• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters III... it's REALLY happening this time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, for those that still aren't convinced this is real -- it can now be considered 100% official.

Harold Ramis confirms the details that we previously heard about plus adds a little more about the concept for this sequel. Here's his e-mail sent to the Chicago Tribune:

Harold Ramis via Email to the Chicago Tribune said:
"yes, columbia is developing a script for GB3 with my year one writing partners, gene stupnitsky and lee eisenberg. judd apatow is co-producing year one and has made several other films for sony, so of course the studio is hoping to tap into some of the same acting talent. aykroyd, ivan reitman and i are consulting at this point, and according to dan, bill murray is willing to be involved on some level. he did record his dialogue for the new ghostbusters video game, as did danny and i, and ernie hudson. the concept is that the old ghostbusters would appear in the film in some mentor capacity. not much else to say at this point."

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/entertainment_popmachine/2008/09/harold-ramis-co.html

Mentors? Uh oh...

Sanjuro

Bill Murray commented on GHOSTBUSTERS 3 tonight at Fantastic Fest!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN9alsyOlwE (5:00 in...but its Bill Murray. Watch it all.)

Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. Tonight's closing night film at Fantastic Fest was CITY OF EMBER with director Gil Kenan in attendance and a surprise appearance by Bill Murray. I dug the movie (more on that later), but the reason you're reading this is due to a question Kraken asked during the Q&A.

I'm sure at some point the video of this will come out, but the non-line for line version of the question was how would Murray feel about strapping on the proton pack and kicking some ghost ass again?

I was very curious to hear Murray's answer. He's not as available to the press or public as Dan Aykroyd or Harold Ramis and he also seemed to be the least enthusiastic about a Ghostbusters sequel...

But tonight he said that he knew "some writers from THE OFFICE" were taking a stab at the script right now (which we already knew) and that he thinks that's a good start. He paused for a few seconds then said that he thinks enough time has passed and that "the wounds from GHOSTBUSTERS 2 are healed" and that he would definitely be into doing another GHOSTBUSTERS movie, stating that the first 40 minutes of the original film is some of the best stuff he's been associated with and the whole shoot was an amazing amount of fun.

He also went on to say that his enthusiasm for Ghostbusters was heightened after recording the voice of Peter Venkman for the video game over the summer. In fact, he said he found himself walking down the street singing the Ghostbusters theme song and then thought people walking around him were going to start yelling at him to "get over yourself, Bill," so he stopped... But the enthusiasm was there.

How cool is that?!?!?

And I got to shake his hand (down in a cave an hour and a half outside of Austin, no less) and have about 30 seconds of smalltalk with the man, where I blubbered something about STRIPES, CADDYSHACK and GHOSTBUSTERS being seminal films growing up and quickly ran back into the huge crowd trying to get at him. I found him to be a lot nicer and down to earth than I expected. It was a great day to be a geek...

Just thought I'd share the words from the man himself on GHOSTBUSTERS 3. If I was concerned about yet another '80s cornerstone being revisited (and possibly ruined) I'm totally over that now. If Murray is excited, then goddamn... who couldn't be excited?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
They should have stopped after 1.

1 was great, 2 not so much.

It had its moments, but overall did not hold a candle to the first.

The second was more cheerful. Maybe a bit too cheerful. One of my favorite scenes was the ghost jogging while checking his pulse, and you hear a man yelling "GHOST! GHOOOOOOOST!" :lol

Sanjuro

sevenchaos said:
Wounds from Ghostbusters 2? What's Bill talking about?
Ghostbusters 2 defense force needs to cease. You should take comfort in knowing that you are one of the examples of a bland sequel and not one of the true disasters.

I love the franchise. They had one of the best comedies of all time and box office performers. Had a cartoon series which at times was a little too clever than it ever should have been. Then a follow up that wanted to merge the best of both of them and just couldn't find it's own rhythm while trying too hard but still delivered some good moments.

aparisi2274 said:
yeah what wounds???

Was he referring to the shitty storyline? With the pissed off slime???

I'm not 100% on this, but I think that Murray was extremely against doing Ghostbusters 2. He only did it after they threw a ton of money at him. I don't think he was the most pleasant guy on set while filming, either. He didn't enjoy making the film at all.

SanjuroTsubaki said:
Ghostbusters 2 defense force needs to cease. You should take comfort in knowing that you are one of the examples of a bland sequel and not one of the true disasters.

I love the franchise. They had one of the best comedies of all time and box office performers. Had a cartoon series which at times was a little too clever than it ever should have been. Then a follow up that wanted to merge the best of both of them and just couldn't find it's own rhythm while trying too hard but still delivered some good moments.
Not defense force. It was a genuine question. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

BTW I'm not a big fan of the second one. So neener neener.

Sanjuro

sevenchaos said:
Not defense force. It was a genuine question. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

BTW I'm not a big fan of the second one. So neener neener.
I gave you a genuine answer if you are a fan of the second film or not.

NR1

It looks like GB3 is almost confirmed...

Ivan Reitman said:
“For the first time,” said the director and producer of the first two movies. “Possibilities are more positive than negative. Before we needed some twist to be able to make it, now if there isn’t any other major change we will do it”.

“It’s never easy to bring all these people to an agreement on something” says the director, but now there’s a script, a definitive one, complete and approved.

Source: http://blog.screenweek.it/2009/10/ivan-reitman-on-ghostbusters-3-its-now-official-and-everybodys-in-it-53584.php

Harold Ramis said:
This summer it was announced that Ghostbusters 3 was definitely a go, and the Internet was buzzing with excitement. You directed a number of The Office episodes, which Gene Stupnitsky and Lee Eisenberg wrote. Did that have anything to do with getting the ball rolling on this long gestating sequel?

Harold Ramis: Gene Stupnitsky and Lee Eisenberg also co-wrote Year One, and the studio was really impressed with their work. They also worked on another film that the studio just bought. They are good at what they do. Gene has been a protégé of mine since college, and Lee was a waiter I met at Martha's Vineyard. They both started as interns and production assistants at Sony. I virtually read everything they had written up until they got their jobs on The Office. It has been a nice relationship. The studio didn't only think they were good, but they thought there was a convenient link to Ghostbusters 3 through me.

Why do you feel, at this date and time, it's so important to revisit Ghostbusters? Is it purely financial, or do you truly feel you can push these characters in a new and exciting direction that we haven't seen before?

Harold Ramis: It's Dan Aykroyd. He has been keeping this idea alive. This is his original concept, and he's wanted to do this for a while. He even wrote a spec script years ago. The twenty-fifth anniversary came, we had the new Blu-ray, and the videogame release, and people still seem so very excited about this movie. The response from the game was tremendous. Everywhere I went, people were asking about it. I thought, why not? Why can't there be a Ghostbusters 3? I have to remind people that they didn't like Ghostbusters 2 very much. But they still seem to want a third one. Finally, Murray said yes. I thought, "Well, we have a good script. Why not?" Ivan Reitman said yes. It came be done. It can happen.

Can you share anything about Dr. Egon's life in 2012? Is he having a hard time dealing with the effects of the Mayan Calendar? Has he found love? Does he have a kid?

Harold Ramis: I had two initial first instincts. One was that Egon had become a shaved head Buddhist monk. That is not going to happen. The thing that I pitched for my character is that he's been living in Geneva, and he works for the Institute of Imaginary Science. The work we are doing doesn't require any conceptual, intellectual, special, or mathematical models for what we are doing. Even we don't know what we are doing. It's that theoretical.

The film is listed as coming out in 2012. Is it going to deal with the Mayan calendar and the end of the world?

Harold Ramis: That is pure speculation. We are not going to do that.

Who would you like to see as the new Ghostbusters? Are you eyeing any potential new talent?

Harold Ramis: Every young actor will be mentioned. No one is signed or has been approached.

The end of the first one is so legendary, how hard is it to top that, or are you even concerned about that?

Harold Ramis: I think we are just going to try and make a good movie. The intention of a sequel is not to give an audience more of what they didn't get enough of the first time. It's to give the audience something that is new. We want them to feel that they are having a new experience of some kind. That becomes a tightrope. Yeah, we definitely are introducing new Ghostbusters. That much is for sure. And there will be inter-dimensional creatures visiting New York. And we will deal with it. That's all I am allowed to say at this point.

Source: Movie Web

bloody-disgusting.com said:
I've been sitting on this news for a few days now as I can't seem to figure out what's new at this point. So I figured I'd just throw it out there and see how it goes. Why not, right? Anyways, I have straight up confirmed, 100%, without a shadow of a doubt that Ivan Reitman, director of Ghost Busters and Ghostbusters II, is in fact attached to get behind the camera for Ghostbusters 3. While he's attached, the word is that he hasn't decided whether or not he really wants to direct, yet. So, yeah, is that news? But here's a little something else we conjured up. Apparently, the sequel takes place when the paranormal researchers "reopen" their ghost removal service after it has been closed for quite a few years. As previously reported, Harold Ramis, Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Ernie Hudson, Rick Moranis and Sigourney Weaver have all confirmed their involvement (in various interviews on the web).

Source: http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/17643

I think its finally going to happen! :D The video game was a big success and has really brought the franchise back to life! Many have view the game as the main driving force behind this push to get the third film made.

Campaign: “Ghostbusters: The Video Game” launch
PR Team: Atari (New York) and DKC (New York)
Time Frame: November 2008 – August 2009
Budget: $75,000 – $100,000

Atari has sold more than a million copies to retailers, with more than 75% sell through. Media placements total 1,064 in outlets such as AP, Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, Esquire, Vanity Fair, Entertainment Weekly, Fortune, USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, PC World, and PC Gamer.

Source: PR Week

The game had an estimated development budget of $12 to $15 million dollars. Those sales aren't too bad for such a small PR budget. The advertising budget was likely very modest too.

gdt

Aristotlekh said:
Statement of Fact: Ghostbusters III will suck shit if the original cast doesn't have a lead role.

Eh, those guys can be the oldschool bringing in the new GB's.

Just bring in

Seth Rogen
Jonah Hill
James Franco
Michael Cera
That skinny Jewish kid
That guy from Forgetting Sarah Marshall
Emma Stone

Bad guy will be, hmm, Steve Carrell.

11543080074696386802.jpeg

Should Be Replaced With:

colbert.jpg

The scribes just wrote "Year One," The scribes just wrote "Year One," The scribes just wrote "Year One," The scribes just wrote "Year One," The scribes just wrote "Year One," The scribes just wrote "Year One," The scribes just wrote "Year One," The scribes just wrote "Year One," The scribes just wrote "Year One," The scribes just wrote "Year One," The scribes just wrote "Year One," The scribes just wrote "Year One," The scribes just wrote "Year One," The scribes just wrote "Year One," The scribes just wrote "Year One," The scribes just wrote "Year One," The scribes just wrote "Year One," The scribes just wrote "Year One," The scribes just wrote "Year One," The scribes just wrote "Year One," The scribes just wrote "Year One," The scribes just wrote "Year One," The scribes just wrote "Year One," The scribes just wrote "Year One," The scribes just wrote "Year One," The scribes just wrote "Year One," The scribes just wrote "Year One,"

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

gdt

On a serious-er note, awhile ago on the Stern Show Rogen was asked about his involvement with the GBIII script.

He basically said GBs was one of his favorite movies ever. No matter what GBIII would never ever be good. And he didn't want a part of that :lol .

So he turned down the chance to write/work on the script/star.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
gdt5016 said:
On a serious-er note, awhile ago on the Stern Show Rogen was asked about his involvement with the GBIII script.

He basically said GBs was one of his favorite movies ever. No matter what GBIII would never ever be good. And he didn't want a part of that :lol .

So he turned down the chance to write/work on the script/star

that is awesome!

NR1

I'm sure the original cast will have a critical role in the new movie. Ramis, Reitman, Aykroyd and Murray keep saying that story is critical to making a sequel. If this is the case, then the originals should have little problem taking a big part in the movie. Honestly, how much "action" really goes on during a Ghostbusters film? They should be able to keep up with the new Busters, with the new guys doing much of the leg work during action scenes and the old guys providing witty commentary.

TheWiicast said:
The scribes just wrote "Year One," The scribes just wrote "Year One," The scribes just wrote "Year One," The scribes just wrote "Year One," The scribes just wrote "Year One,"

I wouldn't worry about it. Year One just wasn't the right vehicle for these writers. They are also writers on The Office. They are called hits and misses. You just have to give the writers a premise that they can work with that caters to their strengths. Luckily for everyone, the Ghostbusters universe has already been well established and the major architects of the original films are central to GBIII (Aykroyd and Ramis).

NR1 said:
I'm sure the original cast will have a critical role in the new movie. Ramis, Reitman, Aykroyd and Murray keep saying that story is critical to making a sequel. If this is the case, then the originals should have little problem taking a big part in the movie. Honestly, how much "action" really goes on during a Ghostbusters film? They should be able to keep up with the new Busters, with the new guys doing much of the leg work during action scenes and the old guys providing witty commentary.

I wouldn't worry about it. Year One just wasn't the right vehicle for these writers. They are also writers on The Office. They are called hits and misses. You just have to give the writers a premise that they can work with that caters to their strengths. Luckily for everyone, the Ghostbusters universe as already been well established and the major architects of the original films are central to GBIII (Aykroyd and Ramis).
Bu bu bu bu bu...YEAR FUCKING ONE. The worst movie of the year! :lol

I do like the office, though...

Gene Stupnitsky and Lee Eisenberg also co-wrote Year One, and the studio was really impressed with their work
Is just as worrying as the fact that they wrote it. I'd like quality control for Ghostbusters III to be high after all this time.

Why the hell would you have anyone but Ramis and Aykroyd write it? Although Blues Brother's 2000 shows that even with the seemingly correct writers these revival projects can easily turn into complete shitfests. For all the trash talking it's totally possible after this movie a lot of people will be wishing it had been another Ghostbusters II.

Davey Cakes

GrotesqueBeauty said:
For all the trash talking it's totally possible after this movie a lot of people will be wishing it had been another Ghostbusters II.
I already wish it was another Ghostbusters II.

Since, you know, Ghostbusters II is actually a fun movie and a decent sequel, and anyone who says otherwise can shove it up their ass.

Ghostbusters 2 is the greatest film ever made. screw the haters

VIGO and that tunnel scene alone are more horrying than anything that can be found in most horror films.

Mentors, huh? I wouldn't be surprised to see John Krasinski and Rainn Wilson as two new ghost busters. This could be a pretty interesting new direction. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom