• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT28| Welcome to the Penis Farm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strax

Thanks for all the recommendations guys, I'ma make a playlist or something!

edit: except for you strax that is cruel and unusual. I had terrible flashbacks, relived the whole thing, just from the first 3 seconds

2699114-brad_cumface_marioparty.gif

Xater

I started to wonder again how long it will take for the to get new hires. Especially the West situation is dire right now.

kingocfs

I wonder how much of Cloth Map Drew actually has...mapped out. The project seems a little directionless.

Eurovision is cool and all, but I hope he's able to find enough gaming-related stuff and it doesn't just become your bog standard travelogue.

Strax

I wonder how much of Cloth Map Drew actually has...mapped out. The project seems a little directionless.

Eurovision is cool and all, but I hope he's able to find enough gaming-related stuff and it doesn't just become your bog standard travelogue.

He's doing Eurovision?
The dream comes true.
Please tell me Danny will join him.

edit: He's going to Eurovision hah, that's fantastic.

Santar

I don't like roguelikes with no progression at all. Failed runs feel like wasted time.

I don't get this sentiment that so many people seem to have.
So every time you play a game and don't beat it is a waste?
Isn't just playing the game and enjoying the gameplay the main point of playing games?
I've played Enter the Gungeon for probably 40 hours and never beaten it, yet it's become one of my favorite games of all time.

Maybe it's because I never look up which items are the best, and how to unlock secrets and unlock stuff? I just play the games and find out stuff myself. Like I never quit a run in Gungeon just because I didn't get that awesome megapowerfull weapon. It's fun to just play the game. I play games to enjoy playing them, not just to beat them.

Everybody should give Enter the Gungeon a go, I think it's even surpassed Spelnky for me now. The amount of content and polish that game has is just incredible. It's so much better than Nuclear Throne it's scary. They're only superficially similar anyways. Such a shame it didn't click with Jeff, he really missed a gem there.

I would prefer to watch a normal travel show I think. Drew is usually most interesting when it's not game related.

I mean, he can't even get a label maker.

oti

Banned
I don't get this sentiment that so many people seem to have.
So every time you play a game and don't beat it is a waste?
Isn't just playing the game and enjoying the gameplay the main point of playing games?
I've played Enter the Gungeon for probably 40 hours and never beaten it, yet it's become one of my favorite games of all time.

Maybe it's because I never look up which items are the best, and how to unlock secrets and unlock stuff? I just play the games and find out stuff myself. Like I never quit a run in Gungeon just because I didn't get that awesome megapowerfull weapon. It's fun to just play the game. I play games to enjoy playing them, not just to beat them.

Everybody should give Enter the Gungeon a go, I think it's even surpassed Spelnky for me now. The amount of content and polish that game has is just incredible. It's so much better than Nuclear Throne it's scary. They're only superficially similar anyways. Such a shame it didn't click with Jeff, he really missed a gem there.

I never look up that stuff. But if there's no progression, every failed run is just waisted time. One can both enjoy the gameolay and want to work towards something. If I like the game enough to play after finishing the progression I can. Nothing's stopping me from doing that. I don't want to play a randomly generated roguelike just to kill some time.

For all the Roguelike-confused: progression is NOT just bigger stats or resources. Ignore at your own peril.

Anywho, about Drew:

Out in the audience, Drew blends in with the crowd:

nqkjqKt.gif

What are your favorite GB videos for when you need a pick-me-up? please send me some of your recommendations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjV74Y2oB_4

1. RIP Ryan

2. Will will ALWAYS have a seat at the Bombcast for LIFE for this one.

3. The timing of this in the podcast was alarmingly perfectly placed after 15 minutes of droll discussion on data delivery and formatting.

Zaph

dcassell

Banned
If you learn what an item does, you've made progress every time in a roguelike. I used to hate those games until I made note of that mentality.

kiguel182

Hot take on MGSV:

I mean, that was what I expected. The voice of Ishmael was clearly Sutherland so he was either an imaginary friend or you weren't actually Big Boss. Them asking for a face gave it away (and Drew guessed it too). I think this complicates things but I mean, things were already complicated.

Does this mean Big Boss didn't actually turned bad? Snake was just working for Cipher or something. I don't know, this is a mess of a story.

Also, the story itself wasn't as bad as people made it to be. I thought 4 was terrible with his totally overblown story so this being simpler (twist aside) wasn't that bad. The game suffered from having way too many missions that didn't advance the plot and well they got repetitive.

This series is a mess.

Mission 45 still isn't unlocked. Is it important?

EDIT: Also, having story missions hidden behind repeats of old missions or whatever is a terrible idea.

You'll want to finish mission 45, yeah.

And man... MGSV's final mission is a dumpster fire. I don't know how anyone can like the game after that. It made me retroactively hate everything I had done up to that point.

Hot take on MGSV:

I mean, that was what I expected. The voice of Ishmael was clearly Sutherland so he was either an imaginary friend or you weren't actually Big Boss. Them asking for a face gave it away (and Drew guessed it too). I think this complicates things but I mean, things were already complicated.

Does this mean Big Boss didn't actually turned bad? Snake was just working for Cipher or something. I don't know, this is a mess of a story.

Also, the story itself wasn't as bad as people made it to be. I thought 4 was terrible with his totally overblown story so this being simpler (twist aside) wasn't that bad. The game suffered from having way too many missions that didn't advance the plot and well they got repetitive.

This series is a mess.

Mission 45 still isn't unlocked. Is it important?

The ending tapes explain more but the gist of the story is...
The real BB went to build Zanzibarland while shielding himself from the public eye by using the fake BB(Venom Snake). Putting him at the center of the stage. In MG1, Venom Snake dies by Solid Snake and in MG2, the real BB gets burnt by Solid Snake. Having all that aside, the ending also had some meta aspects to it about how all the players are BB and how we all helped keep his legend alive. I loved the idea of it but the execution was not all there, sadly.

Mission 45 just brings a closure of sorts to Quiet. To unlock the mission you'll have to max out your bond with Quiet.

Jubbe

I never look up that stuff. But if there's no progression, every failed run is just waisted time.

I mean, if you want to be real about it then literally all time spent playing video games is just wasted time.

Spelunky is the greatest game of all time.

ArjanN

I never look up that stuff. But if there's no progression, every failed run is just waisted time. One can both enjoy the gameolay and want to work towards something. If I like the game enough to play after finishing the progression I can. Nothing's stopping me from doing that. I don't want to play a randomly generated roguelike just to kill some time.

Like SatelliteOfLove explained above, the progression in a roguelike is you, the player, getting better. Through experience getting a better understanding of the game mechanics, which will utlimately translate in you getting further and further until you beat it.

Ah, I'm thinking purely in terms of Binding of Isaac. What game does that apply to?

A lot of roguelikes have randomized potions. Even in Binding of Isaac the pills are randomized each run, so using them is always a risk.

kiguel182

The ending tapes explain more but the gist of the story is...
The real BB went to build Zanzibarland while shielding himself from the public eye by using the fake BB(Venom Snake). Making him at the center of the stage. In MG1, Venom Snake dies by Solid Snake and in MG2, the real BB gets burnt by Solid Snake. Having all that aside, the ending also had some meta aspects to it about how all the players are BB and how we all helped keep his legend alive. I loved the idea of it but the execution was not all there, sadly.

Mission 45 just brings a closure of sorts to Quiet. To unlock the mission you'll have to max out your bond with Quiet.

the meta aspect makes sense even if it went over my head. I think that it muddies the whole "Big Boss turned bad" aspect of the series that I found more interesting than this. I didn't hate it but I didn't think it added much to the lore. Also, why is the game unfinished then?

Yeah, I'm not doing that lol Do I get something if I do all the 50 missions?

What are your favorite GB videos for when you need a pick-me-up? please send me some of your recommendations.

While it's never used as a pick-me-up by me, the Quick Look for Super Mega Baseball really stuck with me. It's easily one of my favorite arcadey/retros ports games. It was fun seeing Jeff and Dan get more enthusastic about the game as the Quick Look went on. The names of the players are really goofy and they clearly had a fun time with that. Dan loved pausing the game so the umpire (sounding like Christian Bale's Batman) could yell "TIME!, THAT'S TIME!, and TIMEOUT!".

I'm really excited for Super Mega Baseball 2 (out later this year), which allows you to build custom (online and offline) teams and leagues (with custom named players and logos). So, yes, you could create a Giant Bomb team. I wonder who will do the Quick Look of that game.

the meta aspect makes sense even if it went over my head. I think that it muddies the whole "Big Boss turned bad" aspect of the series that I found more interesting than this. I didn't hate it but I didn't think it added much to the lore. Also, why is the game unfinished then?

Time for Metal Gear Scanlon.

I think it's more than just BB though, it's just another way for Kojima to say thank you to the fans who kept this series going strong to this day. Again, the execution could have been WAY better and it would have worked much better than it did. The people who keep on saying that the game is unfinished are looking at something that just isn't there, the only valid complaint is that we never got a closure to Liquid or Psycho Mantis who I find to be the most interesting character of the bunch besides Huey & Kaz. Mantis had alot of influence throughout the game by clinging on the hatred of the characters and their thirst for revenge, further influencing them negatively. We got a much closer look at the supposed mission 51 so we know it's cut for sure and thus this kept on making people speculate that there's more that's also cut from the game, a supposed entire chapter was lol.

There's also a hidden ending which I haven't followed up on but apparently if all the online players disabled their nuclear bombs(yes you could make nuclear bombs in the FOB portion of the game), this ending plays.
Also, be sure to visit the Motherbase on the birth date of your character. You'll get a special cutscene.

The most interesting thing to me is that the cut mission 51 is like the only bonus thing on the special edition disk besides a bunch of small interviews. Reading the supposed development of the game I guess we could guess why there's no making of to speak of like MGS2 had or hell, MGS4 even(which are fucking great).

MGS4 Documentary - Hideo Kojima's Gene

The Making of Metal Gear Solid 4 [External Perspective]

Metal Gear Solid 2 - The Making Of A Hollywood Game

It really gives you an idea at just how meticulous Kojima is when making a game. Ever wonder why his name is plastered everywhere? That's because he has a hand in almost everything.

e: There's also an entire hidden subplot with
Paz
that I found to be excellent but it's a shame that it's fucking hidden like it's nothing. It gave more depth to Venom(he barely had any).

kiguel182

Has Jeff said anything bad about Horizon? I don't think his push for Horizon will get him anywhere. Kinda like Titanfall last year.

SeanR1221

Has Jeff said anything bad about Horizon? I don't think his push for Horizon will get him anywhere. Kinda like Titanfall last year.

Nope.

Unless something drastically changes it will obviously be Dan's pick. Brad seems super positive on it too, but I can't wait to see Jeff argue it down.

stamina argument inbound

He'll argue that and weapon degradation, along with saying the story and characters are more interesting in Horizon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom