• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

Hadn't seen most of the PUBG stuff from Giant Bomb as I don't usually watch stuff live, so I'm very LTTP with 'Return to Murder Island' but god damn was that episode hilarious.

First Alex and Vinny in the small hut, with Vinny panning to Alex as he says "They're shooting the windows, I don't care about the windows" before exploding. Then Vinny not being able to see buildings and going fully into the role before watching everyone get murdered.

God damn I love these guys.

Yeah. All's good.
I just liked how Brad said he wanted to play a game just for the fact of seeing numbers going up in that clicker/twinstick shooter hybrid. I'll never understand that level of fascination for such a basic element.

you can't really be bad at idle games so the appeal in it is pretty apparent for people like Brad

For my #hottake related to Horizon: Zero Dawn, from what I've played it has two things it does very well and everything else is ok stock standard. I love the visual design - from pure aesthetic perspective as well as world design. The combat against robots is so fun: a combat system that actually works as a range and trap based system while still having punchy, difficult gamefeel. The combat against the humans is agressively meh so far, and the sidequest design is repetitive. My biggest letdown so far is that the Eight Deadly Words apply to this game's narrative so far.
"I don't care what happens to these people."

Does the writing get less cliched? Do the characters become more interesting and complex? Around the 8 hour mark.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Yeah. All's good.
I just liked how Brad said he wanted to play a game just for the fact of seeing numbers going up in that clicker/twinstick shooter hybrid. I'll never understand that level of fascination for such a basic element.

How do you feel now? Feels good, right?

oti

Banned
That's like saying "Man, I wish I would like heroin."

Well, yeah. I'm glad I don't like it. Makes me play other games. But imagine if you did. The most-streamed game, TI, surely a dozen of podcasts dedicated just to Dota. That's a lot of great stuff to appreciate if one likes Dota.

kulapik

This Game Rom video looks cool, the whole crew is there

The games might be bad, though, who knows

Never mind, just took a peek, they're bad

good job to the jamming duders though

oti

Banned
I need more Bradth of the Wild in my life.
Also I need more Breath of the Wild in my life.

There's still hope. DLC 2 is coming out this winter and they still have a gaming marathon ahead of them. I could see Brad doing a home BOTW stream.

4DG5syC.png

Are male creators allowed to create such characters?

yes

Answering no would be like saying that Pedro Almodovar's movies aren't feminist. That would be ridiculous.

Or imagine for a moment that the X-Men movies had not been directed or written by homosexual men, but the movies themselves are exactly the same. Would that somehow negate the movies' allegory on gay rights and all? No, it would not.

The only thing that matters when analyzing/interpreting a work of art is the work of art itself. Anything outside that is irrelevant.

That being said, yes, it would be great if there were more women in the game development community, and it would have been great there had been more women making Bayonetta. But that's a different topic and a different conversation. It doesn't have any bearing on the analysis of the work of art itself.

to be fair, it's a bit more understandable that it'd take so long to do something with those games if they wanted everyone (but Jason and I guess Drew) involved in it

Or imagine for a moment that the X-Men movies had not been directed or written by homosexual men, but the movies themselves are exactly the same. Would that somehow negate the movies' allegory on gay rights and all? No, it would not.

slightly OT but X-Men's status as allegory for civil rights has never really worked because minorities can't shoot laserbeams out of their eyeballs. It's the same reason the Augs Lives Matter shit was ridiculed (apart from it being incredibly ham-fisted)

anyway I'm not really about telling women how to do feminism but by the same token I think making a blanket statement like "Bayonetta is bad for women", thereby implying women who enjoy it are wrong for doing so, is bad.

I laughed out loud at Brad fucking merking that rabbit in the The Long Dark QL.

I saw this game on Steam a few weeks ago and thought about buying it, but was put off by the pricetag and how long it was in early access. It looks like the sort of game I would love, though.

BTA

Excited to see the ROM games, especially that FMV game.

Wonder how hard it was to make; a year or two ago I was thinking of messing with that myself (as a complete amateur who has no idea what i'm doing beyond being a programmer) since Unity added some stuff that seemed to make it easier but I never actually went anywhere with that.

notsureifserious.jpg

as a heart attack. If you're going to make an allegory for civil rights, your stand-in for minorities probably shouldn't be ACTUALLY more dangerous than the status quo. That's not a strange opinion dude. They can certainly touch on those issues but there's a whole problematic dimension if you view it first and foremost as an allegory because of this.

Also there's the whole thing where Professor X's school of thought is "if we're just nice to humans they will accept us eventually" and uhh it's 2017 and look at the state of racism in the US. Why I do believe just last night there was an actual Nazi rally.

Zornack

as a heart attack. If you're going to make an allegory for civil rights, your stand-in for minorities probably shouldn't be ACTUALLY more dangerous than the status quo. That's not a strange opinion dude. They can certainly touch on those issues but there's a whole problematic dimension if you view it first and foremost as an allegory because of this.

Also there's the whole thing where Professor X's school of thought is "if we're just nice to humans they will accept us eventually" and uhh it's 2017 and look at the state of racism in the US. Why I do believe just last night there was an actual Nazi rally.

It's a power fantasy and professor x is repeatedly proven wrong.

Top Bottom