• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Recon: Breakpoint coming officially on October 4th

Mista

Banned

Ubisoft has announced Ghost Recon: Breakpoint for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC. It will launch on October 4.

Here is an overview of the game, via its official website:
■ World and Story

Welcome to Auroa

Somewhere in the South Pacific lies the remote Auroa Archipelago, a vast land of diverse biomes that range from lush rainforests to snowy peaks. Now, it’s home to Skell Technology, an enigmatic technology giant. Initially interested in a remote testing site for its autonomous drones, the Silicon Valley company eventually turned Auroa into its “World 2.0,” a high-tech, high-security utopia of sustainable eco-cities and robotics research.

Seamless Open-World Co-Op

Explore a diverse and mysterious open world ranging from barren deserts and dramatic fjords to futurist cities and arctic peaks. Featuring 11 unique biomes and home to Skell Technologies this remote Archipelago will challenge the Ghosts like never before. Use the environment to you advantage as you disappear into a jungle canopy to evade your foes or jump into a vehicle and charge into battle by air, land and sea. A seamless co-op experience means your squadmates can jump in and out at any time.

Fight Your Brothers In Arms Turned Rogue

Face your deadliest enemy yet, The Wolves, former Ghosts who have betrayed their country. Led by the charismatic Colonel Cole D. Walker they have taken control of Auroa for an unknown purpose. Now in control of Auroa’s powerful drone technology The Wolves and their allies will hunt you mercilessly across Auroa.

■ Game Details

Military Survival

Experience life as a Ghost, an elite US Special Operations soldier, as you fight back from behind enemy lines on the toughest mission of your career.

• Injury System – Now when your Ghost takes damage they may also become injured. These injuries will slow you down and reduce your combat effectiveness requiring additional time and resources to heal your Ghost back up to peak fighting condition.
  • Terrain and Stamina – Traversing the world of Auroa will push your Ghost to their limits. Steep slopes will make you slip and fall, traversing water will slow you down, and snow will plow in your wake. Properly managing your stamina will be essential to surviving and fighting back.
  • The Bivouac – Trapped behind enemy lines The Bivouac is a temporary camp where you and your fellow Ghosts will rest and prepare for the next mission. Clean your weapons, change classes, craft items, upgrade gear, and more then select desired time of day and weather before venturing back out.
  • Buddy Carry – Leave no man behind. When an ally is down and needs help instead of giving medical attention in the middle of a firefight you can quickly sling them over your shoulder and move to safety to get them back on their feet.
Stealth

Use all your training and skills to infiltrate or evade your enemies as they hunt you without mercy.

• Prone Blending – As a Ghost you can disappear into your environment making you nearly invisible to your enemies. Use this feature to setup an ambush or avoid detection when cover is not available.
  • Advanced Enemy AI – The Wolves and their allies are experienced elite soldiers and will communicate amongst themselves to hunt you down if detected. With a wide variety of AI archetypes and behaviors no two encounters will be the same.
  • Adaptive Cover – An innovative cover system will automatically adapt your Ghost’s body position to match available cover and execute advanced tactics such as leaning to aim around corners.
Customize Your Ghost

Create a unique Ghost to look and play your way. With multiple classes and deep systems featuring thousands of options for both functional and cosmetic customization no two Ghosts will look and play the same. Weapons, gear, and equipment are craftable, customizable, and upgradeable using items and resources you’ll find across Auroa.

■ Game Modes and Progression

A Full Featured Game

The world of Auroa can be explored either solo or along side friends with Ghost Recon’s best in class seamless jump in jump out co-op. There are no restrictions on when teammates can join you and all progression is maintained across the squad.

Take on the Wolves in the main story or explore Auroa together to complete the many diverse side activities the open world has to offer.

Ghost Recon: Breakpoint will also feature competitive PvP multiplayer where your squad can test their skill against other Ghosts in short high-action game modes.

Common Progression

In Ghost Recon: Breakpoint your unique Ghost will be your persistent character across all game modes and activities. Whether you are playing in solo, co-op, or multiplayer everything you accomplish or earn will contribute to your character’s progression. All functional and cosmetic customization carries over allowing you to play your way.

Raids, Endgame, and Post-Launch

Day one is only the beginning for Ghost Recon: Breakpoint. Every four months new seasonal post-launch content will be added to the game including new story content, special events, new weapons, gear, and equipment, new challenging game modes and missions, and for the first time ever in the Ghost Recon franchise – Raids.

Upgrade to the Gold, Ultimate or Collector’s Edition for the Year 1 Season Pass and get the most our of Ghost Recon: Breakpoint.

■ Pre-Order Bonus

Players who pre-order any edition of the game will get access to the Beta, giving them an early chance to explore the Auroa Archipelago and test their survival skills in a high-tech utopia-turned- hunting ground.

Pre-ordering Ghost Recon Breakpoint will also unlock the Sentinel Corp. Pack at launch, which gives you an early edge with three in-game exclusive items: the Valor assault rifle, the Sentinel Mk. 2 Assault set, and the Hammer Mk. 2 digital vehicle.

■ Game Editions

Ghost Recon: Breakpoint is available in Standard, Gold, and Ultimate Editions, with the Gold and Ultimate Editions granting three-day early access starting October 1, 2019. Here’s a look at what’s included in each edition:

Standard Edition

• Ghost Recon: Breakpoint base game
  • Guaranteed access to the Beta
Gold Edition

• Three-day early access beginning October 1, 2019
  • The Year 1 Pass, which includes two new adventures in Auroa, called Deep State and Transcendence; Siren’s Call, an additional mission available at launch; one-week early access to three new character classes, which will be released throughout the year; and the Special Operations Forces Pack, which includes the Quiet DMR, Covered ACH, Crye G3 Combat Pants, and Cross Draw Vest.
Ultimate Edition

• The Year 1 Pass, which includes two new adventures in Auroa, Deep State and Transcendence; Siren’s Call, an additional mission available at launch; one-week early access to three new character classes, which will be released throughout the year; and the Special Operations Forces Pack, which includes the Quiet DMR, Covered ACH, Crye G3 Combat Pants, and Cross Draw Vest
  • A bonus mission
  • Additional in-game items including the Trail TX motorbike, the Spider buggy, and the Survivor Pack
Wolves Collector’s Edition

The Wolves Collector’s Edition is a Ubisoft Store-exclusive available in limited quantities that includes additional in-game content as well as several high-end physical items.

• The Year 1 Pass, which includes two new adventures in Auroa, Deep State and Transcendence; Siren’s Call, an additional mission available at launch; one-week early access to three new character classes, which will be released throughout the year; and the Special Operations Forces Pack, which includes the Quiet DMR, Covered ACH, Crye G3 Combat Pants, and Cross Draw Vest.
  • A bonus mission
  • Additional in-game items including the Trail TX motorbike, the Spider buggy, and the Survivor Pack
  • Exclusive Steelbook
  • Soundtrack with a selection of music from the game
  • Confidential File with three lithographs
  • Cole D. Walker figurine (24 cm. high)
  • Walker’s Dog Tag
  • Waterproof map

Jaxx_377

Neo Member
Looks good! One of the biggest regrets I have this Gen is only getting about 10 hours into Wildlands. I guess I should hold off on this until I finish it. This Generation has almost completely passed me by

Evilms

Banned
Ghost-Recon-Breakpoint_2019_05-09-19_002.jpg

Ghost-Recon-Breakpoint_2019_05-09-19_001.jpg

Ghost-Recon-Breakpoint_2019_05-09-19_003.jpg

Ghost-Recon-Breakpoint_2019_05-09-19_004.jpg

Ghost-Recon-Breakpoint_2019_05-09-19_005.jpg

Ghost-Recon-Breakpoint_2019_05-09-19_006.jpg

Ghost-Recon-Breakpoint_2019_05-09-19_007.jpg

Verdanth

Oh shit the frank castle out of nowhere got me hyped.

Plus batmobiles.

Consider me interested. Need some gameplay.

