• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters III... it's REALLY happening this time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kletian

MisterHero said:
RIP
Peter Venkman
:(

I don't want it anymore

Oh come on,
I think I'd enjoy Ghost Peter running around the firehouse being a smartass without a care in the world. Definately a different approach to the mentor/student relationship

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
2guwrbp.jpg

MisterHero

Kletian said:
Oh come on,
I think I'd enjoy Ghost Peter running around the firehouse being a smartass without a care in the world. Definately a different approach to the mentor/student relationship
Sure that could be entertaining and the best thing I could hope for. Hopefully he doesn't end up like the Librarian or the Scoleri Brothers. I just want the conclusion to Peter/Dana/Oscar's story as well as continuing the Ghostbusters story and this just provides the potential for so many distractions

Kletian

MisterHero said:
Sure that could be entertaining and the best thing I could hope for. Hopefully he doesn't end up like the Librarian or the Scoleri Brothers. I just want the conclusion to Peter/Dana/Oscar's story as well as continuing the Ghostbusters story and this just provides the potential for so many distractions

and I'm sure it' will end with some valiant sacrifice that Ghost Peter has to be trapped/destroyed/whatever along with the villian in order to save Oscar's life

Go go cliche' go.

Raydeen

One part of me wants to punch their air with a "HELL YEAH!"...but then I remember Ghostbusters 2....do I really want a 3 to tarnish the memory of the 80's awesomeness that was the original.

Well they had already lost me when they decided to go with the new generation route (The original cast was more important to the movies than the story or ghostbusting concept itself) but if this news is true, they're going to hurt the first 2 movies with such an outcome for that character. I don't want to see him mucking about as Ghost Dad either.

MisterHero

Kletian said:
and I'm sure it' will end with some valiant sacrifice that Ghost Peter has to be trapped/destroyed/whatever along with the villian in order to save Oscar's life

Go go cliche' go.
killing off the most loveable character that isn't Slimer is for shock value

riotous humor better ensue or there'll just be a riot

I have some script ideas for Akroyd and Ramis. Look at THE REAL GHOSTBUSTERS CARTOON. The series had episodes that were better than GB2. Screw that stupid baby from GB2. I can't believe people on here are carrying on about Oscar like he really exists.

Balboa

I hope it's not just going to be Bill Murray voicing a CG ghost, although I'm not sure how good it would look if it was really him flying about on wires.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
The recent videogame was great but especially because it was the Ghostbusters in their "movie age". Now that the actors are all older, I'm not sure if we're going to see a bizarre Indiana Jones/Die Hard kind of deal here. The game did prove, however, that the cast can reunite for this.

But it's already been re-made!

* massive spoilers for a great movie ahead. Can't name the movie though as it'll give away the spoiler. All I can say is the movie came out within the last year. :( *

Zombieland. I have to be honest with myself. The Ghostbusters portion of that movie will likely be better than Ghostbusters 3.

I'm okay with this.
Ghost Venkmen
could be cool. It's better than just more of the same. I think pretty much everyone here is going to hate this movie, even if it's Citizen Kane, because it's "tarnishing their childhood" or whatever.

I can't wait for the meltdown when they officially announce that Slimer's going to be CG. Go ahead and get used to that, because I highly doubt a studio is going to support the old costume/puppet.

About a year ago, my daughter and I happened across the original on AMC. She really wanted to watch it, so I got out the dvd and we watched it.

It's her "thing" now. She's a total Ghostbusters nerd. We have the Real Ghostbusters dvd and it's on 24/7.

Here is her at Halloween.

13065_209734583776_818843776_2802451_1911980_n.jpg

The spoilers going around are kinda crazy, but as long as it isn't EXTREME GHOSTBUSTERS shitty, I'll be ok. For her sake, I hope they knock it out of the park.

NR1

Cinemablend.com says they know whom the villain of Ghostbusters 3 will be:

Apparently as recently as this summer, the writers were basing the central mythology of Ghostbusters 3 around Zoroastrianism, an ancient religion that focuses on the war between good and evil. The central baddie of the whole thing is Ahriman, "the god of darkness, the eternal destroyer of good, personification and creator of evil, bringer of death and disease."

Sounds like a good concept and is more in line with Gozer and the Sumerian civilization concept rather than Vigo the Carpathian.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
NR1 said:
Cinemablend.com says they know whom the villain of Ghostbusters 3 will be:

Apparently as recently as this summer, the writers were basing the central mythology of Ghostbusters 3 around Zoroastrianism, an ancient religion that focuses on the war between good and evil. The central baddie of the whole thing is Ahriman, "the god of darkness, the eternal destroyer of good, personification and creator of evil, bringer of death and disease."

Sounds like a good concept and is more in line with Gozer and the Sumerian civilization concept rather than Vigo the Carpathian.

Mazda
Age will be pleased.

NR1

Bill Murray was on David Letterman last night and he reconfirmed those SPOILER RUMORS/ DETAILS that that were posted earlier.

Murray on Letterman

Clearly he is not excited about the film, but it looks like he will do it since it appears the studio will fulfill his wish. Murray seems to think that the film wont get made, despite his (un)willingness to appear in it.

I will never understand why Murray has such a deep seeded hatred for GB2. It is a fine film, despite what some people say. Plus, I would think that he would be more open to a third film after have such a positive experience on the video game.

Davey Cakes

NR1 said:
I will never understand why Murray has such a deep seeded hatred for GB2. It is a fine film, despite what some people say. Plus, I would think that he would be more open to a third film after have such a positive experience on the video game.
Agreed on both fronts. GBII is an underrated sequel and Murray's unwarranted hatred of it only feeds into other peoples' unwarranted hatred. It's really unfortunate.

And yeah, the Ghostbusters game was received quite well, and a lot of that had to do with the fan service. I have no doubt that the third Ghostbusters movie, if done right, will garner the same overall response. People love the franchise, and as long as it's done justice, people are happy and willing to spend money on it.

aparisi2274

NR1 said:

It was nowhere near a 'fine' film. It wasn't even close to being a good film.

Good Slime, bad Slime... Statue of Liberty coming to life through jackie Brown music? a less than stellar evil villan...

I agree with Murray that GB2 is crap.

Getting back on topic though, I would love to see Murray as
a ghost
in GB3. I think it would be hysterical...

NR1

According to New York Magazine's Vulture, the division lies in Columbia's desire to have a hot young director take over the third film in the series. But Reitman has a decades-old deal in place that gives him creative control over the films, including director approval. As the site puts it, "While it's true that Reitman can't force Columbia to make Ghostbusters 3 with him, he can make it nearly impossible for the studio to make the film without him."

The second draft of the new film's script (by The Office writers Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky) is in progress right now and due in May. Columbia apparently was hoping that if Reitman became busy with another project -- like his just green-lit Ashton Kutcher/Natalie Portman comedy Friends with Benefits (previously known as Fuckbuddies -- he'd let someone else take over on Ghostbusters. That doesn't look to be happening, however.

"Insiders familiar with Reitman's plans say he thinks the two comedies are not mutually exclusive, and still plans to direct both, raising serious questions about whether Sony will want to proceed with Ghostbusters 3 at all," says the site. "However, losing Ghostbusters would make a tough 2011 even tougher, as the studio has no other franchise blockbuster scheduled."

Source: IGN

I see no problem with Reitman directing to be perfectly honest. He knows the material and he's still a fine director. I actually enjoyed My Super Ex-Girlfriend. In fact, its partially because of Rainn Wilson's role in that movie, that I started watching The Office.

Man, Rainn Wilson needs to be a Ghostbuster!

I find it hilarious that Bill Murray literally doesn't give a shit about this film. It was pretty apparent in the Letterman interview.

Also I think he's right to have some reservations. Dan Aykroyd and Ramis' comedic timing will probably be horrible in this. And they've all aged pretty badly except for Hudson.

Pachinko

I think the best course of action is a requel myself.

Well I mean aside from just not doing a 3rd film.

The problem is , the entire cast of the original is still around but too old to really pull it off now, we'd wind up with a garbage film like indy 4.

Because they are still around it'd feel wrong to not use them in a new film but on the other hand , just doing a brand new film that ignores the original with a completely new cast and mostly different storyline would be more interesting to me then a movie which attempted to shoehorn everyone together at an old age.

Sanjuro

Bill Murray talks about Ghostbusters 3 in a GQ interview.

http://www.joblo.com/bill-murray-continues-to-be-open-and-honest-about-the-next-ghostbusters-film

GQ: Is the third Ghostbusters movie happening? What's the story with that?

Murray: It's all a bunch of crock. It's a crock. There was a story—and I gotta be careful here, I don't want to hurt someone's feelings. When I hurt someone's feelings, I really want to hurt them. [laughs] Harold Ramis said, Oh, I've got these guys, they write on The Office, and they're really funny. They're going to write the next Ghostbusters. And they had just written this movie that he had directed.

Year One.

Year One. Well, I never went to see Year One, but people who did, including other Ghostbusters, said it was one of the worst things they had ever seen in their lives. So that dream just vaporized. That was gone. But it's the studio that really wants this thing. It's a franchise. It's a franchise, and they made a whole lot of money on Ghostbusters.

Oh, sure, I remember. The soundtrack. The lunchboxes. The action figures.

Right. And it's still one of the biggest movies of all time. And ever since that story broke, everywhere I go people are like, "So are you gonna make that movie?" I was down in Austin at South by Southwest, and you go at it hard down there—fun but, man, you need to sleep for days afterwards. Anyhow, I got into it one night with a bunch of younger people who were like, Oh, I love Peter Venkman! I grew up with Peter Venkman! We got to talking, and the more we talked about it, the more I thought, Oh Christ, I should just do this thing.

A generation awaits, for sure. You weren't even supposed to play that role, right?

Yeah. Originally it was Belushi. Like a lot of my movies. [beat] God, John died, what was it, twenty-five years ago?

