• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima - Review Thread

Keihart

yep, it does remember witcher 3 sometimes.
2753065-1202688343-mxBHg.gif
iu

Keihart

There is a path. Just like Uncharted 2 was the original Uncharted's path. Now; given the genre they've dug themselves into they'll need to grow by at least 100 more devs to make the jump into that club. Not to mention, have the magic happen and the stars align. Both Sucker Punch and Bend have no business making open world games the way they're staffed but here they're - delivering quality.

I do wonder as you do about what decisions will be taken.
Yeah, i agree with this, i think they have to focus on systemic gameplay as much as posible to fill this open worlds.
I mean, sucker punch always keeps you engaged with combat and traversal and some story context, they don't need too much "content" to keep you exploring their worlds, they might as well milk their combat and traversal know how as much as possible and focus on sandboxes as systemic as posible.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Did you take this picture with your 3DS?
Nah, i just uploaded “small” to not post a 4k image here. 😂

Be happy that i share with you guys 😡

Also I want to avoid you guys seeing me doing my Ahego face in the reflection. Brap would just start stalking me.

roach was a bitch to control, fuck him :ROFLMAO:

let's see how nobu is gonna turn out.

strangely enough i didn't find a single word about horse riding in any review.
Horse controls are aweosme, proably the best i have ever seen.

No karma system but being told to no act like a ghost feels kinda cheap...damn.
What are you talking about?

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned

"but if you own only a base PS4 like yours truly, you’re better off avoiding the game. Much like most other console games these days, the base PlayStation 4 version suffers heavily from its older hardware; frames are dropped all over the place and loading times are borderline unbearable. If you’ve got a PS4 Pro, though, have at it. The game will run at a stable 30 fps which, while not ideal, is still better than the jittery mess that is the base PS4 version."

Keihart

What are you talking about?
One of the reviews talked about it, no more karma system, so no real implications in the story development because of your playing style.

"but if you own only a base PS4 like yours truly, you’re better off avoiding the game. Much like most other console games these days, the base PlayStation 4 version suffers heavily from its older hardware; frames are dropped all over the place and loading times are borderline unbearable. If you’ve got a PS4 Pro, though, have at it. The game will run at a stable 30 fps which, while not ideal, is still better than the jittery mess that is the base PS4 version."
I don't buy this, has any other first party game ever run bad in PS4? in can only recall The Order maybe and...Days Gone? which was an Unreal Engine game so it makes sense...
TLoU2 runs almost flawlessly and Infamous had variable frame rate but pretty stable most of the time...

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
One of the reviews talked about it, no more karma system, so no real implications in the story development because of your playing style.

I don't buy this, has any other first party game ever run bad in PS4? in can only recall The Order maybe and...Days Gone? which was an Unreal Engine game so it makes sense...
TLoU2 runs almost flawlessly and Infamous had variable frame rate but pretty stable most of the time...
Don’t know. It’s weird. First I’m hearing about major issues. Digital foundry are doing a video comparison tomorrow

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

I do not believe a word of this. I'm not some anal PC gamer.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Do we know if we can change the difficulty mid game?

I like a challenge but I also have limited time to game and want to get this game done within 5 days as I have some time off work.

I intend to start the game on hard but if it's taking me too long to get through can I bump it down to normal torwards the end or would I have to restart the whole game?
Fantastic question. I'd like to know too
I'd hope so. Evidently some of the standoffs are extremely difficult even on normal.
You can change the difficulty at any time.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Interesting. Not one single other review I’ve watched mentions this or how it runs on each hardware.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Are the ?’s on the map right there from the get go or do you need to find maps, talk to NPCs etc to make them appear (similar to something like Far Cry 5)?
From my understanding the Map Locations show up when NPCs point you to a point of interest.
I believe the ? show up when exploring the world, but the player is too far away to discover it. I may be wrong though and its all an NPC thing. (I only have very few ? atm)
The default map shows no locations at all and is „fogged“/needs to be uncovered.

Last edited:

sol_bad

The mysteries of the internet abound! Seems like all people who leak footage are just absolutely abhorrent at said game they’re leaking...it’s like an unwritten rule; you can only obtain a game early and leak footage if you suck at playing it.

I think the combat certainly has way more depth and Nuance to it than previously thought. It seems like it strikes a good balance between something like Nioh and Assassin’s Creed; something between skill and spectacle.

Yeah, I like all the stance stuff that I am hearing about and how all the enemies have a lot of variety. Like there are swordsmen but there and 3-5 different types of swordsmen that act differently.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Yeah, I like all the stance stuff that I am hearing about and how all the enemies have a lot of variety. Like there are swordsmen but there and 3-5 different types of swordsmen that act differently.
So far i have encountered:
Mongol Sword
Mongol DualSword
Mongol Spear
Mongol Shield + Sword
Mongol Brute with Club
Mongol Brute with Large shield
Mongol Archer
Mongol on Horse with Sword
Mongol Leader with Sword&Shield
Bandit with Katana
Samurai with Katana
Dogs
Bear
Boars

Last edited:

Moriah20

On Pro it runs butter smooth in Resolution Mode. Not one single dip.

..yet the brief framerate test in the DF video showed 26-27 fps sustained during a combat scene. So it certainly is not "buttery smooth" (describing 30 fps as such is fucking insane anyway) and does have drops. If it didn't, they wouldn't have included a performance mode, I don't think

Kamina

Golden Boy
..yet the brief framerate test in the DF video showed 26-27 fps sustained during a combat scene. So it certainly is not "buttery smooth" (describing 30 fps as such is fucking insane anyway) and does have drops. If it didn't, they wouldn't have included a performance mode, I don't think
Dont know which areas they tested. But i have been on it for hours now and didnt notice any dips.
The existence of a Performance mode has noting to do with „bad performance“ in a resolution mode. Its just an option.

Actually, The Order 1886 had one of the most stable 30 ftg ever, having very very few occasion of a single frame loss exclusively during cutscenes. For an example of suboptimal framerate in a Sony producer game, I would rather look at Until Dawn

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, I pulled the trigger on Amazon. I'm in at launch.

What sealed the deal for me was the Japanese localization. I really wanted to play this in Japanese, but was concerned by a screenshot of the main menu that got floated a while back with some sketchy Japanese localization (looking possibly machine translated). After seeing some screenshots on 4Gamer and reading impressions from Japanese media, it looks like Sony did a stellar job (which I assumed they would).

WellSheet

The real world looks a bit dull and ordinary in comparison to me!

Glad I can spend the next week in this...

That’s my feelings too!

that’s the best part about games this generation - weather open world games can be rote or not - it’s nice to see these really beautiful and expansive open worlds to exist in.

Obviously one can argue which worlds were done well, but Tsushima looks to be up there with the best of them in terms of exploration and just pure beauty.

Bryank75

Banned
That’s my feelings too!

that’s the best part about games this generation - weather open world games can be rote or not - it’s nice to see these really beautiful and expansive open worlds to exist in.

Obviously one can argue which worlds were done well, but Tsushima looks to be up there with the best of them in terms of exploration and just pure beauty.
Yes, I'm really glad we got away from the grays and browns of 7th gen. It's clear that devs have learned a lot from BOTW and Red Dead (first game) and others...

It's not enough in an open world game to just fight and fight and...fight. There have to be varied and interesting activities and sights, things that stimulate your curiosity, interest and inspire you to invest in the world etc.

I love that I will be taking pictures, playing music and creating haiku's and loads of other stuff.... like the hot springs.

I actually feed foxes every night in real life, so I am excited to let the foxes lead me and pet them in this too.

WellSheet

Yes, I'm really glad we got away from the grays and browns of 7th gen. It's clear that devs have learned a lot from BOTW and Red Dead (first game) and others...

It's not enough in an open world game to just fight and fight and...fight. There have to be varied and interesting activities and sights, things that stimulate your curiosity, interest and inspire you to invest in the world etc.

I love that I will be taking pictures, playing music and creating haiku's and loads of other stuff.... like the hot springs.

I actually feed foxes every night in real life, so I am excited to let the foxes lead me and pet them in this too.

That’s awesome! That’s gunna make the Inari Shrine Activities that much cooler for you.

I’m excited in general we’re getting an open world that seems to find a way to make exploration so rewarding.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Oh shit, I hadn't paid any attention to Famitsu in ages, but they totally revamped their site to actually have relevant content. Looks like they're doing long-form (well, for them) reviews now, too.

DavidGzz

Anyone know if games unlock on PSN even if you're offline? I have to pack up and take my PS4 to work before it unlocks by about 2 hours. If worse comes to worse I can connect to a hotspot to validate my purchase, I just hope there isn't a last second patch since I have limited data...

thelastword

Banned

For a publication people make fun of, they have only given 27 perfect scores and they have been reviewing games for a while, lets be clear. I'd say that's pretty commendable. Also, only three Western games receiving a perfect score from them. putting Tsushima In the same league as Skyrim and GTA. Must say Famitsu seems really impressed...

A Western company making a Japanese game and the Japanese are wholly impressed. So this is no Tom Cruise type of reception here. The game looks amazing. After I play I really wish to se some of the pro guys play Tsushima. At this point, I think a perfect Famitsu score would go nice with Final Fantasy type sales in Japan. I hope Tsushima sells a tonne.

ToadMan

Well based on history mongol win in Tsushima but they lose when try invade main Japan, I can see sequel takes place in Japan itself.

Not to mention that this game uses 1274 as the backdrop time period but the Mongols swept through Tsushima for another attempt in 1281.

But this game is clearly not a historical reenactment so I don’t think it’s critical, but there’s clearly enough history to explore in direct sequels if SP want.

ToadMan

I much prefer Sekiro's take. Pure bliss - no stance B.S. When you think about stances, it's just a different animation set with different slider presets for dmg, defense etc. There is beauty in the simplicity of Sekiro's combat in this regard. We'll see soon enough whether it's materially different to Nioh (the design principle) and whether it's worth the implementation.

Sekiro has the prosthetics instead which fill a similar purpose to stances from a gameplay perspective. Choose the right prosthetic for the job or the combat is more difficult.

Top Bottom