• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOT review embargo up on 14/07

CrysisFreak

Banned
Are you ready to be a Samurai?
1594448614290.jpg

thelastword

Banned
Yeah, we shouldn't trust the overall consensus that The Witcher 3 is a high mark of the industry, we should trust NeoGAF poster CliffordUnger.
NO no, if you enjoyed the Witcher 3 that's great, it excelled on certain levels, but I'm just saying, the primary aspect of a game is the gameplay and if I spend 40-100hrs on a RPG or action game, the combat and camera had better be good. It's a long time to spend in a game where the controls and camera are not optimum. Anybody who has played a Sucker Punch game, knows how fluid and responsive they are with very solid mechanics.....

NO no, if you enjoyed the Witcher 3 that's great, it excelled on certain levels, but I'm just saying, the primary aspect of a game is the gameplay and if I spend 40-100hrs on a RPG or action game, the combat and camera had better be good. It's a long time to spend in a game where the controls and camera are not optimum. Anybody who has played a Sucker Punch game, knows how fluid and responsive they are with very solid mechanics.....

One of many reasons i can’t finish w3 is the combat. Another reason is i don’t remember which npc i’ve played gwent with lol. Is there any option to show who you’ve played with?

Last edited:

CrysisFreak

Banned
Yeah it's one of the reasons I love the inFamous franchise. It was always so satisfying to control. None of that input latency startup animation bullshit.

THEAP99

Banned
Yeah it's one of the reasons I love the inFamous franchise. It was always so satisfying to control. None of that input latency startup animation bullshit.
Infamous 2nd son is weightless and the controls are not good whatsoever. Not sure what your talking about

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Infamous 2nd son is weightless and the controls are not good whatsoever. Not sure what your talking about
I’m actually not sure what you are talking about, I had also no issues with its controls whatsoever, in fact what I like about Sucker Punch’s games is how well they control. I have my issues with Second Son but the controls is not one of them.

I'm a Nintendo fan homie, I don't need to be told that gameplay is the most important part of a game. My point is that The Witcher 3 was one of those really high points that come out at most like 5 times each gen. I don't think it's logical to expect GOT to reach that level on a pure statistical level.

A better AssCreed Odyssey is a much more attainable expectation.

iorek21

Witcher 3 is possibly the worst RPG of the generation when it comes to gameplay. Just controlling Geralt was simply terrible.

I agree with this so much.

The Witcher 3 is an amazing package of story/content and a terrible game at the same time.

While the TW3 has great quest design, dialogue, writing and meaty content, the gameplay/mechanics are serviceable at its best, and awful at its worst.

- Geralt's animations and movement is utter crap, janky, floaty and inconsistent;
- Combat is frequently unresponsive, with lots of hitbox issues; on higher difficulties, you have not only to fight your enemies, but also the controls/janky movements;
- Level gating is stupid as fuck; perk system is also very stupid and worthless, making builds and other kind of strategies meaningless;
- Inventory is terrible and you can only slot 4 itens/potions, meaning that if you need any other oil/potion, you have to open the menu, go to the right tab and find the item you need;
- Roach is the least bad thing about the gameplay loop, but it also glitches a lot;

On a gameplay level, I'm afraid that even AC Odyssey/Origins are better than TW3.

The Witcher 3 is recognized as one of the best this gen because of its content and story, because its gameplay is slightly above Spiders level of quality

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
I bought a solid budget 4k hdr Monitor this week, with this game in mind. Probably won’t get ps5 day one anyways cus I wanna wait for HFW and for non-faulty launch models.

Looking forward to playing this on my new monitor on my pro. Have they given details about the ps4 pro enhancements?

CrysisFreak

Banned
I bought a solid budget 4k hdr Monitor this week, with this game in mind. Probably won’t get ps5 day one anyways cus I wanna wait for HFW and for non-faulty launch models.

Looking forward to playing this on my new monitor on my pro. Have they given details about the ps4 pro enhancements?
I don't think so. Probably just a resolution increase like TLOU2.

Seems overall reception is absolutely positive. Great.
Of course. I can confirm that it is practically impossible to dislike GoT if you like this type of game.
It is better than any AC, especially combat. But it is more than that. This game has a soul, which completely differs from recent Ubisoft productions.
IchibanKasuga21 IchibanKasuga21 or anyone else, do you know if we can disable kinda unneeded hud elements like these?:

8c36de9e39ed2dc3ad367eab0b364cb3.png
78ee0bd39eb8bd4ce7883fcaeaf1cfe9.png

0efc6da88432fa9a12c701d8624954a5.png
e6f44440c5accf4f3f1065e8b28db988.png

6879b5aab8c9e1f0f69d25bc67482dbe.jpg
83c669bb4c4c490e0a63a860c7f3235c.png

b718c2af5fcf759d52998d1dab16cf64.png
I played about 4 hours. I do not think so. It didn't even bother me. I didn't even remember that effect. I'm going to ask my friend who already did everything in this game.

THEAP99

Banned
Of course. I can confirm that it is practically impossible to dislike GoT if you like this type of game.
It is better than any AC, especially combat. But it is more than that. This game has a soul, which completely differs from recent Ubisoft productions.

I played about 4 hours. I do not think so. It didn't even bother me. I didn't even remember that effect. I'm going to ask my friend who already did everything in this game.
Hmm. I was playing far cry 3 earlier today and noticed it had those same enemy indicators I don’t like it.
If you had to place any bet on number for metacritic critic average for this game, what would it be? Also, what about goty contending?

Hmm. I was playing far cry 3 earlier today and noticed it had those same enemy indicators I don’t like it.
If you had to place any bet on number for metacritic critic average for this game, what would it be? Also, what about goty contending?
I don't care much about metacritic. My favorite games have 68 (Nier) and 82 (The Last Guardian, Death Stranding)

My friend will give a 9. It is a very competent game and free from serious problems like bugs and performance problems even without updates. It is also a very easy game to please the audience.

TLOU2 will be the most awarded game of the year very easily, but I see GoT winning some awards. Death Stranding won about 80 gotys last year, but we didn't have any production like TLOU2. It must be a case like Zelda (TLOU2) vs Horizon (Tsushima) in 2017.

Last edited:

Danjin44

How can they judge how deep the combat is with just two hours play time and people really need to stop comparing this game to Sekiro just because both have samurai.

Sekiro’s is much more over the top compare to Ghost, you might as well compare Samurai Showdown to Ghost as well because both game have “samurai”.....right?

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
How can they judge how deep the combat is with just two hours play time and people really need to stop comparing this game to Sekiro just because both have samurai.

Sekiro’s is much more over the top compare to Ghost, you might as well compare Samurai Showdown to Ghost as well because both game have “samurai”.....right?
I can’t make a firm stance on combat until I grab it in my hands and play it. Responsiveness, weight, and satisfaction are most important to me. I could care less how “deep it is” so long the encounters, AI, and level design keep things fresh.

Generally speaking Sekiro to me felt kind of weightless. Idk. I’ll make an opinion on ghost’s combat system when I get my hands on it.

based on watching footage it seems like it took some influence from witcher, and Arkham, but wtf do I know. We’ll have to wait and see! It looks satisfying at least. Stealth seems okay but I like the emphasis they seem to be putting on the combat for “timing.” I’m honestly shit at soulsborne games, but ghost seems different and somewhat more nicer.
I like how you can perfectly choreograph a kill without any bullet sponging or BS, and it seems cinematic like a movie

though I will be sad if you can’t disable those dumb new indicators i talked about earlier (it’s not in this footage). I’ll also be sad if there’s no more dismemberment like the dude with a copy said

Last edited:

Danjin44

Generally speaking Sekiro to me felt kind of weightless. Idk. I’ll make an opinion on ghost’s combat system when I get my hands on it.
I definitely disagree with that, I personally in love with Sekiro’s combat system, its absolutely my favourite combat system in any FROM game.

Danjin44

I wish I wasn't trash at parrying FROM Software games.
I actually find the parry in Sekiro much easier to pull off compare to game like Bayonetta when you have to move your stick toward the enemy when they about to land a hit.

CrysisFreak

Banned
I wish I wasn't trash at parrying FROM Software games.
Sekiro parrying is naturally much easier than in Soulsborne or Nioh because well it's that central to the experience.

On topic I listened to the leaked OST 3 times now it is insanely good. Like maximum quality without a single compromise. It's going to be epic ingame.

Gediminas

Banned
I can’t make a firm stance on combat until I grab it in my hands and play it. Responsiveness, weight, and satisfaction are most important to me. I could care less how “deep it is” so long the encounters, AI, and level design keep things fresh.

based on watching footage it seems like it took some influence from witcher, and Arkham, but wtf do I know. We’ll have to wait and see! It looks satisfying at least. Stealth seems okay but I like the emphasis they seem to be putting on the combat for “timing.” I’m honestly shit at soulsborne games, but ghost seems different and somewhat more nicer.
I like how you can perfectly choreograph a kill without any bullet sponging or BS, and it seems cinematic like a movie

though I will be sad if you can’t disable those dumb new indicators i talked about earlier (it’s not in this footage). I’ll also be sad if there’s no more dismemberment like the dude with a copy said

what? no dismemberment ? so you want to say that they changed the game's code on random enemy to show dismemberment in the demo just to mislead the people?

Top Bottom