• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #7 | Hey There, Small Business Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I would expect at least one subscriber content a week that isn't UPF, so the lack of quick looks is still disappointing.

Majine

Banned
Just Jeff.

image.php

That is the face of a Jeff that knows. He knows everything now.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So they sold out of the discount subs, which amounts to 50 grand. That's probably a drop in the bucket for them, but it makes me wonder if that shouldn't just be the normal price and that they should forgo the whole "get a t-shirt code" thing altogether.

Deadstar

So they sold out of the discount subs, which amounts to 50 grand. That's probably a drop in the bucket for them, but it makes me wonder if that shouldn't just be the normal price and that they should forgo the whole "get a t-shirt code" thing altogether.

I didn't know they recently had a sale. Oh well.

Patrick's section of the bombcast was amazing. No. No. Nothing will change tomorrow. No.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I didn't know they recently had a sale. Oh well.

Patrick's section of the bombcast was amazing. No. No. Nothing will change tomorrow. No.
Yeah, if I wasn't reading the thread, I wouldn't have known as well. I don't get why it wasn't advertised on the front page of the site.

Or maybe it was and I just missed the obvious big flashing sign that said MEMBERSHIP SALE ON NOW.

Xater

Nintendo always have ridiculous stupid 90s level of restriction on videos so the embargo might be up for the written reviews but I'm sure they can't do an actual quicklook before release.

Yep that's how Nintendo always seem to handle it. It's awful.

Myggen

70 grand, actually. And I'm not sure about reducing the price from a business perspective: It seems smart to have the regular price be 50 with a 15 dollar store code (that probably not even half of the subs use), and reduce it to a straight 35 dollar sale once in a while.

This is just another post about how great this weeks bombcast was.

The "nothing is going to change tomorrow" line is so damn perfect I would almost think that was edited in later.

Zaph

This is just another post about how great this weeks bombcast was.

The "nothing is going to change tomorrow" is so damn perfect I would almost think it was edited in later
The whole episode felt like GAF fan service. You had two top Fantasy Hire picks guesting in, Vinny's editing and some gentle Patrick ribbing.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
70 grand, actually. And I'm not sure about reducing the price from a business perspective: It seems smart to have the regular price be 50 with a 15 dollar store code (that probably not even half of the subs use), and reduce it to a straight 35 dollar sale once in a while.
I dunno, it makes sense, but at some point you can probably sell hundreds/thousands of more subs at the 35 dollar price and you wouldn't need to have sales in the first place.

I dunno, it makes sense, but at some point you can probably sell hundreds/thousands of more subs at the 35 dollar price and you wouldn't need to have sales in the first place.

You could also probably sell thousands of xbox ones if they dropped the price to 5 bucks. Actually, why don't they just make everything 5 bucks!

Use your head.

Myggen

Polygon's Overview videos clearly still have a long way to go in matching the conversational rapport of GB's Quick Looks, but man if Griffin McElroy isn't on point in this Tabletop Simulator video:

http://youtu.be/YvAVP0_kJ4Q

Griffin is always a funny dude. My problem with the few other Overview videos I've seen is that Griffin has been with other Polygon staffers that were not Justin, and those have not been very good at all.

Anways, looking forward to the charity stream. Rorie is such a weird/funny dude that I think he'll be entertaining just doing random stuff by himself. And the Danny/Alexis/special guests stream will be good. I'm a bit afraid of what a weekend stream of Danny/Alexis/Drew(?) will do to this thread though.

Zebetite

Banned
VinnyVania is my favorite content on the site in an absurdly long time. Anyone else?

It's just so damn watchable. It's probably a weird confluence of my love for Castlevania and my love for Vinny Caravella, but man. Easily justifies the subscription on its own(as if UPF didn't already have that covered).

I hope they keep going past CV3. Get as many in as you can!

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Gamersyde put up their videos today, so there's probably no video embargo left. I think it depends on whether Nintendo sent them multiple copies or not, since Jeff sent the one they got to Alex.

Don't they have some weird embargoes about their videos not being over 3-5 minutes? Could be why we don't have a QL yet.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You could also probably sell thousands of xbox ones if they dropped the price to 5 bucks. Actually, why don't they just make everything 5 bucks!

Use your head.
Well, funny, because they just dropped the price of the Xbone because no one is buying it. :p

But anyway, you know that there are a quite a few people who just get 5 dollar monthly subs every few months, right?

Unless you watch everything live, there's no actual reason to have an annual sub.

Zaph

The title will inevitably be related to the new hire.

Or we just troll everyone with "Giant Bomb #8 | Welcoming Danny O'Dwyer!"

Myggen

Well, funny, because they just dropped the price of the Xbone because no one is buying it. :p

But anyway, you know that there are a quite a few people who just get 5 dollar monthly subs every few months, right?

Unless you watch everything live, there's no actual reason to have an annual sub.

Those people will continue to do that unless you really lower the price to like 20-25 dollars, and I don't see that making much sense. I also almost never watch liveshows because I live in Europe, and the reason for me to have an annual sub is to watch premium archives when they first go up.

rObit

Banned
Polygon's Overview videos clearly still have a long way to go in matching the conversational rapport of GB's Quick Looks, but man if Griffin McElroy isn't on point in this Tabletop Simulator video:

http://youtu.be/YvAVP0_kJ4Q

The McElroy brothers are excellent entertainers. I'd go to Polygon if it was just "Justin and Griffin goof on video games." As is, it seems kind of odd that they record the video first and then talk over it. If watching Giant Bomb has taught me anything, it's that half the fun comes from the live reactions of the unexpected stuff. But maybe that's not what they're going for at Polygon, I don't know.

Finally heard the edited segment. Sogood.gif

I have to say the 'news' music gag earlier was funnier though

Yep, that bit was executed perfectly with the musical pauses and stuff. Vinny really knows how to nail that stuff.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Those people will continue to do that unless you really lower the price to like 20-25 dollars, and I don't see that making much sense. I also almost never watch liveshows because I live in Europe, and the reason for me to have an annual sub is to watch premium archives when they first go up.
I will say, I did the monthly sub thing until they did the first 35 dollar sale and it's something that, at least anecdotally, I've seen among my friends as well. I think it's because they are basically saying the membership itself is only worth 35 dollars by virtue of the coupon that some people would rather just pay the asking price. That's how I approached it anyway.

Megasoum

Banned
The title will inevitably be related to the new hire.

Or we just troll everyone with "Giant Bomb #8 | Welcoming Danny O'Dwyer!"

I know it's been said countless times before and also why it's not gonna happen but dammit he would be such a perfect fit it's crazy. Also I learned today that Far Cry 3 was his GOTY that year... We're getting near mancrush level here.

Zaph

Trust me, you don't want an Irish family. They just get completely drunk at weddings and start feuds which last over a decade...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom