• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Verge: MS launching Hi-Fi Rush and Pentiment on other platforms, Sea of Thieves later in 2024

To the average gamer it makes zero difference. You have a game that was an exclusive get released on another platform. That's it. People can spin it however they want though.

HiFi Rush was made by Tango Gameworks, published by Bethesda, and the only reason it's considered 1st party is because MS bought Bethesda. Sea of Thieves came out in 2018 and it makes a lot of sense (as long as cross-play is the intention) for that type of game to try and expand the player base, because it is a multiplayer focused game. I don't think it's this monumental seismic shift to take a game like Sea of Thieves, which is coming up on being 6 years old now (by the way), and releasing it on other platforms, again, if the intention is to increase the player population through cross-play. It's not a game that has a sequel come out every 2-3 years. It's a live service that has continual releases of content. Now, if MS comes out and starts saying games like Halo and Gears will all be multiplatform then people can freak out. Up until now though the speculation has gotten way out of control.

If the argument is it's because Sea of Thieves is a GaaS then that applies to Halo, Gears and Forza

They're coming babe

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

I can’t, unfortunately after owning ps4 pro, bought only for Sony exclusives (all multi platforms were Xbox one x or pc), I dont find Sony exclusive interesting, bought them once for ps4 pro so no point of me buying them again on pc if I didn’t like it then, I doubt I will like these now. I much preferred PS3 generation Sony exclusives. PS5 seems to be mostly sequel machine so have zero interest in sequels to games I didn’t like.
Your personal preferences has nothing to do with the conversation at hand.

The point being made was that Sony also started of with just a few games, but now, you can say that most PS5 games will make their way to PC eventually. And that the same thing will happen with Xbox with regards to their games on PlayStation.

If you are interested in PS games, really isn't our business or pertinent to the conversation being had. Nor is it anyone's business that I think what you said about the whole PS games stuff is disingenuous. To be honest I find everyone that says stuff like what you said highly suspect. Because under scrutiny it always falls apart. In the same way I would think anyone that says they don't like anything MS puts out to be full of shit. But that's neither here nor there.

Ar¢tos

I don't think pentiment is the right choice. I don't see Nintendo and ps fans clambering for pentiment, that game only worked cause of gamepass. Should be grounded if you ask me, would sell far far better
I'll buy Pentiment if it costs 5€ or less (or I'll wait a couple of months for the price to drop that low).
The game looks like it could be ported in a couple of weeks by an unpaid intern to run without even any optimization on a toaster, so it makes sense to port it, whatever profit it generates, it's easy money.

Varteras

Gold Member
Fuck it i'll go with the end of 2024

If i'm wrong i'll drink Banjo64 Banjo64 cum
Here We Go Again GIF

Jesb

There all gonna come. Just gonna be exclusive to Xbox first. Exact same way Sony does it on PC.

1 year. That’s my feeling. Kind of what we’ve seen with third party games exclusive to gamepass/xbox on release: the medium, Scorn, High on Life, etc.
Isn't that too long though? You know that a game after 6 months starts to lose the hype and impact it would make, 6 months would be better for sales but it would probably cause a massive uproar.

The other issue is Gamepass effecting the initial sales which is unavoidable with the day 1 release. I'd look into bringing the bigger releases (AAA titles) within a 3 month window to Gamepass to give a chance to sell a reasonable amount while not hurting the subscribers too much.

Killjoy-NL

Hi-Fi Rush about to go boom. The game is super well done and I'm certain our PlayStation brothers will enjoy it equally as much.
With a much larger installbase on Playstation, it's easy to sell more copies than on Xbox itself.

Personally, I don't see any Xbox game being a major hit on Playstation.
They just don't have that AAA-quality Sony does. Not since XBO was released.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Nobody actually bought it on Xbox, it's free on GamePass....
Fair point. Lol

Still, I don't think the majority of the Playstation installbase really cares about Xbox games and the ones that do most likely do so out of nostalgia.

They're fun games in between the big games at best.

Ozriel

M$FT
So this is what we do now? Just straight up lies?
1 example but there's lots of other in those leaked emails.

I don’t believe ‘win’ using in that context translates to ‘outselling PlayStation’, and your link is misleadingly tagging on ‘next generation’ to the actual statement he made and skewing the headline.

Show me where any of that is featured in the leaked emails. ‘Lots’ indeed.

Ozriel

M$FT
Fair point. Lol

Still, I don't think the majority of the Playstation installbase really cares about Xbox games and the ones that do most likely do so out of nostalgia.

They're fun games in between the big games at best.

interesting. You believe PlayStation would be the only platform where Forza Horizon games would be unpopular?
Or that the people who made Hellblade sell much better than Ninja Theory expected on the PlayStation would be only interested in a sequel out of ‘nostalgia’?
Doom? Elder Scrolls? An Indiana Jones game?

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I don’t believe ‘win’ using in that context translates to ‘outselling PlayStation’, and your link is misleadingly tagging on ‘next generation’ to the actual statement he made and skewing the headline.

Show me where any of that is featured in the leaked emails. ‘Lots’ indeed.
Yeah he's using winning as losing in this context which is basicaly the same thing right ?So there's no puiblic statements except those that you chose to ignore.
So I guess you will ignore the mails too?

Killjoy-NL

interesting. You believe PlayStation would be the only platform where Forza Horizon games would be unpopular?
Or that the people who made Hellblade sell much better than Ninja Theory expected on the PlayStation would be only interested in a sequel out of ‘nostalgia’?
Doom? Elder Scrolls? An Indiana Jones game?
Not what I'm saying at all.

I'm saying Xbox games on Playstation is fun to argue about on gaming forums, but it's not really a great catch quality-wise.

With Xbox games on Playstation, we'll see direct comparisons for the first time and it'll highlight the mediocrity put out by XBG.
Part of the reason why Xbox is dying.

Whether they'll be successful is relative. Depends on what is considered a success, but at the very least it'll create more revenue for Xbox compared to now.

Ozriel

M$FT
Yeah he's using winning as losing in this context which is basicaly the same thing right ?So there's no puiblic statements except those that you chose to ignore.

He’s using ‘winning’ in this context.

There he clearly states that he expects PC to cannibalize Xbox console sales and talks about the success metric for him being players

You clearly were too busy googling up shit to support your argument that you failed to realize the link you provided made up the headline 🤣

So I guess you will ignore the mails too?

Yes, by all means explain how celebrating a power advantage translates to expectations of outselling the competition. Something that isn’t even stated there.

Why do you post links that you either haven’t read, or lack the ability to comprehend?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I hope they launch the next big gaas game day one on all platforms. Or maybe they try it to see if it reinvigorates sales 12 months after.

We should deffo do a big Gaf online Sea of thieves session

azertydu91

Hard to Kill

There he clearly states that he expects PC to cannibalize Xbox console sales and talks about the success metric for him being players

You clearly were too busy googling up shit to support your argument that you failed to realize the link you provided made up the headline 🤣

Yes, by all means explain how celebrating a power advantage translates to expectations of outselling the competition. Something that isn’t even stated there.

Why do you post links that you either haven’t read, or lack the ability to comprehend?
So to you we should redefine how to win a generation according to Phil's definition, then the mails don't count even when both times they say winning the generation.
But I guess your interpretation is better than an interview where Phil says exactly what you say he never said but I guess your interpretation is worth a lot more right ?

Maybe you should try to avoid saying that there haven't been public or private statements about it when a quick google search (because what else do you want when you are asking for receipts?) shows it to be totally wrong, no matter what bullshit interpretation you are desperately trying to extrapolate from the exact words you tried to deny.The only clear thing is that you will negate each and every sentence proving you wrong just like you did.
Like that article look at the video, like those mails where they say they feel happy and think they will win this gen.

Ozriel

M$FT
So to you we should redefine how to win a generation according to Phil's definition, then the mails don't count even when both times they say winning the generation.
But I guess your interpretation is better than an interview where Phil says exactly what you say he never said but I guess your interpretation is worth a lot more right ?

You’ve failed to provide even ONE source where he says they’re winning the generation by outselling the competition.

Do you truly not realize that the link you provided is the article author inserting that paraphrase themselves?

There’s a reason why other outlet like VG247 and Gamespot reported that same interview without the sensationalist crap you fished out.

where Phil says exactly what you say he never said

except Phil never said those words himself.

Like that article look at the video, like those mails where they say they feel happy and think they will win this gen.

You mean like the email you shared where he said he feels happy with their spec advantage and their design choices…but where ‘outselling PlayStation’ was never mentioned?

How do you lack the ability to read what you posted?

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
You’ve failed to provide even ONE source where he says they’re winning the generation by outselling the competition.

Do you truly not realize that the link you provided is the article author inserting that paraphrase themselves?

There’s a reason why other outlet like VG247 and Gamespot reported that same interview without the sensationalist crap you fished out.

except Phil never said those words himself.

You mean like the email you shared where he said he feels happy with their spec advantage and their design choices…but where ‘outselling PlayStation’ was never mentioned?

How do you lack the ability to read what you posted?
So you want an actual quote of phil saying "we will win the generation by selling more console"....Really ?Like a real human being saying this totally not robotic and weird sentence?
You have no better straws to grasp at ?
Because just to recap someone said Phil planned to win the generation, you said it has never been said nor leaked, I provided the receipts both time, with one even being Phil in an interview saying we have a plan to win the generation, the exact thing you said he never said.
But now it has to be "we will win by selling more console" but the thing is since you move goalpost even if I find this sentence it will become "we will win by selling more than twice the competition" then it will be "we will outspend the competition" ....Oops they did say that so nevermind.
So to look for Phil saying that they will win the gen I need to find a quote that is not we will win this gen....Do you see the paradox there?
But again without considering any bullshit interpretation
poster A : Phil said they have a plan to win the gen
You: he never said that!!!!!
Me: Provide the interview with this exact wording
You: yeah but winning means something diferent.
So winning means something different between poster A and the receipts, unless even if Phil considers winning something different it has absolutely no bearing about the fact that he said it, you just chose to interpret it differently between poster A and the interview....Why?What kind of proof do you want just tell me because this everchanging perception that you have of words and their concepts will not help.
Just cut the bullshit, winning the gen is selling more and you can see that the feel confidant the will win this gen, you are just moving goalposts.
Because no matter how you interpret it they said it, the rest is just speculation from your part.

Ozriel

M$FT
So you want an actual quote of phil saying "we will win the generation by selling more console"....Really ?Like a real human being saying this totally not robotic and weird sentence?
You have no better straws to grasp at ?
Because just to recap someone said Phil planned to win the generation, you said it has never been said nor leaked, I provided the receipts both time, with one even being Phil in an interview saying we have a plan to win the generation, the exact thing you said he never said.
But now it has to be "we will win by selling more console" but the thing is since you move goalpost even if I find this sentence it will become "we will win by selling more than twice the competition" then it will be "we will outspend the competition" ....Oops they did say that so nevermind.
So to look for Phil saying that they will win the gen I need to find a quote that is not we will win this gen....Do you see the paradox there?
But again without considering any bullshit interpretation
poster A : Phil said they have a plan to win the gen
You: he never said that!!!!!
You: yeah but winning means something diferent.
So winning means something different between poster A and the receipts, unless even if Phil considers winning something different it has absolutely no bearing about the fact that he said it, you just chose to interpret it differently between poster A and the interview....Why?What kind of proof do you want just tell me because this everchanging perception that you have of words and their concepts will not help.
Just cut the bullshit, winning the gen is selling more and you can see that the feel confidant the will win this gen, you are just moving goalposts.
Because no matter how you interpret it they said it, the rest is just speculation from your part.

I literally provided a pre-launch interview with the guardian where Spencer clearly specified what ‘winning’ meant to Xbox. Players, in his own words. Not a paraphrase. An interview where he directly admitted that PC would cannibalize console sales, and where he insisted - as always - that console sales weren’t the all important metric for his division.
But I realize I’m arguing with someone who will not read, so…

If you still cannot understand you never did this, then there’s a very wide comprehension gap that I fear we cannot bridge.

If you don’t know what square brackets mean, then you have much bigger concerns than arguing on a gaming forum.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I literally provided a pre-launch interview with the guardian where Spencer clearly specified what ‘winning’ meant to Xbox. Players, in his own words. Not a paraphrase. An interview where he directly admitted that PC would cannibalize console sales, and where he insisted - as always - that console sales weren’t the all important metric for his division.
But I realize I’m arguing with someone who will not read, so…

If you still cannot understand you never did this, then there’s a very wide comprehension gap that I fear we cannot bridge.

If you don’t know what square brackets mean, then you have much bigger concerns than arguing on a gaming forum.
Yeah my bad he never said it because he has another definition that is somehow a reason that justifies how when he said it, it didn't count....
Your mental gymnastic:
chair fail GIF

Honestly I get better responses talking to a brick wall, so I won't bother responding anymore and will leave you in your own reality bending bubble.(Don't worry maybe some of my words have different interpretations).

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I have seen people talk about how making all Bethesda games timed exclusive and XGS games full exclusive is enough for the ecosystem to still thrive.
Those big exclusives have worked out sooooo welll for Xbox!

It's resulted in....check notes.
1. Decreasing console sales
2. Stagnant gamepass subscriptions.

But don't worry, it's all gonna change for Microsoft.

Ozriel

M$FT
Those big exclusives have worked out sooooo welll for Xbox!

It's resulted in....check notes.
1. Decreasing console sales
2. Stagnant gamepass subscriptions.

But don't worry, it's all gonna change for Microsoft.

Yes, the situation would have been better if no games were released

The Rock Eye Roll GIF by WWE

Mr.Phoenix

This is more plausible but for how long would it be exclusive IYO?
But isnt that what a lot of us have been saying?

I don't believe they will ALL come. I think the more expensive games, the ones with the $100-$200M budgets are more likely to come than the smaller titles. And the smaller titles that do come will be the most popular ones. Basically, the ones that have the highest chance of selling well.

As for duration, I would say 30-90 days or at most one year. Gamepass day 1 pretty much comes off as MS giving away those games for peanuts. So chances are they would keep the "other platforms" launch of the games as close as possible to its release on gamepass to ride the hype train. In the grand scheme of things, the fact that its on gamepass day 1 should mean they don't even have to delay before releasing on other platforms. gamepass and Xbox will still be the cheapest way to play their games. I think that is what they would push going forward, as opposed to them being exclusive. Get it here first and for less.

My really crazy idea is that their market strategy may change such that, the games are available on gamepass/xbox store day 1 but not even available on PC for sale Day 1. They become available on Steam for sale at the same time they become available on the PlayStation.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

This definition of winning is the guy who get rejected by every girl, but still believes he won because he is the "nice guy"

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
But isnt that what a lot of us have been saying?

I don't believe they will ALL come. I think the more expensive games, the ones with the $100-$200M budgets are more likely to come than the smaller titles. And the smaller titles that do come will be the most popular ones. Basically, the ones that have the highest chance of selling well.

As for duration, I would say 30-90 days or at most one year. Gamepass day 1 pretty much comes off as MS giving away those games for peanuts. So chances are they would keep the "other platforms" launch of the games as close as possible to its release on gamepass as possible to ride the hype train. In the grand scheme of things, the fact that its on gamepass day 1 should mean they don't even have to delay before releasing on other platforms. gamepass and Xbox will still be the cheapest way to play their games. I think that is what they would push going forward, as opposed to them being exclusive. Get it here first and for less.

My really crazy idea is that their market strategy may change such that, the games are available on gamepass/xbox store day 1 but not even available on PC for sale Day 1. They become available on Steam for sale at the same time they become available on the PlayStation.
I still think Gamepass is going to change. Maybe not today or thursday, but it still has to have some degree of sustainability and growth.

What would I do with Gamepass?

1. Get rid of Day 1 exclusives. Give them a 1 year window.
2. Drop the price to $9.99 a month. $99 a year.
3. Release an indie/legacy only option for $4.99 a month with older legacy titles. $50 a year

Would that likely do anything? I doubt it, but I am just throwing shit out there.

Last edited:

DJ12

1 year. That’s my feeling. Kind of what we’ve seen with third party games exclusive to gamepass/xbox on release: the medium, Scorn, High on Life, etc.
Worst case possible for MS is releasing them at the same time as xbox.

Releasing hot garbage like starfield, redfall and forza in the state they released them for xbox would killed the third party experiment before it really begun.

1 year is absolute minimum for them to get everything fixed with the beta testers, then go all in for the paying customers releasing a banging product.

What he says makes perfect sense when he refers to that hypothetical as a "PR blunder". I mean.....your post is basically agreeing with that, isn't it?
How does that make any sense when if anything this has been Microsoft’s stance since acquiring bathesda. That they would evaluate games on a case by case basis. This could just be a rouse for the regulatory bodies of the world that they’ve maintained that status quo. People ran with their own rumors because of their own obsession with the death of Xbox and console warrior fudder. So if they get upset that Xbox is not going anywhere and Microsoft is only putting smaller titles on PlayStation and switch that’s on them not some manufactured pr blunder. A three trillion dollar company doesn’t have to come out and address every rumor people come up with for clicks.

Top Bottom