• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Verge: MS launching Hi-Fi Rush and Pentiment on other platforms, Sea of Thieves later in 2024

DryvBy

There all gonna come. Just gonna be exclusive to Xbox first. Exact same way Sony does it on PC.

That's still bad for Xbox as a good chunk of their games come out in a state that feels unfinished for months. Halo Infinite launched with tons of missing features. Starfield is getting rid of a good chunk of their bugs. Sea of Thieves launched in a horrible state (the Kraken wasn't even finished on launch day). Xbox always feels like a launch isn't the version 1.0 launch.

Xbox truly is the place to test the QA of their games for other platforms.

Mr.Phoenix

I still think Gamepass is going to change. Maybe not today or thursday, but it still has to have some degree of sustainability and growth.

What would I do with Gamepass?

1. Get rid of Day 1 exclusives. Give them a 1 year window.
2. Drop the price to $9.99 a month. $99 a year.
3. Release an indie only option for $4.99 a month with older legacy titles. $50 a year

Would that likely do anything? I doubt it, but I am just throwing shit out there.
I kinda agree. But i also have my doubts. I believe it will change some, but can't change too much because of how hard MS has pushed it since 2017. Changing it to be more like PS+ (again), would be too much an admission of defeat that I feel MS pride will never allow them do.

The whole point of gamepass, and why they released it on PC, was to have a massive subscriber base. From its inception in 2017, they probably figured that by now they have over 100M full-time gamepass subscribers between Xbox and PC. If that actually happened, none of what we are seeing or hearing about now would be happening. One thing for certain though is that some changes are coming. I even expect some version of gamepass to come to PS. Kinda like EA play or is it access... whatever its called.
Worst case possible for MS is releasing them at the same time as xbox.

Releasing hot garbage like starfield, redfall and forza in the state they released them for xbox would killed the third party experiment before it really begun.

1 year is absolute minimum for them to get everything fixed with the beta testers, then go all in for the paying customers releasing a banging product.
Not really, I actually think its the opposite. The best case for Xbox is releasing the games at the same time on all platforms. The fact they have them on gamepass day 1 is "exclusive" enough. And you want to ride that wave. Think about it, with the hype that surrounded Starfeild, it likely would still have sold more than 5M copies on PS5. You wait a year, after all the shit-talking on the game, it would be lucky to sell 1M copies.

The bottom line is, if they actually plan on releasing a game on all applicable platforms, it does absolutely nothing for them to make it a timed exclusive. The market dynamics of buying a game at full price and renting it on a service, are so different that they do not compete with each other across platforms. So in that case, why should they even make it a timed release? Is it going to get them more Xbox buyers? or more gamepass subscribers?

Topher

Gold Member
There’s no public statement or any material leaked from MS with this claim. At all.

Address that here...

He told Nadella that they had the "ingredients for a winning plan". He sounded very confident to me. He didn't come out and say they were going to win, but I think he definitely believed they could.

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F54bbcb81-6313-411a-8a6b-222afa55405d_796x766.jpeg

Yeah, his tune changed dramatically after reality set in.

How does that make any sense when if anything this has been Microsoft’s stance since acquiring bathesda. That they would evaluate games on a case by case basis. This could just be a rouse for the regulatory bodies of the world that they’ve maintained that status quo. People ran with their own rumors because of their own obsession with the death of Xbox and console warrior fudder. So if they get upset that Xbox is not going anywhere and Microsoft is only putting smaller titles on PlayStation and switch that’s on them not some manufactured pr blunder. A three trillion dollar company doesn’t have to come out and address every rumor people come up with for clicks.

And yet this three trillion dollar company is addressing these rumors. But if what they say in this podcast turns out to be a whole bunch of nothing then folks are going to be rightfully pissed that they didn't just address this shit in a simple blog post. That has nothing to do with console warrior bullshit.

XXL

I've been reading up about when Sega became a third party developer. It is shockingly similar. I would highly suggest reading up on it.

Here is a few articles about the rumors starting up.

Peter Moore interview talking about the end of the Dreamcast.

There is even alot of similar wording going on right now.

It's goes much deeper than what I posted, but it's a good place to start.

Mr.Phoenix

How does that make any sense when if anything this has been Microsoft’s stance since acquiring bathesda. That they would evaluate games on a case by case basis. This could just be a rouse for the regulatory bodies of the world that they’ve maintained that status quo. People ran with their own rumors because of their own obsession with the death of Xbox and console warrior fudder. So if they get upset that Xbox is not going anywhere and Microsoft is only putting smaller titles on PlayStation and switch that’s on them not some manufactured pr blunder. A three trillion dollar company doesn’t have to come out and address every rumor people come up with for clicks.
Ever heard the phrase " to talk outta both sides of your mouth"?

MS/Xbox/Phil are masters at doing that shit. Its politician speak, allows room for plausible deniability.

On one hand, in 2022 MS clearly said future Bethesda games will be exclusive, and I am sure if you dig deep enough, you will find where they say they have no plans on making future Bethesda games multiplatform. Which is the only thing that was in question being that no one expected Xbox Studios games to ever be multiplatform. But at the same time, especially during the whole acquisition saga, you would also find MS saying they would treat future releases on a case-by-case basis.

So which is it? When it suits them, they would say exclusive, and then when it suits them, they would say case by case.

We either believe everything they have said, or we believe nothing they have said. Either way, it just means that nothing they say has any credibility.

Both of you are right. Because MS said both. So that such an argument could even exist, is because those people just do not talk straight.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I kinda agree. But i also have my doubts. I believe it will change some, but can't change too much because of how hard MS has pushed it since 2017. Changing it to be more like PS+ (again), would be too much an admission of defeat that I feel MS pride will never allow them do.

The whole point of gamepass, and why they released it on PC, was to have a massive subscriber base. From its inception in 2017, they probably figured that by now they have over 100M full-time gamepass subscribers between Xbox and PC. If that actually happened, none of what we are seeing or hearing about now would be happening. One thing for certain though is that some changes are coming. I even expect some version of gamepass to come to PS. Kinda like EA play or is it access... whatever its called.

Not really, I actually think its the opposite. The best case for Xbox is releasing the games at the same time on all platforms. The fact they have them on gamepass day 1 is "exclusive" enough. And you want to ride that wave. Think about it, with the hype that surrounded Starfeild, it likely would still have sold more than 5M copies on PS5. You wait a year, after all the shit-talking on the game, it would be lucky to sell 1M copies.

The bottom line is, if they actually plan on releasing a game on all applicable platforms, it does absolutely nothing for them to make it a timed exclusive. The market dynamics of buying a game at full price and renting it on a service, are so different that they do not compete with each other across platforms. So in that case, why should they even make it a timed release? Is it going to get them more Xbox buyers? or more gamepass subscribers?
Call of Duty, I can pretty much guarantee with be on all platforms Day 1. That brings in too much revenue for MS and there is no way they would make up that loss being on Gamepass. I can see previous years Call of Duty games going on Gamepass.

DJ12

It's a valid point you make, but cyber punk 2977 proves the redemption arc is possible.

5 million quick snatch for broke software. Or 10 million for fixed and improved edition after a year / 6 months or whatever.

Obviously the correct course of action is just not to release broken shite but I'm not sure MS are capable at the minute.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
What exactly do you think you proved with that ? I said I don't usually buy games day 1, but I still buy some (gow/spiderman). I also pay for ps + to play online. I'm not sure what your point is?
That's because he interprets "usualy" as "always"...He does that sometimes, from recent experience it's best to just ignore it.

Ever heard the phrase " to talk outta both sides of your mouth"?

MS/Xbox/Phil are masters at doing that shit. Its politician speak, allows room for plausible deniability.

On one hand, in 2022 MS clearly said future Bethesda games will be exclusive, and I am sure if you dig deep enough, you will find where they say they have no plans on making future Bethesda games multiplatform. Which is the only thing that was in question being that no one expected Xbox Studios games to ever be multiplatform. But at the same time, especially during the whole acquisition saga, you would also find MS saying they would treat future releases on a case-by-case basis.

So which is it? When it suits them, they would say exclusive, and then when it suits them, they would say case by case.

We either believe everything they have said, or we believe nothing they have said. Either way, it just means that nothing they say has any credibility.

Both of you are right. Because MS said both. So that such an argument could even exist, is because those people just do not talk straight.
Phil never said that. He said the bathesda investment was to bolster game pass and they will evaluate games on a case by case basis. Since then they’ve shipped all updates for games on PlayStation and even Minecraft. Most of abk live service games will still continue to be on PlayStation. Nothing new they are saying now is some new thing. People have this narrative they want to push that Microsoft is going full third party when they’re not. That alone will ensure the people there don’t have jobs. People just like to extrapolate what they want out of these statements and make it what they want instead of just going by the facts that are already out there.

Address that here...

And yet this three trillion dollar company is addressing these rumors. But if what they say in this podcast turns out to be a whole bunch of nothing then folks are going to be rightfully pissed that they didn't just address this shit in a simple blog post. That has nothing to do with console warrior bullshit.
There were reports that they were already plans for this event because of possible changes to gamepass and implementation of abk games. Something they have to do by March due to the cma wanting to see how that implementation affects the markets. They were already going to do this. Did they move it up due to the widespread rumors that have mostly all been walked back because of clicks and engagement. Hifi rush and pentiment going to PlayStation and switch isn’t some death blow to Xbox. This is all because of console warriors wanting to port beg when in reality just get a PC and you can play both Sony and Microsoft games.

Topher

Gold Member
There were reports that they were already plans for this event because of possible changes to gamepass and implementation of abk games. Something they have to do by March due to the cma wanting to see how that implementation affects the markets. They were already going to do this. Did they move it up due to the widespread rumors that have mostly all been walked back because of clicks and engagement.

Yes, they moved up this event due to the growing controvery, clearly.

//DEVIL//

Helldivers 1 was released on PC in like 2015. Everybodys gone to the rapture, nioh, heavy rain etc was all before their "biggest" games.
Just FYI. If I am not mistaken. NONE of the games you mentioned are even Sony first party titles.

Nioh ? Heavy rain ? Sony don't even own the IP n

Well if it is Pentiment, that rules out the cope it's just going to be Bethesda and GaaS stuff.

Yep I fully expect MS to convince anyone who will listen that this is the case. I don't believe any of it and I 100% believe we will get more and more just slowly settle the fans into their new reality.

StereoVsn

Yours is just as much a matter of "belief" as anyone's, but there is just no logic behind suggesting Pentiment is a "big" game at all. But yes, I'll be shocked if Tom Warren actually described Pentiment as a "big" game. Makes absolutely no sense.
Isn’t this “big game” like under $10 during sales? One would have to do some serious mental gymnastics to describe it as such.

Ozriel

M$FT
What exactly do you think you proved with that ? I said I don't usually buy games day 1, but I still buy some (gow/spiderman). I also pay for ps + to play online. I'm not sure what your point is?

You specifically said you're paying for 'PS+ Extra'. That's the tier you pay for when you want to rent games from a library, not just to play online. You also said playing games from a sub service benefits you since you don't buy games day one.

Try not to hypocritically lecture people about 'renting games' and not paying full retail prices for games when that's pretty much what you do.

Topher

Gold Member
Isn’t this “big game” like under $10 during sales? One would have to do some serious mental gymnastics to describe it as such.

Tom Warren would be openly mocked and ridiculed if it were revealed that the "big one" he was talking about in that video was Pentiment. Being that I'm typically in favor of openly mocking someone as smug as Tom Warren, I hope it is true.

You Got It Reaction GIF by BrownSugarApp

schaft0620

I would believe it's select games BUT

- The 343 job posting regarding a game on "all platforms"
- The Double Fine Back Catalog getting rated in Korea
- No platforms on the Blade trailer
- Gears rumors
- Starfield rumors

At this point what feels like a studio or game that's off the table?

- Gears rumors
- Starfield rumors

Xbox 360 games are off the table :D

NEbeast

You specifically said you're paying for 'PS+ Extra'. That's the tier you pay for when you want to rent games from a library, not just to play online. You also said playing games from a sub service benefits you since you don't buy games day one.

Try not to hypocritically lecture people about 'renting games' and not paying full retail prices for games when that's pretty much what you do.
I pay for extra for old games I didn't play, or didn't fancy . Its nothing like gamepass where everything is day one. You're talking absolute bollocks.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Likely why they were talking about trying something different and soon
That’s been my argument.

If Starfield didn’t move the needle and $349 XSX didn’t move the needle then what cards does Xbox have left to play?

I wouldn’t be surprised that Phil thought he could make ABK exclusive, but Nadella saw the revenue they were bringing in on 3rd party and said no way. Putting ABK exclusive would have immediately killed much of that revenue.

Here is what I would do if I were MS and I wanted to give Xbox a “chance”:
1. Keep all legacy first party games exclusive: Gears, Halo, Firza
2. Give Bethesda games a 6 month window
3. ABK games go day and date.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
To the average gamer it makes zero difference. You have a game that was an exclusive get released on another platform. That's it. People can spin it however they want though.

HiFi Rush was made by Tango Gameworks, published by Bethesda, and the only reason it's considered 1st party is because MS bought Bethesda. Sea of Thieves came out in 2018 and it makes a lot of sense (as long as cross-play is the intention) for that type of game to try and expand the player base, because it is a multiplayer focused game. I don't think it's this monumental seismic shift to take a game like Sea of Thieves, which is coming up on being 6 years old now (by the way), and releasing it on other platforms, again, if the intention is to increase the player population through cross-play. It's not a game that has a sequel come out every 2-3 years. It's a live service that has continual releases of content. Now, if MS comes out and starts saying games like Halo and Gears will all be multiplatform then people can freak out. Up until now though the speculation has gotten way out of control.

Then shouldn't you ask why MS hasn't said anything if it's ONLY going to be these three games only? Don't they take the majority of the blame for allowing this to blow up?

Ozriel

M$FT
Yes. That’s exactly what I’m saying and I’m correct in Xbox case. Gamepass subs have stagnated. Console sales have dropped off a cliff.

Now imagine how much worse it would have been without any exclusive games at all.
There’s a reason why the general belief here on GAF is that going full multiplatform essentially spells the beginning of the end of Xbox as console competition.

what is Ozriel trying to accomplish here?

Huh?

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

- Gears rumors
- Starfield rumors

I think anythings possible and they will try various things to see what sticks.

Just a reminder of what Phil said the last time they brought games to PC. Thought this very relevant for what's announced on Thursday.

Crayon

Just a reminder of what Phil said the last time they brought games to PC. Thought this very relevant for what's announced on Thursday.

Yes yes yes. This is the way. Otherwise they are trying to sell a couple million copies of HiFi to offset the epic bath they are going to take keeping the big games to xbox? How the shit does that math.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

GPMubV9.png

Top Bottom