• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lijik

The McElroy brothers are excellent entertainers. I'd go to Polygon if it was just "Justin and Griffin goof on video games." As is, it seems kind of odd that they record the video first and then talk over it. If watching Giant Bomb has taught me anything, it's that half the fun comes from the live reactions of the unexpected stuff. But maybe that's not what they're going for at Polygon, I don't know.

I think part of it has to do with Griffin and Justin not being in the same state.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
♪♫Barkerville. Dun dun Barrrrkerrrrvilllle♫♪
♬♩~Clarinet~♩♬

Kerned

Banned
The McElroy brothers are excellent entertainers. I'd go to Polygon if it was just "Justin and Griffin goof on video games." As is, it seems kind of odd that they record the video first and then talk over it. If watching Giant Bomb has taught me anything, it's that half the fun comes from the live reactions of the unexpected stuff. But maybe that's not what they're going for at Polygon, I don't know.

I thought the stranger choice was to decide not to talk over the second half of the video. Either do voiceover for the whole thing or just end the video. Who's going to watch 10 minutes of parcheesi pieces movie around on Steve Buscemi's face in total silence?

Wunder

I thought the stranger choice was to decide not to talk over the second half of the video. Either do voiceover for the whole thing or just end the video. Who's going to watch 10 minutes of parcheesi pieces movie around on Steve Buscemi's face in total silence?

but the chat bro

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Castlevania II seems like total bullshit, and has some real garbage stuff in it, but playing with a guide, seems like it might be kinda cool.

Myggen

Castlevania II seems like total bullshit, and has some real garbage stuff in it, but playing with a guide, seems like it might be kinda cool.

It might be the most dissapointing game from my early childhood. I remember loving (and sucking at) Castlevania, and then Castlevania II came out... It's not just that it's mostly a bullshit game in how fucking vague it is, the game itself is so boring. That's the worst part about it imo. The only thing it had going for it was the day/night thing, that really kept you on edge. But other than that, just a bad game.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Alright, not to harp on the whole "bad at games" trend, but legit, I think Giantbomb might just be bad at games in general.

Someone linked a Polygon overview video earlier so I've been watching some stuff with Griffin playing.

I remember Amazing Spiderman 2 and Mercenary Kings looking like pretty rotten games (and being talked about as such) when the GB crew quick looked them.

Then, when watching the Polygon Overview, the games looked waaaaay more fun, fluid, and interesting.

Jeff mentioned in AS2 how the web swinging was sort of janky and it was just difficult to really pull off anything you wanted to pull off. Meanwhile, watching Griffin play it looks totally smooth and fluid, he's moving around swiftly, doing cool acrobatics, fighting effectively and dodging and everything. Overall, the game just looked WAY better, and even though they didn't love the game either, they did show off the goods and the bads.

I thought maybe the issue was just that Griffin had played a lot longer, but in the video he said that the recording was from about 1:30 of playtime.

Similarly with Mercenary Kings, with Brad playing the game just looked like a colossal chore to play. Not really fun at all, and nothing to the game except "make new gun." On the other hand, I was watching Griffin play and he was doing really well, executing active reloads effectively, mowing dudes down, playing around and showing off really cool guns, and the game suddenly looked like a total blast.

I didn't watch many videos yet, but I did see those two and thought "These totally look like different games all together."

I feel like GB should try and invest a little bit more time before hand into a game to try and get better at it before showing it off, because with Jeff saying Quick Looks are a stand in of buying advice replacing reviews, I'm getting a completely different picture of what the game is, and I don't think it's just Griffin cherry picking the best of the best video.

Myggen

Alright, not to harp on the whole "bad at games" trend, but legit, I think Giantbomb might just be bad at games in general.

I can't speak for Spider-Man 2 (that game looked rotten even if the swinging is okay to good), but I think it's pretty obvious that the GB crew didn't understand a couple of key mechanics at the beginning of that Mercenary Kings QL. And Brad got pretty unbelievably bad luck too. So I'm not surprised that that QL wasn't the best representation of the game.

I'm personally fine with QLs being half games they've played some/a lot of before recording, and half a representation of what it's like playing it for the first time. That is if they're upfront about the time they've put into the game before recording, which they usually are.

We definitely need some kind of feature called the Hounds of Barkerville

I'm just so excited for them to get to Super Castlevania IV, which I believe is the next appearance of Barkerville in the series.

(Actually, I'm just excited for them to beat Simon's Quest because a) fuck that game and b) the others should be a lot less time consuming, until we hit 64 anyway.)

Fox318

Finished reading Patrick's article on Kinect and I don't get the support that games media put behind the Kinect and motion controls. Different for the sake of different is bad. The only good uses of motion controls for gaming have are when the controls are directly able to simulate a real world analogue. Sword swings, the twist and throw of a bowling ball, a tennis racket, and Bloom Blox all were trying to copy something natural. The reasons why people love games is for their controls. You press left you go left, you press jump you jump. Each player input directly correlates to an action. Motion controls and particulars Kinect never provided payers with a felling of physical feedback good enough to justify losing control precision.

Nothing is worse in a game when your input doesn't match what your intention was and motion controls always had that problem. Even when Patrick tries to use Douglas Wilson's quotes to defend I believe both are wrong on what the issue is. DDR works because you can feel the input and each input is defined. With Kinect and to some extent the WiiMote you can fool the system to much or the system isn't able to define your input.

The independent scene would have never saved the device. All of the interesting implementations use Kinect's depth sensing for other uses that don't involve gaming. Even the Kinect "hack" video he posted had nothing to do with gaming. It was never a gaming.

The death of Kinect is not one which should be mourned. The device has done nothing to define itself or separate itself from similar technologies. Its a death that can allow Microsoft to move forward and concentrate on new games and new experiences that can be controlled properly. The digital divide will soon be past us and the father we move forward in time the more likely people will have the ability to handle a controller properly.

I understand that people in games media want to discover different things and cover different things but like movie reviews the content which they should focus on is the games instead of the physical. You don't see film critics pushing D-BOX like you do media types pushing motion controls. Kinect was flawed in concept and overly promoted by games media types who just wanted something else to cover because they don't got tired of covering financially successful games.

Stimpack

Audio sync is fucked YET AGAIN. Getting annoying now. As in, "why am I giving these people money" levels of annoying.

I know what you mean. The video player in general has always been horrible, and this new one isn't any better. I still get black screened a lot, especially after I pause. I wish they could get it together, I like the player and it's shitty when I have to watch through Youtube.

That said, I don't think I could stop paying for premium, even if the place turns to shit.

Also, Jeff has been gone for a while, it feels. Hope he's having a good time!

ArjanN

Someone linked a Polygon overview video earlier so I've been watching some stuff with Griffin playing.

I remember Amazing Spiderman 2 and Mercenary Kings looking like pretty rotten games (and being talked about as such) when the GB crew quick looked them.

Then, when watching the Polygon Overview, the games looked waaaaay more fun, fluid, and interesting.

Jeff mentioned in AS2 how the web swinging was sort of janky and it was just difficult to really pull off anything you wanted to pull off. Meanwhile, watching Griffin play it looks totally smooth and fluid, he's moving around swiftly, doing cool acrobatics, fighting effectively and dodging and everything. Overall, the game just looked WAY better, and even though they didn't love the game either, they did show off the goods and the bads.

I thought maybe the issue was just that Griffin had played a lot longer, but in the video he said that the recording was from about 1:30 of playtime.

Similarly with Mercenary Kings, with Brad playing the game just looked like a colossal chore to play. Not really fun at all, and nothing to the game except "make new gun." On the other hand, I was watching Griffin play and he was doing really well, executing active reloads effectively, mowing dudes down, playing around and showing off really cool guns, and the game suddenly looked like a total blast.

I didn't watch many videos yet, but I did see those two and thought "These totally look like different games all together."

I feel like GB should try and invest a little bit more time before hand into a game to try and get better at it before showing it off, because with Jeff saying Quick Looks are a stand in of buying advice replacing reviews, I'm getting a completely different picture of what the game is, and I don't think it's just Griffin cherry picking the best of the best video.

I agree on the Spiderman 2 bit, Jeff seemed to want to play it like Saint's Row 4/ Prototype etc. where you move in a direct line to the objective, where Spiderman seems designed to actually swing through the streets around the buildings.
It looked much smoother when I saw other people play it.

It depends on the game though, for some stuff it's nice to see their initial reaction to it.

I know what you mean. The video player in general has always been horrible, and this new one isn't any better. I still get black screened a lot, especially after I pause. I wish they could get it together, I like the player and it's shitty when I have to watch through Youtube.

That said, I don't think I could stop paying for premium, even if the place turns to shit.

Also, Jeff has been gone for a while, it feels. Hope he's having a good time!

It's nothing to do with the video player, mind. I'm streaming their videos via Chrome's VLC plug-in and the audio is seriously out-of-sync - they're uploading the videos in that state. (Or they break after the fact - I don't know.) Either way, they need some way of making sure their videos are in an acceptable state before making them available to us.

I hope when the new producer comes in (and once E3 has passed), Drew and Vinny will be able to be a lot more on top of video quality.

Fox318

I haven't seen the Spiderman 2 quick look yet but I would have to agree with your point. Its become apparent that for many of the games they just pop them in record 20-40 minutes and then never touch it again.

I know they aren't big sports game reviewers but I felt that they really did MLB 14: The Show a disservice by not even waiting until the game has finished installing before giving it a quick look. Considering all of the talk about RBI Baseball it would have been interesting of them to give the game a more in depth look especially considering that it is the only next gen baseball game and its exclusive to one system.

I'm curious about the different methods of control that the game has. They have the analog pitching that Vinny and Jeff seemed to struggle with but they also had a metered 3 button press system and different methods of control for batting and they never brought that up I believe because their quick look process has just become play the game for 20 minutes and you are done.

I think they're fine most of the time. We don't really mention it when they are playing a game with competence; it's only when they are being terrible that we talk about it. That said, I agree that them saying Quick Looks are replacing reviews for most games kinda puts some more obligations on their shoulders. If they intend on quicklooking a game and not reviewing it, they need to at least play the game correctly. That Mercenary Kings quicklook did a complete disservice to the game. I thought for sure that the game played like shit and had tedious and broken designs. After watching that video, I was dead set on never touching this game. Only later did I discover that the game is not broken and it was simply Brad who did not understand how it played. I sincerely hope that every person who were put off by the game because of that video eventually came around.

Megasoum

Banned
Initially that Sunset Overdrive footage looks incredibly boring.

Yeah I agree. I like the visual style and some of the concepts but it feels very shallow and repetitive. Wait and see I guess since this is more of a sandbox concept than the actual game.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Quoting Jeff on MLB:
"For the record, MLB 14 The Show completed its system-level install process. The bar was fully across the icon and the game was bootable and all that. The second, stealthy install that it triggered on launch was actually a surprise."

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Yeah I agree. I like the visual style and some of the concepts but it feels very shallow and repetitive. Wait and see I guess since this is more of a sandbox concept than the actual game.

it's been really hard to get excited about an Insomniac release in a very long time, this one isn't changing that. The thirst is real if this is the gameplay that people are so hyped up about.

It is a gorgeous game though. They nailed the art style.

Krathoon

Gold Member
We need a video with the Barkerville song complete with the Barkerville comments. They should open with it at PAX Prime. Better yet, they should open with a montage of all the silly moments this year and end it with Vinny yelling Barkerville!!!

I tend to take it as a learning experience, (like Patrick and Vinny with Etrian Odyssey IV QL), and I show them the way positively: "Scoops, put the tank in the back, grinding's the hard way out!"

Beneficial and gets everyone's minds right.

Found it, not sure why everyone is losing their shit over it though :/

Baaaaaaarkerville, touch of country in the city
Baaaaaaarkerville, it ain't much, but it's home.

Flipyap

The Mercenary Kings Quick Look was a complete disaster because it revolved almost entirely around Brad failing to find the boss, when calling one of a handful support characters will point you to its exact location (and it's not some secret feature, it's one of six options in that menu)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom