• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima |OT| - Summer blade cuts through, the PlayStation shall go on, this is its swan song

Pantz

Restarted game on new hardest difficulty because I got sidetracked with other stuff and don't really mind. This time I'm using a randomizer to assign my skill points to spice things up even more. Excited to see how weird of a Samurai I end up with.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Love the pirate stuff in this. Earlier I snuck onto two ships w Mongol pirates and got some loot. Now I’m searching for this other pirate who lives in a cove. It’s cool cos pirates played a big role historically in these war. And I always love the chance to fight pirates in a video game!

These stories tho... damn... this is some harrowing shit. Really well done capturing the horror of the old wars.

“They slaughtered my whole family, like animals”

“Then I will hunt them down like animals”

Last edited:
Anybody able to explain to me which weapons are the best?

I have like 5 swords now and i can't tell which one is good and which one is bad. There is no stat display of any kind anywhere.

idrago01

Banned
Love the pirate stuff in this. Earlier I snuck onto two ships w Mongol pirates and got some loot. Now I’m searching for this other pirate who lives in a cove. It’s cool cos pirates played a big role historically in these war. And I always love the chance to fight pirates in a video game!

These stories tho... damn... this is some harrowing shit. Really well done capturing the horror of the old wars.

“They slaughtered my whole family, like animals”

“Then I will hunt them down like animals”
i stumbled upon one randomly where the mongols made a father pick which of his two sons they would kill
and than the father threw himself into the river for feeling guilt after choosing one over the other

Last edited:
5 swords? Uhm... there’s only 1 sword in the game 🤔
The "swords" you have are sword kits, i.e., for display only. Changing the look doesn't change the stats. You only have one sword in terms of stats.
Oh Shit. They're just cosmetic? Thanks for clearing that up. I will save my flowers for more important upgrades then.

One last question. I hear the Sakai Clan Armour is the best if you want to play aggressive. I don't want to progress too far into the story to get it.

What is the best early game armour? I am like only 6 main story quests into the game and really want to farm the island of all its activities to level up as much as possible before progressing with the main quest.

Keihart

Oh Shit. They're just cosmetic? Thanks for clearing that up. I will save my flowers for more important upgrades then.

One last question. I hear the Sakai Clan Armour is the best if you want to play aggressive. I don't want to progress too far into the story to get it.

What is the best early game armour? I am like only 6 main story quests into the game and really want to farm the island of all its activities to level up as much as possible before progressing with the main quest.
I have played most of the game with the traveler outfit without resistance charms, unless you are having trouble i would recommend going for what you think it looks cool mostly. Travelers outfit helps you finding collectibles and Jin's armor will improve your standoff, i have not seen any other armor perk as meaningful as those, all the other stuff are like stats and such.
Also flowers, they are for cosmetics only, you use them as currency for dyes.

I have played most of the game with the traveler outfit without resistance charms, unless you are having trouble i would recommend going for what you think it looks cool mostly. Travelers outfit helps you finding collectibles and Jin's armor will improve your standoff, i have not seen any other armor perk as meaningful as those, all the other stuff are like stats and such.
Also flowers, they are for cosmetics only, you use them as currency for dyes.
Thanks. I think Traveller would be good to find stuff.

I just didn't know its good practice to equip the armor for whatever 'activity' you are doing. Like i want to find hidden treasures around the map, then the travellers outfit has to be equipped.
Same for when i come across bandits, switch to Jin's armour for the higher damage stats.

Learning this game as I go along and its fascinating these little things you find out. I mean i'm also getting my head around the different charms as well.
Have my Deflection Skill tree all maxed out so combat should not be as stressful.

idrago01

Banned
The tadayori armor increases your bow reload speed and has another perk that increases concentration time after every head shot when using the bow and arrow, I picked off like 6 people in a row before the slow time lapsed. For just pure swordplay the gosaku armor is the best due to the stagger buffs.

The tadayori armor increases your bow reload speed and has another perk that increases concentration time after every head shot when using the bow and arrow, I picked off like 6 people in a row before the slow time lapsed. For just pure swordplay the gosaku armor is the best due to the stagger buffs.
I LOVE this game for the mythic tales and how well done they are. These feel almost like main quests.

I mean the battle for Tadayori's armour was EPIC. This game continues to blow me away.

idrago01

Banned
I LOVE this game for the mythic tales and how well done they are. These feel almost like main quests.

I mean the battle for Tadayori's armour was EPIC. This game continues to blow me away.
That battle was good, the major battles are also well done, I know it’s been done to death but something about seeing your old allies fighting next to you that never gets old in games

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I rock traveler usually but when I get into a rumble I might switch to ronin or samurai

is there really no way to see how many hours played?

Last edited:
They’re all the Clan Sakai sword, dressed up differently. I thought they were all different as well until halfway through.
That battle was good, the major battles are also well done, I know it’s been done to death but something about seeing your old allies fighting next to you that never gets old in games
I really appreciate you guys for the feedback. I just sneaked in a quick 15 minute remote play session from work and figured out i didnt even have any charms equipped on my weapons. On top of that i didn't upgrade any of my armour either despite having comfortably over 1000 supplies and other large volumes of wood, flowers etc.

So i pushed my Samuari armour to level 5 i think, just one level below max. And pushed my Travelers attire to one level off of max as well.

Now with both my two main armor for combat and exploration almost maxxed out, i can't wait to get home to try them out and explore more of the island for side quests and mythic tales.

Not sure what was your first example. If it was Halo dual stick, I took that as an attempt at mockery, not a serious example. Aside, to differentiate consoles from PC says nothing, there can be equal innovations in each context so I don't even know why you pulled systems wars nonsense into the picture. I suppose what I'm wondering is, what is the differentiating factor for you between it being a "nice feature" and "revolutionary"? You mention Portal, which makes me believe that you wouldn't consider it revolutionary unless the entire game's predicated on this one mechanic that the entire game revolves itself around.

To its definition:

-of, pertaining to, characterized by, or of the nature of a revolution, or a sudden, complete, or marked change:a revolutionary junta.

-radically new or innovative; outside or beyond established procedure, principles, etc.:

I differ in that I don't view revolution in the macro, there can be micro revolutions just as well, and to no less merit. In fact, most games in an established genre are culminations of smaller breakthroughs and gradual evolutions, and sometimes revolutions. The wind mechanic, IMO, is one of the latter. I've never seen navigation accomplished so organically in any game, PC or otherwise, and until you can name me one that does, I have trouble taking you seriously.

You're reading too much into it. If you view it as something revolutionary then more power to you.

I don't because at the end of the day I still open up my map that is magically populated with question marks, select a waypoint and swipe on touchpad every couple of seconds to check if distance to my destination is decreasing and that I'm going in the right direction. And once I get close enough there's a big ass marker on my HUD that points to the exact spot.

So yeah, it's a cool feature that could be taken further by:

- removing exploration markers from the map completely, they show you the exact position of everything down to a millimeter.
- removing distance left counter from the screen. It's just stupid and immersion breaking in the context of what wind feature wants to achieve.
- removing HUD waypoint that is displayed once you get close enough and replacing it with another effect (wind stopping completely or something like that).

Kamina

Golden Boy

Accusations of cultural appropriation and people who didn't even play the game... scored the game low.
A review that scored it low for not showing male full frontal nudity from Vice.....

Professional reviews have become a joke.

The bst part was at 17:25, where she takes on the accusation of many woke reviewers that claim “gamers are entitled and always want games to cater to their demands, not letting developers have their expressive freedom and wanting games to aways fit into the same niche”, which isnt true as seen in many games, while in reality its true about woke reviewers who criticize games harshly because they dont fit their world view or dont feature the facets of their own preferred niche.
No game these days is acceptable if it doesn't include at least one or more prominently featured members of the LGBTQ* community or a PoC. The game is set in medieval europe? “Where are my PoCs!😡

Yes, game reviews these days really are a joke when a magazine criticizes the lack of dick in a game, which i haven’t seen in many games to begin with, and rate it low partially because of it, but would be absolutely outraged if another game showed a vagina and in turn rate it low the same or worse even refuse to write an article about it due to appropriation of sexism against females or something along these lines.

Ghost of Tsushima is an awesome game. Certainly not perfect, but what is perfect to begin with?
It deserves at least an average rating in the high 80s but cant reach it due to moronic “game journalists“ who nitpick about irrelevant bullshit, unnecessary cultural details not even the culture in question itself is bothered about, or things that dont even need to be in the game to begin with.

The less attention is given to game journalism, the less of an influence will they have on the market in general.

Last edited:

PanzerAzel

You're reading too much into it. If you view it as something revolutionary then more power to you.

I don't because at the end of the day I still open up my map that is magically populated with question marks, select a waypoint and swipe on touchpad every couple of seconds to check if distance to my destination is decreasing and that I'm going in the right direction. And once I get close enough there's a big ass marker on my HUD that points to the exact spot.

So yeah, it's a cool feature that could be taken further by:

- removing exploration markers from the map completely, they show you the exact position of everything down to a millimeter.
- removing distance left counter from the screen. It's just stupid and immersion breaking in the context of what wind feature wants to achieve.
- removing HUD waypoint that is displayed once you get close enough and replacing it with another effect (wind stopping completely or something like that).
Have you tried playing with the expert HUD on? It removes all waypoint markers when you're in relative proximity and R2 only appears when you're literally standing within feet of your objective. You really have to depend on the wind for everything. As for distance, it is never shown (only when you set a new objective on the map) unless the player asks for it by swiping up so I don't see how that's analogous.

People can downplay the wind all they want, it is an innovation and I'd qualify it as revolutionary to navigation in that it breaks away from the established norms we've been playing with for many years. Sure, I'll concede that it's largely superficial, but it doesn't need to be deep or completely reinvent navigation and map usage to be revolutionary. Small steps.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
ha5H5Le.jpg

JUzpXUw.jpg

I’m in love with Ghost of Tsushima

Just finished it.

I enjoyed the story and characters. Music and visuals are top notch. Combat is very fun. The world feels alive. The way wind affects everything is pretty cool. The world in most open world games seem so static and bland in comparison.

It is very repetitive and not dynamic at all. When you see mongols fighting a bear, it's always two soldiers. They will spawn and stand still until you're close enough to see them. Boars always spawn in three. It's very immersion breaking when you can "see the strings".

By the beggining of Act III i had nearly every ability and most armors maxed out. The game became so easy i was bored most of the time. Any encounter would play mostly the same way. The only way to make it more challenging was by handcapping myself.

It really feels like Sony's take on Assassin's Creed. Many of the mechanics and abilities are very similar. But unlice AC, GoT has a soul.

I'd give it an 8 out 10. It's an amazing game. I had a great time and i'd love to see DLC.

My favorite enemies by far are the japanese swordsmen. And i love the duels. I wish there was more of it.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Tell you what I’m struggling with and please tell me if I’m a dumbass, I start a mission /side quest whatever and it’s like ‘look for this’ or ‘go and find that’ but there’s nothing on the screen to indicate where I need to go and have often found myself leaving the mission area and having a countdown clock to get back.

What am I doing wrong here or is it really a case of trial and error?

Hope I’m explaining properly.

Tell you what I’m struggling with and please tell me if I’m a dumbass, I start a mission /side quest whatever and it’s like ‘look for this’ or ‘go and find that’ but there’s nothing on the screen to indicate where I need to go and have often found myself leaving the mission area and having a countdown clock to get back.

What am I doing wrong here or is it really a case of trial and error?

Hope I’m explaining properly.
Mostly look for tracks in well trodden pathways, but it should be actually starting very close to where the game first tells to look for signs, just look down and try to see the door prints and then an instruction will pop to 'track'
Also touchpad up asks for guiding wind which may help in general direction even in missions.

GymWolf

Gold Member
The problem for me with Nioh's stance system is that it was never really clear which stance or weapon combination was the best for any given enemy. Some moves seemed better than others, but I never really got comfortable with it.
That's the point, there is not a correct stance for a correct enemy like in tsushima, you only have more choice in your arsenal, it's more deep than tsushima where it's only an arbitrary "make more damage to a certain type of enemy" thing.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Finished the game. One of the best open worlds I’ve ever played, and probably one of the best games of this generation, period. It’s such beautiful, generous game that’s just a joy to play at every turn with a world that begs to be explored. Easily sucker punch’s best game, and I’ve played them all. Holy shit, what a way to end the generation.

It’s also worth noting that the game is brimming with strong, fleshed-out female characters that don’t look like they take male hormones or grunt like apes when they fight. Bravo to SP for putting the focus on entertaining the player and not pushing political idealogy on us.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Finished the game. One of the best open worlds I’ve ever played, and probably one of the best games of this generation, period. It’s such beautiful, generous game that’s just a joy to play at every turn with a world that begs to be explored. Easily sucker punch’s best game, and I’ve played them all. Holy shit, what a way to end the generation.

It’s also worth noting that the game is brimming with strong, fleshed-out female characters that don’t look like they take male hormones or grunt like apes when they fight. Bravo to SP for putting the focus on entertaining the player and not pushing simplistic, Marxist political idealogy on us.
But where are the black characters and the gay characters???
Why is none of the Samurais a strong determined woman or transgender?
source.png

I haven't done everything but one of the side Missions kinda hinted that one male NPC was having a relationship with a married man that was killed. Unless I understood it wrong.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
source.png
There is at least one gay guy and one lesbian woman in the sidequest, i don't wanna spoiler much.

And you have at least 3 stronk women but they are all likeable for the most part.

Last edited:
Fought a random group last night and one of the archers ran away, I picked up all the supplies on the ground and called my horse..... found the archer fighting a bear very unsuccessfully a bit down the road / trail.
I love that type of emergent stuff.

I wish there was more of that... I like that you can set the grass on fire too, that is very BOTW.

When you light the fire in the lighthouses, nintendo would make you do that through a mechanic rather than it happening in a cutscene....so I hope they think about making these part of the mechanics in future.

Also as we have been discussing, gambling, drinking, fishing and other activities to flesh out the world. Gwent was a big part of the Witcher.

Anything else open world tropey u'd like to add? Climbing towers to reveal the map? Killing vermin missions? This game has the right amount of bloat. It doesn't need more.

Just did my first mythic quest and holy shit Heavenly Strike, really good stuff. The way they set-up everything was really cool, and the end of the quest is awesome.

Seriously, this game is just that great. I've probably clocked around +10 hours and I can't stop exploring, I've barely proceed with the narrative after Khan throws Jin of the bridge :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Trying to get that perfect parry right, it's tricky, not gonna lie.

It's near Spring Falls area.

Kamina

Golden Boy
source.png

I haven't done everything but one of the side Missions kinda hinted that one male NPC was having a relationship with a married man that was killed. Unless I understood it wrong.
There are two sidequests i remember that imply homosexual relationships, one lesbian and one gay.
Lady Adachi and Yuna seem like strong empowered women.

So we can check those two off.
The problem with woke culture is that its not enough that the game features them, oh no, the characters need to shove their gayness up your throat, the main character meeds to be a PoC, the love interest needs to be trans, otherwise its not “inclusive”.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
That's the point, there is not a correct stance for a correct enemy like in tsushima, you only have more choice in your arsenal, it's more deep than tsushima where it's only an arbitrary "make more damage to a certain type of enemy" thing.

Oh I get that, and see why many people prefer it, but it was just choice overload for me. I still loved the game and beat it and the DLC. I mostly ended up using a specific spear stance that I found to be reliable against just about all enemies.

Top Bottom