Last edited:

Zoanoid33

Completely hoping they would improve the pvp from wildlands but unfortunately it is going to be 4v4 again. Been dying for a 8v8 or more tactical TPS like the old Socom series but alas I must wait longer. Co-op looks fun tho.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Goddamn it... It is Epic Store exclusive. Guess I'll just buy it on Uplay then... Fuck that sucks. I own the WHOLE series on Steam and it was so easy to find people to Co-op with on the Steam forums. Shitballs.

Last edited:

Verdanth

Watched the gameplay. Looked super good, but also super scripted.

Need to see some actual real footage to judge.

But from the looks of it, it has many of the mechanics I wished Division 2 had.

Pejo

Waiiiittttt..................Is this gonna be an Epic Store Exclusive again like Division 2?
God dammit, really? Fucking Epic Store.

You should still be able to get it through Uplay though, directly, right?

That aside, I'm sure there's some bullshottery going on here but it looks fantastic. I love the setting, gameplay additions sound neat. I'll be there day 1 provided I can skip Epic Store. If not, no sale.

II_JumPeR_I

This looks like DLC for wildlands instead of a new game..

And some of the new mechanics are just there to make the game slower and more tedious. Im right now playing Wildlands, almost done with everything and man is that game boring and repetitive. The pointless big ass map doesnt help either.
And now adding annoying survival mechanics like eating and drinking... yikes.

Another Ubi skip for me. Just looks more of the same. Wildlands 1.5/DLC instead of a new game. Skipped Odyssey too because of the same reasons...

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Goddamn it... It is Epic Store exclusive. Guess I'll just buy it on Uplay then... Fuck that sucks. I own the WHOLE series on Steam and it was so easy to find people to Co-op with on the Steam forums. Shitballs.
I just have to assume that all future Ubisoft games are Uplay / Epic Game Store exclusive. Which is why I don't buy their games on PC any more.

Mista

Banned
Yes i know but if the game Is designed for the co op so Is not the same thing...but Is only my opinion
I played Wildlands solo as much as I played it co-op. Yes of course co-op is more fun but believe me, I had a blast while playing solo to. Also, there’re plenty of people here that will end up getting it so I’m sure you’ll find someone to play with

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
If it's anything like Wildlands, it's more than playable Solo. I imagine it's better than that, so I wouldn't worry.
In solo you no longer have ai team members. You are by yourself.

Anyways, Day 1 on EGS for me :D.

Last edited:

Braldryr

Banned
This looks like DLC for wildlands instead of a new game..

And some of the new mechanics are just there to make the game slower and more tedious. Im right now playing Wildlands, almost done with everything and man is that game boring and repetitive. The pointless big ass map doesnt help either.
And now adding annoying survival mechanics like eating and drinking... yikes.

Another Ubi skip for me. Just looks more of the same. Wildlands 1.5/DLC instead of a new game. Skipped Odyssey too because of the same reasons...

lol skipped Odyssey because of same reasons? LMAO. Odyssey is a far bigger and different game than Origins and this is coming from someone who played every single AC game since 2007 and 100% every title. You are missing out man Odyssey is a great game. Don't have to buy it at least rent it or give it a shot somehow.

I'll reserve judgement but this is adding the one thing Ghost Recon needs less of, fucking drones. The last thing GR should do is start flirting with future tech again. Hell, I'd rather see them move backwards and have something set in the 90's (gulf?), 80's (cold war ops or fictitious setting where USA actually went to war with USSR), etc.

II_JumPeR_I

lol skipped Odyssey because of same reasons? LMAO. Odyssey is a far bigger and different game than Origins and this is coming from someone who played every single AC game since 2007 and 100% every title. You are missing out man Odyssey is a great game. Don't have to buy it at least rent it or give it a shot somehow.
Whats lol?
Odyssey is the same shit as Origins only in green and with a even more bigger map. I havent missed anything. Keep your "lol" and "lmao" bullshit

Im glad that you love getting ripped off by publishers who sell DLC as a new game. Ubisoft is doing that a lot recently... not my faultif you havent noticed that yet..

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Whats lol?
Odyssey is the same shit as Origins only in green and with a even more bigger map. I havent missed anything. Keep your "lol" and "lmao" bullshit

Im glad that you love getting ripped off by publishers who sell DLC as a new game. Ubisoft is doing that a lot recently... not my faultif you havent noticed that yet..

I mean...it seems like your minds made up so there's not much point in trying to convince you, but Odyssey was no simple cash grab and not just Origins 1.5 by any stretch. But you do you boo boo.

Still have to get around to trying Wildlands, which I got free with Division 2. But the trailer caught my attention.

Are all these Ubisoft games EGS timed exclusives or permanent?

I think with Ubisoft it's a safe presumption that it's timed. Outside of licensed stuff, nothing I can think of has been permanent?

Why can't GR go back to it's roots as a tactical hardcore multiplayer FPS?

Probably because no one was buying it. My brother-in-law bitches about this all the time but...

Has the TC video game brand ever been more successful than it is right now?

Last edited:

Rawker

Hard to say, the industry as a whole has grown exponentially but it had what 3 expansions back in the day? Pretty sure it was very successful.

Braldryr

Banned
Whats lol?

I actually work for the industry my friend and the copy of odyssey was free. And it's far from a DLC lol. The game is far bigger, more in depth RPG and better story and a lot of new mechanics as well.

Keep my lols lmao? Someone did not get many hugs I guess from their mommy when they were younger. Why so angry? Control yourself, dont make yourself look like a complete fool.

I will agree though, wildlands was a shit game. But this looks much better imo.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Whats lol?

Odyssey is bigger, but with worse characters, story, and they completely shit on the historical setting. It is like they didn't even try (especially when you compare it to Origins).

Braldryr

Banned
Odyssey is bigger, but with worse characters, story, and they completely shit on the historical setting. It is like they didn't even try (especially when you compare it to Origins).

I enjoyed the characters way more in Odyssey than in Origins and as well as the story but that's all subjective. As too how they shit on the historical setting I am not quite sure, but it was one of my favorite games played of 2018 and one of my top Assassin's Creed games.

HE1NZ

Banned
I wonder if it counts as one of the 3-4 AAA titles they promised for this fiscal year. Doesn't look like much of an AAA title.

Paasei

Seems like one of those games you can play solo, but is actually made for coop. If you can't play this in coop you will miss out on a lot of fun. A bummer for me, as I don't have any friends that care about games like this and only play CS:GO, rofl. Idiots....

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I enjoyed the characters way more in Odyssey than in Origins and as well as the story but that's all subjective. As too how they shit on the historical setting I am not quite sure, but it was one of my favorite games played of 2018 and one of my top Assassin's Creed games.

For some general issues I have from my original playthrough and the blatant inaccuracies that even the most basic of historian would not have made - they are in spoilers down below. Odd that they would get *so* much wrong when they supposedly hired multiple historians to help make things "accurate".

• The Aspasia was known as a "hataera", an ancient Greek courtesan or concubine, especially one of a special class of cultivated female companions. They were also a metic, a foreign resident of Athens, one who did not have citizen rights in their Greek city-state of residence.
    • Being what she was, she was free of the legal constraints that normally bound women to their homes in Ancient Athens. Therefore she was able to interact in social gatherings that were normally forbidden for most Athenian women.
  • The vast majority of women were not frontline fighters, rarely would there ever be a women in a skirmish situation. Their roles were to raise children and tend to the household.
  • The Greek World was not as "diverse" as is portrayed in the game. Indo-europeans brought in the language. The Greek people were and still are a mix of those indo-european migrations and older indigenous groups (that were still fair of skin). The Pelasgians were most likely the original indigenous group in the area. They didn't have darker skin tone like Dravidian people found in the southern and eastern ends of Africa.
    • Due to climatological sciences, we know that since the end of the ice age the Mediterraneans did not have high UV levels that would introduce evolutionary pressure to increase melanin levels within the Pelasgians. (A Eruopean Population in Minoan Bronze Age Crete, look it up via Scholar.Google).
  • Spartans were ancient Eugensists who killed any who they thought were "weak". They made clear demarcations between themselves and the other greeks. They did not give them citizenship or equal rights.
  • Ancient Greece had clear issues with race.
    • Xenophanes - "Our gods have flat noses and black skins, say the ethiopians. The Thracians say our gods have red hair and hazel eyes."
    • Aethiopia literally means "The Land of Burnt Faces"
    • Greece once had a huge Empire and ruled over multiple other groups. This lead to those groups speaking Greek - however that does not mean that they were anymore ethnically greek just as Japanese who speak English are British.
    • Hippocrates himself had believed that climate, geography, and location lead to the physical and mental characteristics of people:
      • "Concerning the listlessness and the cowardice of peoples, the seasons are especially the cause why asians are less martial than the europeans and more tame in their character, for making no dramatic shift either to the hot nor to the cold, their seasons are temperate." | "For there are no mental disturbances nor strong change of the body, from which it is more likely that the passion is roused and indulges the senseless and high-spirited rather than when it is in a steady state." | "For it is change of everything which wakes the disposition of men and does not allow it to rest." | " For these aforesaid reasons it seems to me that the asian race is weak and yet further so because of their customs. For much of asia is ruled by a king." | "And where men do not rule themselves nor are autonomous but are ruled by a despot, there is no reason for them to concern themselves over this. So when they do not practice the military disciplines, but they work to seem pacifistic."
    • Sparta had the Xenelasia - expelling foreigners who were deemed injurious to the city-state.
  • Homosexuality and Pederasty *DID* exist, but it is greatly debated by the extent of which it occured.
    • Pederasty was the relationship between an Erastes (Adult Male) and an Eromenos (Younger Male), usually in their teens. However, this was believed to be more of a Mentor/Mentee relationship, not one that was inherently sexual. It also was only allowed for Citizens as any non-citizens could not engage in pederastic relationships. All surviving artwork involving pederasty does not show any sexual relationships between the Erastes and Eromenos.
    • Aristophanes wrote the famous Greek play: Lysistrata. This involves a ploy by Athenian women to stop having sex with their men so they would stop waging war with Sparta. If most greek men could gain sexual release through other means, this ploy would not have worked, but it did.
    • Greek Homosexuality by K.J. Dover explains better than I can in his book. He notes that there are 600 "homosexual" relations depicted out of nearly 80,000 known Greek vases. That is not great evidence to show a prevalent homosexual nature within Greek culture.
    • Xenophon: "Lycurgus adopted a system opposed to all of these alike. Given that someone, himself being all that a man ought to be, should in admiration off a boy's soul endeavor to discover in him a true friend without reproach, and to consort with him - this was a relationship which Lycurgus commended, and indeed regarded as the noblest type of bringing up." | "But if, as was evident, it was not an attachment to the soul, but a yearning merely towards the body, he stamped this thing as foul and horrible; And with this result, to the credit of Lycurgus be it said, that in lacedaemon the relationship of lover and beloved is like that of parent and child or brother and brother where carnal appetite is in abeyance."
    • Sparta also had very different words for Erastes and Eromenos.
      • Eispnelas, meaning inspirer.
      • Aites, meaning listener.
    • Grown men would not have had engaged in open homosexual relationships. One character: Alkibiades is shown as an unrelenting figure in the game's homosexual relationships. While history does show he was an active bisexual, it is suggested that he suffers from psychopathy. He was a self-serving and treacherous individual.
  • Greek Men and Women (Promiscuity) is not at all as it is portrayed in the game.
    • There were laws that prevented men from seducing noble women who were under the protection of a kyrios. However, men were able to sleep with slaves and prostitutes despite being married - but noble women were not one of those. If caught, they would be executed by the Kyrios without trial.
    • Women were able to have sex with specific men as designated by the Kyrios in order to produce a stronger offspring, however they were *not* allowed to sleep with whomever they wanted.
The Greek world was consumed by gender and race. This is shown through the various accounts of ancient Greeks and the physical history we have of that ancient civilization.

Paradicia

Is it me or does it seem like Ubisoft have a habit of cannibalizing their titles by introducing the same tropes into each iteration of yearly releases? They have so many big name brands that they're constantly swapping and changing mechanics in favour of the next shiny thing. It's getting to the point where games are so similar that the only thing that separates it from the other is the name.

Top Bottom