• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters III... it's REALLY happening this time

Status
Not open for further replies.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I think they are too old. Maybe they can all die in a cataclysmic error of crossing streams in a site gag filled with old-age jokes and then they are stuck in the afterlife blaming each other for the mistake will their kids chase them as the new Ghostbusters.

I love Bill, Dan, Harold, and Ernie. But all I think of is Keith Richards and others who are past their prime who just can't say goodbye to the spotlight.

The original idea of Ghostbusters was that ghosts were everywhere and there were alot of company's set up to catch them.
It was reworked to fit a smaller budget but it could work for a 3rd film.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Space A Cobra said:
As much as I'd like to see a Ghostbusters 3 I just can't help but feel that the time for a sequel has long passed.

Why don't they just do a television reunion special. I mean that's all Indy 4 ended up being.
I don't hate Indy 4
Isn't the video game supposed to be a reunion special? Speaking of the video game, Activision is three kinds of stupid for passing that up for more Crash and Spyro. :-/

Xater

B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
The original idea of Ghostbusters was that ghosts were everywhere and there were alot of company's set up to catch them.

Alright we need a rival team of Ghostbusters that are way more effective and do way less collateral damage. They get successfull but then the original Ghostbusters find out they used darkmagic/are ghosts demons themelves something like that.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i like ghostbusters 2 as well. i think it's still awesome.

"i got this from a guy. . . who got this from a guy. . . who got this. . . from joe namath. and i would appreciate it if you would not hose it."

AniHawk

Ghostbusters II was good, but just not great like the first one. A lot of it has to do with Bill Murray though.

"Hey, I'm a voter! Aren't you supposed to lie to me and kiss my butt?"

"Sometimes shit happens, someone has to deal with it, and who you gonna call?"

(To psychiatrist) "Don't look at me. I think these people are completely nuts."

"Viggy, Viggy, Viggy, you have been a bad monkey!"

I thought Egon was much improved too, if only for the one social experiment scene.

"I'd like to run some gynecological tests on the mother."

"Let's see what happens when we take away the puppy."

eXistor

VictimOfGrief said:
Ghostbusters II was one of the worst sequels in movie history---- giving sequels the usual kiss of death of sucking.
Oh come on now, it wasn't nearly as good, but it was pretty cool in its own right.

I want Ghostbusters III really bad though, I just know these guys have at least one awesome movie in them (Murray is excused, he is always awesome).

Xater said:
Alright we need a rival team of Ghostbusters that are way more effective and do way less collateral damage. They get successfull but then the original Ghostbusters find out they used darkmagic/are ghosts demons themelves something like that.

I was thinking some massive shit goes down all the other company's refuse to deal with it, the only people willing to is the Ghostbusters (Old team or new team).

20071119gb2dfav.png

B_Rik_Schitthaus said:

It was also set in space. :lol

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
I loved Ghostbusters II as a kid, but after rewatching it a couple years ago, it doesn't hold a candle to the first one. I only really laughed at when they got busted posing as Con Edison.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
It was also set in space. :lol
And the future. The Ghostbusters were supposed to be time traveling janitors that jumped around from era to era cleaning up monsters and ghosts. In that version, Stay Puff was only one of MANY giant beasts they had to battle.

Murray never wanted to do the second one because he spent the entire first movie bitching about how heavy the proton packs were. Now his stance was he'd only be in the third movie if he died in the first few minutes and got to be a ghost the rest of the film. But when the idea of doing an entirely CGI version of the movie came up he agreed because he wouldn't have to physically do a thing, just record his voice.

Also, I made this in a GAF thread a while ago:
NEWGhostBusters.jpg

but thinking about it, the Apatow movie casts would be much more fitting for a "new gen" of GBs. Or RDjr, Jack Black, and the like.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
WordAssassin said:
And the future. The Ghostbusters were supposed to be time traveling janitors that jumped around from era to era cleaning up monsters and ghosts. In that version, Stay Puff was only one of MANY giant beasts they had to battle.

Murray never wanted to do the second one because he spent the entire first movie bitching about how heavy the proton packs were. Now his stance was he'd only be in the third movie if he died in the first few minutes and got to be a ghost the rest of the film. But when the idea of doing an entirely CGI version of the movie came up he agreed because he wouldn't have to physically do a thing, just record his voice.

Also, I made this in a GAF thread a while ago:
NEWGhostBusters.jpg

but thinking about it, the Apatow movie casts would be much more fitting for a "new gen" of GBs. Or RDjr, Jack Black, and the like.

Oh god, I think I'd hate any movie with Steve Carell AND Will Farrell...

Give me Dave Chappelle, Steve Buscemi, Seth Rogen and switch it up with some "funny girl" like Tina Fey or fuck, Amanda Bynes. Or just go with Vince Vaughn if you have to. Maybe Owen Wilson.

Blader

Thaedolus said:
Oh god, I think I'd hate any movie with Steve Carell AND Will Farrell...

Give me Dave Chappelle, Steve Buscemi, Seth Rogen and switch it up with some "funny girl" like Tina Fey or fuck, Amanda Bynes. Or just go with Vince Vaughn if you have to. Maybe Owen Wilson.

God no.

Unless the original actors are involved in some capacity reprising their roles and the movie strikes a delicate balance between action, scifi, humor, and horror this movie will suck so bad.

Oh and why do people hate Ghostbusters 2? It had alot of cool stuff like VIGO (who was a scarier villian than Gozer imo), the scillari brothers in the courtroom, the river of slime, and the subway tunnel scene.

"Ok so the black guy was a problem for everybody and once I was stuck in an elevator for 3 hours but I don't blame them cuz once I turned into a dog and they saved me. Thank you" - Rick Moranis, Ghostbusters 2

mCACGj

Yeah, Ghostbusters II fucking rules. It might be a little campy, but it's still classic.

The original is still infinitely better, but let's not hate on GBII.

Sanjuro

Ghostbusters 2 was nothing but a lazy, generic, and cash-in sequel. That being said there are many MANY much worse alternatives as there were several enjoyable moments in this film.

Ghostbusters is a classic film.

Janine Melnitz: You're very handy, I can tell. I bet you like to read a lot, too.
Dr. Egon Spengler: Print is dead.
Janine Melnitz: Oh, that's very fascinating to me. I read a lot myself. Some people think I'm too intellectual but I think it's a fabulous way to spend your spare time. I also play raquetball. Do you have any hobbies?
Dr. Egon Spengler: I collect spores, molds, and fungus.

The Ghostbusters 2 hate bandwagon is just as huge and stocked with drastic hyperbole as I remember.

It's certainly no Scary Movie 5 or Austin Powers 4 or whatever else is getting creamed out of Hollywood's anus right now, though.

MisterHero

A lot of fanboys are hatin Ghostbusters II because Tully endorsed Super Merry-o Bros. and the Ghostbusters had the NES Advantage on their side

laserbeam said:
1z5n800.jpg

More like half the Stay Puft marshmellow man
SUCK IN THE GUTS GUYS, WE'RE THE GHOSTBUSTERS

Sanjuro

JzeroT1437 said:
The Ghostbusters 2 hate bandwagon is just as huge and stocked with drastic hyperbole as I remember.

It's certainly no Scary Movie 5 or Austin Powers 4 or whatever else is getting creamed out of Hollywood's anus right now, though.
I'm with you for the most part. I just don't consider it great or halfway as good as the first film.

JzeroT1437 said:

in some scenes it's fun, but it's lazy comedy..other scenes are simply too embarassing (statue of liberty?). It wasn't the worst sequel ever, it had some decency, but definitely a lazy effort ending in a shallow, cold and uninspired movie

Sanjuro

Harold Ramis just emailed the Chicago Tribune’s Mark Caro about the status of the “Ghostbusters III” project, currently being scripted by "The Office" writers Gene Stupnitsky and Lee Eisenberg. The bit about Judd Apatow -- who worked with Ramis, Stupnitsky and Eisenberg on next summer's Jack Black period comedy "Year One" -- would seem to imply that some of Apatow’s ever-expanding rep company (Seth Rogen? Paul Rudd? Sacha Baron Cohen? Will Ferrell?) might play Junior Ghostbusters alongside the Ramis, Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd and Ernie Hudson characters:

yes, columbia is developing a script for GB3 with my year one writing partners, gene stupnitsky and lee eisenberg. judd apatow is co-producing year one and has made several other films for sony, so of course the studio is hoping to tap into some of the same acting talent. aykroyd, ivan reitman and i are consulting at this point, and according to dan, bill murray is willing to be involved on some level. he did record his dialogue for the new ghostbusters video game, as did danny and i, and ernie hudson. the concept is that the old ghostbusters would appear in the film in some mentor capacity. not much else to say at this point. everyone is confident a decent script can be written and i guess we'll take it from there.
best,
harold

AniHawk

Mentor capacity? Fail.

Sounds like Bill Murray'd have a minor role. That guy needs another Groundhog Day. And he needs to get an oscar for it too.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Blablurn said:

i think cast from spoutblog's recast ghostbusters contest is totally ace:

frozenhamster said:
I have for you the David Fincher mind-bender, thriller re-make of Ghostbusters. Its a film about a crack team of paranormal scientists who uncover the means to hunt down and capture ghosts and go to work to rid a grim New York City of them. It is already being hailed as the most twisted and frighteningly absorbing thriller of the year.

Robert Downey Jr. ... Dr. Peter Venkman

Brad Pitt (I'm sorry Adam) ... Dr. Raymond Stantz

Edward Norton ... Dr. Egon Spengler

Forest Whitaker ... Winston Zeddmore

Helena Bonham Carter ... Dana Barrett

Kevin Spacey ... Louis Tully

Gwyneth Paltrow ... Janine Melnitz

Elias Koteas ... Walter Peck

Brian Cox ... Mayor

Jared Leto ... Male Student

Natalie Portman ... Female Student

Cate Blanchett ... Gozer

Meat Loaf ... Zuul / Slimer (voice) (uncredited)

my only complaint would be brad pitt. ray is a smart guy, but is a bit of a schlub, and i'm not sure brad pitt can be anything but completely cool, even when he's playing a retarded man. maybe put mark ruffalo in that spot.

bud

i think you're saying that because brad pitt just looks so amazingly good, and has, like, the perfect figure. i totally agree with this, but if he can look a bit goofy--maybe put on some weight or something--while acting like a retard, then even he could lose his cool.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
maybe so. my nonsexual crush on brad pitt may be coloring my opinion. still, it's hard for me to imagine him as ray.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Brad Pitt, Matt Damon, Daniel Day Lewis and Will Smith.

MAKE IT SO!

daniel day lewis could method-act the shit out of peter venkman. :lol
"I've got a trap, and it goes AAACRRROSSSSS the rooooom!"

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i remember will smith was once someone on deck to be one of the "new" young ghostbusters being trained by the old crew, when that idea was being bandied about back in the mid-nineties. chris farley too, iirc. will smith wouldn't have been bad at all, and would have been a pretty inspired pick at the time. this was before he was a huge star, mind you.

AniHawk

beelzebozo said:
i remember will smith was once someone on deck to be one of the "new" young ghostbusters being trained by the old crew, when that idea was being bandied about back in the mid-nineties. chris farley too, iirc. will smith wouldn't have been bad at all, and would have been a pretty inspired pick at the time. this was before he was a huge star, mind you.
Will Smith could still do it. He'd be just about as old as Ernie Hudson and Harold Ramis were during the first film.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
i just want this to be a superstar orgy.

sigorney weaver played by angelina jolie or some shit.

tom cruise could be the mayor of NY. *talking to Pitt* "Mr Spangler, it's every New Yorkers god given right to be an asshole." *Maniacal tom cruise laugh*

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
yeah, it just doesn't seem as interesting a pick at this point to me, i suppose because will smith is such a popular choice for those sort of roles. but yeah, he could totally still do it.

Wurm

Banned
Bill Murray actually bothered to voice lines for the videogame, but now there is a chance we may never get to play it and hear them. For this reason alone Activision will never be forgiven. It was the only legitamate way to get some old classic Ghostbusters banter as well, because I hate the CGI movie route and theyre all too oooooollllld or lazy to actually film something live-action and interesting.

I always remember back a few years ago when my flatmates and I would joke about theoretical Vin Diesel movies and:

VIN DIESEL
is
Oscar Barret
in

THE GHOSTBUSTER

was one of the classics.

Wurm said:
It was the only legitamate way to get some old classic Ghostbusters banter as well, because I hate the CGI movie route and theyre all too oooooollllld or lazy to actually film something live-action and interesting.
You hate the CG movie route... but with real-time CG it's fine?
VIN DISEL
is
Oscar Barret
in

THE GHOSTBUSTER
:lol That works.

Wurm

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
You hate the CG movie route... but with real-time CG it's fine?

The game attempts to create as realistic recreations of the cast possible (at least the next-gen one did). Normally when people set out to make a CGI film however, they go straight for the 'stylised' route, and because its a CGI film its also almost always classified as a "cartoon", so the kid friendly focus arrives on the scene and boom: shitsville.

ghostbusters-the-video-game-20071204041717527.jpg

A classic example of this is the Turtles CGI film, and how the studio now wants to make a new live-action film but more darker and closer to the origins. Theres this disconnect firmly in place where if you are creating a CGI film, it must be for kids, but if its live-action then its legitamate teen-to-adult cinema.

JoshuaJSlone said:
:lol That works.

29lcqe1.png

Filming starts yesterday. See you in 2009.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom