• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GI.biz Op-Ed: Titanfall 2 a "commercial failure," "a victim of chest-beating pride."

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Isn't that 1 day versus a whole week?

And from what I know, doesn't count digital, no?

EA's latest financials did say that TF2 PC sales were OK, right? Again, I don't doubt that its sales could be better, but writing it off just a week after launch, and with Black Friday and Christmas around the corner, is kinda a bit too extreme. Most people within the industry I've talked to say that Black Friday, Christmas sales make up for whatever Q1 can do. Not saying it's 100 percent correct, but it's a common thought process that I believe has been studied by publishers.

The good thing is, TF2 player population seems to have settled and isn't shrinking, which is the primary concern of many. It won't hit BF1, CoD numbers, but a franchise's first multi-platform release and its only second-ever title? Yeah, not bad. BF and CoD have been in the market and minds of people for what? Over a decade now.

kuYuri

Eh, who has spoken? Unless I'm mistaken, its player base hasn't been affected by Infinite Warfare at all (at least from player population), and it seems to be rising (even if it's slow). I wouldn't count it out just yet with Black Friday, Christmas right around the corner, and game awards happening later this year.

Exactly what I said since the entire article seems to base its sales data on that analyst report on how TF2's sales will "disappoint" by "only" selling 5-6m instead of 9m. Mind, I think 5-6m is still a good number. And I know for a fact that TF2 doesn't cost as much to make as a CoD game.

I would say the same thing with just about any game, but that doesn't stop people from saying things like "CoD is going to die this year!" every single year. So by the internet's definition, Titanfall 2 is already dead.
🤷 🤷 ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Boss Mog

Calling a game that just came out a week ago a commercial failure is stupid , especially when the holiday season is almost here and so many people wait to get good deals. Also I feel that a lot of people wanted to wait for the reviews, myself included, to find out if the campaign was actually any good or if it was just tacked on. The reviews for the game have been stellar (90 on Metacritic) and with word of mouth I have no doubt that Titanfall 2 will sell well over the holidays.

It's a failure compared to the pervious game's sales though. We should probably wait for US sales but the fact that they lowered projections isn't exactly comforting. (Unless I'm missing something)

Does that mean the game is an actual commercial failure? Depends on the player base and the sales count after a month's time. But compared to the previous game the latter isn't looking great.

Chris1

Isn't that 1 day versus a whole week?

No it's Friday + Saturday for both.

Titanfall 1 and 2 both launched on a Friday.

Anyways, I think the hardest part for Titanfall 2 is over with now. The player base stayed steady and didn't lose players going off the player counters with CoD's launch yesterday. CoD was the real test IMO now it just needs to work on getting people to buy the game through free trials and getting the free DLC out there.

Alo0oy

Banned
It was a gamble that didn't pay off. People are forgetting that EA tried the same thing with Battlefield 3, it was a niche franchise, but they released BF3 head-to-head against CoD, while it didn't sell as much as CoD, the franchise grew substantially.

Wasn't everyone saying that making the first game exclusive to the lowest selling console would do long-term damage to the series? It will never sell the numbers EA wants it to.

iMax

We already have UK data. And that generally tends to be like the mini-US in terms of sales (with the occasional title leaning a bit more US or UK like).

In the UK, Titanfall 2 bombed. I'm pretty sure it sold less then the XB1 version of ROTR last year at launch.

It's such a massive drop off from TF1 in UK sales, it's actually kind of insane.

It is worth noting that UK data does not include digital sales—and that digital adoption is likely more prevalent now than it was in 2014.

Wasn't everyone saying that making the first game exclusive to the lowest selling console would do long-term damage to the series? It will never sell the numbers EA wants it to.

Titanfall 1 would never have gotten the push it did without MS' exclusivity marketing machine behind it. Being multiplat back then might have made it sell worse.

It is worth noting that UK data does not include digital sales—and that digital adoption is likely more prevalent now than it was in 2014.

Even if it's 30% extra with digital, we are still only looking at a measly 40k in the UK week 1. Which is still comically bad.

Even if the franchise returns, we won't ever be seeing it go up against the big hitters again. It'll need an early in the year launch and some good marketing and absolute mind blowing reviews to turn it back round even just to get where it launched originally. Which EA would absolute kill for right now.

JarrodL

That's a shame, I've been hearing good things about the campaign which is what I wanted to see in the first game to be interested. I'd buy it in a heartbeat right now if it wasn't for typical EA bullshit which won't let me get an english version through their Origin store.

Vitor711

Even if it's 30% extra with digital, we are still only looking at a measly 40k in the UK week 1. Which is still comically bad.

Even if the franchise returns, we won't ever be seeing it go up against the big hitters again. It'll need an early in the year launch and some good marketing and absolute mind blowing reviews to turn it back round even just to get where it launched originally. Which EA would absolute kill for right now.

TitanFall 2 didn't have a full week in the charts like the first game. The time difference doesn't make up the lost sales (not even close) but it's definitely a factor.

TitanFall 2 didn't have a full week in the charts like the first game. The time difference doesn't make up the lost sales (not even close) but it's definitely a factor.

It was apparently Mar 14 release in the U.K. So that was a Friday as well. But besides it wouldn't have made much difference either. It's not going to make up nearly 100k difference with stronger digital and a few extra days.

Matt

Boss★Moogle;223092883 said:
Calling a game that just came out a week ago a commercial failure is stupid , especially when the holiday season is almost here and so many people wait to get good deals. Also I feel that a lot of people wanted to wait for the reviews, myself included, to find out if the campaign was actually any good or if it was just tacked on. The reviews for the game have been stellar (90 on Metacritic) and with word of mouth I have no doubt that Titanfall 2 will sell well over the holidays.
It's really not.

That doesn't mean that games can't have an abnormally long tail or strong catalog sales, or that an occasional aberration does not happen, but you can tell A LOT about a game's sales (most especially a AAA game) after only a few days.

c0de

The worst thing is that the game itself seems absolutely amazing and the biggest negative of the first game is not there anymore - it now has a campaign. And apparently a very good one, too!

RibMan

It's way too early to call. There is a massive boost in game sales during the holidays. If the numbers still look bad in February then yeah, they goofed.

True. The holidays could indeed lead to a large influx of new users.

I think it will come down to the holiday pricing + the Black Friday competition. If they can get the price down to $29.99 then it could do very well, and if the COD and BF1 deals sell out then I can see people opting for TF2.

Xater

Everyone involved in the decision to release Titanfall 2 when it was released made huge mistake. Even if you don't know exactly when BF and COD release you can ballpark it very easily. It's not like we don't have years of releases to look back to or anything...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Perhaps it's been pointed out already, but it's kind of hard to take an article about Respawn seriously if they think Jason West still works there.

Drake

Honestly, they have no one to blame but themselves. They offered such little value in the 1st Titanfall that there was no way I was gonna buy the 2nd. I think a lot of people felt the same.

Finally read the article,and I have a few issues. For one, as other people noted, he refers to Titanfall 2 as the first failure for West and Zampella, which makes it sound like he doesn't know West is no longer part of Respawn. Then he refers to Titanfall as an Xbox One exclusive, which was never the case. And then he says that Titanfall 1 was somewhat overshadowed by Destiny, which I don't really agree with. I mean, they launched about 6 months apart and I remember Titanfall having plenty of time in the limelight. Then of course there's the whole idea of calling the game a flop based only on the UK sales (which may be true, but I think we need to wait for more information), and saying it's likely the end of the franchise, which was never likely to happen.

I've never really liked Rob Fahey's articles like this. There's always something I find rather smug and presumptuous about them.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
make a shallow first game and people don't come back for the sequel? what a shock

Huh? People didn't come back because that Beta showed fans of the original that Respawn didn't actually know what made the original great in the first place.

Seems to happen a lot. The most frustrating part is that Respawn actually did fix everything we asked for from 1 to 2. But then they kept on changing stuff that should have remained unchanged.

Shame too because by all accounts the campaign is great.

I plan on getting TF2 sometime, but ultimately I haven't gotten it because it came out in the middle of so many other damn games this holiday season. I really wish there was a spring(march) release date like the first one honestly.

atpbx

EA put this game up for EA access trial and maybe save it before christmas.

Why Respawn refused to have this game on there I truly don't understand.

For me Titan Fall 2 should of gone straight to Origin/EA access as a persistent entry and funded it ongoing with Micro transactions.

It will be dead in a few months as it stands.

The reason I've gone back to playing BF4 is it's on access along with Hardline and all the DLCS that go with it, when they put Star Wars on there I will play that too.
These multiplayer heavy titles need to move past the $60/$110 BTP models, especially those backed by the big publishers.

For £4 a month it's going to take me 2 years to pay what they are asking for BF4 premium on its own, which I would never of bought.

wildfire

Banned
People should note that this is an opinion piece and that we don't have any hard numbers on sales figures.

A gamebiz editor wouldn't get advanced notice of sales trends? Yeah ok. Keep dreaming that. It's like saying the Wall Street Journal doesn't get heads up on sales projections. This is their wheelhouse.

HariKari

Are you not allowed to buy a game a month+ after release? Titanfall 2 is strong, while COD this year is weak as ever. I think it has more to do with the first Titanfall being a really weak offering and that spoiling the party for the sequel.

The industry really needs to move away from the fixation on first month sales and more towards a sustained community.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
A gamebiz editor wouldn't get advanced notice of sales trends? Yeah ok. Keep dreaming that. It's like saying the Wall Street Journal doesn't get heads up on sales projections. This is their wheelhouse.

Really? I've been working in games media for more than half a decade now and I haven't seen any outlet get exclusive sales data. Those aren't the things usually tied up by embargo.

An op-ed is sometimes just that, an op-ed.

It's release window is what stopped me from getting it. I just picked up BF1 and have been looking forward to Dishonored 2 since I beat the first that I just don't care to play another shooter between those two.

If it had come out in January or February I'd be on board as I enjoyed the first one enough and it seems like they addressed the issues I had with the first one. As it is, I'll just wait until I've exhausted the games I have and pick up TF2 some time in the future and hope the community is still their.

Schlorgan

It would be nice if he quoted more concrete numbers than just those of one region (a region where a lot of big games haven't been doing well in this year) and didn't have as many factual errors in the article.

For me Titan Fall 2 should of gone straight to Origin/EA access as a persistent entry and funded it ongoing with Micro transactions.

It will be dead in a few months as it stands.
No, the game is fine for being a full priced title.

What EA should've done is delay the game by ~4 months and in that time Respawn could've added an arcade mode to the story and tweaked the multiplayer including its maps and Attrition mode.

EA fucked up hard here and the only way to make up for it is giving Respawn all the time and moneys to make Titanfall 3 and adding more promo skins from like Wendy's or 7-11 because they look so cool

Trup1aya

EA should have just let TitanFall own the spring.

It got amazing reviews, but it's still a new franchise and can't compete with COD. Reading the investors call, it sounds like EA though TF could steal CODs thunder as this seasons futuristic shooter.

I see people trying to rationalize these poor results. This title, released across PC, PS4, and Xb1, has failed to garner as much as it's predecessors xb1 offering when it's all added up.

Sequels are supposed to bring growth. This franchise has contracted.

I loved TF1. Haven't bought this yet, because the tech test turned me off, then the release date further complicated matters.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I think the lack of post-sale monetization features in the game speaks volumes about what EA expected it to perform like. If they anticipated a big response, I kinda think they'd have leaned harder on it.

I suspect at some point through development they basically concluded that as a franchise it really didn't have a future, and that IW as an asset would be far better employed working on something that would sell better. "Chest-beating pride" had nothing to do with it.

KahooTs

I dream of a world where the only games that exists are rehashes of other franchises and the medium has no purpose other than to sell other products.

I dream of a world where 'stories' as terrible as what these people are responsible for get laughed out of existence instead of hamstringing otherwise commendable work.

Titanfall 1 would never have gotten the push it did without MS' exclusivity marketing machine behind it. Being multiplat back then might have made it sell worse.

Either way, it wouldn't have had the stigma of being a "Xbox shooter". Often when deals like this are made people who own the platform a game isn't on turn on blinders to that series even when that series eventually comes to their platform. Sometimes this is the result of misguided brand loyalty (on both sides) but sometimes its not. Anecdotal evidence of people turning on blinders to this game are in some of the comments in some of the Titanfall 2 threads here on Neogaf where people have commented that they had no idea Titanfall 2 was even coming to PS4.

Having said that, there isn't just one reason why Titanfall 2 has sold less than expected. It's a combination of things. It's a victim of it's release date, a (unwarranted) mostly negative reaction to the beta, a brand association problem and misguided brand loyalty are all reasons why it hasn't sold super well.

Keasar

I've said it before and I stand by it.

EA's marketing department is run by monkeys.
6013-v.jpg

Same idiots who thought it was a good idea to focus test Overstrike to death and make it into Fuse instead cause "edgy".

SilentRob

I still believe that quality sells. It didnt have a good start but you never know.

I'm not sure where that believe comes from to be honest...there are countless critically acclaimed games, movies, shows nobody doubts the quality of that didn't sell.

I am hoping for a Rainbow Six: Siege situation here, too, though.

I still believe that quality sells. It didnt have a good start but you never know.

I've convinced five people to buy it that I know and play online with this week. It sounds like others are doing the same. I've said it already this game is going to have a slowburn but it's going to do well.

I loved TF1. Thought it was the most fun I've had in a shooter in years (and then Overwatch got that title soon after). I'm so sad that I mostly ignored it because it was such an obvious bomba being released when it was. The game practically screamed for like a March/April release. Now it will die and be forgotten :(

Top Bottom