• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters III... it's REALLY happening this time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeliard

DaMan121 said:
Bill Murray look bored out of his mind in every movie he has ever been in

jpk6z6.jpg

Zeliard

I just don't get saying that Bill Murray looks "bored" in all of his roles when nearly his entire acting style is based on deadpanning and irony, and this is no more notable than in Lost in Translation, with his performance there probably being in the top 5 for the decade.

Davey Cakes

Interestingly enough, they played the original Ghostbusters at a local theater the other day, and I went to see it. Yes, I've watched the movie more times than I can count, but I'd never seen it in theaters before (because it came out before I was born), so going to see it on the big screen was a pretty great opportunity.

The theater was packed, too. Lots of GB fans, most of which were complete nerds.

If/when GBIII comes out, it's going to make a real killing. Not just from the general family audience, but from the outrageously large nerd population.

Zeliard said:
I just don't get saying that Bill Murray looks "bored" in all of his roles when nearly his entire acting style is based on deadpanning and irony, and this is no more notable than in Lost in Translation, with his performance there probably being in the top 5 for the decade.

yeah, no. Hyperbole much?

about G2, he looks unconvinced, don't know how else to put it

NR1

Scullibundo said:

This just reaffirms the common and long running belief that Murray is the major player involved with the franchise that needs the most convincing to get onboard with a sequel.

I don't think this means he is opposed to doing GB3 though. I think this just means that Murray isn't involved with the script writing process and is fully aware that the studio has not given the green light to the film yet. Erin Hudson (Winston) isn't involved in the story creation either. Besides, from what has been said about the other two films, Murray basically improvised his entire lines.

Cheebs

SanjuroTsubaki said:
So this basically means Bill Murray won't be involved?
No, there wont be a GB3 period without Bill. None of the main leads will do it without him. Bill isn't saying no, he just wont say yes till he sees a script and decides if he likes it.

Which something we should all be thankful for. It is best to have no GB3 than to have a lackluster one. The film will be better if Bill puts up a real high standard for it to measure up to for him to sign off on it.

pubba

Bill Murray wishes that GB never happened. He resented making the sequel and left for France immediately after GB2 was released. He stayed there and studied philosophy to avoid the publicity and bullshit back in the US.

He hated total strangers running up to him on the street and shouting quotes from the movie.

I'm guessing he did the game voice over work for the $$ and it's going to take a huge amount of cash to convince him to be involved in another GB movie.

Sorry to be a downer, I'm a huge GB fan myself - but I think folks should know how much Murray dislikes the whole franchise.

Cheebs

pubba said:
Bill Murray wishes that GB never happened.
No, he talks nothing but praise about the first one. He claims the first 45 min of it are the funniest stuff he has ever done in his career and it was the most fun he ever had making a movie. It is just the second one he doesn't like.

I think some people don't like the fact that Ghostbusters 2 was a more serious film. Vigo is a horrifying villian that you can take seriously. When it was revealed who gozer was it was like a joke even when I was little. It was some metrosexual 80s hairmetal singer. Easly the most disappointing 80s villian.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Anticitizen One said:
I think some people don't like the fact that Ghostbusters 2 was a more serious film. Vigo is a horrifying villian that you can take seriously. When it was revealed who gozer was it was like a joke even when I was little. It was some metrosexual 80s hairmetal singer. Easly the most disappointing 80s villian.
What? Gozer the most disappointing 80s villain? And Vigo a horrifying villain? Thats crazy talk.

pubba said:
Bill Murray wishes that GB never happened. He resented making the sequel and left for France immediately after GB2 was released. He stayed there and studied philosophy to avoid the publicity and bullshit back in the US.

He hated total strangers running up to him on the street and shouting quotes from the movie.

I'm guessing he did the game voice over work for the $$ and it's going to take a huge amount of cash to convince him to be involved in another GB movie.

Sorry to be a downer, I'm a huge GB fan myself - but I think folks should know how much Murray dislikes the whole franchise.

