• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima |OT| - Summer blade cuts through, the PlayStation shall go on, this is its swan song

Some story thoughts:

Jin's one sorry-ass excuse for a Samurai.

Team #Shimura, his uncle has a point. Jin's been raised with honor, the game makes it explicitly clear this code's been hammered into his skull at every conversation and in every waking moment from his youngest years, yet he so cavalierly tosses it aside when it first inconveniences him. Doesn't that kind of defeat the whole point of training and revolving your entire life around a set of principles? And what's worse, he suggest that he'll "go back" to living his code once this invasion is over. It's like this kid doesn't realize that this warrior caste of whom he is a part of willingly disembowels themselves over this shit on the regular. I like Jin, but I can't say he's a man of principle. I haven't finished this yet (probably tomorrow) so hopefully the ending will address this satisfactorily. I'm very glad the game's narrative takes such effort to make this a main point of contention or there'd be some serious ludo-narrative dissonance going on.

On a side note, I'm quite enjoying the writing of this. It's keeping me engaged and I genuinely care for the characters and am not seeing the review criticisms at all. It's nothing Oscar worthy, but it certainly is better than TLoU II in which I not only didn't care for any of the characters, I actively wanted them to die I disliked them so much.

Jin has been raised with honor but I think the context of the game is that he's never had to fight such an overwhelmingly large occupation force.

Shimura makes a point midway in the game, that the Samurai brought order to the island - so aside from the rebellion (in which Jin was still a child at best) his only experience of combat at that intensity in conversations are fairly minimal.
With Ryuzo he's been sucessful in tourney's.
With Sashimono guy (i haven't unlocked all convos) he talks about the bandits he's cut down.
Outside of that he's never had to face off an occupation force so he's still nascent compared to the fights his peers faced and p much all of them died. He is willing to go to the extremes of what he feels is the lesser evil AKA 'the easy ghost route' which is reflected in the game, I thought the dichotomy worked perfectly. I was cavalier about stealthing my way through the game since it's easier but clearly it's against his code because it inconvenienced me as it did him to fight the uphill battle of facing them head on.

Hal.

So I had just made it to Act 2 on hard, and changed the UI to expert, turning off the enemy status/health bars too and then bumped it to lethal once released.

I really liked the game anyway but it's just so much more fun on lethal that I actually just said fuck it and started again to enjoy the early game as brutally as possible.

Hal.

Lethal is still too easy, I can take 2-3 hits with armor fully upgraded.

I want a realistic mode. Remove the health bar, remove all health buffs to armor, disable health charms, begin with the katana fully upgraded, and make all hits throughout the entire game one hit kills. Make the engagements extremely brief and uncompromising, that is lethal. I want this shit Bushido Blade'd.

nowhat

So I'm trying to platinum the game (not that I'd be a trophy hunter, I only have a handful of platinums and mostly by accident, just because I'm enjoying the game) - I've completed all the story missions, and side missions for major characters (which were for the most part great, especially Lady Masako's story), no question marks left on the map. And no stories "open" currently. Yet I'm missing the "Complete all Tales of Tsushima" trophy.

I'm guessing I need to talk to some NPCs somewhere, but frankly I'm at loss here. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Keihart

Question for people that already completed the game or have every costume....is there a flowing red scarf costume? I like the cape from the travelers outfit and looking like Yoshimitsu with the oni hat and the samurai clan mask, but i really want a flowing scarf...i've seen a black scarf with the Ghost armor from the trailers tho, at least there is that.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So I'm trying to platinum the game (not that I'd be a trophy hunter, I only have a handful of platinums and mostly by accident, just because I'm enjoying the game) - I've completed all the story missions, and side missions for major characters (which were for the most part great, especially Lady Masako's story), no question marks left on the map. And no stories "open" currently. Yet I'm missing the "Complete all Tales of Tsushima" trophy.

I'm guessing I need to talk to some NPCs somewhere, but frankly I'm at loss here. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Possibly by the black dye merchant?

