• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima - Review Thread

Dodkrake

Banned
I don't understand the fucking review world anymore.
This game get's a 84 while TLoU II 94

This looks so much more fun any unique.

I don't understand the fucking review world anymore
People that have never played the game feel entitled to review it

Judging a game by how it looks does not constitute a review

/irony off

I'm picking my collectors edition on friday and hope this is as good as TLOU2 was for me. That was a solid 96, so being presented with 2 GOTY contenders in a row would be just incredible.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Media reviewers ranting about how easy it is. Of course, when you play it on easy or normal, what the fuck do you expect?

Media average will be below 83.

User average higher than 88.

At least that's what's my crystal ball showed me.

Last edited:

GymWolf

The only thing i don't like about the locations are the non-dynamic mud, i was treated too well by rdr2 and tlou2.

They are probably using all the cpu power to animate all the windy vegetation, well at least the guy got mud in his armour if he rolls in it.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
Polygon

"Ghost of Tsushima has a distinctive aesthetic, after all, but it’s only skin-deep. The core game underneath that alluring exterior is a pastiche of open-world game design standards from five years ago; it lacks a real personality of its own.

Vice

"It’s a game where so many individual components feel really good, but it’s all dropped into outdated structure."

Kotaku

at its core, it’s just another open-world game. I found myself audibly sighing every time I crested a hill towards a mystery objective only to find another fox to follow or another haiku to compose.

Eurogamer

It's another game fallen victim to the palatability blender, coming out the other side as a slightly formless smudge of every genre, without a mastery of any.

The Verge

Ghost of Tsushima just doesn’t dig far enough into what makes it unique. It’s big and beautiful — but you have to have the patience of a samurai to discover what makes it special.

Kotaku said:
Jin is the head of his clan, an aristocratic warrior who never wanted for anything in his life. Why is he so eager to squeeze every last resource from the people he’s supposed to be protecting? Life was hard before the Mongols arrived, and now villages and farms are burning. Those supplies would be much more useful in attending to refugees rather than a man whose sole ambition is reinstating the power structure that enforced these hardships in the first place.

Way to answer your own question, Kotaku :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Dory16

Banned
I hardly ever shared an opinion with the SkillUp guy, why should I start now?
He lost me at "this is the most beautiful game I have ever seen" followed by 5 mns of description of the beauty. Using so much hyperbole on the most subjective of criteria just doesn't do much for his credibility at a time when payola for youtube reviews is heavily suspected. 7:10 mns into the review and all I've heard so far is how beautiful the game is. He seems completely intent on making up my mind for me about that before I go in. And spending so much time on the optics without mentioning any metrics (framerate? resolution? rendering techniques?) is juvenile.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
The Haiku part is really cool.

Everything they're saying in this review is EXACTLY what I want to hear. As much as everyone seems to want the whole encampment alerted when stealth doesn't work, the majority of stealth players are more than happy to accept the idea you can avoid that if you kill those you've alerted before they can call for help. That system is what makes stealth fun in my opinion, and what DESTROYED TLOU2.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Everything they're saying in this review is EXACTLY what I want to hear. As much as everyone seems to want the whole encampment alerted when stealth doesn't work, the majority of stealth players are more than happy to accept the idea you can avoid that if you kill those you've alerted before they can call for help. That system is what makes stealth fun in my opinion, and what DESTROYED TLOU2.

Agreed. Also why I enjoyed it in RDR2 when chasing witnesses down so they don't alert the authorities.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
He lost me at "this is the most beautiful game I have ever seen" followed by 5 mns of description of the beauty. Using so much hyperbole on the most subjective of criteria just doesn't do much for his credibility at a time when payola for youtube reviews is heavily suspected. 7:10 mns into the review and all I've heard so far is how beautiful the game is. He seems completely intent on making up my mind for me about that before I go in. And spending so much time on the optics without mentioning any metrics (framerate? resolution? rendering techniques?) is juvenile.

We get it, your tag is fitting. You don't need to shit up every Sony thread.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
No, no-one ever did that

IherNbv.png

Are you trying to "win" on a technicality, or do you honestly believe that gamers have been congratulating developers/publishers at the exact same rate since the dawn of time?

You have no corner to hide in now. The spotlight is everywhere! Choose your fate!

HotPocket69

Banned
Listen young fella, I've been posting on videogame message boards since you've been in diapers...all the way back in the early 00s.

People did not congratulate studios/publishers when review embargos were lifted.

This is a relatively new occurrence that's popped up in the last year or two.

But don't worry. I'm going to solve this issue and figure out why everyone is becoming corporate zombies.

To normal people!

It’s like people clapping in the theater after the movie is over 🤢

The embarrassment by proxy chills are just too much to bear

THEAP99

Banned
Finished watching a handful of Ghost of Tsushima reviews. ‬

‪Very much looking forward to playing it Friday! Though it does seem like a Suckerpunch open world game where I’ll get bored after a few hours. We’ll see!‬

Btw my prediction about 83 MC pretty much accurate. Just a good open world game.

I'm a little worried about the AI from some of the vids im seeing

But this is my most anticipated exclusive this generation. I been screaming, kicking, and yelling for a game that explores Samurai culture like this for years. Preordered the digital deluxe the day it went up and i'm just waiting on the release.

Question for those of you knowledgeable about Sonys preorder cancellation stance...do you get banned for cancelling/getting a refund? Cause a coworker of mine got the game last night since his local walmart broke the street date and I could get him to go pick a copy for me up this afternoon lol

I'm off from Thursday-Tuesday for this game!

GymWolf

The guy sometimes is full of shit and i don't trust him, but basically every reviewer is saying the same thing, this game has one of the best graphics for this generation, i mean look at some of the screens we posted.

Sometimes a game is just good looking even without knowing resolution, framerate or other technical data.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrS

Mossybrew

So this looks to be one of those games where reviewers don't care much about it but it is actually really good. In other words it is Samurai Days Gone which was my GOTY for 21019 so that is no insult.

There's a decent percentage of reviewers that are just tired of large, lengthy open world games - mainly because reviewing this game for a job where you have to power through it, and playing at your leisure with no deadline are two entirely different experiences.

Last edited:
Listen young fella, I've been posting on videogame message boards since you've been in diapers...all the way back in the early 00s.

LOL

And I feel you bro, I been posting on forums for a long time and reading game reviews/participating since like 99/2000 and yeah...when I see people celebrate game review embargos being lifted a few days before release i'm like....uhhhhh close embargos typically signal uncertainty on the part of the publishers.

Reactions: MrS

jaysius

Banned
So much fluffing for Sony on this one, as predicted, nobody wants to get blacklisted from PS5 coverage.

Lots of glazing over huge shitty factors that make the game suck and deciding on a higher score than deserved.

My crystal ball is saying, HYPE TRAIN prevails for about 2-3 months, when everyone cools down and comes to a realization that this game isn't all that it's hyped to be, we'll start seeing "Ghost of Tsushima isn't as great as they say" threads out the wazoo.

When you realize what all the reviews are really saying, it's that this is another Sucker Punch open world game, some people LOVE THAT, I for one am lukewarm to MEH on it.

It's hard for me overall to go backwards from the smoothness of animation and motion you get out of Nioh 2, and also lack of animation in cutscenes(as mentioned in multiple reviews).

This game's release date isn't a mistake, look at what it's competing with... crickets and tumble weeds, smart on Sony's part.

Last edited:
LOL

And I feel you bro, I been posting on forums for a long time and reading game reviews/participating since like 99/2000 and yeah...when I see people celebrate game review embargos being lifted a few days before release i'm like....uhhhhh close embargos typically signal uncertainty on the part of the publishers.
Or maybe they don’t want shit to get leaked? Which is a much bigger problem now than it was in 99/2000

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Does any review talk about the differences between the resolution mode and the performance mode? If anyone knows, let me know. Thanks.

GymWolf

There's a decent percentage of reviewers that are just tired of large, lengthy open world games - mainly because reviewing this game for a job where you have to power through it, and playing at your leisure with no deadline are two entirely different experiences.
Or they just have shitty taste.

