• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima - Review Thread

Fake

The Witcher 3 and BOTW really excel in other areas, come on guys let it go. Not everything small talking point needs to be a "gotcha" thing, especially when talking about 50+ hours experiences.

Don't matter. No game should be immune to critic. Not because I enjoy the story and the char of Witcher 3 with IMO are the best this gen that make the combat gameplay being less trash. Take point.

Last edited:
Why am I not surprised that the same reviewers who were so eager to blow each other to praise TLoU2 as a masterpiece are now suddenly so meh with GoT?

This should be an easy wake up call to not listen or pay attention to any of these main stream journalists. They have zero credibility.

Ah, so you played GoT and it's by far the superior game? Hey, good news, Polygon and Kotaku feel about the same on both games!

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I should have said this gen my bad dawg. AC2 is my favorite game of all time and I platinumed WD2 but didn’t enjoy it one bit lol .fc3 was amazing. So I think we agree more than we don’t lol

Definitely! Ubi sells me on the promise of what their games could potentially be like. There is usually enough redeemable in any one of their games to keep me playing. Except for Breakpoint. When your game skyrockets downward to $10 this quickly in it's life, you dun fucked up.

carlosrox

Banned
Still on the fence. I really don't expect the gameplay to blow me away but it could be serviceable with some nice eye candy to keep me interested.

Definitely! Ubi sells me on the promise of what their games could potentially be like. There is usually enough redeemable in any one of their games to keep me playing. Except for Breakpoint. When your game skyrockets downward to $10 this quickly in it's life, you dun fucked up.
Yup they are good at showing but not actually making 😂 if that makes sense lol

dorkimoe

I watched a few videos, ugh i always hated games with combat stances where you have to change them. I am not very good at that :(.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Yup they are good at showing but not actually making 😂 if that makes sense lol

I hear you :). I think they COULD make some great games still. It's like that band you like that had at least one amazing album and you keep buying the next hoping to hear them be that good again.

GymWolf

Kotaku

"at its core, it’s just another open-world game. I found myself audibly sighing every time I crested a hill towards a mystery objective only to find another fox to follow or another haiku to compose."

Funny how BotW had the exact same issue and yet nobody said anything about it.
Because korok seeds, breakable weapons and samey shrines are far more interesting than what you find in tsushima, and people with good tastes know that.

I watched a few videos, ugh i always hated games with combat stances where you have to change them. I am not very good at that :(.
Yea that stoped me from enjoying nioh. It was Kinda ok in for honor. This game seems a little easier on stance than those two(I didn’t play the game lol I’m just trying to assure you that it might not be like that based on what I’ve seen so far )

Saruhashi

Banned
Wait 2-3 months, you'll see exactly what I'm talking about. When the zeitgeist is over, and reality sets in.

What do you mean?

I'm saying it's an 84 NOW so it's not being touted as a 90+ game. Probably not game of the year or game of the generation level.

You reckon down the line people will be saying it's more of a 5 out of 10?

Any examples of a game that has no shitty factors and doesn't suck just so we can see how reviewers scored that compared to this one?

Fnord

In the olden days reviews were about what a game was. Now I dont even know what is being reviewed.

Are reviewers playing the game that is infront of them, or in their minds? Are they revieweing what they wish couldve been, or what is not there?

How did reviewes got so disconnected from the product, instead opting to discuss an idea?

That's why I always liked Roger Ebert's movie reviews as opposed to Gene Siskell's reviews. Ebert would review the movie he saw. Siskell tended to review the movie he would have made instead of the movie he saw.

not fans. Sony fanatics. That demented tribalism, second only to islamic fanatics. Which a big portion os sony fans are made of. I hope i'll be well served
Damn man, you probably started off just trolling these fanatic fools and it was probably pretty funny. But, somewhere along the way you kinda just became like one of them, just in a different way.

Last edited:

GymWolf

This is not as complicated or deep as nioh, in here you simply have to use a particular stance for a particular enemy, so just memorize what enemy is weak against a particular stance and you are good to go.

Don't matter. No game should be immune to critic. Not because I enjoy the story and the char of Witcher 3 with IMO are the best this gen that make the combat gameplay being less trash. Take point.

It wasn't really immune to criticism, the game got a 92 Metascore with some reviewers mentioning subpar gameplay. At the end of the day though it REALLY excelled in everything else so that's why it gets praised like crazy to this day. TW3 is also a full on RPG and not really comparable to GOT.

Raven117

Because korok seeds, breakable weapons and samey shrines are far more interesting than what you find in tsushima, and people with good tastes know that.
Ha! Buuuut, BotW is the best game ever made!

(it’s also clear that Witcher 3 is far more influential)

Fake

It wasn't really immune to criticism, the game got a 92 Metascore with some reviewers mentioning subpar gameplay. At the end of the day though it REALLY excelled in everything else so that's why it gets praised like crazy to this day. TW3 is also a full on RPG and not really comparable to GOT.

Dude, are you missing the entire conversation? Those review made critics about problems in GoT that can be found in other games like Witcher 3. And don't matter if Witcher 3 is a RPG or not because for them, they will make the same silly comparison. As much IGN gave GoT a 9/10, still find ridiculous for the first 5 seconds of video he spoke of Assassin Creed. I mean, wtf? But hey, at least they game 9/10, right?

Try to watch those reviews and if you played the games they mention, make yourself a comparison. No hard science. Getting to much attached to score don't make good either. Already plat Witcher 3 and still find stupid seeing people defending their shit combat gameplay.

Last edited:
I'm glad I was wrong. I was betting it was going to be a solid 75, like Days gone. But it's looking great.
I honestly thought it was going to be in the lower 70's, but I'm glad I was wrong as well. It looks like a good time. And, If you've ever wanted to be a Samurai as a kid... now is your chance!

Last edited:
Really bummed that one of the universal complaints is that the stealth is underwhelming and too easy. Im still waiting for my modern ninja blacklist-style stealth action game.

Tell me about it. An unfortunate criticism, given the story of the game.

I was lucky enough to vacation in Japan last year and see many historic buildings, castles and temples. A lot of them are really dark inside, with only natural light, and look amazing. Stealth would have really shined here. Some of the interiors in Sekiro look just like the real thing.

I honestly didn't see a lot besides open fields, and single story huts in the game so far. I still didn't see anything approaching an actual city, so hopefully it's just stuff not revealed yet.

Peroroncino

Witcher 3 as well, but looks like those types of game have some sort of bulletproof.

Witcher 3 came out 5 years ago as an action-RPG, emphasis on the RPG part. I imagine back then open-world fatigue wasn't really a thing or it wasn't as wide-spread among gamers/reviewers as it seems to be now.

Dude, are you missing the entire conversation? Those review made critics about problems in GoT that can be found in other games like Witcher 3. And don't matter if Witcher 3 is a RPG or not because for them, they will make the same silly comparison. As much IGN gave GoT a 9/10, still find ridiculous for the first 5 seconds of video he spoke of Assassin Creed. I mean, wtf?

Try to watch those reviews and if you played the games they mention, make yourself a comparison. No hard science. Getting to much attached to score don't make good either.

I'm attached? You're the one getting heated for no reason. I'm not missing anything, I'm disagreeing with your logic and I'm going to try to explain what I mean with an example. Let's say you have sex with this cute girl, she's kind of hot and shit but there isn't much that really clings to your memory. Except she has a mole in her ass cheek and you find that to be uncanny. Now imagine the same mole on this other girl who's absolutely juicy, hot as fuck, great tits, perfect round ass. And yeah she has some gameplay problems as well, but the overall package offered by her body is stronger. The mole is much less likely to bother you when you're having so much fun with everything else.

I cannot be clearer than that.

Fake

Witcher 3 came out 5 years ago as an action-RPG, emphasis on the RPG part. I imagine back then open-world fatigue wasn't really a thing or it wasn't as wide-spread among gamers/reviewers as it seems to be now.

Yeah, for some time I even talk with John from Digital Foundry that could some gamers suffering from open-wolrd fatigue, but that not apply to game journalist.
They whining about every game being a 'open-world', but at the same time praise every Assassin Creed game.

Imagine me saying I tired of first person shooter, but at the same time saying 'can't wait for the next Call of Duty'. That don't make any sense at all.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Ah, so you played GoT and it's by far the superior game? Hey, good news, Polygon and Kotaku feel about the same on both games!

Nope. Just noting the hypocrisy of these reviewers. Having played TLOU2 to completion (and obtaining a platinum trophy), the majority of "complaints" they state about GoT can easily be said for TLOU2, but were ignored in their reviews.

Meanwhile non-mainstream journalists are more than willing to note the flaws of a product and the strengths. Folks like ACG, Angry Joe, SkillUp, Colin Moriarty, even if you disagree with them they at least have earned some semblance of respect and trust. Mainstream journalism has shown that it isn't to be trusted and that they are an outdated and rotting pustule in gaming. Stick with streamers and youtubers who actually have shown themselves to be trustworthy.

EDIT: I don't even know why I bother. You are nothing but a troll.

Last edited:

Fake

I'm attached? You're the one getting heated for no reason. I'm not missing anything, I'm disagreeing with your logic and I'm going to try to explain what I mean with an example. Let's say you have sex with this cute girl, she's kind of hot and shit but there isn't much that really clings to your memory. Except she has a mole in her ass cheek and you find that to be uncanny. Now imagine the same mole on this other girl who's absolutely juicy, hot as fuck, great tits, perfect round ass. And yeah she has some gameplay problems as well, but the overall package offered by her body is stronger. The mole is much less likely to bother you when you're having so much fun with everything else.

I cannot be clearer than that.

Jez, wtf was that? Nothing wrong asking for reviewers to be partial. I guess he reach the part of 'agree to disagree'.

Last edited:

ToadMan

Tell me about it. An unfortunate criticism, given the story of the game.

I was lucky enough to vacation in Japan last year and see many historic buildings, castles and temples. A lot of them are really dark inside, with only natural light, and look amazing. Stealth would have really shined here. Some of the interiors in Sekiro look just like the real thing.

I honestly didn't see a lot besides open fields, and single story huts in the game so far. I still didn't see anything approaching an actual city, so hopefully it's just stuff not revealed yet.

In the timescale depicted, Tsushima was an island with 300 people. I don’t think there’s gonna be anything approaching city size at all.

I’d be surprised if there’s much beyond isolated farms with a few outs houses.

Nope. Just noting the hypocrisy of these reviewers. Having played TLOU2 to completion (and obtaining a platinum trophy), the majority of "complaints" they state about GoT can easily be said for TLOU2, but they were ignored in their reviews.

Ah yes, TLOU II the open world samurai game. It just might be possible whatever elements are similar are done better in one game than another? Who knows!

Fake

In the timescale depicted, Tsushima was an island with 300 people. I don’t think there’s gonna be anything approaching city size at all.

I’d be surprised if there’s much beyond isolated farms with a few outs houses.

Maybe some castles? Is like TLOUSpart2 reviews. They got limited of what they can show. Digital Foundry will show a video about GoT tomorrow, but I guess will be limited as well.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I like well done stealth. Far Cry games are always fun for that reason I can always take down a camp and have a good time doing it. I liked the predator missions of the Batman Arkham games too, they were often the best part of the game. Right now I’m playing Horizon Zero Dawn for the first time and loving the stealth elements. It’s a popular gaming trope and can be done well or poorly like any other. This having good cinematic stealth only gets me more hyped.

Jez, wtf was that? Nothing wrong asking for reviewers to be partial. I guess he reach the part of 'agree to disagree'.

If that example didn't illustrate why something might be a problem in a game but not so much in some other game, then yeah we have no choice but to agree to disagree lol.

Following a glowing bird is exactly the same as following an icon on a mini-map. Honestly, I felt the Skill-Up review was kind of unfair to Assassin's Creed here. In AC now, you have to fly around as your bird friend and scout out all of the enemies and mark them like in Metal Gear 5 if you want icons to show up like that. You don't have the icons like he showed unless you want to take the time to mark them through actual gameplay. Here, you just randomly find a shiny object and follow it. It seems even more passive and mindless to me honestly, with the only "improvement" being that the icon is an animal instead of a number.

The UI at best has cosmetic changes and not gameplay changes. The numbers in AC are ugly visually, but they're actually more interactive in terms of gameplay than following an animal.

Karak

I wonder if reviewers even really get to sit back and enjoy the game like us...To me that first experience...leisurely just strolling around and exploring the world means everything in a single player game. I'd have hard time enjoying an open world game if I had to power through to meet a deadline
I do not ever. I have never felt like...tired or bothered. I have seen some YouTubers say stuff like "Oh well I don't like this game I am not reviewing it" Which seems oddly like a reason you SHOULD review it. But ya.

Last edited:
Top Bottom