OnPoint

I don't know if I'd want it anymore at this point. I'd go see it either way, but I wouldn't be expecting much

Oh well. Better left dead at this point

OnPoint said:
I don't know if I'd want it anymore at this point. I'd go see it either way, but I wouldn't be expecting much

Oh well. Better left dead at this point

He doesn't seem excited about anything lately. I wish he'd just retire.

Vyer

It's a shame that Murray seems to have become one of those 'bitter about being famous' type of guys. I guess there was a falling out between those guys? I don't know.

Being a snarky, bitter, cynical type was always his calling card, but any time I see him /read an interview with him it seems like he's taken it to heart.

I mean, really, how out of touch do you have to be to be surprised there's a whole generation out there that liked Peter Venkman?

bridegur

I couldn't be more thrilled to hear him talking about Year One that way. I'd rather have no Ghostbusters 3 than one written by those hacks.

Vyer said:
It's a shame that Murray seems to have become one of those 'bitter about being famous' type of guys. I guess there was a falling out between those guys? I don't know.

Being a snarky, bitter, cynical type was always his calling card, but any time I see him /read an interview with him it seems like he's taken it to heart.

I mean, really, how out of touch do you have to be to be surprised there's a whole generation out there that liked Peter Venkman?

To play devil's advocate here, partly it's our fault. We've been the ones hounding him the last ~15 years over this. From the get-go it was always a toss-up whether GB3 would ever see the light of day. Murray didn't (doesn't) know. He plays Venkman and that's it. It's up to Ramis and Akroyd to get a good fucking script. By the sounds of it Murray has read those scripts and remains unimpressed. Perhaps he's a little jaded, but we're the ones who have been after him all these years. He's getting older, and him saying, "fuck it" really isn't that hard to grasp.

Honestly, let the series live its golden years with the old films and the video game.

Vyer

disappeared said:
To play devil's advocate here, partly it's our fault. We've been the ones hounding him the last ~15 years over this. From the get-go it was always a toss-up whether GB3 would ever see the light of day. Murray didn't (doesn't) know. He plays Venkman and that's it. It's up to Ramis and Akroyd to get a good fucking script. By the sounds of it Murray has read those scripts and remains unimpressed. Perhaps he's a little jaded, but we're the ones who have been after him all these years. He's getting older, and him saying, "fuck it" really isn't that hard to grasp.

Honestly, let the series live its golden years with the old films and the video game.

I can understand that, but then again maybe he isn't quite as 'aware' as we might think. I mean, from that interview like I said how could he be surprised at the response when he was at SXSW in Austin?

And Murray's jaded approach seems to be in everything he gets interviewed about, not just Ghostbusters.

Aaron

From the writers of Year One = movie will be utter shit. There was nothing remotely redeemable about that movie, especially the script.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
My emotions towards this movie are moving dangerously fast to "let's just get this shit over with and bury the franchise" with every interview Murray gives.

PowderedToast

to say murray doesn't care about anything anymore is a little silly, i just think his interests have changed. during the past decade he basically reinvigorated himself. his works with the likes of wes anderson and jim jaramusch have allowed him to explore a different side of acting. i wouldn't be surprised if he felt that he's done with being involved in ghostbuster-like films, unless the script is really really good.

i mean if you look back before he appeared in rushmore, his career wasn't in a great place. he could've easily gone down the route aykroyd did, reduced to soley appearing in cameo roles in mediocre comedies. he's got a whole new focus now.

Clevinger

PowderedToast said:
to say murray doesn't care about anything anymore is a little silly, i just think his interests have changed. during the past decade he basically reinvigorated himself. his works with the likes of wes anderson and jim jaramusch have allowed him to explore a different side of acting. i wouldn't be surprised if he felt that he's done with being involved in ghostbuster-like films, unless the script is really really good.

I wouldn't say he's explored it. He's clung to one shtick and that's about it.

judhudson

PowderedToast said:

i mean if you look back before he appeared in rushmore, his career wasn't in a great place. he could've easily gone down the route aykroyd did, reduced to soley appearing in cameo roles in mediocre comedies. he's got a whole new focus now.

Dan Aykroyd owns his own wine company. I'm sure Murray wouldn't mind having one of his own :p

I didn't know that John Belushi was the original choice to play Peter Venkman. If there are such things as alternate universes, I'd like to visit the one where that version of Ghostbusters happened and check it out.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Vyer said:

In an interview, Harold Ramis stated he hasn't spoken with Murray in years, since they made Groundhog Day.

I guess hanging out with Wes Anderson turned Murray emo. :D

NR1

Dan Aykroyd is out promoting his lines of liquors, and the Winnipeg Free Press says that he had something interesting to say about GB3...

This will be the last liquor tour for Aykroyd for awhile. He said much of his time will soon be taken up by Ghostbusters III, which begins shooting next spring.

No direct quote is available yet, but Dan will be making several appearances in the next few days and weeks, so we will likely hear more from him from other media outlets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom