• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb Thread #4: A thread of perceived slights

Status
Not open for further replies.
IT HURTS!!!

bI3j0Va.png

I guess no one knows how to update the site with Dave gone

Will Rorie be on the podcast tonight? It is difference between me refreshing my podcast app every 5 minutes the rest of the night or finding something else to listen to (preferably with a higher puppy quotient)

BigAT

Hey there Podcast Listeners. From WBGD San Francisco, it's The Interview Dumptruck distributed by CBS International; I'm Patrick Klepek and today on our show: "Games of Space". I'll be bringing you stories of space imperialism and tyranny; of brave, crazy souls that fly the silent skies, of the men and women who battle for domination far above our heads into the wee hours of the night. What drives a man to travel one thousand miles into a barren, inhospitable land of snow and ice, just for the sake of a videogame? The answer is to be found in three acts; stay with us.

Act I: No Sale to Miners. We follow one EVE miner who, against all odds, will not give up his asteroid. Sarah Koenig has more.

Well done. Totally read both of those in Ira's voice.

I've been trying to kick off a gaming version of This American Life for years. Something that sounds a little less produced than A Life Well Wasted (which seems more like Radiolab than TAL to me). Patrick was actually going to be the interviewee for my first episode, then a lot of shit fell through.

I haven't picked it back up because I am saving up for better hardware. I'd really like to have that project be the best it can be.

Jintor

I've been trying to kick off a gaming version of This American Life for years. Something that sounds a little less produced than A Life Well Wasted (which seems more like Radiolab than TAL to me). Patrick was actually going to be the interviewee for my first episode, then a lot of shit fell through.

I haven't picked it back up because I am saving up for better hardware. I'd really like to have that project be the best it can be.

Team up with me.

I don't have any qualifications or experience but this sounds hella like something I want to do.

Whenever I go on a really long drive I end up thinking all about almost the same thing. Having a really well researched, well produced conversations with industry people about say drm or something would be amazing. It'll always be better in my head though.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Thought this was too cool to just be in the quick look thread.

I just wanted to let you know I've done some work on that Quick Look filtering site

http://qlcrew.com

Other than some cosmetic changes:
  • Added TNTs - searchable by games played, staff and guests,
    both Twitch/Ustream and the site's archive links are available for them(click on the thumbnail for Twitch)
  • In addition to Youtube playlists and the on-site player, you can now download .m3u playlists of search results. Tip: WMP does pretty good job with streaming.
  • Text search for QLs - might be useful for getting all the Sleeping Dogs ones

Jintor

Man, hearing how good premium content hurts when you're not a premium member anymore.

I never realised how much of their output is premium now (well, show archives mainly)...

Damnit $30 sale get here sooner

Dragon

Banned
Thought this was too cool to just be in the quick look thread.

Notice: Undefined variable: video_type in /home/supboard/public_html/QL_crew/index.php on line 26

Tell him to not output errors on the site xD. Also filtering TNTs doesn't work for me. I wanted to watch the Cards against Humanity one but it says zero videos.

He should cry for his terrible Yoshi's Island opinions :p

He is right that labeling it a sequel to Super Mario World is disingenuous at best! I do love that Patrick can't even deal with the opinion.

Dragon

Banned
Jar time was honestly one of the main reasons I got a subscription and its been working out really well.

I didn't know about it, I initially upgraded to see TNT but now that Unprofessional Fridays is actually the better weekly show, Jar Time's being monthly has been awesome. It's like you get a zen version of Jeff. I pretty much love it.

Something that sounds a little less produced than A Life Well Wasted (which seems more like Radiolab than TAL to me).

I feel the same, especially in the last episode where the computer voice was reading uillillia's website. It seems way over done in parts

Personally I could go for a Moth Podcast for games - basically random people telling their gaming related stories. TAL pulls acts from them every once in awhile

demidar

I didn't know about it, I initially upgraded to see TNT but now that Unprofessional Fridays is actually the better weekly show, Jar Time's being monthly has been awesome. It's like you get a zen version of Jeff. I pretty much love it.

I've always preferred TNTs where the staff just play with/against each other because each person is constantly involved and playing off each other and dead air is almost non-existent.

I feel the same, especially in the last episode where the computer voice was reading uillillia's website. It seems way over done in parts

Personally I could go for a Moth Podcast for games - basically random people telling their gaming related stories. TAL pulls acts from them every once in awhile

That was actually the original idea, but when I brought it up to other people, they sort of went "Well, how do you do more than one episode of that without it getting boring?"

I couldn't figure out the solution to that, really. In my head I was thinking of the time where my friend played Harvest Moon and had to beat his horse with an axe until it loved him less so he could win different tiered contests with it, which is a funny 30 second anecdote, but those get boring after a while.

I think the last idea I settled on before deciding I needed a better microphone before pursuing any of this was just one big two hour "How video games have made me who I am" (the details sit in a notebook on my desk with the words "Leveling Up" at the top) show with everyone just relaying their stories and I pick the best ten to stick together. If that got traction, I was going to move on from there to figure out other themes.

It seems easier to find the fascinating story of a doctor that murdered his father and his successor trying to clear his name than it is to find a story about gaming of similar interest and weight.

szlifier

Neo Member
Notice: Undefined variable: video_type in /home/supboard/public_html/QL_crew/index.php on line 26

Tell him to not output errors on the site xD. Also filtering TNTs doesn't work for me. I wanted to watch the Cards against Humanity one but it says zero videos.

I know, I know, sorry. I must have pushed the file before saving changes. I fixed it few hours ago.

Got bored: 30 quick looks in March, 22 in April and on top of that the Wednesday show got cancelled.

Something definitely went down in April. If it's the suits, I wonder if they realize how much their BS is damaging the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom