• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Song Kickstarter - Metroid meets Dark Souls - GAFer made - funded!

Man, so close to 45k now. C'mon, ya dirty WiiU scum, put yer bounty where ye beards be. Yarr..

If the support isn't there from the Wii U owners that'd be interested in this, then it's not there unfortunately. Can't fund a game on lip service from fairweather supporters.

Here's hoping Ghost Song meets success once it's released. I'll be telling Mr. Boyes over at Sony to keep an eye on this one. ;)

TDLink

If the support isn't there from the Wii U owners that'd be interested in this, then it's not there unfortunately. Can't fund a game on lip service from fairweather supporters.

Here's hoping Ghost Song meets success once it's released. I'll be telling Mr. Boyes over at Sony to keep an eye on this one. ;)

Every friend I know who owns a Wii U has backed this. Every friend I know who liked Super Metroid has backed this. I think the main problem is most people just don't know about this kickstarter. The word needs to get out wider somehow and I'm not really sure how that will happen with the time remaining, but I hope it does.

Looking forward to this game a ton.

Every friend I know who owns a Wii U has backed this. Every friend I know who liked Super Metroid has backed this. I think the main problem is most people just don't know about this kickstarter. The word needs to get out wider somehow and I'm not really sure how that will happen with the time remaining, but I hope it does.

Looking forward to this game a ton.

Problem is that unless you and your WiiU-owning friends, along with their friends in the same vein, all put up a sizable chuck of cash each, it's hard to bridge 10k+ gaps with so little time left.

I guess my only suggestion would be to leverage the $1000 & $2000 backer rewards offered to galvanize a particular community's support-- though if all slots were taken that would still only nab $12,000 of the needed $15k.

What I mean by leverage the rewards is this: For $2000 a backer gets to be a mini-boss in the game. You get 80 people from an established community-- GAF for example-- to each pledge $25 (the "Music Tier"), but ask the Dev to pool the amount from those individuals towards a $2000 "Dream Tier" unlock. If your "team" reaches it, vote on some design or idea submission on what that mini-boss could look like-- but still something very "GAF" like. There. You just raised an additional $2000 for this game and got your community immortalized in it in the process. This has been done before on previous KS I've backed to great effect.

Again, time is really your enemy on this one. But I've seen crazier things happen.

TDLink

Problem is that unless you and your WiiU-owning friends, along with their friends in the same vein, all put up a sizable chuck of cash each, it's hard to bridge 10k+ gaps with so little time left.

I guess my only suggestion would be to leverage the $1000 & $2000 backer rewards offered to galvanize a particular community's support-- though if all slots were taken that would still only nab $12,000 of the needed $15k.

What I mean by leverage the rewards is this: For $2000 a backer gets to be a mini-boss in the game. You get 80 people from an established community-- GAF for example-- to each pledge $25 (the "Music Tier"), but ask the Dev to pool the amount from those individuals towards a $2000 "Dream Tier" unlock. If your "team" reaches it, vote on some design or idea submission on what that mini-boss could look like-- but still something very "GAF" like. There. You just raised an additional $2000 for this game and got your community immortalized in it in the process. This has been done before on previous KS I've backed to great effect.

Again, time is really your enemy on this one. But I've seen crazier things happen.

Kickstarters have raised far more than 15k in the final day, especially for quality projects like this. Those ideas are all pretty good (although up to Jobbs since they require a bit of creative sacrifice) but I still think the main issue is that most people who would be interested in this probably just haven't heard of it.

With my anecdote I wasn't saying that I have a ton of friends who own a Wii U or like Super Metroid but simply that most people who fall into those categories probably have no idea it even exists. If there was some way the word could spread further and have them become informed I am positive a huge uptake in backers would occur.

EDIT: Maybe it would help a little if a mod could edit the title to indicate that the final stretch goal is to get the game on Wii U. That can possibly invigorate some people around here.

Man, so close to 45k now. C'mon, ya dirty WiiU scum, put yer bounty where ye beards be. Yarr.

.... I'm sorry.

It's just, between this and the not-Megaman thread I've read far too many "would back if for platform X" or "will only back if it reaches the _____ stretchgoal", which is self-defeating, really. Boils my blood every time.

Oh well. Only 15k to go, with roughly one day remaining. Still seems doable. Ridiculous, considering the initial goal was 15k itself. Heh.
Well I'm want a Wii U version, I only backed it in the hopes of a Wii U version, its getting really close so I'm holding out hope. That said as I have no interest at all playing this on a PC, if it doesn't look like the Wii U goal is going to be met I will be backing out, it looks like a great game and its already going to get made but I don't see the point to supporting it if it doesn't get made for a system I'll play it on.

disap.ed

Well I'm want a Wii U version, I only backed it in the hopes of a Wii U version, its getting really close so I'm holding out hope. That said as I have no interest at all playing this on a PC, if it doesn't look like the Wii U goal is going to be met I will be backing out, it looks like a great game and its already going to get made but I don't see the point to supporting it if it doesn't get made for a system I'll play it on.

I understand your pov and I also have no interest to play this on the PC, but I won't back out because 10$ won't kill me and I can still hope for a WiiU version regardless of the outcome of this campaign.

Clott

I think it's implied that jobbs will try to make a WiiU version if we come close enough, but he is unwilling to make promises in order to avoid a conflict. If production goes smooth it's only in his best interest to get it onto the consoles, and being that the unity license is free on the WiiU it will end up there eventually. But I think withholding funds for the project will only make things take longer.

CTLance

13 hours remaining, 13k still missing.

Eyz7bt4.gif

Cmoooooooooon. Keep at it. So close...

Fireblend

Banned
Maybe a reddit submission to one of the game related subreddits could help push things over for the WiiU stretch goal.

I already posted one to /r/indiegaming, and someone else posted to /r/wiiu, if I'm not mistaken. We could try /r/gaming but it's most likely going to be downvoted to oblivion.

Do you need an account? or can you post as anonymous. Speaking of anonymous I can make a thread on /v/.
Well, worst case scenario they shit up the comments section. I say do it.

Jobbs

Banned
I think it's implied that jobbs will try to make a WiiU version if we come close enough, but he is unwilling to make promises in order to avoid a conflict. If production goes smooth it's only in his best interest to get it onto the consoles, and being that the unity license is free on the WiiU it will end up there eventually. But I think withholding funds for the project will only make things take longer.

pretty much this. naturally it's an aspiration of mine to get on consoles. this type of game? of course it is. And Wii U is currently the most painless one to port to.

El Sloth

Banned
I did you fellas a favor and posted this over at /r/games (a much better place than /r/gaming, content-wise, if you ask me).

I don't have a WiiU or am looking to get one anytime soon, but I figured I'd help out anyways.

Raitaro

Wow, Kickstarter is getting a lot of my money this month.

Still, I couldn't resist backing this awesome looking game for 15 bucks. Hope we make it to the Wii U tier.

Fireblend

Banned
I did you fellas a favor and posted this over at /r/games (a much better place than /r/gaming, content-wise, if you ask me).

I don't have a WiiU or am looking to get one anytime soon, but I figured I'd help out anyways.

I upvoted, but /r/games is much more for discussion than for this kind of publicity-ish news, that's precisely why I posted to /r/gaming instead. Hopefully if we push the upvotes, it will get some attention though :D

CTLance

I've given all submissions linked above an upvote as well. I doubt we can push this above the rest, but whatever. Worth a try. If even one redditor stumbles upon this and pledges we have done good.

I'm working right now...but damn this looks good, I will have to kick in some money for it later when I get home for sure.

Edit: threw money at kickstarter...can't wait for this to come out :D

El Sloth

Banned
I upvoted, but /r/games is much more for discussion than for this kind of publicity-ish news, that's precisely why I posted to /r/gaming instead. Hopefully if we push the upvotes, it will get some attention though :D
True, but its not like final 48 hour kickstarter submissions are discouraged there. I think something like this is fine.

End of the day I will pay for this game one way, at this stage its looking like that'll be when it comes to Wii U. I've backed this project ever since the Wii U stretch goal was announced, my main want was for a Wii U version and I backed it for the Wii U version.

Jobbs

Banned
your guys efforts are really touching, I appreciate that. :)

Whenever a story ends up somewhere there always seems to be that commenter who says something like -- Oh, Nintendo's gonna shut this down.

It's not that I have thin skin, but hearing this once per story (give or take) is getting old. Has anyone else noticed that every game is a copy of something else? Just look at COD and the sights scope stuff and Gears cover system and just the idea of FPS or platformer in general. If a general resemblance to another game meant you could be sued, well, everyone could be sued. What about every Beatem up (back when that was a thing) being almost identical down to the smallest details of how the game looks and feels? And, even though I gladly give Mr. Inafune a pass, MN9 resembles Mega Man, a property he does not own, *far* more than my game resembles Metroid. And he's perfectly within his rights to do this.

As I said, I think it's actually novel making something similar to Metroid, because it's almost never done. :)

molnizzle

your guys efforts are really touching, I appreciate that. :)

Whenever a story ends up somewhere there always seems to be that commenter who says something like -- Oh, Nintendo's gonna shut this down.

It's not that I have thin skin, but hearing this once per story (give or take) is getting old. Has anyone else noticed that every game is a copy of something else? Just look at COD and the sights scope stuff and Gears cover system and just the idea of FPS or platformer in general. If a general resemblance to another game meant you could be sued, well, everyone could be sued. What about every Beatem up (back when that was a thing) being almost identical down to the smallest details of how the game looks and feels? And, even though I gladly give Mr. Inafune a pass, MN9 resembles Mega Man, a property he does not own, *far* more than my game resembles Metroid. And he's perfectly within his rights to do this.

As I said, I think it's actually novel making something similar to Metroid, because it's almost never done. :)

Those people have no idea what they're talking about. Your game is similar to Metroid in genre only. Genres aren't intellectual property. You're infringing on nothing.

That said, the only hiccup I foresee see with Nintendo is the "metroidvania" labeling. You'll probably have to drop that from the eShop description. That's it though. You've created an original IP with original characters and a unique art style. Those commenters are clueless.

Jobbs

Banned
Those people have no idea what they're talking about. Your game is similar to Metroid in genre only. Genres aren't intellectual property. You're infringing on nothing.

That said, the only hiccup I can see with Nintendo might be the "Metroidvania" labeling. You'll probably have to drop that from the eShop description. That's it though. You've created an original IP with original characters and a unique art style. Those commenters are clueless.

I don't see using "metroidvania" in any official capacity. It's on the kickstarter because I noticed that is a term frequently used in places such as KS to help people understand the game.

Clott

Its jobbs that has had the contact with the media, it wouldnt hurt to email some of those guys, and ask them to tweet or post something on their sites about the ending of the campaign.

Jobbs

Banned
yeah, guys, I think $60k is a long shot but I would not fret too much about it if it does not happen. there's reason to be optimistic anyway. the game will be really solid, there'll be opportunities, I think things will turn out fine in the end with many options and possibilities in the future. you've done good.

Jobbs, I imagine you've already spoken with a Nintendo representative to even be able to promise a Wii U build as a stretch goal.

I think that if Nintendo had an issue with your game, they wouldn't be offering to let you sell it on their digital storefront. :p

I do wish people would stop talking about the legality, though. You aren't infringing on any copyrights.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
yeah, guys, I think $60k is a long shot but I would not fret too much about it if it does not happen. there's reason to be optimistic anyway. the game will be really solid, there'll be opportunities, I think things will turn out fine in the end with many options and possibilities in the future. you've done good.

We're not pushing just for the $60k, we're pushing for the funding that you truly deserve!

Jobbs

Banned
It might has been said before, but how long do think this game is going to be?

flash game was on track to be, by my best guess, a couple hours, and I want the new game to be longer. my target is 5-6 hours playthrough minimum, with much more possible if you love exploring everywhere and/or suck. If we can make it bigger and longer than that, then great, that's just my minimum target. Things are very up in the air now with the funding being so much higher than my original target. Game design, especially for indies who do it our own way, is an extremely fluid, iterative process with lots of experimentation.

I am going to completely go back to the drawing board with my map design. some aspects will be reused, some map areas and game flow, but as a whole entiy the map is being redrawn from scratch. So that "target" is really the best info I have right now as far as game length.

We're not pushing just for the $60k, we're pushing for the funding that you truly deserve!
Yeah pretty much this. We believe in you who believe in what you're creating. I'm not asking for any specifics, I just want you to be able to make this game as good as possible. So more money in your direction!

Yeah pretty much this. We believe in you who believe in what you're creating. I'm not asking for any specifics, I just want you to be able to make this game as good as possible. So more money in your direction!

. x 1000.

I don't have a PC; I've got an old MBP so I dunno if I'll be able to even play the Mac version, and I don't have a WiiU but I still backed it to get 3 copies to gift to friends because I believe in the project and watching the gameplay demo gave me the same feels I had playing the original Metroid when I was 7 years old.

JoseJX

I'm glad to see this is going so well, congrats Jobbs!

Perhaps it's too late, but maybe if there's interest in the WiiU port, bump up the donation by $5, with the idea that if it's made, you'd get a key, but otherwise it's just an extra donation?

Top Bottom