• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb: 'Sea of Thieves might be coming to Switch and PlayStation'

Elios83

Oh of course they won't pull the plug per se. It is just that they won't release another console.

Rumors are that they have already canceled the 2024 Xbox Series X refresh -- which makes sense if they have opted to become a third-party publisher instead. So Series X and S would be the last Xbox consoles in that case.

The Series X refresh makes total sense though if only to reduce their manufacturing costs by also getting rid of the disc drive cost and allow them to reach lower prices which they absolutely need if they want to move some units.
It's already surprising they haven't done any refresh until now...

You say that it makes sense to scrap it if they have decided to go basically third party but that will be gradual and could take a few years. It's not like we'll see Hellblade or Indiana Jones on other platforms this year for example.
So a refresh is only going to help their bottomline in the hardware business. The only thing that could change is the launch price if they care about moving units because 499$ is not viable for them.

Edit: I thought I was replying in the thread about Microsoft's leaked plans lol :pie_grinning_sweat: :messenger_tears_of_joy: 👀 This is my opinion on the Series X refresh anyway.

Last edited:

Pelta88

The Series X refresh makes total sense though if only to reduce their manufacturing costs by also getting rid of the disc drive cost and allow them to reach lower prices which they absolutely need if they want to move some units.
It's already surprising they haven't done any refresh until now...

I mean, there's lower prices and there's free. Given how low the console has already been priced at, I'm guessing free is the next tier.

Astray

Gold Member
I like how most of this thread is console warrior nonsense and nobody has mentioned the fact that this would be the first Rare game on a Nintendo console since the buyout or that this is the first Rare game on a Sony console in history.

Typical GAF.
Because.. nobody cares about Rare anymore?

Lost all credibility after two or three complete misses in a row, namely Wind Waker HD ant TP coming to Switch, now over 18 months later from the prediction. I think if you're completely wrong that often, you should just stop trying to make these predictions. Now he's just saying "Maybe this _____ will happen?" So that's something anyone could say, without needing insider info.

Last edited:

daTRUballin

Because.. nobody cares about Rare anymore?
So instead, we care more about having the billionth stupid console warrior fights and arguments?

You know, for a developer that "nobody cares about anymore", we sure do seem to get lots of threads on Sea of Thieves here and the fact that this game is coming to other systems sure has a lot of people riled up in this thread. Hmm.....

Astray

Gold Member
So instead, we care more about having the billionth stupid console warrior fights and arguments?

You know, for a developer that "nobody cares about anymore", we sure do seem to get lots of threads on Sea of Thieves here and the fact that this game is coming to other systems sure has a lot of people riled up in this thread. Hmm.....
Because of the significance of this game and others like it coming on what used to be rival consoles.

nemiroff

Gold Member
OMG AWESOME DREAM COME TRUE...

Na I'm kidding, keep it into Xbox thanks

Excited Poo GIF by BBC Earth

daTRUballin

Because of the significance of this game and others like it coming on what used to be rival consoles.
I still don't think that if nobody had cared about Rare or SoT that we'd still have many people talking about this news. Your original statement is obviously an exaggeration.

Last edited:

Sanepar

Tbh I think the only 2 games that would make a diff being on playstation consoles are forza horizon series and gears.

Dr_Ifto

I mean, there's lower prices and there's free. Given how low the console has already been priced at, I'm guessing free is the next tier.
"Sign up for 3 years of Gamepass, get a FREE XBOX Series S!"

- New customers only. One per household. Restrictions Apply.

Last edited:

Shwing

I'm sorry, but anyone who has a bad thing to say about Sea of Thieves either hasn't played it, or hasn't played with mates.
It is one of the most fun games to mess around with your pals - Laughter a plenty!
Love it!

Astray

Gold Member
I still don't think that if nobody had cared about Rare or SoT that we'd still have many people talking about this news. Your original statement is obviously an exaggeration.
I assure you that literally no one cares about Rare as a company now, how many of their pre-SOT games even hit any kind of big sales milestone? People stopped caring almost immediately after Nintendo sold them. Their heyday has long passed for various reasons.

Kudos for them on SoT's success, but we're not talking about a Fortnite-level hit there either.

Also you are severely downplaying the impact of things like SoT or Hifi Rush landing on other platforms, anyone who's interested in how platforms are managed or grown should have an interest in this event because it signals a change in how the larger Xbox ecosystem is managed, not everyone is there to dunk on others.

DosGamer

This is actually big news and I wonder if UbiSoft knew anything about it. Seems like Skull and Bones went thru a ton of changes. Having played SOT.... this is absolutely huge!!!

daTRUballin

I assure you that literally no one cares about Rare as a company now, how many of their pre-SOT games even hit any kind of big sales milestone? People stopped caring almost immediately after Nintendo sold them. Their heyday has long passed for various reasons.

Kudos for them on SoT's success, but we're not talking about a Fortnite-level hit there either.

Also you are severely downplaying the impact of things like SoT or Hifi Rush landing on other platforms, anyone who's interested in how platforms are managed or grown should have an interest in this event because it signals a change in how the larger Xbox ecosystem is managed, not everyone is there to dunk on others.
You're not exactly wrong that their heyday when they would release multiple best-selling and critically successful titles on a yearly basis has passed, but it's a bit disingenuous to say that nobody cares about them when even you yourself have admitted that SoT is a success. If you had told me this 10 years ago, you wouldn't have seen any arguments from me, but things have changed.

SoT doesn't need to be a Fortnite-level success. None of Rare's games have ever been a Fortnite-level success anyway. At least not in terms of raw sales numbers. As for their pre-SoT games, you're forgetting that their Kinect Sports games did huge numbers, even if that's not a game series that most fans would care to use as a positive example.

The only thing about modern Rare that I absolutely can't get over is their extremely slow speed of output. I'm sure even more people would care if they had been releasing more games, but what can you do?

Beechos

This is all apart of the plan. MS games will eventually execute software on ps5 that brick the usb c port rendering the psvr 2 useless unless they pay 100 billion Iranian rial.

Top Bottom