I mean, imagine scoring the last 2 ac (or the ac saga in general) or broken stuff like fallout 4 around 80-85, just to give days gone a 71.

But yeah, what you say is one of the main reason why reviews are useless.

Last edited:
I don't understand the fucking review world anymore
People that have never played the game feel entitled to review it

Judging a game by how it looks does not constitute a review

/irony off

I'm picking my collectors edition on friday and hope this is as good as TLOU2 was for me. That was a solid 96, so being presented with 2 GOTY contenders in a row would be just incredible.

With more people watching games instead of actually playing the games that is more than enough to have on opinion.
Playing games in 2020, lul

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So much fluffing for Sony on this one, as predicted, nobody wants to get blacklisted from PS5 coverage.

Lots of glazing over huge shitty factors that make the game suck and deciding on a higher score than deserved.

My crystal ball is saying, HYPE TRAIN prevails for about 2-3 months, when everyone cools down and comes to a realization that this game isn't all that it's hyped to be, we'll start seeing "Ghost of Tsushima isn't as great as they say" threads out the wazoo.

When you realize what all the reviews are really saying, it's that this is another Sucker Punch open world game, some people LOVE THAT, I for one am lukewarm to MEH on it.
v3V8XHwTmEBcSO-hWLX2QTsNA87H2XKwp4GSFjcjnwvll2MfaTDTGGJgI1G0NTFAMbSlZ35d72ugo0T_WHfXGB4rZikRBEqXP82DYXYByQ-k2W9DjinGmz0pS0Cyx5Ks8A

THEAP99

Banned
Finished watching a handful of Ghost of Tsushima reviews. ‬

‪Very much looking forward to playing it Friday! Though it does seem like a Suckerpunch open world game where I’ll get bored after a few hours. We’ll see!‬

Btw my prediction about 83 MC pretty much accurate. Just a good open world game.
What I like from the reviews/footage I’ve seen: pretty world, some side stuff seems interesting, not as bloated as other games, fun looking combat, plenty of upgrades and stuff

What I don’t like: black bars in cut scenes, main story seems okay, most of the side stuff is just typical open world stuff, stealth seems bad, AI also seems bad, enemy camps are generic, and pretty static looking acting and animation.

All in all, I’m excited to play it this Friday! But I can’t help but to think it’s not gonna be that good to me to justify $60. Looks more like a wait for sale as suckerpunch just continues making pretty and fun but overall rough games. Hopefully I like it better than infamous 2nd son.

Or they just have shitty taste.

I mean, imagine scoring the last 2 ac (or the ac saga in general) or broken stuff like fallout 4 around 80-85, jist to give days gone a 71.

But yeah, what you say is one of the main reason why reviews are useless.
EVERYTHING from Ubisoft this gen should’ve scored below 80. Enjoyed days gone more than all the new IPs they created

Or maybe they don’t want shit to get leaked? Which is a much bigger problem now than it was in 99/2000

Ehhhh like homie above said we been doing this long enough to know...naaaaah

Leaks historically happen once the games go into production physically as opposed to some random reviewer putting their livelihood on the line lol. Hell I've been involved in beta/alpha testing ever since that horrible 'Matrix Online' mmo and I've participated in dozens of tests since and leaks occur their too.

Review embargos are part of the way things go now..they just are. But as a consumer I wish we had more of an idea of how the game performs a lot sooner than 72 hours before its release(or day of)....and to some people a close review/embargo date signals a little uncertainty. I mean to keep it simple...if you got something dope...who wants to hide it?

I'm not speaking down on Ghosts...as I said in another post in the thread its probably my most anticipated exclusive for this entire generation...I'd say Breath of the Wild and this game are my most anticipated exclusives for this console cycle

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I've found that just listening to reviews and not watching them is the best option. It's easy to get distracted when you watch them. Many many things these reviewers say bare no resemblance to what I consider a good game or bad game, in fact, a LOT of the time, a negative point they make is actually something I love.

Last edited:
Top Bottom