• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GI.biz Op-Ed: Titanfall 2 a "commercial failure," "a victim of chest-beating pride."

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
EA should not have made Respawn die on this hell, as they deserved better.

This month is a murderers row of big budget releases, Titanfall isn't established enough, as a franchise, to compete for mindshare.

gnexus

Not even Dew and Doritos and Buffalo Wild Wings could save this...

Such a shame. Hopefully it bounces back through the holidays and does better. Being shoved between BF1 and IW did no favors for this game. Some gamers can't simply afford TF2

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I still think it's a case of EA not being confident in BF1 and thinking Titanfall 2 was safer in the current climate of shooters. Even in the marketing, BF1 info was stepping on TF2's coverage as news hit.

killroy87

On one hand EA definitely fucked Respawn over. A truly dumb move.

On the other hand, tweets like that one from the TF account are truly classless, and perpetuate this industry being tacky and childish.

danmaku

People should note that this is an opinion piece and that we don't have any hard numbers on sales figures.

We also don't know the reasoning behind the release date, the author is assuming it was hubris and overconfidence.

I wonder if Respawn instead bet on the wrong horse. They thought the next step after CoD was increasing player's mobility and adding mechs, but the success of Overwatch makes me think that what people wanted instead were interesting characters with unique abilities. Sure, CoD immediately copied Titanfall formula, but I wonder if it sold because of it or just because it's CoD. This doesn't mean the Titanfall formula can't be successful, but maybe it can't be as successful as they wanted.

scoobs

Video games are in a fucked up place when you're a commercial failure after a week.

In most cases, you'll know if you're game is a success or failure based on first week sales because video game sales are very front loaded. If you're not selling much up front, there's little hope you'll make up for it later on as prices will go down.

Gorillaz

If it wasn't for Cod4 coming with IW it probaby could have done better buy that alone has people paying 20 more for a cod in 2016

The entire thing shouldn't have happened. One of the reasons these guys gonna take an L because of the game that put them on the mainstream map. Insane. Even if respawn wanted this EA should have pumped the brakes

Chris1

On one hand EA definitely fucked Respawn over. A truly dumb move.

On the other hand, tweets like that one from the TF account are truly classless, and perpetuate this industry being tacky and childish.
The tweets they're sending out makes me think it was Respawn that chose the date not EA lol

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Video games are in a fucked up place when you're a commercial failure after a week.

I'm not sure why, it's the same for films, they have a budget to make back. Games unlike films thoight don't really get a second breath on another format when they come out again digitally and physically. Games are generally front loaded and most series sell a large percentage of their total in the first week. It would be nice if it had legs because it is apparently quite a good game, but Respawn will mostly likely know how well it is going to go for the rest of the holidays at this point.

The tweets they're sending out makes me think it was Respawn that chose the date not EA lol

I feel like I saw an article in the last week or so that said exactly that, that Respawn chose the original date themselves?

barit

And I think with the crazy prices for Season Passes and Premium versions especially from EA and Activision, gamers looking now at $150 for their main FPS. I bet many would've bought both games but now they have to decide if they want the full experience or two games for that price. That's why timing is critical. Shit has become just to expensive.

killroy87

A developer almost never has much say in their release date. This was a swing and a miss by EA, for sure. Respawn is just doing what they can to salvage it (but I still think a tweet like that does little good, and just makes you look petty).

OldRoutes

I'm not sure why, it's the same for films, they have a budget to make back. Games unlike films thoight don't really get a second breath on another format when they come out again digitally and physically. Games are generally front loaded and most series sell a large percentage of their total in the first week. It would be nice if it had legs because it is apparently quite a good game, but Respawn will mostly likely know how well it is going to go for the rest of the holidays at this point.

That'd be true if Titanfall wouldn't get outsold by Skyrim. And it will.

tilomite!

I think Titanfall 2 will be a commercial success by the time the holiday season is over, based on my short playtime.

Duxxy3

Incredible game. The sales of the game will be terrible simply because of the release date. This would have been number 1, by a huge margin, if it was released anywhere in first quarter 2017 instead. Hype around BF1 and COD would have died off by then.

lt519

No one played SF1 so not alot of damage was done

Lots of people played Titanfall 1 and felt burned. Same thing is happening with watch dogs 2 looking like a sales disappointment. The same might happen to destiny 2.

Destiny 2 has a really solid chance of outselling Destiny 1.

I'll probably pick up Titanfall 2 for the Pro patch and single player campaign. I think they have a lot of sales left in them.

Justinh

I'm obviously being hyperbolic but I just find stuff like really petty and lame.

I took it as playful prodding, as I assumed that people at respawn still know people at infinity ward. Yeah though, usually I find tweets like these...

...yeah "lame," I think, is the perfect word.

It is EA's fault but to their credit between TitanFall 2 and Battlefield 1 they have the best shooters of the holiday season . Im playing both of them and I'm happy as hell with the end products. Realistically they should've released TitanFall 2 in March or the summer months so as to not cannibalize their sales.

It's an uphill battle after a Xbox-exclusive game with MP only to suddenly try to change the perception of the brand and product to be marketable to PS4 and PC players who are also interested in singleplayer.

The first game was also on PC

I also disagree with the point saying that the install base is bigger this time considering it was on 360, Xbox one, and PC last go around. The 360 probably wasn't the lead platform, and The Xbox one is in a better place, and there are presumably more PCs than before(but are digital origin sales tracked?) But I don't think install base is worth pointing out in this case

EA put this game up for EA access trial and maybe save it before christmas.

Why Respawn refused to have this game on there I truly don't understand.

Mesoian

I think Titanfall 2 will be a commercial success by the time the holiday season is over, based on my short playtime.

I do as well, but they are really going to have to put in some overtime when it comes to supporting the game post release. I like the game a lot, but the map situation is a bummer.

The online community dying so fast after TF1s release is probably contributing to the disappointing sales on XB1 and PC.

Sean

Banned
It was a really stupid idea to sandwich this right between BF1 and CoD.

MS is going all out pushing BF1 (bundles, dashboard takeover etc) and Sony is doing the same for CoD. They had no chance of standing out from those two juggernauts.

I found the SP campaign to be amazing, it truly deserves much better sales. Shame that it was screwed over by a stupid release date.

OldRoutes

The first game being an Xbox Exclusive damaged this IP.

What do you mean by this? That'd be true for any exclusive title, wouldn't it? I don't think it's fair to say an IP is damaged by being exclusive... Final Fantasy certainly never suffered that. Titanfall 2 is allegedly also selling LESS than the previous title, so I don't know if there's any correlation at all.

timberger

I think a lot of people getting burned by Titanfall 1 being a full priced multiplayer only title that was seriously lacking in content at launch that they only bought into because the sheer scale of the MS/EA hype machine is a big part of the reason no one took any notice of Titanfall 2, which is a massive improvement on the original in every department. Once bitten, twice shy.

Another big reason of course is EA launching the game against their own fucking premier shooter's latest entry. Which I cannot get my head around at all.

I still think it's a case of EA not being confident in BF1 and thinking Titanfall 2 was safer in the current climate of shooters. Even in the marketing, BF1 info was stepping on TF2's coverage as news hit.
Yea, that's definitely not the case. Battlefield is a WELL established series. Didn't Battlefield 4 sell like 13-15 million copies? Respawn wished it could sell that many copies of TitanFall.

Top Bottom