• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima - Review Thread

The opposite of Days Gone is TLOU2.

TLOU2 is an okay game with amazing reviews. Days Gone is an amazing game with okay reviews.

Yeah I went there.

Thats how I am with Red Dead 2...My friends won't even talk to me about the game cause I felt like it was...'Just cool'...and not this groundbreaking earth shattering thing lol

The best thing about review threads is that it will always be a shit show regardless of the final score.

Especially for exclusives. The warriors come out full force:
not fans. Sony fanatics. That demented tribalism, second only to islamic fanatics. Which a big portion os sony fans are made of. I hope i'll be well served

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The opposite of Days Gone is TLOU2.

TLOU2 is an okay game with amazing reviews. Days Gone is an amazing game with okay reviews.

Yeah I went there.

I really need to get on that Days Gone joint. I like the overall aesthetic/theme and it looks stunning, just have a backlog a mile long. I'll jump on it along with HZD (which I bought the CE but sits in the backlog) come PS5.

WellSheet

If it's higher class in production value, days gone is not better at everything, thus proving my point.

Maybe we’re arguing semantics? And it’s subjective - please note that. You’re entitled to your opinion.. but, It’s better for me, and I think a lot of people, as a game experience. to play; to engage with from a story perspective - it’s better. It feels better to play; it’s more engaging to me as a story.

I’d rather play days gone, experience that game; from a total perspective and story perspective than TLOU 2.

objectively, The Last of Us 2 is a higher quality game.

subjectively, I find Days Gone superior in almost every way as a game.

GymWolf

No question that it's very good looking. Resolution, framerate or other technical data have their place in a review too. It's about being factual vs only hyperbolic (skillup review).
well we have to wait for df or nxgamer for the technical details.

i still don't know what are the difference between performance mode and resolution mode, no review talk about this in details.

PresetError

Neophyte
I don't know why people invest so much on scores and ratings. I think it's fun to predict and speculate but it will never be that important for me.

Having said that, I predicted a score between 82 and 85 only because of the type of game Ghost of Tsushima is. Some game journos are very predictable. If it's more AAA than indie, more action than adventure, more gameplay than narrative and more fun than emotional it's not cool to praise it.

It baffles me when they deduct points because a game doesn't reinvent the wheel or innovate, though. It's like saying Seven or Shawshank Redempton are mediocre films because they don't innovate inside their old ass genre. Some of my favorite games are titles that improved or perfected well stablished formulas.

In fact, the games I tend to enjoy the most are those mid to low 80's action-adventure games. So... very low risk purchase for me.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Looking forward to this game. Hope it turns out well. Will be waiting for a sale so I can work through my backlog. I've wanted a good Samurai game for a long time. The initial trailers with the cinematic Samurai fights harkening back to old films sold me.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Maybe we’re arguing semantics? And it’s subjective - please note that. You’re entitled to your opinion.. but, It’s better for me, and I think a lot of people, as a game experience. to play; to engage with from a story perspective - it’s better. It feels better to play; it’s more engaging to me as a story.

I’d rather play days gone, experience that game; from a total perspective and story perspective than TLOU 2.

I agree. I'm on my 4th playthrough of Days Gone but can't bring myself to continue playing my 2nd playthrough of TLOU2. I lost hours playing Days Gone while I'm turning TLOU2 off after an hour, sometimes less. It's just not fun or engaging in any way. I even found Days Gone characters far more interesting even though the writing is often sub par.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Not to derail the thread, but just wanted to say... besides it’s production values/animations....Days Gone, being the most apt comparison for TLOU2, is superior in every way......it just seemingly LACKED the proper agenda pushed.
It's an interesting comparison. I love both games

Enemies: Days Gone
Animations: TLOU 2
Level design: TLOU 2
Melee: TLOU 2
Shooting: Tie once upgraded IMO
Game modes: Days Gone
Replayability: Days Gone
Graphics: TLOU 2 but Days Gone is beautiful too
Story: TLOU 2

Last edited:

Dodkrake

Banned

We're arguing semantics because yours were wrong. Maybe I was being pedantic. Now we agree.

bender

What time is it?
I really lived Infamous 1 and 2. Felt like they dropped with 3.

This game looks great to me and I cant wait.

I didn't care for the original. I really hated Cole's design and the the world was just drab and empty. I'm excited about GOT because of the setting, but it really looks like it borrows heavily from AC but with a team a fraction the size, so I'm really curious how well used the open world will be.

Kerotan

It's pretty much guaranteed to finish about 80 now so a solid game. 85 after 94 reviews on OC looks good. I'll get it when I'm finish batman, days gone and ass creed origins. So probably September.

