• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Yeah, they are never ready for anyone to actually be prepared and take it seriously. That's the secret to success.

Also something I hope to never see again. (That's not meant as a dig against Austin, I just like the free-flowing nature of the GotY podcasts way more).

Meneses

?

Austin gave a well thought out argument for invisible ink, more than anyone else gave for their favorites.

And nobody else cared for it or maybe even played the game at all. It was a "sure, put your game in there" moment if there ever was one.

If Dan had come up with an ode to "Super Action Man vs Oompa Loompa Party 15" Jeff (especially last year's Jeff Shady Gerstmanneuvre) would probably just go "Yeah, that's cute. Fuck off".

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Everyone on the team is great, it's just that Rorie is the best of them all.

Now there's an opinion that's factually correct.

Jason seems like a great guy and he's really good at production but I think he's an active detriment to the podcast when he's on it.

He really doesn't talk that much on the podcast though...without him it would be 40% Brad, 40% Jeff and 19,5% Dan.

Bacon

Jason seems like a great guy and he's really good at production but I think he's an active detriment to the podcast when he's on it.

Yeah Jason is a nice guy.

A really, really boring nice guy who should just stick to producing. Drew is great on content, Jason isn't the same type of personality.

Johndoey

Banned
It's not Jason is a time sink, he mentions whatever anime game he's on currently, and maybe a bit of Dan related input near the end of the podcast.

I agree. I don't wanna come off as harsh on him as a person but he just brings nothing to the table in terms of interesting discussion. I don't enjoy him on QLs either.

Phediuk

Pretty much the only time Jason contributes anything is when the podcast goes through its weekly 2 minutes of anime talk and he's inevitably familiar with the show or game in question.

Otherwise, his interests don't overlap much with the GB crew. Maybe he should join the 8-4 guys lol.

Superhot VR is fucking awesome.

Celebratory gif for 10,000th post.
midE3L4.gif

popo

You will be glad of Jason when the QL pool drops to Jeff, Brad and the occasional Drew.

I can relate to Jason, that's probably how I would be with a kid. Lost, confused, stressed

It is his second kid. Although I don't know how much baby experience he got when he was a dad at 15 or whatever it was.

And nobody else cared for it or maybe even played the game at all. It was a "sure, put your game in there" moment if there ever was one.

If Dan had come up with an ode to "Super Action Man vs Oompa Loompa Party 15" Jeff (especially last year's Jeff Shady Gerstmanneuvre) would probably just go "Yeah, that's cute. Fuck off".

Nobody made a well thought out plea for any game on the list, aside from other people arguing for Kerbal for Vinny and even then it wasnt more than "that sure was fun". I knkw you dont care for Austin but dont act lime he didnt make a well reasoned argument for its place on the top 10 list.

You will be glad of Jason when the QL pool drops to Jeff, Brad and the occasional Drew.

I would prefer any combo without Jason to any combo with Jason.

But yes, West is about to hit an all-time low in terms of quality.

Good thing they're already practising not putting out content at least!

Peru

Jason is wholeheartedly enthusiastic about some types of games the others don't care about, that's a pretty important contribution. Dude's cool.

Johndoey

Banned
Jason's eternal, passive aggressive feud with Dan is the low key best current GB storyline.

If you want to see a feud with Dan go check out the Gameinformer Ninja Gaiden Super Replay.
---
Tim Turi is great and the fact he's in a position where he isn't on camera as much is near criminal.

bjork

Jason is bad fucking ass. He slides in with his two cents when it's relevant and he makes me want to just relax and it's cool, man.

Not everyone needs to be like "hey I barfed kraft orange shit and let off stink bombs and look at my dumbass face and stupid waluigi signs at wrassle ppvs" to be entertaining.

Also Drew is the king.

Nobody on Giant Bomb does really.

And - as we've discussed before - none of the Giant Bomb staff are good writers anyway. Hell, there's about a dozen decent writers in the video game industry, probably.

Nobody on Giant Bomb does really.

And - as we've discussed before - none of the Giant Bomb staff are good writers anyway. Hell, there's about a dozen decent writers in the video game industry, probably.

Ryan was, rest his soul. Dude could turn a phrase.

But yeah there are SOME good games writers but very few of them write reviews or are actually employed as games writers. Austin's one of the best ones for sure. I adore Jenn Frank's writing, Cara Ellison is great too. Cameron Kunzelman and Michael Lutz are very good. That's just about the extent of my personal shortlist.

Jason is wholeheartedly enthusiastic about some types of games the others don't care about, that's a pretty important contribution. Dude's cool.

Agreed 100%. He doesn't chime in a ton but I definitely appreciate when he does. I also have liked most of the QL's he has been in.

Jason is bad fucking ass. He slides in with his two cents when it's relevant and he makes me want to just relax and it's cool, man.

Not everyone needs to be like "hey I barfed kraft orange shit and let off stink bombs and look at my dumbass face and stupid waluigi signs at wrassle ppvs" to be entertaining.

Also Drew is the king.

I don't need more Dans, but I don't know that I need "yeah I played Super Shitty Anime Titty Time Monster Hunter 2 and I know what you're thinking but it's actually really good guys, promise" either.

I like Jason but I have to agree that he doesn't really add a whole lot to the Bombcast.

I don't need more Dans, but I don't know that I need "yeah I played Super Shitty Anime Titty Time Monster Hunter 2 and I know what you're thinking but it's actually really good guys, promise" either.

I like Jason but I have to agree that he doesn't really add a whole lot to the Bombcast.

I'd be fine with it if he had something interesting to say about it other than "it's good and I like it." He's just... whatever the opposite of eloquent is (and no, the irony of this statement doesn't escape me). Also, I don't like the sound of his voice, but that's not really his fault.

bjork

You guys are gonna love it when I start there next month.

"What did you play, bjork?" Then I talk about Apple II games every week, and phone games.

Mr. F

Banned
I find myself fast forwarding through Jason segments on the podcast. I guess it's good for those who share his interests, but the games he plays aren't on my radar at all and he never has anything particularly interesting to say about them. Ends up being bland listening.

It always kind of feels like the others are politely/patiently waiting for him to wrap it up because nobody has anything to say when the 9th God Eater 2 update comes around.

Jason's eternal, passive aggressive feud with Dan is the low key best current GB storyline.

Not so low-key worst. The forced anger/bickering is annoying when it comes up

kingocfs

I find myself fast forwarding through Jason segments on the podcast. I guess it's good for those who share his interests, but the games he plays aren't on my radar at all and he never has anything particularly interesting to say about them. Ends up being bland listening.

It always kind of feels like the others are politely/patiently waiting for him to wrap it up because nobody has anything to say when the 9th God Eater 2 update comes around.

I definitely don't share his interests in games, but that's precisely why he's an asset to the podcast. I want to hear people talk about the games they love, especially the ones I won't play.

daveo42

Banned
Jason has already said he's not going to push for God Eater at GOTY.

He'll still give it a nod on the podcast before being ushered quickly off. I mean, what else can he pull for here. I'm drawing some blanks on what his dark horse could be this year. FF maybe? I'll also amend Alex's to Thumper. He seems the most behind that game over anyone else on the Crew.

SSATTMH2 should totally be on the top 10

It would easily make GAF's list

Top 10? That's their #1 game of 2016.

Mr. F

Banned
I definitely don't share his interests in games, but that's precisely why he's an asset to the podcast. I want to hear people talk about the games they love, especially the ones I won't play.

I value that too don't get me wrong, but the ability to talk about it in an engaging way makes all the difference. A lot of the time when Jason brings a game on it's mostly blanket praise with a few details here and there. The difference between how he talks about most stuff and how Jeff would talk about something (like his obscure hacking games) is night and day.

I know it all comes down to taste and that's fine. Just wanted to address the point that I don't think homogenization of opinions is the answer - quite the opposite given that's my exact problem with Waypoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom