• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb GoTY 2016- Agent 47, take out that Doom Marine

Alex about Overwatch - It's a remarkably balanced game

CqFzP26XEAAI8RC.png
CqFup8SVUAAqcRz.png

NewDust

After watching Day 2 - Best Looking, I'm getting more and more upset that
The Witness
didn't even became runner-up in the Best Style category. Every design aspect felt so well thought out, so in place, so cohesive, together with the artistic design of
the island and
it's hidden puzzles
. Even the sound design, for how little there is, is topnotch. It's one of the only games that if you finished it, you are going to see it's style in the real world.

TheYanger

It's actually painful to see how dudebro Jeff becomes about games like Inside, "I didn't understand it so you're all stupid and this game is stupid fuck you"

Every single argument he tried to make against it could be applied to every game in the world basically, and I Was glad Alex and Vinny both took him up with basically that counterpoint immediately a few times.

Man, Jeff really didn't like Inside.

I'm absolutely with him. The game is technically proficient and well-constructed, but the puzzles were nothing special and certainly not challenging, and there was just nothing there in regards to the story of the game or the events therein. I bought, played, and finished it sight-unseen on release, and wanted to (but didn't) refund it after I was finished.

The first 3 days I was pretty against Jeff's views but that
Titanfall 2
situation in Best Moment has reversed it for me, felt sorry for Jeff there.

Really glad
The Witness
won best moment too.

As far as GOTY goes I'd much rather DOOM took it than Overwatch, I haven't played DOOM but what I played of Overwatch I just could not get into.

I also just wish either Dark Souls 3 or The Last Guardian would get more recognition but oh well.

After watching Day 2 - Best Looking, I'm getting more and more upset that
The Witness
didn't even became runner-up in the Best Style category. Every design aspect felt so well thought out, so in place, so cohesive, together with the artistic design of
the island and
it's hidden puzzles
. Even the sound design, for how little there is, is topnotch. It's one of the only games that if you finished it, you are going to see it's style in the real world.

I hated actually playing this game, but it's one of the best looking things I've ever seen and has some of the best atmosphere.

marrec

Banned
I'm absolutely with him. The game is technically proficient and well-constructed, but the puzzles were nothing special and certainly not challenging, and there was just nothing there in regards to the story of the game or the events therein. I bought, played, and finished it sight-unseen on release, and wanted to (but didn't) refund it after I was finished.

I didn't want a refund after I was finished, but Inside certainly didn't stick with me at all after playing. It was a really competent puzzle game that had amazing art... but like... it didn't really do anything amazing besides the art.

Jeff's ultimatum with
Rez ||||||||||||
in the Best Music category is so dumb. Guess what, it's not that good and your nostalgia is coloring how good you think it is.

oti

Banned
lol at Brad suggesting Clash Royale would be the best Mobile Game ever made if the developers used the "right kind of F2P".

Come on. You know why it's the way it is. That's the point of the game. It wouldn't exist at all if it was using the "right kind of F2P".

LiK

To be fair, unless you play competitive in the last couple months you might not have noticed how lopsided the Ana/tank meta has gotten.

And the meta affects mainly PC where Ana players are more proficient than on consoles cuz of the controls. The tank meta is pretty rare on consoles.

Alex plays on PS4 only.

jmood88

God, Jeff is ridiculous and it's hilarious. He has no problem saying that he doesn't want games to be listed simply because he doesn't like them while simultaneously making crazy reasons in attempts to justify his immediate dismissal. His reason for not wanting Inside on the best moments list (beyond his not liking the game) made me literally laugh out loud.

daveo42

Banned
Finding out Vinny's #1 was Doom basically locked it in.

I don't see how a Dan/Alex/Jason front wins out over Vinny, Jeff, Brad.

It's more a fight for #2 and 3 at this point over #1, but who knows. Crazier stuff has happened. I think Overwatch and Titanfall 2 are both a lock for the top 5, but which one actually comes in on top of the other is still in the air.

lol at Brad suggesting Clash Royale would be the best Mobile Game ever made if the developers used the "right kind of F2P".

Come on. You know why it's the way it is. That's the point of the game. It wouldn't exist at all if it was using the "right kind of F2P".

I mean, he's right though... the actual matches of Clash Royale are incredible, but the pay-to-win bullshit that it's built around is abhorrent.

LiK

Man, things have changed. I feel like Jeff lost a lot of battles today. Guess we'll see if he saved up all the fight for tomorrow!

For me what enhanced INSIDE is the discussions I was able to have with people close to me who also finished the game. It's also an extremely polished experience from start to finish.

It's more a fight for #2 and 3 at this point over #1, but who knows. Crazier stuff has happened. I think Overwatch and Titanfall 2 are both a lock for the top 5, but which one actually comes in on top of the other is still in the air.

Agreed, Doom is #1 for sure with Vinny having it at #1. The next 4 slots are definitely where I expect the arguments. I think Hitman/OW will fight for #2/3, then TF2 and Inside for 4/5.

Manbig

Man, Jeff really didn't like Inside.

I was getting the impression that his main knock against it appeared to be similar to the issue that people have with supposed "Walking Simulators" in that there's not much substance in the gameplay, and, to him at least, the rest of what that game does, doesn't really make up for that.

I do find that odd, because wasn't he a fan of Gone Home?

Either way, it seems like he just got really pissed in the context of this specific discussion for best moment, and I 100% agree with him that both of those Titanfall 2 moments were way better than the blob moment, but hey, that's just me.

oti

Banned
I mean, he's right though... the actual matches of Clash Royale are incredible, but the pay-to-win bullshit that it's built around is abhorrent.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the game is great. I'm not talking about the gameplay or game design. But to suggest this game could have existed in any shape or form other than a whale baitng F2P game is absurd. That's why it exists.

I just don't think the best moment of The Witness is all that good. It's what convinced me that I was done with the game. It also doesn't seem that crazy or nuts. It makes sense that the game does that or else the island has no purpose.

Doom was robbed.

I haven't listened to today's cast yet (and I don't know how much of Best Moments I'll watch because of the spoiler minefield) but that is a really weird pick for The Witness. Like, yeah, it's cool, but "discovering the first use of a major side mechanic" doesn't really feel like something worth celebrating, especially because it's so signposted. I don't know why, say, the Challenge or the Room (you know, the one with
the videos
) weren't better moments for that game.

Also, in many ways the real best moment of The Witness is "figuring out that one fucking puzzle you were stumped on for hours," which is going to be different for everyone. So not really something you could give an award to anyways.

daveo42

Banned
Agreed, Doom is #1 for sure with Vinny having it at #1. The next 4 slots are definitely where I expect the arguments. I think Hitman/OW will fight for #2/3, then TF2 and Inside for 4/5.

Jeff will get backing from Brad on Titianfall 2 just to snub Overwatch. Coalitions have been made. Alex/Jason might have that weight to push Overwatch to #3 to move Brad on keeping Hitman in the top 3.

Man, I love speculating on GotY.

jmood88

The last 10 minutes of the best moment discussion seemed like it was leading up to Jeff telling everyone that it's his site and he'll get rid of anyone who disagreed with him on Inside.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Jeff will get backing from Brad on Titianfall 2 just to snub Overwatch. Coalitions have been made. Alex/Jason might have that weight to push Overwatch to #3 to move Brad on keeping Hitman in the top 3.

Man, I love speculating on GotY.

I doubt Titanfall will even crack the top 5.

How the fuck is Stardew Valley getting time for Best Soundtrack yet Street Fighter V isn't even on the list?

I know "lol Western gamers" and all, but goodness gracious Bombcast.

marrec

Banned
Man, things have changed. I feel like Jeff lost a lot of battles today. Guess we'll see if he saved up all the fight for tomorrow!

Didn't he specifically say today that he was saving DOOMs Multiplayer being shit for further discussions? Or was that yesterday.

A hint of things to come.

LiK

The last 10 minutes of the best moment discussion seemed like it was leading up to Jeff telling everyone that it's his site and he'll get rid of anyone who disagreed with him on Inside.

I think if Jeff decided to take over hosting duties again outta spite, that would've been hilarious.

It's soooo goooooooooood. I put way more time into Battlefield and Overwatch, but my heart is really with Titanfall.

I must be crazy... I played TF2 during the free weekend, it was good but I definitely do not have the love for it that I see all over the place. Would much rather play BF1 or OW.

well you see

stardew valley's soundtrack is really good

Finally something we can agree on ;). Stardew's OST is amazing.

Top Bottom