Bill Murray said:
He paused for a few seconds then said that he thinks enough time has passed and that "the wounds from GHOSTBUSTERS 2 are healed" and that he would definitely be into doing another GHOSTBUSTERS movie, stating that the first 40 minutes of the original film is some of the best stuff he's been associated with and the whole shoot was an amazing amount of fun.

He also went on to say that his enthusiasm for Ghostbusters was heightened after recording the voice of Peter Venkman for the video game over the summer. In fact, he said he found himself walking down the street singing the Ghostbusters theme song and then thought people walking around him were going to start yelling at him to "get over yourself, Bill," so he stopped... But the enthusiasm was there.

Sanjuro

Cheebs said:
No, there wont be a GB3 period without Bill. None of the main leads will do it without him. Bill isn't saying no, he just wont say yes till he sees a script and decides if he likes it.

Which something we should all be thankful for. It is best to have no GB3 than to have a lackluster one. The film will be better if Bill puts up a real high standard for it to measure up to for him to sign off on it.
I'm well aware of the situation, just adding to the dramatic effect.

Anticitizen One said:

never really cared about the villain in the first movie, what made it awesome was the humour, the characters and the Stay Puft , which was scary as fuck and ten times more awesome than bitch Vigo

you say Gozer is a joke, I can agree with that, but what about the walking Liberty? :lol :lol :lol

Anasui Kishibe said:
never really cared about the villain in the first movie, what made it awesome was the humour, the characters and the Stay Puft , which was scary as fuck and ten times more awesome than bitch Vigo

you say Gozer is a joke, I can agree with that, but what about the walking Liberty? :lol :lol :lol

Your love, is liftin' me higher!

AniHawk

Anasui Kishibe said:

People are hating on Gozer and the statue of liberty scene?!

critch

Banned
pubba said:

There's a certain movie that came out 2 weeks ago which completely invalidates EVERYTHING you just said.

It's also the funniest thing Murray has done since GB. There's no way in hell he's not coming back for 3.

SpacLock

critch said:
There's a certain movie that came out 2 weeks ago which completely invalidates EVERYTHING you just said.

It's also the funniest thing Murray has done since GB. There's no way in hell he's not coming back for 3.

This. Even though you might have just spoiled his cameo appearance in it. Either way, I don't care. He was awesome in it and it was the best part of the entire movie. It was also good to see him and
Woody
back together on the same screen again.

AlternativeUlster said:
How about Vince Vaughn, Robert Downey Jr., Stephen Chow, & Will Arnett?

imo....

Christopher Mintz as Egon (by the time this ever gets made, he'd look old enough to be a young adult egon)

John Krasinski as Peter Vankmen

Seth Rogan as Ray Stantz

and Idris Elba or Charlie Murphy as Winston Zeddmore

this cast would be full of win....but imho of course

SpacLock said:
This. Even though you might have just spoiled his cameo appearance in it. Either way, I don't care. He was awesome in it and it was the best part of the entire movie. It was also good to see him and
Woody
back together on the same screen again.

Which movie is this?

How in god's name was GB2 more serious? Are you effing HIGH? GB2 was the exact opposite. It was more cheerful.

GB1 was more serious and scary overall. The beginning library scene with the woman, then the GBs runs into the ghost librarian. The terror dogs. Holy shit are they scary looking. Even the hotel scene had a creepy atmospheric vibe.

BTW, new GB shirt?

ghostbusters-halloween-costume-shirt.jpg

Halloween costume!

ghostbusters-halloween-costume-with-proton-pack.jpg

Davey Cakes

There were three guys in Ghostbusters costumes at the theater showing. Of course, their equipment looked real. It was quite impressive.

The only things scary in GB 1 were 1) library scene 2)when slimmer wigs out and attacks pete 3)the cab driver 4)stay pufts first glimpse and 5) when dana sees that other world in her fridge

GB 2 featured something horriying every 30 seconds from severed heads in a tunnel to some creepy old guy coming out of a painting and im not even brining up the oscar capture scene.

