• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima on PS5 will run up to 60fps

Duchess

With luck, those of us gaming at 1080p this gen will see 60fps locks (with RT would be a nice bonus, but it's looking like RT results a greater performance hit than initially thought).

Whats with these "up to" 60fps announcements? I'm assuming this means you can prioritize framerate over resolution not that the framerate just sputters around where ever the fuck it wants.

TheDude108

Whats with these "up to" 60fps announcements? I'm assuming this means you can prioritize framerate over resolution not that the framerate just sputters around where ever the fuck it wants.

Probably because these PS4 games are just getting things like frame rates unlocked, not much else is going in to the optimisation so they are covering themselves by saying 'up to'.

klosos

Nice sounds good , i have been waiting to plat GoT for months, my Ps4 pro is loud so i decided to wait for the Ps5 version. seems by what everyone says i am in for a treat .

Kupfer

Any resolution boost or no?
Dynamic 4k

The Sony Bend Studios team talked about the benefits for gamers when playing Days Gone with backward compatibility on a PS5. According to the team, fans can soon look forward to dynamic 4K with up to 60 FPS. In addition, the memory levels can be transferred from PS4 to PS5. In addition to Days Gone, other PS4 titles from Sony have been announced in recent days to take advantage of the power of the next-gen console. These include God of War and Ghost of Tsushima, which will also use dynamic 4K and 60 FPS. The PS5 will be released in Europe on 19 November 2020. Right from the launch, almost all games of the previous generation will be compatible with the new console. Also the loading times of the individual titles should bring mostly significant improvements thanks to the SSD hard disk.

Source

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

Probably because these PS4 games are just getting things like frame rates unlocked, not much else is going in to the optimisation so they are covering themselves by saying 'up to'.
Well that's what enhanced BC is all about isn't it? Running the games in the hardware, instead of just mimic the PS4 without any changes _ like the Pro was doing in its first year or so.
Wasn’t that the big concern about ps5 BC?
Edit: this is not the mid Gen refresh where both companies tryed to force patches to support their 'mid Gen' hardware. It's a new generation and BC.

Last edited:

TheDude108

Well that's what enhanced BC is all about isn't it? Running the games in the hardware, instead of just mimic the PS4 without any changes _ like the Pro was doing in its first year or so.
Wasn’t that the big concern about ps5 BC?

I could be wrong. I took this as the game just running in backward compatibility mode without any "enhancement" patches and just using the additional CPU/GPU power out of the box. Is GoT getting patched for PS5?

I could be misunderstanding "Game Boost". I've been taking that term as just the more CPU/GPU power to run games at more consistent frame rates/resolution (if dynamic resolution is available). Much like the Pros "boost mode" to help older games without much developer input.

Last edited:

Orpheum

I really need to get Ghost of Tsushima since I never got to play it on PS4. Dynamic 4K and 60fps sounds awesome. God of War is confirmed to be getting that as well? Because that’s another game I never got around to playing. Yes, I know how stupid that is.

Didn't see anything on resolution yet. Framerate upgrade is nice though

Dibils2k

yeah old news, wish they would clear up what resolution... i REALLY hope it isnt just for 1080p

i had to play 1080p already on PRO because of fan noise, was looking forward to 100%ing it on PS5 at 1800p along with checking out co-op

borborygmus

Why not a 60fps lock? These CPU’s should be more than capable. What is going on??

I think it just means they can't commit to making a huge effort beyond a basic patch, and if there are parts with frame drops they're not gonna go in and optimize the game.

Honestly, if I could ask for something other than 60fps, it would be for increased LOD distance. The grass in the game is one of its best qualities and I want to see grass for miles babyyy.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Why not a 60fps lock? These CPU’s should be more than capable. What is going on??

Games aren't CPU bound. They are GPU bound and will continue to be. People who "imagined" some significant jump in performance in games from last gen based solely on the CPU wasn't well educated at how game demands work. This was another point of contention that I tried to argue wouldn't really matter in the grand scheme of things for next gen. GPU is everything and going forward will be so in future generations.

I'm a bit disappointed that the PS5 doesn't have enough power to run these PS4 games at native 4k/60FPS. That proves how small of a jump in realworld performance this generation has moved to.

Calverz

Games aren't CPU bound. They are GPU bound and will continue to be. People who "imagined" some significant jump in performance in games from last gen based solely on the CPU wasn't well educated at how game demands work. This was another point of contention that I tried to argue wouldn't really matter in the grand scheme of things for next gen. GPU is everything and going forward will be so in future generations.

I'm a bit disappointed that the PS5 doesn't have enough power to run these PS4 games at native 4k/60FPS. That proves how small of a jump in realworld performance this generation has moved to.
That’s disappointing to hear. I always thought these games were held back significantly by the jaguar cpu’s.

Vick

Honestly, if I could ask for something other than 60fps, it would be for increased LOD distance. The grass in the game is one of its best qualities and I want to see grass for miles babyyy.
Grass rendering distance already blew my mind.

JEz6g6y.png

j8Jim9b.png

uL3hTj8.png

WtMnUv3.png

JNHRgFW.png

Z63CtUN.png

YqMKDm9.png

gsi4U4V.png

3salFRL.png

dITtOZO.png

EOy9tqm.png

Seeing it responding to wind was truly a sight to behold..

Last edited:

FrankWza

SSD in a pro made this better so the PS5 SSD plus the update should as well.

Vick

SSD in a pro made this better so the PS5 SSD plus the update should as well.
Is this true? Not doubting you but it just sounds so weird. Who tested this and where in the game?

If i had to ask for improvements on PS5, LOD would probably not be on top of the list because i loved the very smart solutions the game used (like how getting closer to distant buildings or objects reveals details in the shadow and not the shadow itself like in most games).
What i really want is snow deformation in Kamiagata, and if possible better geometry, higher resolution PCSS and more prominent water interaction.

vkbest

Hhmm well thats a different scenario. The xsx is sinply running sekiro with no optimization for next gen. Whereas the dveloper here has.

Its not different scenario. This game is running as BC mode. Its not a native PS5 game.

Last edited:

That’s interesting.

Was “CPU-bound” ever a legitimate excuse? Back when PS4 Pro was first released, quite a few people on this forum bought into it.

That’s interesting.

Was “CPU-bound” ever a legitimate excuse? Back when PS4 Pro was first released, quite a few people on this forum bought into it.

Digital foundry always called them cpu bound.

Was watching how series x plays xbone games, they singled all games with significant performance boost cpu bound.

Calverz

Its not different scenario. This game is running as BC mode. Its not a native PS5 game.

“PS5 owners playing with Game Boost will see an extra option to allow frame rates up to 60FPS”
This suggests me to me they have implemented this rather than it effectively run it as a ps4 game.

vkbest

“PS5 owners playing with Game Boost will see an extra option to allow frame rates up to 60FPS”
This suggests me to me they have implemented this rather than it effectively run it as a ps4 game.

Yes, they have implemented a 60fps option. You can see Sekiro get 50-60fps on XSX because the framerate was 60fps from beginning but Pro and X couldn't reach. Both games are PS4/Xbox One games running on BC mode. Boost mode on PS5 and BC on XSX is running the PS4/Xbox One games by brute force. They dont have access a new API, Raytracing, and new optimization from the new hardware, even the SSD will be faster but is not using the new techniques.

Don't expect the same performance and load times on BC games than native games.

Last edited:

Calverz

Yes, they have implemented a 60fps option. You can see Sekiro get 50-60fps on XSX because the framerate was 60fps from beginning but Pro and X couldn't reach. Both games are PS4/Xbox One games running on BC mode. Boost mode on PS5 and BC on XSX is running the PS4/Xbox One games by brute force. They dont have access a new API, Raytracing, and new optimization from the new hardware, even the SSD will be faster but is not using the new techniques.

Don't expect the same performance and load times on BC games than native games.
Why bother putting this tweet out in the first place then? Surely this is a given. Id understand if they did enhancements like microsoft game studio games (gears 5, halo mcc and fh4).

confusing messaging imo

vkbest

Why bother putting this tweet out in the first place then? Surely this is a given. Id understand if they did enhancements like microsoft game studio games (gears 5, halo mcc and fh4).

confusing messaging imo

Gears 5 is a new native game you will fully download when you put the disk in the console, its the same for smart delivery games.

Ghost of Tsushima is the same game you install currently on PS4 with an update from internet. Its the same for God of War, Days Gone, etc

On PS5 the equivalent to Gears 5 would be Spiderman Remaster (its not free). Or the announced upgrade games such as, Cyberpunk (2021), Witcher 3, AC Valhalla, Borderlands 3, No Mans Sky, etc.

Anyway, we don't know how is running those games. Sony is using "dynamic 4k", "up to 60fps", etc terminology since they were demanded for Killzone MP resolution.

Last edited:
Top Bottom