• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
In his defense, the (lousy) re-dub attempted to "fix" the issues from the original, which primarily resulted in everybody calling him Canada. That, and replacing Cam Clarke as Kaneda. :\

Honestly both dubs suck but at least the 80s version had a kind of naive, clumsy charm.

lol

lol part 2

Xater

In his defense, the (lousy) re-dub attempted to "fix" the issues from the original, which primarily resulted in everybody calling him Canada. That, and replacing Cam Clarke as Kaneda. :\

Honestly both dubs suck but at least the 80s version had a kind of naive, clumsy charm.

I have never seen the English dub. The German one didn't have this issue and after that one time I have only ever seen it in Japanese.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Honestly though, MGS is settling into a breaking brad sort of rhythm and I'm enjoying that aspect.

Just let drew's misery wash over you and enjoy it.

Honestly though, MGS is settling into a breaking brad sort of rhythm and I'm enjoying that aspect.

Just let drew's misery wash over you and enjoy it.

Sorry, I can't enjoy it, I visit WWW DOT GIANTBOMB DOT COM exclusively to see highly skilled people play games they're good at.

Antiwhippy

We just need drew to produce cultural hallmarks on the level of "GOD FUCK" and "Max doesn't count".

Honestly though this is just me mostly missing breaking brad and am glad that MGScanlon in replacing that hole in my heart.

Zaph

drewenteringaroominmgs2.gif

tumblr_mggputSMyu1qc2bleo4_250.gif

This just killed me.

MGS2 as a whole is brilliant but these videos show how lousy the Big Shell is as an environment.

I've softened to a lot of stuff in MGS2 that I didn't like before, but the whole running around the Big Shell defusing bombs section still sucks and is boring. it's probably the worst stretch in any MGS game by a good margin.

Big-E

Enjoyed watching the first MGS but I am not liking them playing MGS2. Dan seems to be forgetting pretty much everything so he is useless. Drew has more options to get rid of guards in this game, yet he is doing worse than MGS1. Some of the upcoming sections are going to be a struggle. I don't think they are going to finish this any time soon.

Enjoyed watching the first MGS but I am not liking them playing MGS2. Dan seems to be forgetting pretty much everything so he is useless. Drew has more options to get rid of guards in this game, yet he is doing worse than MGS1. Some of the upcoming sections are going to be a struggle. I don't think they are going to finish this any time soon.

If Drew wants to wrap his head around the game's mechanics, then maybe they should give the VR missions a shot, especially given that he's taking 4-5 day breaks in-between some episodes. It seems that drew barely had a handle on the MGS1 mechanics by the end of that game, and it seems he hasn't really done a good job adjusting to these changes.

If this continues, he's going to get destroyed in MGS3.

I agree, watching Drew get his ass handed to him is frustrating, but, if he just blew through these sections, it would be almost nothing but Dan and him watching cut-scenes, which doesn't sound fun. I like watching someone discover all the gameplay side of MGS2 for the first time, and struggle with it in a way I haven't struggled with it in more than a decade.

But yeah, MGS2 is gonna take them like a hundred episodes at this point, and I REALLY hope that doesn't put Drew off from MGS3. That's all I want from this series, is them getting to at least there.

Moldiver

The first part of that quick look was horrible, character models look like ass and the amount of reused assets in the small portion of active crowd is too damn high!

Still, I've fancied a new wrestling game for ages.

naw, i don't think anyone is turning on him, it's just so hard to watch someone struggle with a game that's over a decade old and feels simple to many of us. It's the same thing that happened with the Brono Trigger ER, only they were even worse during that ER because they were straight up ignoring game prompts and then blaming the game for them not understanding what's happening.

Drew seems to legitimately be paying attention, but he's really overthinking things. Like when he stepped outside and saw the hovering camera, he approached it by hoping it wouldn't see him and also thinking that it might be impervious to direct attacks. Me? When i played it, my first reaction was to shoot the shit out of it because i wanted to know if it could be destroyed.

He's so terrified of getting an alert that it's impairing how he plays and making him too conservative, which is like the opposite of how one should approach these games. they want you to fuck around, to experiment, to try everything and see what sticks.

Xater

naw, i don't think anyone is turning on him, it's just so hard to watch someone struggle with a game that's over a decade old and feels simple to many of us. It's the same thing that happened with the Brono Trigger ER, only they were even worse during that ER because they were straight up ignoring game prompts and then blaming the game for them not understanding what's happening.

Drew seems to legitimately be paying attention, but he's really overthinking things. Like when he stepped outside and saw the hovering camera, he approached it by hoping it wouldn't see him and also thinking that it might be impervious to direct attacks. Me? When i played it, my first reaction was to shoot the shit out of it because i wanted to know if it could be destroyed.

He's so terrified of getting an alert that it's impairing how he plays and making him too conservative, which is like the opposite of how one should approach these games. they want you to fuck around, to experiment, to try everything and see what sticks.

Well because so far an alert for him has been a death sentence. He never learned ho to effectively escape.

Antiwhippy

I think drew forgot just how essential the cardboard box it.

They didn't put out a whole trailer for it in the Phantom Pain for nothing.

stealth in MGS is kind of counter-intuitive though because trying to Splinter Cell your way around will just result in people waking up or being discovered. In a lot of cases, speed is your friend, just rushing up and disabling people before they can sound alarms. Drew's caution is actually actively making it harder for him.

What IS Drew's gaming background? I was dying at the part when he's like "people probably don't thing I even PLAY games, and I get that! Because this game is making me look like an idiot", but it got me curious. What does Drew actually like to play?

What IS Drew's gaming background? I was dying at the part when he's like "people probably don't thing I even PLAY games, and I get that! Because this game is making me look like an idiot", but it got me curious. What does Drew actually like to play?

He seems to primarily play strategy, racing and sim games... and Halo.

daydream

Banned
stealth in MGS is kind of counter-intuitive though because trying to Splinter Cell your way around will just result in people waking up or being discovered. In a lot of cases, speed is your friend, just rushing up and disabling people before they can sound alarms. Drew's caution is actually actively making it harder for him.

Only having one default walking speed was what threw me off when I tried my hand at MGS (the first instance of that being a Playstation Magazine demo of Snake Eater). I was just too used to SC at that point. Although I'm not sure if Drew has played SC.

Myggen

You sucks!

>=(

I love Drew! Didn't mean it, I swear :(

Watching the WWE 2k15 QL (which is pretty great btw, the QL not the game I mean), and I still can't believe that the story creator is stripped out of the game. Even if this was probably 2K's decision, I'm still gonna blame Yuke's. Fuck you, Yuke's.

HawkeyeFIN

Neo Member
Only 10 minutes into MGScanlon part 5, but goddamn.. There is a complete lack of understanding of things he should already know by now on display here.

Love the series but it's getting harder to watch each episode. Like, he can't be trying, right?

Kimaka

I dunno, Dany M might not be against drew sucking.

6pYpKN9.gif

Metal Gear Scanlon just isn't fun to watch anymore.

I still like it but I would be fine if Jason or Dan keep constantly reminding Drew to get the nodes and to use the M9. He takes a while to get into the groove each episode.

Edit: Or that the cone visions on the map are accurate. He is still really hesitant about getting close to guards.

Liamc723

I still like it but I would be fine if Jason or Dan keep constantly reminding Drew to get the nodes and to use the M9. He takes a while to get into the groove each episode.

I'd love it if they swapped Dan out for Jason, at least then Drew would have some guidance for MGS2.

Antiwhippy

Only 10 minutes into MGScanlon part 5, but goddamn.. There is a complete lack of understanding of things he should already know by now on display here.

Love the series but it's getting harder to watch each episode. Like, he can't be trying, right?

Spending days not playing a game does that to someone.

Especially with a controls intensive game like MGS2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom