• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters III... it's REALLY happening this time

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManaByte

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117991624.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

Columbia calls up new 'Ghostbusters'
Eisenberg, Stupnitsky to write reunion film

Columbia Pictures is getting serious about scaring up a new installment of its blockbuster "Ghostbusters" franchise.

The studio has set "The Office" co-exec producers Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky to write a script for a film designed to bring back together the original cast of Harold Ramis, Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd and Ernie Hudson.

Studio would not comment on the development and has been mum on recent rumors that there was interest in making a new installment of the franchise.

The scribes just wrote "Year One," a comedy that was directed by Ramis. Ramis wrote with Aykroyd the first two installments of the films. Ivan Reitman directed both the 1984 original and the sequel that was released in 1989. The close proximity between the writers and original Ghostbusters Ramis is evidence that the ghost chasers have sparked to the idea of returning.

"Ghostbusters" was Columbia's highest grossing film ever, until it was beaten by "Men in Black" and then "Spider-Man." An attempt to make a third installment of the franchise was stymied in the dealmaking stage. Sources said that so much gross was pledged to the participants that it was next to impossible for the studio to make any money on a third installment.

No deals will be made with the original cast until the script is ready, but the gross percentage will certainly be an issue. Sony has a standing policy not to allow more than 25% of first dollar gross out the door.

The scribes, who are Emmy nominated for their work on "The Office," just set up another picture at Columbia, selling their spec script "Bad Teacher" to the studio for Jimmy Miller to produce.

Still a looooooong way from being a reality. As the article states, bringing in all the talent deals in a way that makes sense for the studio is going to be a brutal exercise.

JimiNutz

Banned
Man I absolutely loved Ghostbusters as a kid. Turtles is coming back so why the fuck not Ghostbusters. If the original team is on board then I'm all for it!

I've always liked the idea of bringing back a couple from the original cast but also creating a new crew that could be in future films. I'd actually want Vince Vaughn as the lead.

MisterHero

They NEED to have Sigourney Weaver. Peter and Dana (and Oscar too!) need a happy ending.

Also, call Rick Moranis back from retirement. He's worth it.

and maybe have sort of movie version of Extreme Ghostbusters. Despite its 'EXTREEEME' title, the show was pretty ace otherwise. :p

Dirtbag

Who cares?!

Has any high profile cult sequel lived up lately?
They're all terrible.

I hope they dont try and make some cgi, action heavy, trash riddled sequel.

It will be a disaster, hollywood figured out the money making formula, and it no longer includes my tastes in movie. :(

hokahey

DoctorWho said:
I've always liked the idea of bringing back a couple from the original cast but also creating a new crew that could be in future films. I'd actually want Vince Vaughn as the lead.

I like this idea

Blader

DoctorWho said:

Robert Downey Jr.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Does anyone really care?

Ghostbusters 2 was already a shadow of the first film. I hardly think a third film full of geriatrics this far on is going to mark a return to form or have the same effect on you as a kid even if it was half decent ...

This nostalgia crap needs to stop.

MisterHero said:
They NEED to have Sigourney Weaver. Peter and Dana (and Oscar too!) need a happy ending.

Also, call Rick Moranis back from retirement. He's worth it.

and maybe have sort of movie version of Extreme Ghostbusters. Despite its 'EXTREEEME' title, the show was pretty ace otherwise. :p
Actually as a Ghostbusters fiend..... I have to strongly disagree.

The 2nd movie was shit compared to the first one. The whole story line with Weaver and the kid was just stupid. I hope they go back to the F U Universe style they had in the first film and show a more jaded Bill Murray who is post Dana (while mentioned) but don't add dribble to the movie.

It would make sense for the story to be about the Ghostbusters re-tiring and then coming back (reluctantly) because Zuul comes back. This time though, the god has a few more tricks.

The movie could work out to be extremely cleaver, witty and kick ass if they play their cards right.

Start off as if this is the TRUE 2nd Ghostbusters movie, make nods to the characters in the 1st/2nd one (*sigh*) but forge ahead with a no-bullshit story that is a roller coaster.

The special effects now would be fantastic!

Do we know what's happening with the game yet? What with all that voice work and stuff already done, it kinda qualifies as Ghostbusters 3 already.

AniHawk

Harold Ramis aged the worst. Everyone else would be relatively fine though. And Bill Murray as Peter Venkman one last time would be fucking awesome.

HyperZone<3 said:
Do we know what's happening with the game yet? What with all that voice work and stuff already done, it kinda qualifies as Ghostbusters 3 already.

Latest news is that it's been delayed until 2009 and there still is no publisher.

Juice

So when does Harold Ramis lose the extra 200 pounds? That'd probably be harder than fitting it into his (or Akroyd's) busy schedule.

DoctorWho said:
I really hope you are joking.

Christopher

Leave it as it was....

As we've seen from movies that try to make sequels from their old movies...the 80's/early 90's just had this "feel" to them...this atmosphere that you just can not replicate anymore.

Slayven

DoctorWho said:
Google "Extreme Ghostbusters"

laserbeam

Banned
brandonh83 said:
hey they could explain Harold Ramis' present obesity with... the twinkie!
1z5n800.jpg

More like half the Stay Puft marshmellow man

laserbeam

Banned
sky said:
Wasn't there already a script kicking around a few years back?

There was a story laid out. Maybe they will use it though probably not. They kicked around the idea a fe wmonths gao that the old guys would be back to more or less bridge a new trilogy with the guys from Apatow movies.

BobLoblaw

Banned
DoctorWho said:
A genius is you. :D

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
swingers: ghostbusters edition would actually be pretty funny. vince vaughn, mike favreau, ron livingston. . . they're the right sort of guys for the job, anyway. but the movie would end in tears. my tears.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
BobLoblaw said:
A genius is you. :D

I can almost remember my casting for GBIII....

Vince, Charlie Murphy, Norm McDonald, and ????

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Blackace said:
I can almost remember my casting for GBIII....

Vince, Charlie Murphy, Norm McDonald, and ????

Man, bringing in Norm would be great. Charlie Murphy is good casting too. Maybe they could do a West Coast / East Coast Ghostbusters movies. Downey leading one team and then Vaughn on the other. Maybe the movie could be where they have to go against each other somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom