• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima - Review Thread

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
You walked everywhere in The Witcher (Witcher 3 I presume)? Surely that would have taken you years to complete then!?
If the environment is beautiful and varied enough, I will definitely walk... 😉

It's one of the major reasons it takes me much longer to finish open world games. I walked the entire map of ACO as well. lol

Hyphen

It's one of the major reasons it takes me much longer to finish open world games. I walked the entire map of ACO as well. lol

Fair enough. I like to do the same actually. I tried to walk in AC:Odyssey, but too many islands were too similar to each other that I couldn't do it any longer.
The trailers make the environments in Ghost of Tsushima look quite varied though , so that's promising for me.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Fair enough. I like to do the same actually. I tried to walk in AC:Odyssey, but too many islands were too similar to each other that I couldn't do it any longer.
The trailers make the environments in Ghost of Tsushima look quite varied though , so that's promising for me.

I haven't been this excited since TLOU2 ... (that didn't work out well for me) and the map set up, the navigation aids and the biomes have me drooling. All these little touches I'm being made aware of just make me smile. The birds, the butterflies, the wind, the flute that changes the whether to sunny, the Haiku's, the dyes ... I'm going to enjoy walking through this more than most other open world games I think.

84 metacritic score. Probably will drop another point or two. Sucker Punch thankfully still has it. Will pick it up down the road.

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
Man, I can't agree with that. Having an icon on the map and screen is nothing like having a subtle graphical indication of which direction to go. It merges perfectly with the aesthetic and makes it part of the art. It's wonderful.
So a regular icon on the screen telling you where to go is completely diferent from a *squints at note* "subtle graphical indication of which direction to go"?
That it's stylized doesn't change its mechanical function as a waypoint. It's a quest marker any way you slice it.

Pity that an objectively good game like this is going to be overshadowed by a piece of trash like TLOU2 simply because people think a game made by the woke stazi must always be #1.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
So a regular icon on the screen telling you where to go is completely diferent from a *squints at note* "subtle graphical indication of which direction to go"?
That it's stylized doesn't change its mechanical function as a waypoint. It's a quest marker any way you slice it.

Completely different, yes. If you can't see it I'd have to assume you don't want to see it so there's no point in explaining.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
That's umm.. kind of strange. Horseback riding can be immensely enjoyable in the right game. If you travel at a slow trot you won't miss anything and you'll still move at twice the speed. And trying to find the horse breed, stat, colour combination you want can be a mission all on its own. Then you can customize saddle and gear too.

G-Bus

Banned
Well dang, reviewed better than I thought it would. Combat looks a lot better than I was expecting.

Dumb AI is a bit of a bummer.

Unsure if I'll buy or rent.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
That's umm.. kind of strange. Horseback riding can be immensely enjoyable in the right game. If you travel at a slow trot you won't miss anything and you'll still move at twice the speed. And trying to find the horse breed, stat, colour combination you want can be a mission all on its own. Then you can customize saddle and gear too.

I did use the horse in my second playthrough. :)

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
And games that have 90+ Metacritic score wont guarantee you would enjoy the game, score alone wont tell you much about the game itself.

This is so true. I quit or completely skip more 90+ rated games than I do games in the 70's and 80's because they simply aren't for me or if I play and quit them as highly overrated for me.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Horseback riding can be immensely enjoyable in the right game.
Very true.
tumblr_p5lwowA2nE1x8ime6o1_500.gifv

Dory16

Banned
We get it, your tag is fitting. You don't need to shit up every Sony thread.
Shitting up because I disagree with a reviewer that takes 10 mns to tell me that Ghost of Tsushima is the absolute greatest technical achievement of the generation? Then add "Sony cultists only" to the thread title and all will be good. I probably own more Sony games than you but integrity means something to me that's all.

Dodkrake

Banned
Not to derail the thread, but just wanted to say... besides it’s production values/animations....Days Gone, being the most apt comparison for TLOU2, is superior in every way......it just seemingly LACKED the proper agenda pushed.
No, it's not. Graphics are worse, animations are worse, sound design is worse...

So even if you don't like TLOU2 story, no, Days Gone is not better in every way.

Romulus

Don't get me wrong it looks fine, but I just can't help but feel we've done this before dozens of times, but now in a samurai skin with extra foliage. Innovation just seems a thing of the past. Vikings, Samurai, ok, but with gameplay from the 360 era, and AI from the original Xbox/ps2 era.

Game looks fantastic and it seems that the reviews are a lot less polarizing than TLOU2. I think I will get this as soon as I have the time. Just wish it had a 60fps option.

Guilty_AI

Don't get me wrong it looks fine, but I just can't help but feel we've done this before dozens of times, but now in a samurai skin with extra foliage. Innovation just seems a thing of the past. Vikings, Samurai, ok, but with gameplay from the 360 era, and AI from the original Xbox/ps2 era.
tbf thats true for most AAA games nowadays. Visuals + safe mechanics usually sell more than innovation and gameplay depth.
Still looks a fine game though. At least it doesn't seem to overly pad itself with pointless content and keeps things interesting, unlike other open worlds out there.

Dory16

Banned
The guy sometimes is full of shit and i don't trust him, but basically every reviewer is saying the same thing, this game has one of the best graphics for this generation, i mean look at some of the screens we posted.

Sometimes a game is just good looking even without knowing resolution, framerate or other technical data.
No question that it's very good looking. Resolution, framerate or other technical data have their place in a review too. It's about being factual vs only hyperbolic (skillup review).

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Shitting up because I disagree with a reviewer that takes 10 mns to tell me that Ghost of Tsushima is the absolute greatest technical achievement of the generation? Then add "Sony cultists only" to the thread title and all will be good. I probably own more Sony games than you but integrity means something to me that's all.

:messenger_weary::messenger_ok:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Just thought I'd bring this one for all the reviewers that didn't and will not be playing the game.

strandmon-children-s-armchair__0729754_PE737122_S5.JPG

$40,000 ...

Last edited:
To be fair, I can't name a AAA game that has innovated in a while. You kinda have to look at these games in a vacuum. Is it the most innovative Samurai open-world game? It kinda is. Is this years Forza the most innovative of the Forza series? Yea, it likely will be. It's still a racing game, it's still a Forza game, but it will be doing it better than the other Forza games that came before it. Same for GT7, it'll likely be a better version of GT and that's fine. Halo Infinite, will fell like a Halo game. It'll have key differences over the last Halo game, it'll be the most innovative Halo game in the Halo franchise! God Of War, it is the most innovative GOW game in the franchise. Is it the most innovative 3rd person semi-open world action game? Nope.

If you want innovation, look at smaller titles games like indies, they take more risks. I'm hoping that next gen opens things up a little more for risks.

Bryank75

Banned
Based on Skillup and some of the footage and other reviews the combat is meant to feel great, on a much higher level than AC.... I am also looking forward to the fact that you have to use environmental cues to find and do things and some of the sidequests look really interesting.

I didn't expect them to reinvent the genre with a team of around a hundred people in just one game.

Areas where it looks like they could improve is that Jin looks very 2 dimensional and lacks charisma and the main story seems to be a weak-point but I think a sequel and one or two hires could change those things for the better!

As skillup says, the map is genuinely different and is not just space for the sake of it... no copy / paste.

Last edited:

WellSheet

No, it's not. Graphics are worse, animations are worse, sound design is worse...

So even if you don't like TLOU2 story, no, Days Gone is not better in every way.

I don’t agree. I’m sure the argument isn’t subjective to you, though I believe it is. I did state I feel TLOU was a higher-class if game in its production values - that means cinematically, animations, graphics etc.

gameplay wise, I disagree wholeheartedly. I had a much better time with DG as an experience. - IE Pushing buttons to do things - than I did in TLOU.

I can agree the presentation of the story; the delivery of certain narrative beats was poorly delivered in Days Gone, where despite what I feel about TLOU2’s story, that never happens. It’s always top Shelf....I liked Deacon’s story and I liked the cast of characters you meet. More so than what TLOU2 offered.

sorry to derail, you can spank me if you’d like.

I do not ever. I have never felt like...tired or bothered. I have seen some YouTubers say stuff like "Oh well I don't like this game I am not reviewing it" Which seems oddly like a reason you SHOULD review it. But ya.

You do reviews bro?

Do you feel like your level of enjoyment is the same for games you casually stroll through as opposed to ones you're playing for a job? I'm legit curious cause i've thought about getting into maybe doing some reviews and creating content....but I just know if it were done at the rate I like to play games you would get it after I looked at every little detail in the game cause I slog through lol

And if you're okay with sharing, drop some of your work man...I'm a creative myself(Different lane) but I love supporting and checking out other peoples work

Dodkrake

Banned
I don’t agree. I’m sure the argument isn’t subjective to you, though I believe it is. I did state I feel TLOU was a higher-class if game in its production values - that means cinematically, animations, graphics etc.

gameplay wise, I disagree wholeheartedly. I had a much better time with DG as an experience. - IE Pushing buttons to do things - than I did in TLOU.

I can agree the presentation of the story; the delivery of certain narrative beats was poorly delivered in Days Gone, where despite what I feel about TLOU2’s story, that never happens. It’s always top Shelf....I liked Deacon’s story and I liked the cast of characters you meet. More so than what TLOU2 offered.

sorry to derail, you can spank me if you’d like.
If it's higher class in production value, days gone is not better at everything, thus proving my point.

Top Bottom