• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima |OT| - Summer blade cuts through, the PlayStation shall go on, this is its swan song

PanzerAzel

You know what would be a good spiritual successor or sequel? Someone mentioned wanting yokai, spiritual, supernatural shit like Nioh does and tht would be dope. Imagine including those aspects bcus Jin dies and his journey begins in the after life, full with yokai and supernatural shit. Wow this engine and team could make a nioh type but so much better.
Completely disagree.

The grounded and realistic nature of this is largely what makes it so great, it seems every single game we get on Japan (Nioh, Sekiro) is supernaturally themed. We’ve had enough of that and it’s time for something different. If GoT’s sequel took a supernatural turn I’d be highly disappointed.
I think Arkham Knight and Spiderman's are both better. They are both much better at handling group combat but I GoT with a little polishing could definitely be up there. Its pretty impressive for a first attempt at a melee combat system.
I find GoT’s better solely for the fact that there’s no “bat/spidey” sense to show incoming basic attacks (only to indicate unblockables). This makes the combat feel much more skill and observant contingent and thus far more satisfying. And since there’s no lock-on, you have to be much more aware of your surroundings and take matters more into your own hands to survive.

Batman and Spider-Man’s combat is enjoyable, but I don’t think I’ve ever played a combat system that makes me feel so responsible and rewarded for doing well as GoT’s. There’s nothing I’ve felt similar in other games as I have in this after having taken down eight enemies as efficiently as possible without having taken a single hit.

Last edited:

spartan30gr

4a833ec0-d36e-11ea-b220-066dca9f8100.jpg

fc3c55d0-d36d-11ea-8bae-020d4250b5ee.jpg

idrago01

Banned
I remember watching a YouTuber playing far cry 5 when he was having a normal conversation with an npc and a bobcat comes out of nowhere and pounces and kills her before she can finish her sentence, I love that level of unpredictability in true open world games
Finished the main quest, i'm only missing the last myth and a couple of mongol camps which are tied to it. Overall i thought it was pretty cool but i can see so clearly that the game was designed thinking in something way bigger and they had to cut and adjust to get it out the door in time. The ending felt a little limp mainly because the game never turned the odds against Jin, the final showdown was pretty cool tho, but too short for my taste.
Really looking forward to the sequel.

It was cool in a thematic way to get to choose to kill or spare Shimura, it really captured that idea that killing him was the obvious right choice in the context. They really bang you over the head with the idea that Shimura would never be ok with failing to the shogun since he is an old type samurai and the consequence that if both get to live there would be a inevitable civil war of sorts, so at least letting him die there it's a glimpse of hope for Tsushima and some peace for Shimura since he gets a warriors death instead of living in shame.
I thought the opposite, if he stuck with his samurai code than I would agree with you, but the point of Jin's turn away from his uncle was based on his own logic and reason after he saw the samurai needlessly sacrificing themselves in order to win a battle "with honor" instead of fighting to win. The samurai's stubborness and failure at komoda enabled the mongols to invade, which in turn caused immeasurable suffering to the people of Tsushima and than he was reminded again of this rigid thnking when his uncle sacrificed those soldiers on the bridge. To me, the right answer in the context of Jin's philosophy change would be to spare him, he's not bound by samurai tradition and duty anymore and instead he's doing what he wants and what makes logical sense to him. He's no longer duty bound to do something because it's part of some code, he's doing what he feels is right and practical

Gamernyc78

Banned
Completely disagree.

The grounded and realistic nature of this is largely what makes it so great, it seems every single game we get on Japan (Nioh, Sekiro) is supernaturally themed. We’ve had enough of that and it’s time for something different. If GoT’s sequel took a supernatural turn I’d be highly disappointed.

I find GoT’s better solely for the fact that there’s no “bat/spidey” sense to show incoming basic attacks (only to indicate unblockables). This makes the combat feel much more skill and observant contingent and thus far more satisfying. And since there’s no lock-on, you have to be much more aware of your surroundings and take matters more into your own hands to survive.

Batman and Spider-Man’s combat is enjoyable, but I don’t think I’ve ever played a combat system that makes me feel so responsible and rewarded for doing well as GoT’s. There’s nothing I’ve felt similar in other games as I have in this after having taken down eight enemies as efficiently as possible without having taken a single hit.

That's OK and everyone has their opinion. My comment was based off someone elses who wished to see the supernatural hence I also put "spiritual successor". Both types of games can live mutually. I love this game the way it is but I was playing devils advocate. I have no doubt in my mind that even though this was based "loosely" on a historical event if Sucker would have added yokai and supernatural elements that this would still be a winner. Everyone likes games for different reasons, for me a game first and foremost is made or broken by its combat, if you have great combat and controls (which this would have no matter the paradigm they would have taken) it still would have been dope. it is the reason I hated Witcher 3 and dropped it although it had a good story, it is the reason I plated Bloodborne and played every souls game multiple times 😊❤️

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
Footage from the real Tsushima, there are more similarities than I expected.
Honor shrines are real 1:08 :D

Damn.
I was planning on visiting Japan this year (now pushed back to next year due to the Covid) and I may have to add a visit to Tsushima to the itinerary.

I also finally visited NYC last year after finishing Spider-Man lol

Damn.
I was planning on visiting Japan this year (now pushed back to next year due to the Covid) and I may have to add a visit to Tsushima to the itinerary.

They're getting ready for you.

PanzerAzel

That's OK and everyone has their opinion. My comment was based off someone elses who wished to see the supernatural hence I also put "spiritual successor". Both types of games can live mutually. I love this gane the way it is but I was playing devils advocate. I have no doubt in my mind that even though this was based "loosely" on a historical event if Sucker would have added yokai and supernatural elements that this would still be a winner. Everyone likes games for different reasons, for me a game first and foremost is made or broken by its combat, if you have great combat and controls (which this would have no matter the paradigm they would have taken) it still would have been dope. it is the reason I hated Witcher 3 and dropped it although it had a good story, it is the reason I plated Bloodborne and played every souls game multiple times 😊
Didn’t mean to crap on your opinion and if that’s how it came off I apologize, I’m just so happy to finally be playing a game based around Japanese culture that remains grounded. Though the truth is, I’m a bit biased towards games that take a grounded approach even though I can appreciate when it doesn’t.

For this game, much of that feel stems from the unforgiving nature of the combat, and I think if you introduce supernatural elements into it, you would rob a lot of the feeling of consequence from that.

decisions

Damn.

Is it bad that I have such a fear of oosuzemebachi that I am legitimately afraid to go to rural Japan? lol

PanzerAzel

I finally finished this last night. All I have to say is...

Bravo, Sucker Punch.

e8dCmVM.gif

Take a bow. This is, by miles, my favorite open-world game of all-time, and I can confidently say it's easily one of the best games I've ever played. Everything is so well done: the world is breathtaking in its art direction and combination of color, particles and movement to create a consistently beautiful and dynamic visual experience unblemished by an ugly HUD, exploration never feels boring and is organic (due to the wind) as there's so many distinct areas from one another, the combat has depth, feels brutal, uncompromising, and never ceases to satisfy, the upgrades are useful, the armor sets are bad-ass further made better by an abundant degree of customization options, I found the narrative engaging and the characters and their side stories compelling, those EPIC battle set pieces, intense duels, there was a tangible feeling of progression from starting out as a naive, inexperienced, eager, yet unknown young warrior that grows into a legend around the land by the end, the sound effects and music were extremely well done, and to top it all off, the ending landed perfectly, offered a choice, and gave emotional closure.

Whew. I have to say, I loved every single second of this game.

I think the highest compliment that I can lay at Ghost of Tsushima's feet is that it's just fun. I rarely find myself so enamored with a game as I have been here. When I'm playing it, I'm loving it, and when I'm not playing it, I'm thinking about it. And every time that familiar open-world formulaic fatigue starts creeping in, I simply take a break for the night, come back, and I'm having just as much of a good time. I can't explain why, but Tsushima retained a feeling of freshness throughout its playtime for me and that fatigue was only ever temporal and didn't impact the overall experience. I'm currently starting a second game in Japanese this time and it's even more immersive, despite the ambient NPC chatter being beyond me.

Just......well done, guys. You deserve all the praise for this one, and it's great to see such acclaim in the gaming community for this even if the "professional" reviewers gave this, IMO, far less than it deserves.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
There are two sidequests i remember that imply homosexual relationships, one lesbian and one gay.
Lady Adachi and Yuna seem like strong empowered women.

So we can check those two off.
The problem with woke culture is that its not enough that the game features them, oh no, the characters need to shove their gayness up your throat, the main character meeds to be a PoC, the love interest needs to be trans, otherwise its not “inclusive”.
07DeR9z

Keihart

I remember watching a YouTuber playing far cry 5 when he was having a normal conversation with an npc and a bobcat comes out of nowhere and pounces and kills her before she can finish her sentence, I love that level of unpredictability in true open world games

I thought the opposite, if he stuck with his samurai code than I would agree with you, but the point of Jin's turn away from his uncle was based on his own logic and reason after he saw the samurai needlessly sacrificing themselves in order to win a battle "with honor" instead of fighting to win. The samurai's stubborness and failure at komoda enabled the mongols to invade, which in turn caused immeasurable suffering to the people of Tsushima and than he was reminded again of this rigid thnking when his uncle sacrificed those soldiers on the bridge. To me, the right answer in the context of Jin's philosophy change would be to spare him, he's not bound by samurai tradition and duty anymore and instead he's doing what he wants and what makes logical sense to him. He's no longer duty bound to do something because it's part of some code, he's doing what he feels is right and practical
well yeah, but you are taking uncle's life not Jin's, so in that context you give peace to uncle by killing him and you give Jin peace by sparing him. Leaving uncle alive would of been kinda selfish towards Tsushima and your uncle too.

PanzerAzel

This game really makes me want to learn Japanese.

Anyone out there proficient in it or has attempted to learn it? I hear it isn’t the easiest thing to do.

Last edited:

idrago01

Banned
well yeah, but you are taking uncle's life not Jin's, so in that context you give peace to uncle by killing him and you give Jin peace by sparing him. Leaving uncle alive would of been kinda selfish towards Tsushima and your uncle too.
logically its absurd to kill yourself because of honor and shame, his uncle will now get to have a new family, live like a king, and have an heir. I don’t see how him sparing him is selfish. I think him sparing him fits with the theme to use reason and logic and think for yourself instead of blindly following traditions for the sake of honor

Last edited:

Keihart

logically its absurd to kill yourself because of honor and shame, his uncle will now get to have a new family, live like a king, and have an heir. I don’t see how him sparing him is selfish. I think him sparing him fits with the theme to use reason and logic and think for yourself instead of blindly following traditions for the sake of honor
Because uncle would live in shame, not only conflicted because he now has to hunt Jin for the rest of his days, but also because of how the Shogun and the rest of the people would see him. Uncle is old, you are not going to make him change his ways at that age, letting him live would have been torture for the old man.
Also, the remarriage and stuff would of not happened if he didn't kill Jin. Uncle probably would've of ended up killing himself for falling to the Shogun after that, and sure Jin wouldn't have that blood on his hands, but that's the point. Killing Shimura it's a favor to him no to you. So you either put the burden on uncle or Jin.

It is, this one has actual rewarding exploration, competent combat and a decent story and when you discover a new place it actually looks good and not like some game from 2 gen ago.

But then again, i didn't appreciated bore of the wild very much so i'm a little biased.
Lol no. BotW's exploration is leaps and bounds more rewarding and fun to do.

The only thing GoT does better is it's graphics and arguably it's combat and maaayyyybe it's story. It's a stellar game and I'm enjoying the shit out of it, it's my PlayStation GotY so far, and I don't think that'll change, but BotW is a whole other level of open world design.

I don't even think they should be compared anyways they are so different in what they are trying to accomplish.

Keihart

The only thing GoT does better is it's graphics and arguably it's combat and maaayyyybe it's story. It's a stellar game and I'm enjoying the shit out of it, it's my PlayStation GotY so far, and I don't think that'll change, but BotW is a whole other level of open world design.

I don't even think they should be compared anyways they are so different in what they are trying to accomplish.
Yeah, i agree, BoTW has way better exploration, which honestly could be applied to GoT but i'm not sure the devs want to. There is a demographic that prefers being told where to go in games instead of exploring to which the game it's targeting to.

idrago01

Banned
Because uncle would live in shame, not only conflicted because he now has to hunt Jin for the rest of his days, but also because of how the Shogun and the rest of the people would see him. Uncle is old, you are not going to make him change his ways at that age, letting him live would have been torture for the old man.
Also, the remarriage and stuff would of not happened if he didn't kill Jin. Uncle probably would've of ended up killing himself for falling to the Shogun after that, and sure Jin wouldn't have that blood on his hands, but that's the point. Killing Shimura it's a favor to him no to you. So you either put the burden on uncle or Jin.
This is just how I saw it, but I’m not Japanese my values are western so I obviously am biased and honor killings etc make no sense to me. Jin going against tradition and not killing his uncle was also kind of like him saying I’m done, I’m not a samurai anymore I don’t care about honor or duty I’m just going to live for myself and fight for the people

ToadMan

Damn the second is Ghost in White I guess you killed Shimura huh? Terrible nephew tsk tsk

The outfit you get for letting him live isn’t as cool/striking looking though! That’s the price for not doing the honourable thing .... crappy wardrobe!

ToadMan

Iki would be cool, would be awesome if you could use a boat too....

I really need a sequel where you can build your own samurai clan again.

Yeah I think there are some hooks in the story to allow for DLC at least ...

The shogun forces sent to take over estate. I don’t think it would be appropriate to just go kill them - but perhaps they turn out to be the worst kind of samurai enslaving the locals, arbitrary justice etc and eventually Jin is forced to act. Perhaps that gets him back in the Shogun’s good books.

This dlc should be relatively easy to produce - the samurai models are already there, no new terrain required just some minimal changes to the existing assets to remove some burned down trees and destroyed villages.

The shimura tale is a bit screwed because players may or may not have killed him so SP would have to write the dlc with him being dead no matter what.

Masako, Yuna, Ishiko etc are all still around - their stories could be looked at for dlc.

There is Tomoe - she talked about heading for Kyoto. That’s probably too much for a dlc to go to Kyoto but maybe she can return to Tsushima for a new storyline and adventure.
Kyoto might be a suitable setting for a sequel though

I hope they produce something - I’m
happy to do another play through especially with PS5 improvements.

Last edited:

ToadMan

I really am thinking about running through this again. I just loved being in that world so much.

Wheres my NG+!!!!

I know! It’s rare to platinum a game and still want more...

Im trying to resist until PS5 now but it’s the summer drought!

Last edited:

ToadMan

I'm seriously thinking that maybe the combat systems in GoT could be the best in any open world game. Ever.

This is to me the ground breaking thing about this game.

When I think back a lot of open world games sacrifice combat. Witcher 3 is the easiest example, but even games like RDR have a lot of complaints about the combat.

But GoT seems to have proved that there can be an open world with combat mechanics more usual in a non open world environment.

I can understand the complaints that combat gets too easy - I got to the end without using a fair few few of the tools that much. But equally that shows how great the combat is - using a subset was fun enough for me to want to play more beyond the platinum even.

I hope from here other open world games focus on delivering better combat experiences.

Last edited:

SinDelta

I'm in no hurry to beat this game.
It is beautiful enough to just wander around admiring the scenery.

Everything looks like you are in a movie or a painting.

Kudos to Sucker Punch. Ghost of Tushima is a generational masterpiece that has been nothing but a joy to play.

I long for the future open world games that will learn from its existence.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
I'm a little bit into act2. I bumped the difficulty up and am having a good time.

It's weird how... Simple the game feels, but it's also just really pleasant.

Beautiful, graphically. And the combat is fun.

If the terrain was less flat, you could make a really cool version of death standing in this art style

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

DLC? I hope not. Just because a game is good that doesn't mean it has be milked for DLCs and sequels. This was a good story with a proper beginning and a great ending, there is no need for more.
Let SP focus on next-gen only and preferably another new IP.

ToadMan

DLC? I hope not. Just because a game is good that doesn't mean it has be milked for DLCs and sequels. This was a good story with a proper beginning and a great ending, there is no need for more.
Let SP focus on next-gen only and preferably another new IP.

I feel the opposite. This is a good game I want dlc to play this version more

Sequels imply a requirement to be bigger and better but often the changes dilute the game.

Dark souls 2/3 for example.

So yeah, I’ll take dlc now and enjoy the gameplay of this one before risking the bloat of a sequel.

Reading some rough translated Japanese comments on various social media platforms about the game has been interesting and entertaining.

It ranges from confusion about it "really?" being a western developed game, frustration that it was foreigners who reminded them of how beautiful their own country can be, to dissatisfaction and disappointment in their own internal studios for not having provided/being incapable of producing an equivalent historical period drama, with a serious/semi-realistic tone, without compromising it some way (pretty boy leads or being wacky). One user went after Koei and how unserious their historical and musou games are. Another user even went so far as to say that its a game only a western studio would be able to make because they can see Japan from a objective angle.

Some folks are expressing a sincere and deep gratitude towards Sucker punch for making such a game. Some are already saying its a certified GOTY (Its funny they use the expression "God game"/"godly game" to denote a really good game). They generally seem to be postive and/or in awe.

Suggestions for new places in a sequel have already been thrown around with locations like Sekigahara, fukuoka, and, Hakata. I guess, Sucker punch managed to create something that resonates very well with the Japanese gaming community and couple with that with the priaise from Nagoshi it looks like they outdid themselves. Looking forward to giving it a shot some time.

GymWolf

Gold Member

Yep, very much rewarding with samey shrines, breakable weapons and some korok seeds, lol...

Let's just agree to disagree.

Last edited:

Cyborg

Damn this game is amazing! Love the combat, how it looks and plays. Im going way to slow!
And I enjoy sidequests a lot! Some of them are outstanding

ToadMan

Reading some rough translated Japanese comments on various social media platforms about the game has been interesting and entertaining.

It ranges from confusion about it "really?" being a western developed game, frustration that it was foreigners who reminded them of how beautiful their own country can be, to dissatisfaction and disappointment in their own internal studios for not having provided/being incapable of producing an equivalent historical period drama, with a serious/semi-realistic tone, without compromising it some way (pretty boy leads or being wacky). One user went after Koei and how unserious their historical and musou games are. Another user even went so far as to say that its a game only a western studio would be able to make because they can see Japan from a objective angle.

Some folks are expressing a sincere and deep gratitude towards Sucker punch for making such a game. Some are already saying its a certified GOTY (Its funny they use the expression "God game"/"godly game" to denote a really good game). They generally seem to be postive and/or in awe.

Suggestions for new places in a sequel have already been thrown around with locations like Sekigahara, fukuoka, and, Hakata. I guess, Sucker punch managed to create something that resonates very well with the Japanese gaming community and couple with that with the priaise from Nagoshi it looks like they outdid themselves. Looking forward to giving it a shot some time.

I think in many ways it would’ve been difficult for a Japanese company to have made this game.

Given the current China - Japan relations, a game featuring Mongols would have riled the Chinese even more if a Japanese company had created it. SP get away with the cultural insensitivity up to a point.

For a Japanese company they’d probably have to have invented a mythical enemy and that would’ve compromised the realism elements straight away.

Then there’s the Japanese game scene where games like this don’t have a home at the moment. In making a game for western audiences set in Japan, SP may have inadvertently created new genre of game in the Japanese market and perhaps we’ll see some studios put out more grounded games going forward.

I’d really love to see the Japanese game industry bring some of their ideas to more realistic settings. I enjoy Japanese gameplay but getting over the anime inspired characters and stories can be hard work.

Finally I don’t think Japanese should beat up on their own industry for not making a game like GOT. A lot of the best games (and indeed Movies and Novels) are created by teams who aren’t from the culture but research it carefully to find the key elements.

GOT is like a love letter to Japan - it recognises and emphasises the “attractive” qualities. When one looks in the mirror every day, it’s not so easy to see those attractive qualities.

Top Bottom