I know here was a random NPC encounter there in the bundled bamboo forest part. I would think it could be missed.

cormack12

Gold Member
Just only into the second Act really, just had the duel in the marshes - damn at the lighting. It's such a beautiful game. Fought that mini boss with the flaming sword - what a twat. Question, I only have two colours for my outfit. One is sand and one is green, they both suck. Can I get one that's black and where from? Trapper, merchant, armourer etc?

I've also got the queestlin for the blue mythical armour - will I need mats to upgrade or it is non-upgradeble?

Act III question

Do i get to choose another horse?

Just only into the second Act really, just had the duel in the marshes - damn at the lighting. It's such a beautiful game. Fought that mini boss with the flaming sword - what a twat. Question, I only have two colours for my outfit. One is sand and one is green, they both suck. Can I get one that's black and where from? Trapper, merchant, armourer etc?

I've also got the queestlin for the blue mythical armour - will I need mats to upgrade or it is non-upgradeble?
There's a black dye merchant in the second map. But honestly i'm never happy with how black dyes look.
All armors are upgradable.

Last edited:
I dont do not get charm system

Can you guys tell me wjat you choose if your more of samurai then ghost? I gind it very difficult vs brutes stuck on the kushi tenple invasion

Last edited:

Can you guys tell me wjat you choose if your more of samurai then ghost? I gind it very difficult vs brutes stuck on the kushi tenple invasion
If you're struggling with combat then equip charms that'll make your attacks stronger, have more defense, heal more, gain more resolve.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Act III question

Do i get to choose another horse?
Yes but not the same color as before, and your heart will never be the same again either.

Question for people that already completed the game or have every costume....is there a flowing red scarf costume? I like the cape from the travelers outfit and looking like Yoshimitsu with the oni hat and the samurai clan mask, but i really want a flowing scarf...i've seen a black scarf with the Ghost armor from the trailers tho, at least there is that.
The Ghost armor from the title offers more of a cape than a scarf. Depending on the ending choice you can get a red version.
I am not sure if there is a coloration of the traveller’s outfit that colors the scarf red.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
GymWolf GymWolf : The sentence doesnt imply anything and is only talking about color. Dont draw attention to it and nobody will be tempted to click the spoiler text.

Keihart

I was thinking about it, and you know what would balance the ghost weapons? either, weapon slots or loadouts.

Just having to trade things in your skillset would feel meaningfull and avoid having everything at all times, well that and of course the ridiculous healing.

For example, having only 2 slots for quick fire and 1 for secondary and not being able to switch equipment while on battle. Maybe make it even better, you could make costumes hold different weapons.....I really don't get the appeal of having everything in your pocket at all times, feels like i'm being robbed of any meaningful decision on my playstyle.
Hell, even some abilities could be gatekeeped behind some of the costumes. All of this balancing it's like mostly on and offs and numbers, it could easily be done probably.

I kinda like enemies being blind when you are on rooftops, but they could of also made that only available at night and maybe give you some skill to pass time like meditating or sleep with your horse or something.

devilNprada

During the big battles I used all defense armor and charms...Just to stay alive best i can and run around A LOT.. I think it's the samarai clan armor..
I change my charms out in battle as i run out of weapons.. It really helps to be able to change stances quickly..

Arkam

Looks like my next mission is the one to raid Kaneda Castle.... time to see if we can free Lord Shimura!

Side question... anyone else see slow loading of items (like at a shop or in inventory)? Like real slow. Seems odd when the fast travel is so quick.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
“The people need you...Yuna needs you.”

pGdJobQ.jpg

BP0uNGH.gif

nowhat

Side question... anyone else see slow loading of items (like at a shop or in inventory)? Like real slow. Seems odd when the fast travel is so quick.
It seems to be a "feature" of the game. I have an SSD in my Pro, and fast travel is so quick I don't even consider whether I should do it or just travel regularly. And yet the skins/shop items can take quite a while to load.

Bryank75

Banned

There are two quests that are hidden, one is called the cost of fear and the other is a debt repaid, just google them.... if you need any other help with platinum let me know...

Chromata

I'm going to start Ghost of Tsushima soon, I'm just wondering if it's best to play the game on the new Lethal difficulty?

Just because a common complaint I heard is that the game is too easy.

I'm going to start Ghost of Tsushima soon, I'm just wondering if it's best to play the game on the new Lethal difficulty?

Its not too easy, its just that there are almost no consequences to death. Play on hard and you will still die all the time.

Bryank75

Banned

Just start on lethal and adjust down if needed, it can be changed at any time... you might have to restart a quest in progress but that is it.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
I'm going to write this, eh... cryptically so I don't spoil anything.

Early into act 2, I was told a tale by the poet about something hidden that was split in pieces. On the way to the closest one, I found a circular structure by the shore, in the marshes of Tsushima.

I found the most intriguing enemy therein and my ass was well kicked, several times.

And so I walked away.

Im about to leave Act II, can someone spoil this for me I just want to make sure I didn't miss anything cool lol.

Is it the:
Straw Hat Ronin duels?

nowhat

There are two quests that are hidden, one is called the cost of fear and the other is a debt repaid, just google them.... if you need any other help with platinum let me know...
Thank you good sir! It was The Cost of Fear that I was missing. Now on to clear the rest of the trophies.

(I don't think this game needs NG+, because you'd be so much OP it wouldn't be fun - but this game so much needs an expansion along the lines of Blood & Wine/Frozen Wilds. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.)

PanzerAzel

I wouldn't recommend starting on lethal as you're more than likely going to frustrate yourself while still learning the ropes. I started on hard then turned down to regular until I got the timing and mechanics down, then went back up to hard. I'd leave lethal until you've gotten a handle on things.

cormack12

Gold Member
I wouldn't recommend starting on lethal as you're more than likely going to frustrate yourself while still learning the ropes. I started on hard then turned down to regular until I got the timing and mechanics down, then went back up to hard. I'd leave lethal until you've gotten a handle on things.

Yeah theres a lot to get used to in terms of stances, tools, and modes. Youll end up fumbling the controls and just piss yourself off. Hard is a good challenge until midway through the game

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Ok dope thanks! I figured that's what it was just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on anything else!

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

If you want to go ham, you need bonus to stagger damage.

I see you're on act 2, right? One of the legendary quests gives you armor with bonus to stagger break, pair it with a stagger charm (you get that one from a sidequest, also act 2 I think) and you can break their guards in one or two hits if you're in the correct stance. Next, put 1 point into the skill that lets you use the wind to guide you to undiscovered inari shrines and go doing them, you get some very powerful charms doing that and one in particular is great for ham-to-ham combat. Next, use a melee damage charm and the last slot is whatever, I'd personally take the other inari shrine charm for the resolve bonus.

As for the big charms, I like the one that gives you extra damage when you're below half health, just let them hit you couple times and use your resolve to spam the unstoppable move.

Hit, hit, break guard, hit them with with the unstoppable move from an act 1 legendary quest since it does bonus damage to staggered enemies.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
One thing that would vastly improve the flow of combat is having a 'picker' NOT a 'lock on'. I kind of like the lack of a lock on. It takes a bit of getting used to but works well. So instead of pressing R2 and choosing a stance, meaning you have to also remember which stance is best against which enemy, you simply aim your protagonist towards your adversary and hit R2. That then 'picks' the stance you need to best fight him/her. I'm sure you'll agree, that's a much better solution.

Esca

Question: I just got the long bow and I'm wondering if it's worth investing into it? I have the half bow almost maxed

nowhat

Question: I just got the long bow and I'm wondering if it's worth investing into it? I have the half bow almost maxed
The long bow is seriously OP when maxed out - you can pretty much forget about adjusting for range, if you get a headshot it's fair game of course, but you can get a body shot too and pretty much every enemy will be downed. But if you decide to go the long bow route, be sure to invest in ammo capacity too (so take those predator hides to a trapper).

Last edited:

Esca

The long bow is seriously OP when maxed out - you can pretty much forget about adjusting for range, if you get a headshot it's fair game of course, but you can get a body shot too and pretty much every enemy will be downed. But if you decide to go the long bow route, be sure to invest in ammo capacity too (so take those predator hides to a trapper).
Thanks for the tips :)

Top Bottom