• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves arrives on PS5 April 30th

PlayStation players are in for a treat, Best Pirate game ever made!

Rare knows excellent game design. See you on the High Seas. 🐸

Not exactly a crowed market, is it?

Anyway, best of luck to the game with its newly expanded audience. It'll probably do pretty decently on PS5, and 99% likely a Switch 2 version will be out when that system launches.

TexMex

It does with SoT. Everything is server side (it's a MMO) and it tracks EVERYTHING.

They usually turn off achievements at the start of a season due to the server load. But then when they turn them back on you get them retroactively.

Has a developer confirmed that they pop?

DJ12

PlayStation players are in for a treat, Best Pirate game ever made!

Rare knows excellent game design. See you on the High Seas. 🐸
GIF by Giffffr

nemiroff

Gold Member
How is the single player experience with this ?
Well, I wish the main game had a fleshed out PvE only mode, but the single player / co-op content is still great. The Pirates of the Carribean and Monkey Island expansions (free) are pretty damn cool.

Can you play this game solo or do you need friends for it to be fun?
You can both play the PvPvE and the solo/co-op expansions alone. But the PvP portion _might_ be frustrating in solo until you learn better how to avoid the worst of the griefing. Expect to spend an hour looting for then to lose it all when veteran pirates suddenly appears around a corner.

DeaDPo0L84

SoT is easily one of the best live service games. Obviously it had a rough launch but it's a game in its own category, really unique.

T-0800

No PS4 version? Day 1 for me if the price is good otherwise I might wait for the first sail. See what I did there?

Last edited:

nikos

I redownloaded the game on PC yesterday after trying it a few times but never playing for too long.

Always enjoyed it but the lack of direction was always a little discouraging. It seems they really improved the game in that regard.

Neat, I will check it out once it arrives to Playstation Plus catalog
If MS has any intent on retaining the value and importance of Gamepass when it comes to their business model, this will never happen. MS could literally decide to get out of the hardware side of games entirely, and it still wouldn't make sense to put their games on Sony's version of their subscription service.

MarkMe2525

I can't tell you how much fun I've had playing this with my daughter and brother. Absolute no go in Solo though, boring as all hell.

I played this game for a couple of hours when it first launched and while it had charm it was pretty boring, has it changed much since?

ManaByte

Gold Member
Can anyone who's played SOT and skull and bones tell me how they compare?

They're not even the same game. SOT you play as a pirate, Skull and Bones you play as a ship. SOT is a AAA pirate MMO made by one of the best developers on the planet. Skull and Bones is an UbiSoft extortion scam to get money from the Singapore government and it's basically one of those cheap mobile games you see advertised. SOT is one of the best games in the last decade. Skull and Bones is one of the worst games ever made. UbiSoft is trying to charge $70-100 for Skull and Bones. SoT is usually $40.

Last edited:

panda-zebra

If MS has any intent on retaining the value and importance of Gamepass when it comes to their business model, this will never happen. MS could literally decide to get out of the hardware side of games entirely, and it still wouldn't make sense to put their games on Sony's version of their subscription service.
An MTX-heavy GaaS game landing on a foreign sub could make sense. As with the game ports themselves, it'd be a case-by-case basis, but more something for further down the line; just no point ruling the idea out completely when it could make prefect business sense.

MS surely is rushing with the launchs. More incoming soony.
It's crazy that MS might be helping out Sony immensely since their PS studios 2024 plans are not packed at all.

At Ubisoft the only possible response to this must have been "ffs, now we don't even have the PS platform for ourselves".

I don't think this is a game I like. Never were much of a Jack Sparrow, Master Commander and whatnot fan, the topic is just not for me, no matter if funny or serious. I might try for free, but have zero interest in buying.

Kerotan

They're not even the same game. SOT you play as a pirate, Skull and Bones you play as a ship. SOT is a AAA pirate MMO made by one of the best developers on the planet. Skull and Bones is an UbiSoft extortion scam to get money from the Singapore government and it's basically one of those cheap mobile games you see advertised. SOT is one of the best games in the last decade. Skull and Bones is one of the worst games ever made. UbiSoft is trying to charge $70-100 for Skull and Bones. SoT is usually $40.
I laughed so much. Good to hear though. Tbf if you're into pirate ship simulator you might like skull and bones and I have a friend who does.

Top Bottom