• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

DzXkdgD.png

daveo42

Banned
So this bullshit fishing minigame is making me want to just stop playing Nier altogether. A tiny bit of feedback on would go a long way in making this at least somewhat manageable and not infuriating.

BTA

So this bullshit fishing minigame is making me want to just stop playing Nier altogether. A tiny bit of feedback on would go a long way in making this at least somewhat manageable and not infuriating.

Feedback on what?

Assuming you're talking about the original, it helps to orient the camera so you're almost viewing him from the side. Fish usually bob the line slightly a couple times and then plunge for the real bob. It takes a few minutes to get used to but it's very reliable after that. Different fish have a different number of bobs before going for it so for times when you're trying to get multiples for quests, knowing that can help you avoid wasting bait.

It should be said that I've been playing this (current tense in as much as I've been done with ending B for a month but haven't returned for the rest yet) with an actual printed strategy guide that I've been relying on for the quests and stuff; some of that stuff is admittedly hard to figure out otherwise. It led to me getting spoiled a bit at times, but not really anything more than I'd already been spoiled for.

also if it's the very first time make sure you went to where the quest marker is

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
nier fans will tell you that the shitty fishing minigame is some sort of allegory for manifest destiny and eternal suffering or some shit

BTA

It's the original and the minigame is pretty bad. At least I figured out I was instantly failing because I was fishing in the wrong area.

I really wish they worded that clearer.

It marks it on your map but there's literally a beach right by where you're told it and it's very easy to miss the bit where they specify that you're not already where you should be.

EDIT:

I will say that the fishing quests are pretty easy if you know where to go + what to fish with. And also the story tied to it is minor but pretty funny.

Man I really do love the beastcast. It makes me smile

With Abby on board I feel like that podcast has just ascended to god tier recently. I look forward to it the way I looked forward to the Bombcast during its prime era. I still think the games talk can be a bit lacking but it's just so dang fun.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
It's the original and the minigame is pretty bad. At least I figured out I was instantly failing because I was fishing in the wrong area.

That's exactly the reason he quit the game. He didn't find out until after he published his story throwing in the towel. It really could have been done better.

I wish the beastcast didn't have any game talk. Its great when they start with a loosely game related topic that leads into something else entirely.

The fishing in Nier is not difficult. The one time fishing is required, the game even goes so far as to give you the fish you need if you keep screwing up.

BTA

The fishing in Nier is not difficult. The one time fishing is required, the game even goes so far as to give you the fish you need if you keep screwing up.

I think the fishing line can be hard to see when viewed straight forward, which is why I suggested what I did. But otherwise I would say it's not difficult as much as initially confusing, yeah.

Scizzy

After this morning, I've got three unplayed Beastcasts piled up and I'm feeling like it'll take a long drive before I listen to them. The wackiness is just leaving me cold more and more. I'm like the mirror image of the median poster on this sub, devouring Bombcasts and getting less and less enjoyment from the Beastcast.

nier fans will tell you that the shitty fishing minigame is some sort of allegory for manifest destiny and eternal suffering or some shit

I mean you don't even have to engage with it much beyond the tutorial where unless you are too thick to fish at the red X on the map, it isn't difficult. McElroy got shit because he literally couldn't follow a map marker.

Nier: Automata's story beats are far better tuned that the original but coming from an at the time perspective the original did much more for me gameplay wise. It was a little rough around the edges but an action RPG with bullet hell mechanics was something I had never experienced before and occasionally the game switching things up like when suddenly everything's Diablo 2 blew my mind.

Automata felt like a C tier platinum action games that occasionally had tedious SHMUP sections that you were forced to play. Heck, it was something that was more interesting in Jade Empire.

daveo42

Banned

The main issues I had were related to the game not being clear that 'back' on the left stick was also a direction you needed to account for as opposed to just hitting X and moving the stick left and right. I think I spent a few minutes just hitting X and instantly failing till I went to gamefaqs. The rest was not seeing the map marker for where to fish.

It's not that bad once all the right pieces are in place, but it's still frustrating getting there.

BTA

After this morning, I've got three unplayed Beastcasts piled up and I'm feeling like it'll take a long drive before I listen to them. The wackiness is just leaving me cold more and more. I'm like the mirror image of the median poster on this sub, devouring Bombcasts and getting less and less enjoyment from the Beastcast.

I mean, though I haven't listened to a Bombcast since the start of the year, I also wasn't listening to Beastcasts for a few months.

It's not because of feeling cold on it, though. I just sorta... didn't listen, unintentionally, for a bit. Same for still not having listened to Bombcasts yet.

Maybe this weekend I'll start listening to some recent ones while I get stuff done and then listen to the ones I missed eventually. I should just give up on half-watching the video unless it's the current one because even that intent to half-watch screwed me over and kept me from listening.

JnGePcI.png

2956758-webp.net-resizeimage+%2811%29.jpg

This looks fanfuckingtastic

The entirety of both coasts? Now I'm reaaaally excited.

Top Bottom