NR1

Video: http://www.metalmachine.net/ernie_hudson_wizard.html

"Ivan [Reitman] said its going to happen and if anybody knows, he does," said Hudson. "I think probably we're going to shoot in the fall, this is what I'm told, and it'll probably come out in May, 2011."

Sounds like Reitman is getting the major players in line just incase this really happens. Making sure all the actors have their schedules cleared for a Fall 2010 shoot.
:D

Davey Cakes

Vigo wasn't really horrifying, but he's definitely a more unsettling villain than anything we saw in the original Ghostbusters.

Honestly, it was a decent idea to have the painting as a dark presence. It was effective, at least. How the painting is just creepy to look at, how photos of the painting show the river of slime, etc. It's definitely a bit less silly than the whole Gozer, thing, that's for sure.

I can understand that these are comedy movies we're talking about, but in terms of villains I see no problem with Vigo. I also don't see a problem with Ghostbusters II in general.

NR1

Ernie Hudson continued to reaffirm that Ghostbusters is planned for a 2010 filming with a May 2011 release date at this past weekend's Crypticon in Bloomington, MN.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dgDz_9DPHY&feature=player_embedded

The fact that he is still saying this nearly a month after the first time (see a few posts above) indicates to me that no one has contacted him to correct him on his information. Seems like this is the currently plan that they are working with for the film.

Also, Murray has been talking again, only this time to the Ny Magazine:

I heard you weren’t happy with plans for Ghostbusters 3.

I haven’t seen the script, so it’s not a matter of being happy or not.

Do you want to do the movie?

I don’t know. It’s all about the script. If the script’s not good, I’m not going to get excited. They’ve been talking about it for a long time. So, you know, I don’t get all excited about it, you know.

Dan Aykroyd told me it’s going to be two guys and two girls.

That sounds like a weekend, but I don’t know if it’s a movie.

What age do you think the new Ghostbusters should be?

Oh, I don’t know. I don’t know what they’re talking about. It’s just talk. No one’s sent me a script. I haven’t seen anything. [Dan Aykroyd] is more out there. He’s a much more active guy than I am. I’m sluggish.

You don’t want to do it?

I mean, I like those guys. But it’s all about if the stuff is good. The stuff’s got to be great.

Read more: Bill Murray on Ghostbusters 3: ‘I’m Not Going to Get Excited’ -- Vulture http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2009/11/bill_murray_on_ghostbusters_3.html#ixzz0Wehddzpf

Did anyone catch the Murray interview on David Letterman earlier this week? Man, when he says he is "sluggish" he isn't joking! Man, he basically sleepwalked through that entire interview. I found that rather odd because Murray is usually very active and excited on Letterman. I don't think this is a case of Murray not liking Ghostbusters, but rather that he dislikes doing stuff all together. Such a shame...

Oddly enough, Aykroyd claims Murray has seen the script and loves it:

"This one? No [Murray hasn't been critical of it]. He likes it." So what is the story? we asked. "I want to retire and hand it over to a young cadre and cadet who can pick up the equipment and drive the car because I'm too old for that now," Aykroyd told us. "I hope it's a nice mix, maybe two guys and two girls. We'll find some great young actors. We're probably going to search for unknowns."

Read more: Dan Aykroyd on Ghostbusters 3 Casting: Two Guys, Two Girls, All Unknowns -- Vulture http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2009/10/dan_aykroyd_on_ghostbusters_3.html#ixzz0WejFrHFE

B.K.

Sigourney Weaver talked about Ghostbusters 3 in an interview a few days ago. Who knows if she knows what she's talking about, but I'm going to spoiler it anyway in case it's true.

"I'm afraid to say that it *is* happening, I hope people are excited about that," she said. "I don't know if I'm going to be in it, I have gotten a couple of calls asking 'would you read the script.'"

"I know that my little son, Oscar – who was kidnapped from me – I think he has grown up to be a ghostbuster," she added before spilling another, even bigger bit...

"I might be in it and I see nothing wrong with being in it, although I don't think I will have a big part in it. I think Bill Murray has a little more to do with it - he might be a ghost."

