• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima - Review Thread

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Looks like just another open world game. Which I am sick and tired of design wise. This would have benefitted big time being wide-linear.

Hunnybun

Xotaxu: No score.

"..throughout playing this game I was in turmoil as I struggled to grasp why a Japanese corporation should promote a western developer to appropriate its history and culture. I refused to engage in any in-game action that I felt was too westernised, leaving me to contemplate the more profound conflict in society at large today.

Also the game has no observably non-binary characters and I was unable to find the option to turn my hair blue. I'll be deep-diving into these issues in a separate report.
"

Sounds like a problematic game made by shitty developers for a trash company.

MrS

Banned
More screens? More screens:

image_ghost_of_tsushima-42372-3966_0012.jpg

image_ghost_of_tsushima-42372-3966_0013.jpg

image_ghost_of_tsushima-42372-3966_0004.jpg

PSlayer

Picture Justin Bieber fans "congratulating" Justin Bieber on his new album when they haven't heard it and only seen mixed reviews on it.

Or James Patterson fans "congratulating" him before the release of his next book when reviewers gave it mixed impressions.

It just. Fucking. Weird.

Oh and before you say "84 isn't mixed!!" realize that the scale for AAA games is essentially 70-100, not 0-100.

This all feels a bit too "One of us. One of us..." and like I said, I've been a PlayStation gamer for 25 years.

Pretty much this! For triple A games a 7+ out 10(or 70+ out 100) is usually where the mediocre,cookie-cutter games are rated. In that context,an 84 means barely above average/kind of good.

With that said,i don't trust reviewers and will wait for word of mouth of you guys + youtubers that i trust.

_Justinian_

Gold Member

"..throughout playing this game I was in turmoil as I struggled to grasp why a Japanese corporation should promote a western developer to appropriate its history and culture. I refused to engage in any in-game action that I felt was too westernised, leaving me to contemplate the more profound conflict in society at large today.

Also the game has no observably non-binary characters and I was unable to find the option to turn my hair blue. I'll be deep-diving into these issues in a separate report.
"
This is a joke right? Please tell me this a joke. Never had I felt the urge to reach through my screen and slap someone as I do right now.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Picture Justin Bieber fans "congratulating" Justin Bieber on his new album when they haven't heard it and only seen mixed reviews on it.

Or James Patterson fans "congratulating" him before the release of his next book when reviewers gave it mixed impressions.

It just. Fucking. Weird.

Oh and before you say "84 isn't mixed!!" realize that the scale for AAA games is essentially 70-100, not 0-100.

This all feels a bit too "One of us. One of us..." and like I said, I've been a PlayStation gamer for 25 years.

It's NOT getting mixed reviews though.

The game has a Kurosawa mode but is originally dubbed in English? Game as entertainment is just stepping on on any last trace of good sense I thought we had

Humdinger

I'm glad to hear that it's on the easy side, and that the story is worthwhile. I was concerned the combat would be too demanding, and that the story would fall flat -- that doesn't seem to be the case. I did have a concern about the game not including a lighthearted balancing element, and that does seem to be the case, as reviewers are commenting on the game being "po-faced" and somber. But I guess that's just part of the style they're going for. You didn't see much goofing around in the samurai movies they're trying to emulate.

The main criticisms seem to be stuff that accompanies most open-world games, so that's no big deal.

I'll pick it up when I'm in the mood for a serious-toned samurai game. At the moment, I'm enjoying more lighthearted fare. But I'm glad that Sony and Sucker Punch are leaving the generation on a high note.

Looking forward to gamer impressions as well. I have come to distrust critic reviews, but I'm not sensing critical bias is affecting this one too much. I could be wrong, so I'll be attending to gamer and Youtuber impressions as well.

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned
Do people really think low 80s to mid 80s is a bad score? Wtf happened to gaming? Lol!

People enjoy having bragging rights online more than they enjoy playing the games.

Personally I would consider the genre of any given game before I would look at review scores. The best reviewed online shooter ever is still something I ain't interested in playing.

Then I'd consider the developer since I would tend to enjoy something from From Software but absolutely hate Naughty Dog.

I'd use reviews more for games I am interested in but need a bit more detail before pulling the trigger.

Sub 90 is seen as a bd score for some reason. Yet most 90+ games have a large number of players saying they are overrated.

You can't win, basically.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Meh. Its just people excited for a new game. Is it really that weird?

The review scores are confirmation that if people liked what they saw in gameplay and trailers so far then they are going to have a great time.

This is a videogame forum after all. It would be more weird if everyone was just solemnly talking about how they are going to spend 60 bucks and play the game as dispassionately as possible.

Listen young fella, I've been posting on videogame message boards since you've been in diapers...all the way back in the early 00s.

People did not congratulate studios/publishers when review embargos were lifted.

This is a relatively new occurrence that's popped up in the last year or two.

But don't worry. I'm going to solve this issue and figure out why everyone is becoming corporate zombies.

To normal people!

Bkdk

The user score of this should be better than TLoU2, probably around 7.5 to 7.9. Just watched the IGN review and seems like he wanted to give it a 7.5 to 8 for all his complains, that stealth mechanics video seems like the game is just broken, he still gave it a 9 in the end lol.

Eiknarf

I’m gonna ask this in the COLOR OR BLACK AND WHITE thread too, so don’t get mad at me. Hahaha.

But, what was the native language when they wrote and recorded and animated this game? English or Japanese? Was the Japanese an afterthought?

I love watching my foreign movies in their native voices and I love to read subtitles. It’s real that way. Was this game made and designed in Japanese first?

Dodkrake

Banned
The user score of this should be better than TLoU2, probably around 7.5 to 7.9. Just watched the IGN review and seems like he wanted to give it a 7.5 to 8 for all his complains, that stealth mechanics video seems like the game is just broken, he still gave it a 9 in the end lol.

Oh god, I should play in the lottery. This is too predictable.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.

It just. Fucking. Weird.

It's just that your scale for mixed reviews is a little off. 8 is good. An 9 or close to it is great

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Listen young fella, I've been posting on videogame message boards since you've been in diapers...all the way back in the early 00s.

People did not congratulate studios/publishers when review embargos were lifted.

No, no-one ever did that

IherNbv.png

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs

"
Where is this review? That cannot be real. Is it a sarcastic post?

Saruhashi

Banned

But don't worry. I'm going to solve this issue and figure out why everyone is becoming corporate zombies.

To normal people!

Haha.

"Back in my day we didn't even smile when playing a videogame, lest we be accused of shilling."

Relax dude. People are just happy the game they've forked out hard cash for looks like it's actually going to be pretty damn good.

Nothing wrong with showing appreciation to developers.

You never had good service in a restaurant and left a larger than usual tip? Or went out of your way to let the kitchen staff know you enjoyed the meal?

Nico_D

Honestly, I’m more likely to enjoy a low 80s game than anything rated over 90, which is usually just hyped garbage.

Oh... Actually, same here. Never thought that before but now that you mentioned it, it seems I more often have fun with 80-90 games than 90+. Revelation!

Top Bottom