• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb: A new Astrobot game might release later this year

Neff

Make it VR only, not hybrid. That would compromise the unique gameplay possibilities only VR can offer.

Rescue Mission wouldn't be what it was (read: the god damn shit) without VR. It is easily the best VR experience I've had, and one of the greatest platform games I've ever played. But.

PSVR2 was sent to die, and the Astro Bot series thus far deserves better. Designing a new Astro Bot solely around VR would no doubt make for a better game, but no fucking body would play it.

Give me a masterful AstroBot game in the vein of a fully fleshed out Mario title

That's basically what Rescue Mission was. It was glorious.

Nydius

If it's a larger version of Astrobot's Playroom, I'm absolutely in. That packed in game was an absolute gem despite being mostly a tech demo for the PS5 features. Also, the soundtrack was a banger. If it's a new PSVR Astro, I'll be sad.

Wonko_C

Rescue Mission wouldn't be what it was (read: the god damn shit) without VR. It is easily the best VR experience I've had, and one of the greatest platform games I've ever played. But.

PSVR2 was sent to die, and the Astro Bot series thus far deserves better. Designing a new Astro Bot solely around VR would no doubt make for a better game, but no fucking body would play it.

That's basically what Rescue Mission was. It was glorious.
I know this is a reductive take but if people want to play a game and it's on a certain platform they don't have, they should just buy the hardware. Games are the reason we buy hardware, system sellers as we used to call them.

Last edited:

Neff

I know this is a reductive take but if you want to play a game and it's on a certain platform you don't have, they should just buy the hardware.

Normally I would agree. Because almost any piece of gaming hardware is at some point going to offer good value and a solid library, but I don't feel confident about PSVR2's future.

wondermega

I mean I will buy a damn PS5 and a PSVR2 if they come out with a new Astrobot VR for it (and the word is that it's a worthy successor to the last VR outing). That game completely blew me away and honestly changed a lot of what I thought about gaming.

People that still haven't experienced it, absolutely need to. It is so strong all the way through, but I will say this - especially in the later stages, that game truly becomes on fire!

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I enjoyed Astrobot game that came free with PS5 but if its VR then I dont care for it.

I'll just quote what I wrote last year:

I said it after playing through Astro (and loving every second of it), give us a full fat game on the scale and scope of a Super Mario Odyssey. Astro was a love letter to all things PlayStation and cool way to expand upon that would to visit different game worlds based on PlayStation 1st party IP. Horizon World, Uncharted World, Ratchet World etc, each making full use of the DualSense with unique mechanics, would be something special.

Anyway, I'm sure it'll be great whatever it is, will be there day 1.

Fingers crossed.

Power Pro

Can we please stop listening to this fat slob? He doesn't know anything, he pulls things out of his ass, and hopes some of them will stick so people think he's an "insider"

nial

Gold Member
Where does it say that? I thought it just said established IPs. Astrobot is established
They are talking about tentpoles equivalents. “Major”, like GOW, TLoU, Horizon, Spiderman, GoT.

Wouldn’t be surprised that they don’t count Ratchet and Clank, Astrobot, Until Dawn, Ape Escape, etc.

Top Bottom