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=61586

Interesting, if true.

NR1

Watching the video of the interview, leads me to think that Weaver is just speculating about plot details (she makes several odd faces after giving those details and she does say "I think..." several times).

The
Bill Murray as a ghost detail
is an old story element that was discussed years ago for the Ghostbusters in Hell script. I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be true, given
Murray's disinterest
in the franchise. Its the easiest way to
cut him out of future films that he could hold up production on like he has been on GBIII

Torquill

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
I never found Sigourney to be attractive in the past. But she's looking pretty good in that video, especially for her age.
The common wisdom is that she simply gets better looking with age.

NR1

popcorn.jpg

Here comes the Ghostbusters question: What’s up with part three?

Something’s going to happen. Dan [Aykroyd] did write a spec GB3 screenplay a few years ago, but no one was motivated to pursue it. Now, 25 years after the original, there seems to be some willingness to proceed and apparently a substantial public appetite for a sequel. We’ll introduce some new young Ghostbusters, and all the old guys will be in it, too. Think Christopher Lloyd in Back to the Future ... GB3 is progressing with plans to shoot next summer and release in 2011 … Oh, and I have two one-of-a-kind Ghostbuster yarmulkes sent by fans.

Source: Heeb Magazine

I really like this Doc Brown/ Marty McFly relationship dynamic he hints at. That could be a good way for the Old Busters to interact with the New Busters.

It looks like GB3 is going to happen at long last. :D Everything Ramis, Weaver, Hudson, and Reitman have been saying seem to be lining up (2010 shooting with a 2011 release).

I hope if they make it, that Terminal Reality develops a sequel video game that takes place following the events of the third movie. I wouldn't want to "play the movie," but rather go to the movie and get to know the new characters and then play a brand new story that takes place 6 months after the events in the movie and play as one of the new Busters.

pubba

Some very promising developments in the last few months. Good news!

I like the fact that Ramis is talking about casting unknowns.

If Seth Rogan, Vince Vaughan or any other noughties douchebag is in GB3 then that just about wraps it up for Hollywood. I'm out.

Bill Murray as a ghost sounded ridiculous at first, but I think it could work..

I'm still surprised that there weren't a whole slew of copycat ghost busting films after the first 2 came out.

Oh god. New recruits? Just kill it with fire. The movie is going to be way too campy and even worse than GB2's atmosphere. Not to say I hated GB2, but it didn't have that scary atmosphere from the first movie. GB2 just turned into a Saturday morning kid's movie.

I don't know why the orginal cast can't come back again to save the world one more time. I know they are old, but they look young enough to be able to put on the pack again and have two major scenes. It wasn't like in the past GB movies where they were doing acrobatic jumps and shit like that with the packs on.

Goldrusher

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Oh god. New recruits? Just kill it with fire. The movie is going to be way too campy and even worse than GB2's atmosphere. Not to say I hated GB2, but it didn't have that scary atmosphere from the first movie. GB2 just turned into a Saturday morning kid's movie.
Ghostbusters III: Citizens on Patrol

I love Police Academy. COP was awesome.

B.K.

Looks like Weaver knew what she was talking about after all.

When Sigourney Weaver was traveling the world promoting Avatar, she dropped a possible big spoiler about Bill Murray's character in Ghostbusters 3. Many doubted what she said, but it looks like she was right on the money as Murray said the exact same thing to Mail Online.

The following contains spoilers you may not want to know before you see the movie.

In the December interview, Weaver said: "
I know that my little son, Oscar – who was kidnapped from me – I think he has grown up to be a ghostbuster," adding, "I might be in it and I see nothing wrong with being in it, although I don't think I will have a big part in it. I think Bill Murray has a little more to do with it - he might be a ghost.
"

And in the new interview, Murray says: "I'll come back in Ghostbusters III only if
I get to be a ghost. I said to them, 'I'll do it if you kill me off in the first reel.' So now they are going to have me as a ghost in the film."

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=63109

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom