• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Pleased With Hi-Fi Rush Success, Plans To Reinvest In Tango Gameworks

Microsoft is reportedly pleased with the success of Hi-Fi Rush, and the software giant plans to reinvest in developer Tango Gameworks.
Speaking during the latest episode of Game Mess Decides, host Jeff Grubb, who is known for his game industry insight, mentioned hearing that Microsoft is extremely happy with Tango Gameworks to the point where the software giant is looking to reinvest in it. He added that Microsoft cares a lot about the studio having a bright future.
According to Grubb, regardless of how Hi-Fi Rush has performed in terms of raw numbers, Microsoft believes that Tango Gameworks is going to continue to do great things. He had previously mentioned that Hi-Fi Rush had failed to meet sales expectations. As per what he had said back then,Hi-Fi Rush failed to make the money it needed to make despite getting positive reviews and its relatively low price. Based on what he’s heard, there appears to be certain sales expectations for games despite being on Game Pass.
Grubb added that the company may have expected bigger titles like Halo Infinite to become a source of major micro-transaction revenue, and since that didn’t happen, smaller releases like Hi-Fi Rush were being burdened by lofty sales expectations. He mentioned that, assuming the Activision Blizzard King acquisition goes through, Call of Duty could serve the role of a bigger title that draws in massive micro-transaction revenue, paving the way for smaller, experimental titles to exist. That said, Grubb added that it still felt like Microsoft’s decision making with respect to game management seemed “sloppy”.
The Vice President of Xbox Games Marketing at Microsoft, Aaron Greenberg, later clarified that Hi-Fi Rush is a “break out hit” for the publisher and its players in all key measurements and expectations. According to him, the company couldn’t have been happier with what the team at Tango Gameworks delivered with the surprise release, echoing what Grubb has now stated.

Last edited:

Leviathicus

Neo Member
Give me The Evil Within 3 already

Happy Ice Hockey GIF by NHL

Puscifer

Invest in physical copies then since it's clearly worthy of one.
And likely the only way to preserve the game and it's use of music. Sega clearly implied that JSRF HD was coming after the JSR HD remake but it's clear when most of the soundtrack is from labels that don't exist anymore clearing that was going to be a huge hurdle.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
As I've said from the start, just because a studio gets bought out by a platform holder it doesn't mean they no longer have to compete.

The ultimate truth of acquisitions is the parent company is the one controlling the purse-strings. Any money generated goes through them on the way back down to the studio. So, if they don't see "value" in the continued operation of the subsidiary... the flow gets reduced or cut off altogether.

This isn't just true of Microsoft, its the reality of business that the parent company always gets to set the terms and budgets.

Kilau

Many people had been pushing the narrative that it has flop. Thanks for smearing crap on their faces now.
In this podcast he reiterated that it underperformed though. The sales didn’t make back the cost. All Grubb said is that MS is happy with Tango and they should be, the game is great and it not selling enough isn’t the fault of Tango. Greenberg’s old tweet said MS is happy with the success but of course didn’t specify it was a sales success.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I bought the game, but never played it. My friend, who knows my tastes almost as well as I do, recommended it. I am pleased to hear Tango getting a cash injection. (also hoping to make time for Hi-Fi)

"Plans To Reinvest In Tango Gameworks"

How kind. Would be nice from MS to invest in an MS studio.
I don't think you quite understand what he means, yes they own them but that's completely different from giving them money to fund more projects. For instance they could have them supporting another team but instead they've been given the money to create more games off the critical success of HIFI Rush.

And likely the only way to preserve the game and it's use of music. Sega clearly implied that JSRF HD was coming after the JSR HD remake but it's clear when most of the soundtrack is from labels that don't exist anymore clearing that was going to be a huge hurdle.
The game is a MS game i.e it's on PC. The version with the original music will always be around just like how you can play GTA SA with the original music on PC.

Isn't he the same guy who said sales were disappointing and immediately had to walk it back with some lame ass video explaining how we all just took it the wrong way?

skit_data

Amazing how a journalist reports two diametrically opposed news on a subject and just keeps going. Does that ever happen in any other news media?

Top Bottom