• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima |OT| - Summer blade cuts through, the PlayStation shall go on, this is its swan song

Exentryk

Best armour to get early game????
The traveller's is probably the best if you care about completion or seeing as much stuff as possible. It uncovers more of the map than other armors, and makes finding some items easier.

Ronin armor grants you more melee damage, but I don't feel that is necessary. On the contrary I want to have longer fights coz the combat is so fun haha. For defense, the Samurai Clan armor is good. You get it pretty early I think.

RainyNguyen

Neo Member
UNless you want to be sneaky, use the Ronin armor. I got it fairly early on.

Just finished Act 1...... Good Stuff! I could go for two more like that.
Yeah, Ronin Attire is very cool, and also Tadayori’s Armor
source.gif

source.gif

Some amazing landscape gifs:
source.gif

source.gif

source.gif

idrago01

Banned
It’s not early but you can get it at the beginning of act 2 but I’m having a lot of fun with the gosaku armor, you can just bully your way through crowds of swordsman with the increased stagger damage, be sure to couple it with the easier parry charm and the charm that knocks people to the ground when staggered or the one that lets ur attacks be uninterrupted after you break someone’s stagger

THEAP99

Banned
ghost of tsushima lethal mode i don't notice that big of difference. i liberated the two final parts of the map with lethal mode on

Ar¢tos

One thing that would vastly improve the flow of combat is having a 'picker' NOT a 'lock on'. I kind of like the lack of a lock on. It takes a bit of getting used to but works well. So instead of pressing R2 and choosing a stance, meaning you have to also remember which stance is best against which enemy, you simply aim your protagonist towards your adversary and hit R2. That then 'picks' the stance you need to best fight him/her. I'm sure you'll agree, that's a much better solution.
But then I wouldn't be able to Typhoon Kick non spear weilders, or use the spin attack of the moon stance in the middle of a group of enemies and that would take a lot of fun out of the game.
I think combat is just perfect. It took some time to get used to no lock on, but now I don't miss it at all and I'm able to switch stances and attack directions without even blinking.

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
But then I wouldn't be able to Typhoon Kick non spear weilders, or use the spin attack of the moon stance in the middle of a group of enemies and that would take a lot of fun out of the game.
I think combat is just perfect. It took some time to get used to no lock on, but now I don't miss it at all and I'm able to switch stances and attack directions without even blinking.

You would. You just wouldn't hit R2 to pick the required ability.

I agree, in fact not having a lock on felt more liberating for this game after a while when changing stances based on enemy types effectively give you a new weapon, but doesn't lock you in on to the perfect stance if you want to mix and match. Like the shield breaker flurry of-> hold triangle and then tap triangle x4 - is so perfect (not just effectively bu also to watch that unfold every frikken time). And the fact that it also works perfectly against non shielded Brutes (also exact fit for shielded Brutes too) and also swordsmen straw Hat Ronins is just *chef's kiss gif*

idrago01

Banned
Yeah I like to use the wind stance to auto parry the spear attack than quickly change to stone and than hit them with heavy attacks or pierce, or if u have meter can use the unblockable heavenly strike to finish them off quickly. I just think the wind stance combo is just way too slow and leaves u open to being interrupted mid attack when fighting groups of enemies

Last edited:
I'm a couple of hours in and it's a solid game that don't bring anything ground-breaking to the table (not that it have to). I love the open-world, the setting and exploration aspects. Can't say anything about the story as I focused on side quests and sightseeing.

I got a feeling I should save this one for PS5 as it runs like shit sometimes and IQ looks like someone covered my TV with vaseline.

This thread by Avalanche head game designer, explains how GOT is underrated and has really made great subtle changes to open-world games...

Click to read subsequent numbered tweets outlining details.

Most of things listed by him were done before. I know it and I'm not a game designer. He should play The Witcher 3 or Breath of The Wild.

Also "Black Lives Matter" in his user name... 👀

idrago01

Banned
I'm a couple of hours in and it's a solid game that don't bring anything ground-breaking to the table (not that it have to). I love the open-world, the setting and exploration aspects. Can't say anything about the story as I focused on side quests and sightseeing.

I got a feeling I should save this one for PS5 as it runs like shit sometimes and IQ looks like someone covered my TV with vaseline.

Most of things listed by him were done before. I know it and I'm not a game designer. He should play The Witcher 3 or Breath of The Wild.

Looking at his soyface avatar he would be a perfect mark for “forced reparations” from those peaceful protesters

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned

Well guiding wind wasn't in any game before... many of the improvements are just in the way they are implemented.

There hasn't been an open world that is as vibrant and colorful as this and the dynamic motion of the grass and trees makes other open-worlds looks static and lifeless in comparison which is massive in an open-world game.

Also many games depend on mountains that cannot be climbed to lock you into the playable area.... not so here.

It just has a far more elegant way of structuring the open-world, where other games are dependent on hud, text and prompts that intrude and take you out of the experience.

The short load times and fast-travel is also key to this.

Many open-world games fall short on combat..RDR2, AC, Witcher 3. GOT puts all of those to shame in terms of gameplay and combat.

Last edited:

Compsiox

Banned
The gameplay has always been fun and exciting but I regularly touch the touchpad during combat and it makes me want to put a bullet through my head. I'll be fighting and I'll end up bowing or some shit. Really sucks. I think my hands are too big.

Bryank75

Banned
The gameplay has always been fun and exciting but I regularly touch the touchpad during combat and it makes me want to put a bullet through my head. I'll be fighting and I'll end up bowing or some shit. Really sucks. I think my hands are too big.
I didn't even know about bowing till half way through the game....
I like the touchpad implementation though, particularly for sheathing the sword, it feels very bad-ass!

Sorc3r3r

Hooked by the combat system.
It's tight, i love it.
But.
Just upgrading the skill tree it is noticeable that the whole thing will become trivial, way to easy and therefore losing the adrenaline rush it gives at every encounter.
I'm worried...
I mean, genaral speaking, this skill upgrading found in every fucking game too often destroys a well thought core mechanic.
I hope that this won't be the case though.

Compsiox

Banned
It's tight, i love it.
But.
Just upgrading the skill tree it is noticeable that the whole thing will become trivial, way to easy and therefore losing the adrenaline rush it gives at every encounter.
I'm worried...
I mean, genaral speaking, this skill upgrading found in every fucking game too often destroys a well thought core mechanic.
I've been worried too. I've been spreading out my upgrades as much as I can and I straight up skipped out on getting a bow (purposely).

This can make the game pretty difficult when taking over outposts though.

From what I've read, you can definitely become OP.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
It's tight, i love it.
But.
I'm worried...
It gives you choices on how to play but you can still play with just sword combat, parry, block and attack with a few new combos if you want more challenge.... they will throw more and stronger enemies at you later though!

Well guiding wind wasn't in any game before... many of the improvements are just in the way they are implemented.

There hasn't been an open world that is as vibrant and colorful as this and the dynamic motion of the grass and trees makes other open-worlds looks static and lifeless in comparison which is massive in an open-world game.

Also many games depend on mountains that cannot be climbed to lock you into the playable area.... not so here.

It just has a far more elegant way of structuring the open-world, where other games are dependent on hud, text and prompts that intrude and take you out of the experience.

The short load times and fast-travel is also key to this.

Many open-world games fall short on combat..RDR2, AC, Witcher 3. GOT puts all of those to shame in terms of gameplay and combat.
I don't know, maybe my perspective coming from PC is different. I modded The Witcher 3 to oblivion and it looks absolutely amazing with beautiful thick grass that moves in the wind, 4k textures and amazing coloring thanks to various lighting mods / re-shades. Fast traveling also takes seconds on NVME drive (5 seconds to go from far side of the map to Novigrad).

I don't want to to shit on GoT, I like the game. It's just nothing groundbreaking. Combat as well. I already had to press and hold triangle and then hit square to look at the same camera cuts like 15 times. I just want to experience the world and eventually the story. I must say it's hard to follow what's going on if you play with Japanese voices and have to read subtitles all the time.

Bryank75

Banned
I don't know, maybe my perspective coming from PC is different. I modded The Witcher 3 to oblivion and it looks absolutely amazing with beautiful thick grass that moves in the wind, 4k textures and amazing coloring thanks to various lighting mods / re-shades. Fast traveling also takes seconds on NVME drive (5 seconds to go from far side of the map to Novigrad).

I don't want to to shit on GoT, I like the game. It's just nothing groundbreaking. Combat as well. I already had to press and hold triangle and then hit square to look at the same camera cuts like 15 times. I just want to experience the world and eventually the story. I must say it's hard to follow what's going on if you play with Japanese voices and have to read subtitles all the time.
Meh, Witcher combat was lame and had no feeling. The horse was terrible and the world was static.... what makes that game interesting is the sidequests and characters and the different enemies for me.

It had a nice looking world at the time but the colors were not very diverse and it depended on the typical fantasy world design tropes that we have seen a million times. The Japanese style was a welcome departure from stuff we have seen....

Bryank75

Banned
After finishing it, how the fuck is this not a 90+ game on meta. Reminds me of the weird the reviews of Days Gone got too, cause this game is pretty impressive.
That's what I am wondering too...it makes no sense.

I posted a video above that highlights how terribly written and conceived some of the reviews are.... Many pointing to 'cultural appropriation' and other nonsensical stuff.

idrago01

Banned

He’s probably only using console games as reference and Witcher 3 on ps4 doesn’t look nearly as good as GOT imo and loading times are terrible, look at that dude’s face I’m sure he has no idea you can mod games on pc or use a sweetfx preset or repack textures

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
He’s probably only using console games as reference and Witcher 3 on ps4 doesn’t look nearly as good as GOT imo, look at that dude’s face I’m sure he has no idea you can mod games on pc or use a sweetfx preset or repack textures
I'm comparing the base games as they were made by the developer..... like stock cars.

Why would I be comparing games that have any number of mods?

It's like you wanted to compare 2 fast runners but gave your runner performance enhancing drugs...

Last edited:

Keihart

One thing that would vastly improve the flow of combat is having a 'picker' NOT a 'lock on'. I kind of like the lack of a lock on. It takes a bit of getting used to but works well. So instead of pressing R2 and choosing a stance, meaning you have to also remember which stance is best against which enemy, you simply aim your protagonist towards your adversary and hit R2. That then 'picks' the stance you need to best fight him/her. I'm sure you'll agree, that's a much better solution.
sounds awful.
Next step would be having an universal auto counter and a big glowing aura in every enemy attacking, also now they take turns.

Compsiox

Banned
After finishing it, how the fuck is this not a 90+ game on meta. Reminds me of the weird reviews Days Gone got, cause this game is pretty impressive.
The actual main story missions aren't very good if you ask me. Everything else is pretty great though.

Last edited:

idrago01

Banned
I'm comparing the base games as they were made by the developer..... like stock cars.

It's like you wanted to compare 2 fast runners but gave your runner performance enhancing drugs...
Lol I was talking about will maiden’s soyface, I agree with you using the vanilla Witcher 3 on ps4 GOT is much better looking with faster loading times, even the faces and their expression animations on Witcher 3 regardless of mods are starting to show their age compared to games coming out now

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Lol I was talking about will maiden’s soyface, I agree with you using the vanilla Witcher 3 on ps4 GOT is much better looking with faster loading times, even the faces and their animations on Witcher 3 modded or unmodded are starting to show their age compared to games coming out now
I enjoyed Witcher 3 very much but I think it got the scores it deserved at the time...and I don't want people shitting on either.

But I honestly don't think the 'professional' reviews for GOT are representative, it should have been 88-90 territory. Didn't have to hit 90 necessarily but that region would be fairer to what the game achieved.

(sorry for my response before... I'm not a big fan of the soy side either)

Last edited:

I'm doing it because it's part of my gaming experience. It's hard for me to get excited about GoT visuals and like you called it "dynamic motion" of the world when I already played a vastly superior looking game, in 4k and in 60FPS. I'm not going into this game to be blown away by visuals.

The only new feature that I experienced so far is the minimalistic HUD combined with the wind mechanic. I must say it's really nice but I don't understand how anyone can claim that this game is revolutionary.

Bryank75

Banned
I'm doing it because it's part of my gaming experience. It's hard for me to get excited about GoT visuals and like you called it "dynamic motion" of the world when I already played a vastly superior looking game, in 4k and in 60FPS. I'm not going into this game to be blown away by visuals.

The only new feature that I experienced so far is the minimalistic HUD combined with the wind mechanic. I must say it's really nice but I don't understand how anyone can claim that this game is revolutionary.
It might not be to everyone...

I can only speak for myself and the great gameplay along with the other elements we have discussed make it one of my favorite experiences over the past few years. The setting is a large part of it too...

It might not be to everyone...

I can only speak for myself and the great gameplay along with the other elements we have discussed make it one of my favorite experiences over the past few years. The setting is a large part of it too...
Yes, I know but I was going after the so called game-designer with soy avatar that seems to be clueless about what's already out there.

I need to play GoT more but so far the setting and game presentation = 10/10.

Side note: I had a trip to Japan planned this year but global pandemic ruined my plans. So it's double nice to be able to experience this game.

Compsiox

Banned
Yes, I know but I was going after the so called game-designer with soy avatar that seems to be clueless about what's already out there.

Side note: I had a trip to Japan planned this year but global pandemic ruined my plans. So it's double nice to be able to experience this game.
Finding shrines in real life is a blast. Simply walking around Tokyo you'll come across some shrines and temples. It's amazing. I loved every moment and always long to go back. Best trip of my life.

Bryank75

Banned

I would love to go, it's a shame about the situation right now... I'd love to hear more from you once you spend a bit more time with it. It's not a perfect game for me either, the camera needs some work, there are some glitches (some hilarious ones) and a few other things but as I say, I had a great time overall.

Hopefully you can reorganize your trip for after this thing calms down!?

Last edited:
Jesus 4K 60FPS is a meme at this point, graphics are always more than resolution and frame rate, the content of pixels are what matters most and for this gen only GoT and TLOU 2 are masterclass in that regard, so much so that they looked better than all of Xbox next gen offerings and some of the PS5 next gen offerings...

Saying 4K 60 is vastly superior looking over what this game offers is like having Nosferatu film from 1922 restored in 4K versus Interstellar streaming in just 1080... old tech shit in high res is not gonna measure well against current everything at lower res... like storytelling, editing, set pieces, etc. of Nosferatu is so lacking in those departments that it doesn't matter if you watch that in 8K you are gonna get bored if you are not a cinephile, Interstellar on the other hand has masterclass story telling, editing, set pieces, CGI, acting, sound, mise-en-scène, etc. that it doesn't matter if you watch it at 1080, it is gonna be worlds better experience.

Fuck this 4K and/or 60fps obsession! Content and quality of pixels are what matters not quantity.

I would love to go, it's a shame about the situation right now... I'd love to hear more from you once you spend a bit more time with it. It's not a perfect game for me either, the camera needs some work, there are some glitches (some hilarious ones) and a few other things but as I say, I had a great time overall.

Hopefully you can reorganize your trip for after this thing calms down!?
I'm okay with glitches and bugs, I'm developing business apps myself so I know that bugs are just a part of life. :messenger_winking: I only touched 1-2 main story missions and I'm somehow worried about their quality. I've seen other people mentioning this as well... I definitely need to play more so I will shut up for now!

I hope so but I doubt it will be this year. I'm thinking about going to Iceland instead as things are quiter there. Japan will have to wait.

idrago01

Banned
I personally think 1440p is the sweet spot, differences between this and 4k are minimal. However the jump in image quality from 1080p to 1440p is much more significant. I’ll take 1440p with much higher frames over 4k with locked 60fps any day

Jesus 4K 60FPS is a meme at this point, graphics are always more than resolution and frame rate, the content of pixels are what matters most and for this gen only GoT and TLOU 2 are masterclass in that regard, so much so that they looked better than all of Xbox next gen offerings and some of the PS5 next gen offerings...

Saying 4K 60 is vastly superior looking over what this game offers is like having Nosferatu film from 1922 restored in 4K versus Interstellar streaming in just 1080... old tech shit in high res is not gonna measure well against current everything at lower res... like storytelling, editing, set pieces, etc. of Nosferatu is so lacking in those departments that it doesn't matter if you watch that in 8K you are gonna get bored if you are not a cinephile, Interstellar on the other hand has masterclass story telling, editing, set pieces, CGI, acting, sound, mise-en-scène, etc. that it doesn't matter if you watch it at 1080, it is gonna be worlds better experience.

Fuck this 4K and/or 60fps obsession! Content and quality of pixels are what matters not quantity.
Okay, okay. No need to get too excited. I leave you with few The Witcher 3 screenshots:

bEwXgeT.jpg

KOjAhwr.jpg

tismVT8.jpg

bRElh7z.jpg

Ojw7Yft.jpg

G3SxVdc.jpg

uRMGytl.jpg

9euo3i3.jpg

Keihart

While i agree that big part of GoT visuals it's not because res or fps and whatnot and more about how cohesive the style is and how the tech that is in the game was all tailored for it like for example the wind, the wind it's mechanical and part of the visuals at the same time, so particles and cloth and weather all intertwine achieving a very specific visual style. But i don't agree with your example, because Nosferatu looks way better than interstellar from a aesthetics POV, but that makes sense, Nolan doesn't put much emphasis in fancy camera work and framing, he deliberately tries to keep it simple. While easier to follow i not as entertaining to watch as Nosferatu.

idrago01

Banned
I enjoyed Witcher 3 very much but I think it got the scores it deserved at the time...and I don't want people shitting on either.

But I honestly don't think the 'professional' reviews for GOT are representative, it should have been 88-90 territory. Didn't have to hit 90 necessarily but that region would be fairer to what the game achieved.

(sorry for my response before... I'm not a big fan of the soy side either)
Nah I think Witcher 3 is the most important game this generation, just like dark souls before it, everyone copies it’s formula. I can sympathize with the other poster who is not completely overwhelmed with GOT’s graphics though, I also modded Witcher and even AC odyssey with reshade looks better to be honest. I think the story and pacing, combat, and environmental art design with interesting particle effects and physics system is what really sets it apart.

Last edited:

Keihart

Okay, okay. No need to get too excited. I leave you with few The Witcher 3 screenshots:

bEwXgeT.jpg

KOjAhwr.jpg

tismVT8.jpg

bRElh7z.jpg

Ojw7Yft.jpg

G3SxVdc.jpg

uRMGytl.jpg

9euo3i3.jpg
This is the modded version of the game you are comparing it too? i only see high res and increased density while assets still look super flat and static. I bet that grass doesn't bend and you can't make leafs fly while running over them nor do i see volumetric fog reacting to light and a bunch of critters based on particles...
I mean, if i had to compare those screenshots to what i've played of GoT, i would still find GoT more impressive even if those screenshot look sharper. Also, mind you i playerd witcher 3 combat on death march, and it sucks ass compared to GoT even if more challenging. The bases of the combat in W3 are pretty flawed.

No, what i do think W3 has over GoT it's the writing of side quests and characters, W3 has the same charm than something like Yakuza games in their sidequests, SP tries to achieve it in GoT but you can tell that they ended up short of time to implement them correctly in the scope they wanted, because there are a couple of quests very reminiscent of the ones in W3 but it's not the norm.

This is the modded version of the game you are comparing it too? i only see high res and increased density while assets still look super flat and static. I bet that grass doesn't bend and you can't make leafs fly while running over them nor do i see volumetric fog reacting to light and a bunch of critters based on particles...
I mean, if i had to compare those screenshots to what i've played of GoT, i would still find GoT more impressive even if those screenshot look sharper. Also, mind you i playerd witcher 3 combat on death march, and it sucks ass compared to GoT even if more challenging. The bases of the combat in W3 are pretty flawed.

No, what i do think W3 has over GoT it's the writing of side quests and characters, W3 has the same charm than something like Yakuza games in their sidequests, SP tries to achieve it in GoT but you can tell that they ended up short of time to implement them correctly in the scope they wanted, because there are a couple of quests very reminiscent of the ones in W3 but it's not the norm.
I don't know man, looks pretty dynamic to me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom