• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb: 'Sea of Thieves might be coming to Switch and PlayStation'

Proelite

Xbox is a total nonfactor with shareholders.

I agree with that. They're not going to get angry with a non-factor unless it's burning billions, which is not what's happening since the division has 12% profit margins.

Last edited:

Beechos

Doesn't matter to me if the go multiplat, that's supposedly their end game anyway play games on anything anywhere. Of course they would like to be the gatekeeper so they don't have to give the 30% cut to sony/nintendo.

Ozzie666

Sea of Thieves derserves more success, so this is good to hear. It may be too little too late though, game is well past it's prime.

MarkMe2525

Would be a great move for the game and community. It's not my jam, but my daughter loves it when I get on with her. There is a big audience for a game like this on PlayStation and Switch.

Havoc2049

Interesting ...what about sailing? Is that improved/easier now for solo play? That's what I got hung up on in this game. Was possible but not fun

Why would they do that? That seems like such a bad idea. Is there some technical reason or just a silly design choice to dissuade people from playing solo?
This video does a great job at describing the life a solo slooper, along with its advantages and disadvantages.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It's the perfect game for kids of all ages. Make it happen MS. Bring more monkey Island stuff.

They could do so much with the game if the evolve it into a full fledged multiplatform title.

First...improve the standard combat.

pasterpl

Call of duty
overwatch
warzone
next diablo
potentially hifirush and SOT, and can imagine couple others
minecraft
skyrim online

Gaas games that ms publish on all platforms. It make sense for all MP Gaas tittles - more players = more mtx = more money. 💰

it is not going to be some kind of precedent

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Call of duty
overwatch
warzone
next diablo
potentially hifirush and SOT, and can imagine couple others
minecraft
skyrim online

Gaas games that ms publish on all platforms. It make sense for all MP Gaas tittles - more players = more mtx = more money. 💰

it is not going to be some kind of precedent
It is, though. GaaS or not, no one publishes games from non-acquired entities on competing platforms - unless there is an external pressure, e.g., license-holders, regulators, etc..

Also, Hi-Fi Rush isn't a GaaS game.

pasterpl

It is, though. GaaS or not, no one publishes games from non-acquired entities on competing platforms - unless there is an external pressure, e.g., license-holders, regulators, etc..

Also, Hi-Fi Rush isn't a GaaS game.
With hifi rush one can easily assume that switch/ps5 ports were ready when the game released on Xbox. This applies on to couple more games from recently acquired studios.

we will have to wait and see. We know about multiple Xbox console exclusives coming this year. Some may be ported 1-2 years later to ps/switch2 depending on MS. Remember Phil said they will decide on game on game basis.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
With hifi rush one can easily assume that switch/ps5 ports were ready when the game released on Xbox. This applies on to couple more games from recently acquired studios.

we will have to wait and see. We know about multiple Xbox console exclusives coming this year. Some may be ported 1-2 years later to ps/switch2 depending on MS. Remember Phil said they will decide on game on game basis.
Yes. But the case-by-case basis was for Zenimax games. So Hi-Fi Rush would qualify for this, but Sea of Thieves wouldn't.

I think at this point, we need to look past all those old statements that are not valid anymore and see this as a new strategy.

The only valid statement would be Tim Stuart's interview ~40 days ago during Wells Fargo Investment Conference where he confirmed that Xbox is about to deploy "a new strategy" to bring first-party experiences to PlayStation and Nintendo.

I think Xbox's next showcase / developer direct will clear up a lot of things.

pasterpl

Yes. But the case-by-case basis was for Zenimax games. So Hi-Fi Rush would qualify for this, but Sea of Thieves wouldn't.

I think at this point, we need to look past all those old statements that are not valid anymore and see this as a new strategy.

The only valid statement would be Tim Stuart's interview ~40 days ago during Wells Fargo Investment Conference where he confirmed that Xbox is about to deploy "a new strategy" to bring first-party experiences to PlayStation and Nintendo.

I think Xbox's next showcase / developer direct will clear up a lot of things.
The statement that day later Phil himself clarified/debunked?

SoT is fairly old game and reached max penetration on platforms it exists now, it is GaaS - this might be like Sony Gaas probably day 1 on pc as well. You need huge potential player base for gaas to be successful.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
The statement that day later Phil himself clarified/debunked?

SoT is fairly old game and reached max penetration on platforms it exists now, it is GaaS - this might be like Sony Gaas probably day 1 on pc as well. You need huge potential player base for gaas to be successful.
That's the difference.

Tim told their strategy to investors. Phil "debunked" it on Twitter to put out the fires just before the Holiday sales. People missed that context.

Also, Tim said the new strategy is to bring "first-party experiences and subscription services to all screens, including PlayStation and Nintendo." Phil debunked only half the part, i.e., "We have no plans to bring Xbox Game Pass to PlayStation or Nintendo."

Phil never debunked anything about bringing first-party experiences to other consoles.

Besides, words are just words. Actions speak louder.

It is Tim's strategy (not Phil's) that we're seeing being played out today: these first-party games are reportedly being ported to competing consoles for the first time.

Last edited:

GHG

Not every game is supposed to click with you.

It has little handholding, Morrowind style exploration (finding treasure based on clues etc).

I suppose you couldn’t reach the good parts?

Give me a break man, this game is nothing like morrowind. It's very clearly a game aimed squarely at kids so it would come as no surprise to me if you enjoy it.

And please save the sales pitch, there's no point, the games a known quantity at this stage.

Last edited:

Baki

I agree with that. They're not going to get angry with a non-factor unless it's burning billions, which is not what's happening since the division has 12% profit margins.
They don’t. That was the target margin but not the actual margin

GHG

You make a statement. But don’t have anything to back it up.

Stop calling everything a sales pitch if you don’t understand something. Makes you look like an imbecile.

I don't call everything a sales pitch, just certain types of posts.

I really didn't ask for you to reply to me with some tech/customer support style questions.

I tried the game, I have my opinions on it - it's shallow as fuck and heavily relies upon player to player interactions to make the "fun" and that's that. It's ass. The game is filled with high pitched screaming kids, if that's your jam it's none of my business.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

Patiently waiting on news of Forza Horizon 5 to come to Ps5. (MS you know you want this money)

you-want-it-come-and-get-it.gif

I don't call everything a sales pitch, just certain types of posts.

I really didn't ask for you to reply to me with some tech/customer support style questions.

I tried the game, I have my opinions on it - it's shallow as fuck and heavily relies upon player to player interactions to make the "fun" and that's that. It's ass. The game is filled with high pitched screaming kids, if that's your jam it's none of my business.

I didn’t ask you to post bullshit comments about a game you don’t understand on a public forum either.

But you did that anyways.

I even put a Morrowind comparison to highlight something good about it, that you conveniently called a sales pitch.

I take it you are having some issues?

Exactly my point.

Yes, with you.

Now scurry along and do your thing with someone who cares.

Go Away GIF by Bounce

I wasn’t kidding with Morrowind comparison. I have receipts to prove.

But I get it. You don’t wanna discuss games. So only sales pitches for you going forward.

I remember the days when the likes of Wipeout or Krazi Ivan were brought to the Saturn or the N64 (wipeout) I don't think it worked and can't see it working now for XBox.
Crazy Taxi did sell ok for SEGA when it made it multi-platform but that marked the end of the DC and SEGA hardware dream.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Played this a couple years ago for a few months. Game is super fun when you are with friends and I had fun alone solo with the proximity chat and taunting or trying to befriend other players. Hope it sees a huge player surge.

Jadsey

I'd rather get FH5 please!

I actually bought SoT on release...I took it back to the game shop the same day and asked for a refund on the basis it wasn't actually a proper game. The manager agreed with me and gave me a full refund!

I think everybody will be content if Microsoft releases some third party games but also acquires Square Enix and/or Sega.
I remember when SEGA allowed some of its console games to appear on the PC Engine and NES and it made no difference to Mega Drive sales and the same was true when Wipeout and the likes came out on the Saturn and N64
but then also remember when Crazy Taxi and F335 came out on the PS2 and then was the end of SEGA LOL

If it is all about cross play then sure some fans can see the sense and merit in that. I don't think its a good move or can see PS fanboy who ripped Sea Of Thieves apart buying the title at £70

Last edited:
but then also remember when Crazy Taxi and F335 came out on the PS2 and then was the end of SEGA LOL
The difference is that Sega did not have finances. At all. They basically one day woke up and realized that they have run out of money and cannot proceed. Also EA abandoned them completely I believe. It would be basically like FIFA stopping to be released on Xbox.

Sega's situation was different.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
You: "it's like morrowind"

The reality:

Yeah the PVP in this game is really, really bad. Especially with randos. Extremely unrewarding, too. The entire game seems designed around grifting other players.

Couldn't help but laugh at the trolling in the second part of the video though, at first it really seemed like a kid but as soon as he started quoting Joseph Seed it was pretty clear lmao.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I think everybody will be content if Microsoft releases some third party games but also acquires Square Enix and/or Sega.
People can kiss Xbox acquisitions goodbye for a while now.

It is partly because of these large-scale acquisitions they are in this mess now. They won't add more to their burdens.

RickMasters

It's been out a year and didn't "attract people to their eco system". Even a large majority of people already within their ecosystem didn't care, as was pointed out in the other 14-plus page Windows Central thread. Half the people who downloaded or bought the game on Xbox platforms didn't beat the first boss.

If their own playerbase isn't playing it when it's offered to them as part of their subscription service, why not take the chance a year later to sell more copies on other platforms where there's a larger install base?

That is more a result of them not having a larger user base in the first place. Which is something they need to work on, not least of all due to lack of first exclusives in the first place. That makes releasing their games on other platforms counterintuitive……

Stuff like sea of theives makes sense. Hi fi rush doesn’t. You could argue that any exclusive would sell more if it’s multiformat but that is not why exclusives exist. They exist to attract player to a platform, something MS had lacked for generations.

I’m all to aware that Xbox is not selling well but they won’t gain any kind of market position by giving people even less reason to buy their console.

ManaByte

Gold Member
The difference is that Sega did not have finances. At all. They basically one day woke up and realized that they have run out of money and cannot proceed. Also EA abandoned them completely I believe. It would be basically like FIFA stopping to be released on Xbox.

Sega's situation is different.

People weren't around for that and don't understand the differences.

You're right about the finances, but it was 100% on SoJ's part. SOA actually had a solid plan and had SoA reached its 5 million sales target; the DC probably would've lasted a little longer. But there's no way in hell it could've hit 5 million in the US with the EA boycott and endless FUD telling people not to buy the system and to wait for the PS2 (which wasn't even revealed until AFTER the Western DC launch). But again, it was all on SoJ and their stupid arrogance and war with SoA that started with the Saturn and ended with their death. There are some great documentaries about how Tom Kalinski went into SoJ and told them they were full of shit and didn't know what they were doing, so they allowed him to run SoA the way he wanted and the result was a very strong Genesis in the West. But that bruised SoJ's ego and they went to war with SoA towards the end of the MD/Genesis gen and actively worked to sabotage anything SoA was doing. It was mind-boggingly stupid and it's what killed them in the end.

S
You're right about the finances, but it was 100% on SoJ's part.
SoJ was too arrogant. I remember Peter Moore mentioned that they had a talk with japanese branch and showed them the video where kids did not find Sega brand attractive or whatever (for old people and so on). Kinda reminds me of Xbox now. And people at Sega Japan did not believe that.

Sega's situation was different.
SEGA did bring games over to the PC Engine and also NES. I think Sonic Team even made a PS 1 game at one stage.
It wasn't that long ago mind SONY games used to come out the SEGA Saturn of all systems LOL

I'm sure MS investor are in ecstasy for MS to spend millions again lol
They will show that post ABK they got another 2-3b in profits and everybody will be happy. 2023Q1 they had 50b/18b. 2023Q2 they had 53b/16b. 2024Q1 they had 56b/22b. In Q2 (post ABK) they might go above 60b and 25b in profits. Will investors care?

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
They will show that post ABK they got another 2-3b in profits and everybody will be happy. 2023Q1 they had 50b/18b. 2023Q2 they had 53b/16b. 2024Q1 they had 56b/22b. In Q2 (post ABK) they might go above 60b and 25b in profits. Will investors care?
Great for a 100 billion they added 3 billion annually and reaps those profits in about 30 years assuming that nothing changes in the world.

Top Bottom