GymWolf

It's an interesting comparison. I love both games

Enemies: Days Gone
Animations: TLOU 2
Level design: TLOU 2
Melee: TLOU 2
Shooting: Tie once upgraded IMO
Game modes: Days Gone
Replayability: Days Gone
Story: TLOU 2
shooting is 100x better in tlou2 cmon...the gore, how meaty it is, the animations, the details, the superior ragdoll, i love days gone but in terms of gameplay both melee and shooting is literally bootleg tlou, stealth is more varied tho even if the ia is pretty bad.
deacon is a little more light and gamey to control and some people prefer that, i give you that.
both games don't have perfect aim or cover systems like a gears game tbh, but they are good enough.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
shooting is 100x better in tlou2 cmon...the gore, how meaty it is, the animations, the details, the superior ragdoll, i love days gone but in terms of gameplay both melee and shooting is literally bootleg tlou, stealth is more varied tho even if the ia is pretty bad.
both games don't have perfect aim or cover systems like a gears game tbh, but they are good enough.
I gave Days Gone the benefit of the doubt for the Chicago Chopper 😁 I love that weapon lol

bender

What time is it?
Ghost of Tsushima being yet another new and successful influenced me to make this while being in the car for a few hours on a road trip:

Is there a better publisher than Sony by the metrics for this generation?

Until Dawn deserves better. It's one of my favorite exclusives this generation. And then they made Man of Medan. And to that, Supermassive Games, I say:

Bragr

Banned
Seems the biggest complains revolves around open-world tropes. Which honestly, ain't a problem for most people, some critics have dragged down the score massively because of it, while the average seem to be about 90 if you remove these few very low scores. I'm impressed, and I'm gonna buy it.

THEAP99

Banned
Days Gone is a pile of garbage. Don’t compare that trailer trash to world class game that is TLOU2. Any developer with a credit on TLOU2 will be able to find a job elsewhere quite easily. They’re at the top of industry whether you like it or not. Can’t say the same for Days Gone which is a sale game at best:

Bragr

Banned
deacon is a little more light and gamey to control and some people prefer that, i give you that.
The AI really hurt Days Gone, it works very well with the hordes but the humans are a mess. You think Gears have a perfect cover system though? I hoped they would adjust it a bit in Gears 5.

FranXico

I really need to get on that Days Gone joint. I like the overall aesthetic/theme and it looks stunning, just have a backlog a mile long. I'll jump on it along with HZD (which I bought the CE but sits in the backlog) come PS5.
I've been intrigued about DG too, but that game has been so patched, even with a disc I would just download the whole thing.

bender

What time is it?
Days Gone is a pile of garbage. Don’t compare that trailer trash to world class game that is TLOU2. Any developer with a credit on TLOU2 will be able to find a job elsewhere quite easily. They’re at the top of industry whether you like it or not. Can’t say the same for Days Gone which is a sale game at best:

That clip needs Guile's theme.

bender

What time is it?
I think I'm close to the end of Days Gone. It's okay but mostly forgettable but I'm in the camp that completely hates the character designs. They really should have leaned into the horde mechanics more heavily as its the most interesting thing the game offers, but those don't show up until much later in the game.

Bragr

Banned
Say what you will about Days Gone, with it's technical problems and all, it's likely one of the better looking games of the generation.

days-gone-image-6.jpg

Peroroncino

This clip is biased as fuck, knife is not a melee weapon one should rely on in that game, especially against zombie brutes in DG.

Now do it all over again, this time cry some more, like you did here because of some stupid exclusivity deal. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
They’re also doing something with google stadia now I saw today lmao
Are you talking about the presentation they didn't market and people had no idea it took place before it was done lol. What in the world are they doing over at google, it blows my mind how they are crashing that product into the ground in the worst possible way like this.

nyr88nyg

Banned
SkillUp loved this, his review is weighted more heavily than the clearly biased reviewers out there that want TLOU2 to be GOTY. Can’t wait to play it.

GymWolf

Says AC Valhalla should be afraid of this game.....

but she can't romance boys and girls in tsushima, she clearly like valhalla more.
I gave Days Gone the benefit of the doubt for the Chicago Chopper 😁 I love that weapon lol
enemy reaction, gore, animations, ragdoll etc. are not nearly in the same planet as tlou2.
the most satysfing weapon in term of impact in days gone is the huge 50 cal sniper rifle, the shotguns are pretty good overall but the machine guns in general have too jerky hit reactions for my tastes.

chicago chopper was a good weapon for hordes tho:messenger_fistbump:

Top Bottom