• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the over/under on people here keeping up with Waypoint? I had been listening to the podcast regularly but it doesn't really grab me for some reason I can't quite put my finger on. I think I might give it a rest.

Vinny really is the podcast glue, I guess.

I probably won't tune in to the streams much but I'll keep listening to the podcast as long as they can figure out their rhythm and turn it into more than the Austin Walker Monologue Hour. I love the dude but damn.

I keep listening to an episode of Waypoint's podcast every couple weeks, and it's just not good. I like hearing what Austin has to say about things, but I don't really need Patrick's "yeah me too" afterwards every time. Other folks on the podcast seem utterly superfluous.

Mr. F

Banned
I probably won't tune in to the streams much but I'll keep listening to the podcast as long as they can figure out their rhythm and turn it into more than the Austin Walker Monologue Hour. I love the dude but damn.

I think I'll give it a rest for a while and check back in a couple of months to see if the rhythm stuff worked itself out. It's also kind of odd how bad it sounds sometimes when they have a dedicated engineer for every recording.

I keep listening to an episode of Waypoint's podcast every couple weeks, and it's just not good. I like hearing what Austin has to say about things, but I don't really need Patrick's "yeah me too" afterwards every time. Other folks on the podcast seem utterly superfluous.

That's probably the biggest thing, there's a lot of personality overlap that ends up being an hour of echo chambering. Nobody really challenges each other. Also drink every time something is "interesting" or "fascinating"

I see they're still putting out videos from that 72 hour stream and not much else?
I like the articles though.

Yeah if anything, I will say I've enjoyed some of the editorial stuff and long form articles. I hope the ambition carries over into video pieces, would be a good way to take advantage of Vice's resources. The one before Waypoint launched featuring the Hyper Light Drifter developers was well done.

Actual best moments:

Hitman-
walking the catwalk
Inside-
the blob sequence
The Witness-
realising that environmental puzzles exist

My man here's got it. I would add the Titanfall part or hell, even Pony Island
realizing you're trapped inside a goddamn arcade cabinet
if any of them bother to vouch for that game.

How much political talk is on the podcast?

I basically share their political views but don't really wanna hear them talk about it.

Not really much. There was a little post election but that was it.

Its basically exactly what you think a Patrick and Austin podcast would be. Its fun. Sometimes up its own ass in the ways you would expect but ya know.. So far I have been listening to it for a while and its EXACTLY what you might expect.

Oh and Danielle is cool too. (seriously. that women works at Waypoint, volunteers as a ambulance driver, is way into running and teaches a class in game design somewhere? Does she not sleep or something?)

Jintor

Its basically exactly what you think a Patrick and Austin podcast would be. Its fun. Sometimes up its own ass in the ways you would expect but ya know.. So far I have been listening to it for a while and its EXACTLY what you might expect.

Oh and Danielle is cool too. (seriously. that women works at Waypoint, volunteers as a ambulance driver, is way into running and teaches a class in game design somewhere? Does she not sleep or something?)

And boxes

Peru

I don't listen to the Waypoint podcast much but there are some good articles and whenever they stream it's great. They should probably develop some of the written article ideas into video content.

Scizzy

Hearing Vinny blow up at Windows 10 on the latest Bombcast is the most I've laughed at one of his bits in recent memory.

Sakwoff

Autoplay is so infuriating, CNET is the fucking worst

So many big websites are SO BAD when it comes to using them.

I recently found myself visiting IGN and that shit is just baffling. Like, in every way. Design, usability, navigation... just a total mess.

chrixter

There's been lots of praise for Titanfall 2's Effect and Cause, and deservedly so, but I think Dishonored 2 makes stronger use of that mechanic. Unfortunately, it won't be discussed unless Jason has played that far and brings it up, but it definitely deserves mention as one of the best moments/sequences of 2016.

Does Pokémon Sun & Moon take a while to open up? I'm about an hour in and it feels like I'm still in prologue.
It takes a little bit, yeah. It's always progression-focused from moment to moment, but when you get off the first island it holds onto the reins a lot looser. There's also a tonne of stuff on the first island that you can't see until you've been through it the first time that you're free to explore at that point.

So does TLG have some super special Journey-like experience that is enthralling people or what? Because the QL made it look awful. I dunno if I'm just biased against it or what, but I feel like Dan, Vinny, and Alex were all desperately searching for ways to praise it. Can't help but feel that if it was a different game from a different developer it'd be getting a lot of, "it's ambitious, but..." moments.

That camera, man. Ugh. It's either behind the action or clipping through a wall, with little respite.

I haven't played any Team Ico games, if that matters.

This is a good summary of the Woopcast. I just wish it was longer.

I'll admit that it has a lower priority than Giant Bomb's 'casts, but I dunno if it will be that way forever. Dan going to Beast is going to be a mortal blow to the Beastcast; it'll mostly depend on who joins Bwest at some point in the future.

That Star Wars: Battlefront PSVR thing was really neat. I just wish Battlefront (both VR and regular) had an option for more free-form flying. The controls should make it easier for my family to grasp, though. The demo to Eve: Valkyrie was too complicated for them (with needing to use both sticks). With Battlefront, you just need to use the right-stick to go up, down, left, and right. You can't do advanced maneuvers such as an Immelmann turn, which would be awesome in 3D (I hope War Thunder's announced PSVR component comes out soon, if ever).

Johndoey

Banned
It takes a little bit, yeah. It's always progression-focused from moment to moment, but when you get off the first island it holds onto the reins a lot looser. There's also a tonne of stuff on the first island that you can't see until you've been through it the first time that you're free to explore at that point.
Okay that's what I thought, I'll keep pushing through.

my only issue is that one can only listen to so much Dishonored talk before it gets grating. I guess it didnt help that i listened to 4 eps back to back...

Seeing that it was Jeff's first FF game, I'm happy to see that on his list. And of course its a slideshow :p

I'll admit that it has a lower priority than Giant Bomb's 'casts, but I dunno if it will be that way forever. Dan going to Beast is going to be a mortal blow to the Beastcast; it'll mostly depend on who joins Bwest at some point in the future.

The mortal blow is going to be dealt to the West Coast as a whole, not the Beastcast.

kai3345

Banned
The mortal blow is going to be dealt to the West Coast as a whole, not the Beastcast.

Yeah, East is already pretty much my go-to podcast at this point. Dan moving is the final nail in the bombcast's coffin IMO

Edit - Unless of course some new people come in and breathe some life into that show

FStop7

Banned

But Dan was on the Beastcast during his month visit and it was fine.

Chumley

Banned
Yeah, East is already pretty much my go-to podcast at this point. Dan moving is the final nail in the bombcast's coffin IMO

Edit - Unless of course some new people come in and breathe some life into that show

I still love the Bombcast for Jeff's occasional rants.

Austin-era Beastcast was better than the Bombcast, but I think they've gotten a little lost without him. Bombcast has settled into a pretty consistent level of good quality after the Dan-just-got-here golden era

Let it Die is surprisingly good. Deserves to be in Best Style (but Superhot will probably take it).

And yes, Austin's Beastcast run was one of my favorite podcast eras.

So does TLG have some super special Journey-like experience that is enthralling people or what? Because the QL made it look awful. I dunno if I'm just biased against it or what, but I feel like Dan, Vinny, and Alex were all desperately searching for ways to praise it. Can't help but feel that if it was a different game from a different developer it'd be getting a lot of, "it's ambitious, but..." moments.

That camera, man. Ugh. It's either behind the action or clipping through a wall, with little respite.

I haven't played any Team Ico games, if that matters.

I am enthralled. There are "magical" moments in this game, in the vein of Journey/Abzu. And you can't use the qualifier of "if it was made by different developer" because no other developer would have made this game. It would be struck down in it's inception because of how niche it is compared to the costs to make it.

What's the over/under on people here keeping up with Waypoint? I had been listening to the podcast regularly but it doesn't really grab me for some reason I can't quite put my finger on. I think I might give it a rest.

Vinny really is the podcast glue, I guess.

Too millenial for me, and not enough old games talk.

Well look at that

A Giant Bomb user who lurks this thread contacted me to tell me he had the full bombcast from August 7th 2012. He sent it to me.

I will listen to it and report back later with what has been cut.

Hrm? What's this?

Yeah. What made the beastcast w/Austin great is that they all have differing opinions, and Vinny could play the straightman towards Austin and have him go in deeper in explaining things.

Well look at that

A Giant Bomb user who lurks this thread contacted me to tell me he had the full bombcast from August 7th 2012. He sent it to me.

I will listen to it and report back later with what has been cut.

is that the one where they made fun of people's bad resumes?

Not long after Ryan uploaded the podcast on that day, he took it down and uploaded it again with around three minutes cut. I listened to both. For some reason, I decided to delete the original and keep the updated one.

is that the one where they made fun of people's bad resumes?

I have no idea. I only remember EA being mentioned somehow.

Chloe is Australian, like the voice actor who plays her. I would send this info to the Bombcast's corrections segment, but it does not exist.

http://uncharted.wikia.com/wiki/Chloe_Frazer
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claudia_Black

Actually during the Uncharted: The Lost Legacy panel at PSX, the creators of the game said Chloe is also partly Indian, which is where the game takes place. They also said it was not a prologue to Uncharted 4. It will be interesting if Nadine mentions any of the events of Uncharted 4.

I really tried with the waypoint podcast, but apart from Austin, I don't find anyone else an engaging personality. Ryan really brought out the best in Patrick, but he's just a little too dry for me without that glue. I like Danielle on a lot of other content too, but it just doesn't work for me on the waypoint podcast.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I think they need a Bakalar. And that person should be host, too. You can't have the most rambley person an the crew dictate its pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom