• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima |OT| - Summer blade cuts through, the PlayStation shall go on, this is its swan song

Keihart

I don't know man, looks pretty dynamic to me.

ezgif-7-c3bf2472abfc.gif
That's the same wind that worked on the base game, nothing new.
Do you bend grass and have particles reacting when you fight or run?
Also, while wind was part of the character of W3 visuals too, it looked comical at times just like in your gif with that big ass tree trunk almost breaking and the small branches barely moving.

I mean, i won't say that GoT it's a perfect game, but i also wouldn't say that the old ass of W3 is over GoT visual achievments.

Last edited:
Okay, okay. No need to get too excited. I leave you with few The Witcher 3 screenshots:

bEwXgeT.jpg

KOjAhwr.jpg

tismVT8.jpg

bRElh7z.jpg

Ojw7Yft.jpg

G3SxVdc.jpg

uRMGytl.jpg

9euo3i3.jpg
Comparing a fully modded PC version to a console exclusive... compare stock console W3 to GoT and you will see the bland graphics. Also even the modded have not so great lighting and shadowing, looking at flat as paper flowers.. yeah they are colorful and sharp but no AO no shadow looks terrible on them, while modded night time looks absolutely like crushed black levels and missing crucial in shadow details bc the game lighting system is not the cutting edge due to game being a bit old now. CP2077 must have that at least even on consoles.

idrago01

Banned
This is the modded version of the game you are comparing it too? i only see high res and increased density while assets still look super flat and static. I bet that grass doesn't bend and you can't make leafs fly while running over them nor do i see volumetric fog reacting to light and a bunch of critters based on particles...
I mean, if i had to compare those screenshots to what i've played of GoT, i would still find GoT more impressive even if those screenshot look sharper. Also, mind you i playerd witcher 3 combat on death march, and it sucks ass compared to GoT even if more challenging. The bases of the combat in W3 are pretty flawed.

No, what i do think W3 has over GoT it's the writing of side quests and characters, W3 has the same charm than something like Yakuza games in their sidequests, SP tries to achieve it in GoT but you can tell that they ended up short of time to implement them correctly in the scope they wanted, because there are a couple of quests very reminiscent of the ones in W3 but it's not the norm.
I’d have to say Witcher 3 heavily modded does beat GOT at least in my opinion there’s quite a few poor textures in GOT if u look closely and the draw distance obviously doesn’t compare to pc. I also believe this was one of the first games that had grasses bending in response to the character walking over it if I remember correctly. I will admit facial animation shows it’s age compared to GOT, RDR2, or lou2, they just seem very stiff and robotic, plus the occasional euro jank with some animations.

Bryank75

Banned
Nah I think Witcher 3 is the most important game this generation, just like dark souls before it, everyone copies it’s formula. I can sympathize with the other poster who is not completely overwhelmed with GOT’s graphics though, I also modded Witcher and even AC odyssey with reshade looks better to be honest. I think the story and pacing, combat, and environmental art design with interesting particle effects and physics system is what really sets it apart.
Demons Souls came way before Dark Souls...

Found all the things you mentioned bog standard in W3 apart from (as I said) characters and side quests... the story is just 'find girl'.... lol

idrago01

Banned
That's the same wind that worked on the base game, nothing new.
Do you bend grass and have particles reacting when you fight or run?
Also, while wind was part of the character of W3 visuals too, it looked comical at times just like in your gif with that big ass tree trunk almost breaking and the small branches barely moving.

I mean, i won't say that GoT it's a perfect game, but i also wouldn't say that the old ass of W3 is over GoT visual achievments.

I think both games look great but the occasional poor textures, terrible draw distance compared to pc, low res lods, heavy motion blur, and pixelation/checker boarding shows the limitations with the ps4 hardware. I’ll say ac odyssey with reshade, ultimate settings, and 4k/1440p beats both. Especially considering it also can run over 60fps with a good enough computer.

Bryank75

Banned
I think both games look great but the occasional poor textures, terrible draw distance compared to pc, low res lods, heavy motion blur, and pixelation/checker boarding shows the limitations with the ps4 hardware. I’ll say ac odyssey with reshade, ultimate settings, and 4k/1440p beats both. Especially considering it also can run over 60fps with a good enough computer.
I think AC Odyssey looked bland as fuck. A game where they just copy / pasted for miles and has no personality at all.

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
sounds awful.
Next step would be having an universal auto counter and a big glowing aura in every enemy attacking, also now they take turns.

So you'd sooner have to hit R2, move through the 4 choices, pick a stance (having to remember it) rather than pick a stance simply by hitting R2? Nothing would change other than not having to mess about with menus. It's perfection and I'm certain if SP had done it, people would be saying how fantastic it was.

Last edited:
So in summary: we all have our tastes. What I see as pristine image quality other people see as "FLAT", etc. And that's cool.

I hope there will be a PS5 patch or maybe PC release down the line so this game can reach its full potential!

GymWolf

I'm going to start Ghost of Tsushima soon, I'm just wondering if it's best to play the game on the new Lethal difficulty?

Just because a common complaint I heard is that the game is too easy.
On hard both you and enemies take more damage before dying.

On lethal both you and the enemies die with a couple of hits.

If you use all the tools at your disposal the game is still ultra easy on both difficulty levels, so it's your choice.

Last edited:

GymWolf

One thing that would vastly improve the flow of combat is having a 'picker' NOT a 'lock on'. I kind of like the lack of a lock on. It takes a bit of getting used to but works well. So instead of pressing R2 and choosing a stance, meaning you have to also remember which stance is best against which enemy, you simply aim your protagonist towards your adversary and hit R2. That then 'picks' the stance you need to best fight him/her. I'm sure you'll agree, that's a much better solution.
You don't have to remember what stance is good against a certain type of enemies, the icons have a sword, a shield, a spear and a big guy to help you, it's already brainless and deep as a puddle as it is, no need for automatic stance system...

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
You don't have to remember what stance is good against a certain type of enemies, the icons have a sword, a shield, a spear and a big guy to help you, it's already brainless and deep as a puddle as it is, no need for automatic stance system...

It's not an automatic stance system. Are you actually reading what I'm writing? You are 'picking' the stance. My method removes the necessity for a menu, that's all. It's slicker, allowing for much more fluid gameplay.

Last edited:

GymWolf

It's not an automatic stance system. Are you actually reading what I'm writing? You are 'picking' the stance. My method removes the necessity for a menu, that's all. It's slicker.
From your post:

So instead of pressing R2 and choosing a stance, meaning you have to also remember which stance is best against which enemy, you simply aim your protagonist towards your adversary and hit R2. That then 'picks' the stance you need to best fight him/her.

It sound like an automatism to me, and the combat is already simple enough without removing agency from the players, and like i said, you don't need to remember anything, the icons have a sword, a shieldetc. In it to let you know what enemy is associated with that stance, and even if it wasn't, you only have 4 archetype of enemoes in the game plus archers, it's ultra easy to remember what stance you have to use after a while, it's not like you have 20 different stances.

For you it's more slick, for me it's making an already basic combat even more basic taking away even that little of agency the player has because you don't have to "remember" what stance is good for.

Maybe i don't understand what you are saying tho.

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
From your post:

So instead of pressing R2 and choosing a stance, meaning you have to also remember which stance is best against which enemy, you simply aim your protagonist towards your adversary and hit R2. That then 'picks' the stance you need to best fight him/her.

It sound like an automatism to me, and the combat is already simple enough without removing agency from the players, and like i said, you don't need to remember anything, the icons have a sword, a shieldetc. In it to let you know what enemy is associated with that stance, and even if it wasn't, you only have 4 archetype of enemoes in the game plus archers, it's ultra easy to remember what stance you have to use after a while, it's not like you have 20 different stances.

For you it's more slick, for me it's making an already basic combat even more basic taking away even that little of agency the player has because you don't have to "remember" what stance is good for.

Maybe i don't understand what you are saying tho.

Hitting R2 is 'automated'?

Current method: Hold R2 when facing the enemy, hit triangle, square, circle or X. During this time a menu is on the screen.
My method: hit R2 when facing the enemy.

Neither are automated. Mine is slicker.

GymWolf

Current method: Hold R2 when facing the enemy, hit triangle, square, circle or X. During this time a menu is on the screen.

It is automated because the game choose the best stance for you by just pressing r2, i don't know how you can say the opposite, you want the game removing agency of choosing the stance from the players, if this is not an automatism that make the combat even more brainless i don't know what to say.

What about the game deciding by itself if it's better to do a light or heavy attack based on how much guard meter the enemy has while you just have to press one attack button? It's the same theory but you understand where i'm going...

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
It is automated because the game choose the best stance for you by just pressing r2, i don't know how you can say the opposite, you want the game removing agency of choosing the stance from the players, if this is not an automatism that make the combat even more brainless i don't know what to say.

What about the game deciding by itself if it's better to do a light or heavy attack based on how much guard meter the enemy has while you just have to press one attack button? It's the same theory but you understand where i'm going...

You don't have to choose a new stance if you don't want to just as you don't have to choose a new stance in the current system. I wouldn't want the game to pick for me, that would take away any player agency. Sometimes you have swordsmen and shield bearers surrounding you. To be able to dip in and out of stances with a single button press would make the fighting more fluid. If you don't want to do that, don't press the button and keep it on stone or any other stance of your choice. You'd still have the current system there if you wanted to jump into the menu.

Keihart

So you'd sooner have to hit R2, move through the 4 choices, pick a stance (having to remember it) rather than pick a stance simply by hitting R2? Nothing would change other than not having to mess about with menus. It's perfection and I'm certain if SP had done it, people would be saying how fantastic it was.
I mean, have you ever played an action game? DMC, Bayonetta? you only have to build muscle memory. Hell, Dante has 4 stances and 8 weapons to CYCLE through without slow mo, why would i think that somehow having the dexterity and attention to select 1 of 4 stances with the help of a slow mo it's suddenly a problem?

Last edited:

GymWolf

You don't have to choose a new stance if you don't want to just as you don't have to choose a new stance in the current system. I wouldn't want the game to pick for me, that would take away any player agency. Sometimes you have swordsmen and shield bearers surrounding you. To be able to dip in and out of stances with a single button press would make the fighting more fluid. If you don't want to do that, don't press the button and keep it on stone or any other stance of your choice. You'd still have the current system there if you wanted to jump into the menu.
I don't know man, maybe it's because i already find the combat very very easy in this game so not having to manually choose a stance sound like another unnecessary help to the players...

We can argue that sometimes choosing stances when you are surrounded is not the slickest thing in the universe ok, but you can really fuck up any enemies with any stance if you fight more with perfect parries and evasion like i do, so it's not really a big thing if sometimes i choose the wrong stance in the heat of the moment.

Just having to press r2 while facing an enemy to change stance seems like something that far harder games needs, not this one.

Last edited:

Keihart

It's not slicker dude, you are taking away agency with a design like that, might as well remove the stances and have the character do different animations based on the enemy.
Mind you that now, i only find it fun because you are NOT REQUIRED to use a specific stance against any enemy and you can just use the one you like, for example, hitting enemies with the charge kick from the spear stance allows you to 2 hit every non brute enemy, in your "fix" if there are no spear enemies you rob the player of that freedom.
Same for the water stance flurry, that move it's effective against swords and shields, so if you have that mix of enemies close by, it's a good risk to take since shields are harder with the sword stance. There is some nuance.
Even more aggravating i think, it's the notion that the selection of a stance with a slow down it's too much mechanical complexity.

This is a key difference between this game and something like AC or Batman for example. Games in which i really don't enjoy combat because of it's over simplification rather than difficulty.

Last edited:

PanzerAzel

I don't want to to shit on GoT, I like the game. It's just nothing groundbreaking.
Can you name me another open-world game that incorporates navigation so organically as GoT does? I think the wind mechanic isn’t being given it’s due credit; I for one view it as revolutionary and very groundbreaking in this respect. It made exploring the world far more exciting and natural than some artificial marker on the screen all the time that every other open-world has done previously.

Can you name me another open-world game that incorporates navigation so organically as GoT does? I think the wind mechanic isn’t being given it’s due credit; I for one view it as revolutionary and very groundbreaking in this respect. It made exploring the world far more exciting and natural than some artificial marker on the screen all the time that every other open-world has done previously.
I already said it's a nice feature. Groundbreaking? Not necessary.

I still open the map, look for '?", tag it as my waypoint, close the map, swipe on touchpad, go in direction the wind is blowing and check if the distance to the target (in the top left corner) is decreasing every 5 seconds. And once I'm close enough I see a waypoint on my hud.

They should take it one step further. No markers at all on your map for exploration stuff (birds and foxes are already there to guide you) + no distance left counter + no waypoint icon visible once you get close enough to your destination.

Also the wind effect could be nicer and more subtle... but it's definitely a step in the right direction!

Last edited:

Sorc3r3r

It gives you choices on how to play but you can still play with just sword combat, parry, block and attack with a few new combos if you want more challenge.... they will throw more and stronger enemies at you later though!

Yeah, I'm not putting skill points nor upgrading anything untill it will become obvious that i MUST do it.

Ar¢tos

It's not an automatic stance system. Are you actually reading what I'm writing? You are 'picking' the stance. My method removes the necessity for a menu, that's all. It's slicker, allowing for much more fluid gameplay.
So you want to take away the little choice that exists and turn the game into a button masher?
Is pressing one button and remembering 4 positions and what they do that difficult?

Why even fight then? They could make the game auto fighting and you just move the character towards the enemies.

Why even play? They can make it a CGI movie where you don't have to move a finger and just sit and watch trophies pop.

Nice mod version dude
Show us and the combat animation now! from witcher!!compared to ghost of tsushima
I never claimed that Witcher's combat animations are superior. It's a superior looking game as an overall package. There are some areas where Ghost of Tsushima will look better, obviously, there's a 5 years gap in game engine technology and techniques. Volumetric lighting is another such area.

I'm not ignorant, I can see and recognize each games strengths and weaknesses.

devilNprada

By the end of the second act I had the stances down pretty good. After that i thought changing stances during fights became a fun aspect of combat.

devilNprada

By the end of the second act I had the stances down pretty good. After that i thought changing stances during fights became a fun aspect of combat.

Edit: If I were going to ask for something it would be a simpler way to changeout armor, charms and especially ghost weapons..... Maybe i missed something on the ghost weapon changout?

Klayzer

Well guiding wind wasn't in any game before... many of the improvements are just in the way they are implemented.

There hasn't been an open world that is as vibrant and colorful as this and the dynamic motion of the grass and trees makes other open-worlds looks static and lifeless in comparison which is massive in an open-world game.

Also many games depend on mountains that cannot be climbed to lock you into the playable area.... not so here.

It just has a far more elegant way of structuring the open-world, where other games are dependent on hud, text and prompts that intrude and take you out of the experience.

The short load times and fast-travel is also key to this.

Many open-world games fall short on combat..RDR2, AC, Witcher 3. GOT puts all of those to shame in terms of gameplay and combat.
Man, some people have a hard time giving credit to a Sony developed game. Its always some backhanded but this or that.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
OK, after like 15 hours I finally got the grappling hook. Holy shit, I was not expecting a game changing tool this far into the game, but I have really been taking my time and doing everything on the map. Still in the first act/lower power of the island, so maybe I've been taking it a bit too slowly. I've already unlocked all of the stances and tools and upgraded the badass armor to max.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Love the stances. I could never get into them in Nioh but here it’s so easy to change on the fly

The problem for me with Nioh's stance system is that it was never really clear which stance or weapon combination was the best for any given enemy. Some moves seemed better than others, but I never really got comfortable with it.

GlockSaint

Guys how do you get the e3 costume? It looks like the ronin one but it's not quite like it? Like it's missing the cape like thingy.

GlockSaint

The stance system is way too easy x for swords cause they have an x shape (with dual swords and what not)
square for thick bois cause they're large
Triangle for spears and circle for shields for very obvious reasons. I personally like to go for the five hit shield attack after guard break or the the stab attack from stone stance, it kills most enemies pretty fast. Act 3 big boys are damage sponges though.

PanzerAzel

I already said it's a nice feature. Groundbreaking? Not necessary.

I still open the map, look for '?", tag it as my waypoint, close the map, swipe on touchpad, go in direction the wind is blowing and check if the distance to the target (in the top left corner) is decreasing every 5 seconds. And once I'm close enough I see a waypoint on my hud.

They should take it one step further. No markers at all on your map for exploration stuff (birds and foxes are already there to guide you) + no distance left counter + no waypoint icon visible once you get close enough to your destination.

Also the wind effect could be nicer and more subtle... but it's definitely a step in the right direction!
Just curious: how do you define revolutionary or groundbreaking?

I'm in Act III and kinda bored. Combat is way too easy. Archery, stealth, plain combat, everything is so OP. What's the point of stealth if you can just waltz right in and slaughter everyone?

I love some aspects of the game. But it is no GOTY.

Iorv3th

On the 3rd section and it's starting to become a chore. I already have everything maxed out, all skills unlocked. Combat is starting to get repetitive and so is clearing the map.

PanzerAzel

giphy.gif

I feel like I gave you one example already. You can have another one: portals mechanic in Portal.
Not sure what was your first example. If it was Halo dual stick, I took that as an attempt at mockery, not a serious example. Aside, to differentiate consoles from PC says nothing, there can be equal innovations in each context so I don't even know why you pulled systems wars nonsense into the picture. I suppose what I'm wondering is, what is the differentiating factor for you between it being a "nice feature" and "revolutionary"? You mention Portal, which makes me believe that you wouldn't consider it revolutionary unless the entire game's predicated on this one mechanic that the entire game revolves itself around.

To its definition:

-of, pertaining to, characterized by, or of the nature of a revolution, or a sudden, complete, or marked change:a revolutionary junta.

-radically new or innovative; outside or beyond established procedure, principles, etc.:

I differ in that I don't view revolution in the macro, there can be micro revolutions just as well, and to no less merit. In fact, most games in an established genre are culminations of smaller breakthroughs and gradual evolutions, and sometimes revolutions. The wind mechanic, IMO, is one of the latter. I've never seen navigation accomplished so organically in any game, PC or otherwise, and until you can name me one that does, I have trouble taking you seriously.

Last edited:
Top Bottom