• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOT review embargo up on 14/07

THEAP99

Banned
New impressions from reddit
https://twitter.com/hashtag/GhostOfTsushima?src=hashtag_click
with proof provided:

- Basically a more improved Assasins Creed

- Not that similar to BOTW or Witcher 3 as early tweets said

- Basic but good main story, not as strong as TLOU or Red Dead in that aspect

- Beautiful graphics, not as advanced as TLOU2 or Red Dead 2

Eci_VE5X0AIttnt

THEAP99

Banned
with proof provided:

Eci_VE5X0AIttnt

Pretty disappointed those early tweets about it being like BOTW and Witcher 3 were completely off, but I expected it tbh.

Def a low 80 type of game. Still looking forward to it though! Will be a good open world game.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
with proof provided:

Eci_VE5X0AIttnt

Combat sounds really promising to me.
I only played a few hours of Nioh and although I enjoyed the mechanics I could tell that I'd really struggle once I got further in so abandoned it.

A more accessible Nioh sounds awesome. Glad to hear that there is some challenge and that the game punishes mistakes.

Not really surprised to hear that the AI for stealth is pretty basic though.

Cyborg

In my personal opinion I think this game will be as Uncharted was on PS3. The first game will be received with mixed feelings 80-85 after that SP can improve things with every new entry in the series. I love the fact that they are introducing a new IP! Cant wait to support the devs an play the game.

GreyHorace

with proof provided:

Eci_VE5X0AIttnt

Bit disappointed that the sidequests are not as complex as that of The Witcher 3's. Though this is one guy's opinion so we'll see when I finally play it. I just hope they're not crap like the quests of Dragon Age Inquisition.

Nice to hear praise about combat. Haven't played Nioh but if the combat has a feel like Sekiro or Jedi Fallen Order, then I'll be happy.

GymWolf

Pretty disappointed those early tweets about it being like BOTW and Witcher 3 were completely off, but I expected it tbh.

Def a low 80 type of game. Still looking forward to it though! Will be a good open world game.
He never looked similar to w3 or botw to me, so not really surprised.

The writing was always barely acceptable at best in the trailers and i didn't saw any physics or freedom like botw, i don't know what people was drinking when they did these comparison...the hype make people say funny things.

Whoever was expecting something different than a more polished AC was really reaching.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned

The writing was always barely acceptable at best in the trailers and i didn't saw any physics or freedom like botw, i don't know what people was drinking when they did these comparison...the hype make people say funny things.

Whoever was expecting something different than a more polished AC was really reaching.
It was this tweet! What a load of crap! In retrospect this was so dumb to run with. It even has 500 retweets and 2600 likes. WOW!

Last edited:

GymWolf

It was this tweet! What a load of crap!

Sucker punch never was a studio with great writing and especially great sidequest, the only legit game with a great plot (mostly thanks to the finale) was infamous 1, infamous 3 was pretty dreadfull both in terms of writing and sidequest (and i completed that game 4 times)

I love them and i love infamous saga but it's better being realistic in these cases.

I don't trust that tweet with the nioh comparison neither, the game really didn't looked at all like nioh, stances are not enough to be similar to that game.

Last edited:

Huge Sucker Punch fan here, those comparisons did them a disservice as they're really not that kind of studio. People who expect anything other than fun gameplay with a cool setting will be disappointed.

GymWolf

Huge Sucker Punch fan here, those comparisons did them a disservice as they're really not that kind of studio. People who expect anything other than fun gameplay with a cool setting will be disappointed.
I mean, devs can grown and hire new people, just look at guerrilla and horizon and compare that to the charas and plot of killzone...

But from the first couple of trailers it was pretty clear that this was not witcher 3 tier of story or writing, even for a non-expert like me.

The fact is, that i'm not even that sure about the combat being actually good this time, there is something off in the previous footage...but maybe it's just me, people all over the world buy ac games and pull their hairs out for that fucking free flow batman combat, so...

Last edited:

WellSheet

I’m not sure what you guys think....

but the more I settle into my expectations-realistically speaking - I’d like this game to really nail exploring.

Control was my GOTY last year, mainly due to that sense of adventure/exploration. I felt like I was uncovering these secrets left behind; these rooms and events.

Now obviously Control and GOT are two wildly different games, but I want that same feeling. I want to feel like I’m on an adventure and I’m discovering all these little events, moments etc...it should hopefully all feed back into progressing my build of Jin. I don’t want to explore a cool mountain top only to find an arbitrary collectible that doesn’t benefit my character/upgrade/skills...

these aren’t revolutionary ideas...just what I think I want the most when I see how beautiful and explorable they make the world look.

the combat, to me at least, was never going to match a Nioh or Sekiro...not because Sucker Punch couldn’t develop a system that robust, but because the goal isn’t to make a hardcore action game with that level of complexity. It’s a “lite” version of those at best I’d wager!

POSTSCRIPT: who the fuck uses “robust” in a sentence? I must be a sociopath.

WellSheet

I fuckin told you guys it was a load of horseshit 🤣

9WxtPIz.gif

😂😂😂😂😂

Never believe pre release Twitter Retard Hype

Oh but how we wish it were so!

I mean - honestly, if the game had side quests and such on that level it would stand to reason that they’d be showing them off way more....instead of a typical “clear X area”. Again, it to beat a dead horse into glue and then use said glue to assemble another bludgeoning device to use on a new horse.....but Sony’s PR and press on this game - EVEN WITH COVID BS - has been weird.

HotPocket69

Banned
Oh but how we wish it were so!

I mean - honestly, if the game had side quests and such on that level it would stand to reason that they’d be showing them off way more....instead of a typical “clear X area”. Again, it to beat a dead horse into glue and then use said glue to assemble another bludgeoning device to use on a new horse.....but Sony’s PR and press on this game - EVEN WITH COVID BS - has been weird.

Agreed and believe me I wish it were the opposite too, but it’s Sucker Punch. Have you played the Infamous games? What made the side shit so “good” (at least in Second Son) was that they could be completed in a minimal amount of time and always for some sort of decent reward. I bet it will be the same here, but with a more Creed-ish inspired design.

Prepare to have the option to blow up at least three or four shipyards is what I’m saying.

WellSheet

Agreed and believe me I wish it were the opposite too, but it’s Sucker Punch. Have you played the Infamous games? What made the side shit so “good” (at least in Second Son) was that they could be completed in a minimal amount of time and always for some sort of decent reward. I bet it will be the same here, but with a more Creed-ish inspired design.

Prepare to have the option to blow up at least three or four shipyards is what I’m saying.

Hmm..I haven’t played Second Son since it’s launch, so I don’t recall their mission design...

maybe I’m attributing to much to what developers pay attention or what is feasible in developing games....but you would think, especially if you’re trying to forge something memorable and have been given the resources to do so, you would try to break the mold a bit. But, maybe it’s the opposite - the U.O.W.F (Ubisoft open world formula 😜) is tried and tested for the masses, not the vocal minority that demands bespoke gameplay moments, character interactions and level designs. And honestly, few games could/have attained what I’m hoping GOT even touched on.

again, the dreams of a fool!

GymWolf

Hmm..I haven’t played Second Son since it’s launch, so I don’t recall their mission design...

maybe I’m attributing to much to what developers pay attention or what is feasible in developing games....but you would think, especially if you’re trying to forge something memorable and have been given the resources to do so, you would try to break the mold a bit. But, maybe it’s the opposite - the U.O.W.F (Ubisoft open world formula 😜) is tried and tested for the masses, not the vocal minority that demands bespoke gameplay moments, character interactions and level designs. And honestly, few games could/have attained what I’m hoping GOT even touched on.

again, the dreams of a fool!
The main problem is that ac odissey, a copy and paste game with mediocre gameplay and shitty story was the best seller ac game of all time, sony think that a more polished version of that is enough to sold 5-10 millions and sucker punch are not exactly some groundbreaking devs.

HotPocket69

Banned
The main problem is that ac odissey, a copy and paste game with mediocre gameplay and shitty story was the best seller ac game of all time, sony think that a more polished version of that is enough to sold 5-10 millions and sucker punch are not exactly some groundbreaking devs.

Remember when Ubi claimed that the Odyssey side quests were heavily inspired by Witcher 3? 😂

Christ I don’t think I’ve ever hit a dialogue skip button so much in any game over my 30+ years of this hobby lol

Last edited:

WellSheet

Totally.

trends will be chased! I know it wasn’t everyone’s GOTG, but God of War and the aforementioned Control werethe closest to this style of design I was hoping to see...and felt was hinted at by SP.I know both of those games were huge AC style open world games. But, despite that, I was hoping to see something more in line with those than AC.

They’ve had so much time to develop this game, I think the argument could be made they are trying to do something special, big, unprecedented, throw any other hype/buzzword in there...again, wishful thinking.

GymWolf

Totally.

trends will be chased! I know it wasn’t everyone’s GOTG, but God of War and the aforementioned Control werethe closest to this style of design I was hoping to see...and felt was hinted at by SP.I know both of those games were huge AC style open world games. But, despite that, I was hoping to see something more in line with those than AC.

They’ve had so much time to develop this game, I think the argument could be made they are trying to do something special, big, unprecedented, throw any other hype/buzzword in there...again, wishful thinking.
If they nail story and combat they are already light years ahead of ubisoft games.

GymWolf

I know that i sound like a broken record but the lack of ragdoll when he slay the last enemy on this gif is fucking hilarious to see in 2020. (Click if you can:t see the gif)

Last edited:

CrysisFreak

Banned

New combat clip.
Love that UI message popping up the middle of the screen

Just wanted to post that.
UI message says low health.
But yeah people who wanted the enemies to be as deadly as the player is can be happy. Prepare to die unless you play on easy.
Thankful for every single new gameplay clip at this point lmao.

THEAP99

Banned
Just wanted to post that.
UI message says low health.
But yeah people who wanted the enemies to be as deadly as the player is can be happy. Prepare to die unless you play on easy.
Thankful for every single new gameplay clip at this point lmao.
Would it seriously kill Sony or PlayStation to release a raw side quest ? The game is so big apparently so what’s the harm

CrysisFreak

Banned
Would it seriously kill Sony or PlayStation to release a raw side quest ? The game is so big apparently so what’s the harm
They are, for whatever reason, keeping things close to their chest. Well they have done that quite often this gen so oh well. It's going to make the 17th just that much more exciting, though I too wish for more reveals before that. I guess it's bad for people who haven't made up their mind about it yet.
7 days to go.
4 days until reviews show some more gameplay.

What does the objective say in the top left corner?
Kill Defeat the mongols around the stables.
Isn't the state of play from last month pretty much a raw side quest? Like attacking and clearing the mongol camp?

The new gif there (with the stables) is most likely also a side quest. Jin appears to have someone with him (someone shoots an arrow at the Mongol).

Keep expectations low until reviews pop up. We'll also see people start streaming around Tuesday/Wednesday, because I expect stores to sell it early (or people getting their pre-orders early).

Last edited:
Bit disappointed that the sidequests are not as complex as that of The Witcher 3's. Though this is one guy's opinion so we'll see when I finally play it. I just hope they're not crap like the quests of Dragon Age Inquisition.

Nice to hear praise about combat. Haven't played Nioh but if the combat has a feel like Sekiro or Jedi Fallen Order, then I'll be happy.
That is exact opposite of what everyone been saying dude. They are not crap, just the opposite, they are as complex as Witcher 3 side quests, I don't know how you get your wires crossed but you got it completely wrong.

I fuckin told you guys it was a load of horseshit 🤣

9WxtPIz.gif

😂😂😂😂😂

Never believe pre release Twitter Retard Hype
Maybe everyone is jumping the gun a bit here. We don't have official reviews, haven't gotten our own hands on the game... just word of mouth lots of FUD going around. He said she said situation. One guy thinks most of the quests not as complex as some other guy thinks, didn't say they suck. Also, maybe these people played different sidequests?

What are we basing our views on exactly? Do these people know good writing when they see it? What are the qualifications for being "as good as Witcher 3's", and how do we know we'll have the same impression when we play it ourselves? A whole lot of nothing, this all is.

93 Metacritic and hundreds of awards won. That’s why is fucking ridiculous to even put Ghost and Witcher 3 in the same sentence
Did Witcher 3 win those awards before release? Did anyone see CDPR as a AAA megatalented studio outside of a niche PC audience before Witcher 3?
Edit: Look I'm not saying GoT will be anything like Witcher 3. I'm saying nothing is set in stone, and opinions are just that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom