• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bombcast - 04/05/16

Navid

Ouch at that Doom discussion, surprised at how negative they were on the beta focusing on the things that didn't make it their old Doom (like emotes and weapon load-outs) rather than everything that made it play great.

Calling it another modern shooter was harsh I thought as it plays nothing like your CoD/Battlefield (super short time to kill and focus on getting the drop on enemies) neither does it play like Halo/Destiny (where you feel like your are moving through treacle).

Thought it's fast and fluid movement system with the double jump was great and the two maps on offer both were high quality in design (compact while while not feeling small or cramped ad offering verticality and some nice action points). Weapons all felt good (some require a bit of balancing) and the way you dominate a map is by denying the enemy armour/power/gauss/demon pickups rather than weapon pickups.

On the subject of the rocket launcher I thought the knock-back comment was great, it could definitely do with explosive area knock-back but in terms of damage I felt wanting a direct hit to kill would make it far too overpowered. I found myself having plenty of fun using it as a starter to a engagement and then switch over to my closer range weapon (shotgun/plasma/lightning) to finishing off the fight.

EDIT: I will say this in regards to the DLC plans, having a new weapon and playable demon available as paid DLC is disappointing, I can understand maps (even though they fracture the player base) but weapons and demons are things that can potentially upset the balance between people who buy the DLC and those who don't.

killroy87

Their comments about the Doom beta pretty much 100% lined up to mine. I've actually been baffled at the positive comments in the Beta thread, I thought it was truly lackluster. The aspects of it that were implemented by Doom (the speed, the weapons, etc) we all half assed, and the rest of it was straight out of a modern shooter.

The the fuck wants to play an arena shooter like Doom with loadouts?

So what's great about the Bombcast now is when I listen to their impressions, my expectations for games go so low that I'm always pleasantly surprised.

Playing QB and enjoyed chaining together the powers, thought the combat was much better than the last Remedy game and was generally enjoying it.

Thanks Bombcast!

So what's great about the Bombcast now is when I listen to their impressions, my expectations for games go so low that I'm always pleasantly surprised.

Playing QB and enjoyed chaining together the powers, thought the combat was much better than the last Remedy game and was generally enjoying it.

Thanks Bombcast!

I don't understand the whole, "you can't chain moves together" thing when they were talking about QB. I'm now doing just that just because they got me thinking about it.

TIMESTAMPS

0:00:00 - Squarespace advert & music
0:01:00 - Introduction

What games have the crew played?
0:01:26 - VR
0:28:02 - Jeff talks about Quantum Break
0:52:32 - Doom beta

1:02:08 - Squarespace advert

1:03:53 - Jason talks about Street Fighter V
1:08:50 - Jason guy talks about Rocket League
1:08:57 - Brad talks about Dark Souls 3 (Jeff mentions Hyper Light Drifter towards the end)
1:30:09 - Drew talks about Project Cars (VR)
1:32:55 - Jeff talks about Killer Instinct Season 3

News
1:43:22 - Dismissal of Alison Rapp by Nintendo of America
1:56:16 - Oculus Rift pre-order problems
2:03:06 - Final Fantasy XV’s March event

Q&A (via emails & Tumblr)
2:09:27 - Question 1
2:13:18 - Question 2
2:16:08 - Question 3
2:20:05 - Question 4
2:21:14 - Question 5
2:30:27 - Question 6
2:31:24 - Question 7
2:35:52 - Question 8
2:37:23 - Question 9
2:39:48 - Question 10
2:40:30 - Question 11
2:44:51 - Question 12
2:46:36 - Question 13
2:47:50 - Question 14

2:52:39 – The End

G_Berry

Banned
Was hoping someone else on staff besides Jeff would have played a bit of Quantum Break. Curious of other's opinions.
Yeah, Jeff Poo Pooed almost every aspect of the game and the other guys just laugh. Would love some other opinions from the team.

VRMN

Yeah, Jeff Poo Pooed almost every aspect of the game and the other guys just laugh. Would love some other opinions from the team.

I have long accepted that Jeff's opinions do not align with my own on a lot of games, even as I respect his views.

His Quantum Break stuff, though...I just can't reconcile a lot of it. He doesn't seem to get the combat system and his claims about the game just becoming a standard cover shooter when they introduce enemies resistant to Time Stop were, after playing the game, asinine. You are stripped of part of your toolset, not all of it. Hell, Time Stop has its uses even against those guys because of the exploding barrels. If you are in cover for anything but planning your next move or healing up, you're kind of doing it wrong. Jack is kind of a demi-god and the game is designed for you to play like one. If anything, combat is easy because it errs on the side of you being a total badass.

The TV show...what I have seen of it...yeah, it's mediocre, but it's not really bad and I actually thought the first episode was fine. It's focusing on what's going on inside of the monolithic evil corporation in a genre that would usually be okay with them just being faceless. It's a nice idea even if no one thinks they executed on it particularly well.

Still, Jeff lowered my expectations so well that this game is honestly surprising me with how much I am enjoying it.

Aselith

Jason is lowkey the best anime editor Giant Bomb will never have.

If Austin and Jason were in the same office, there would be an anime podcast featuring Jeff as the voice of reason until he grudgingly falls to the kawaii charms and then the site goes full bronie.

Thank god for a continent of separation.

Jeff's Giant Bomb Vape Minute in these is always great, and this is the greatest yet.

MK loc tests were interesting. Getting to play Beta MK 4 vs the mushy, dialacombo final version was a great break.

I guess they arent real big on JRPGs? lol. They didnt seem to happy about FFXV.

I really liked their take on the whole Nintendo firing debacle, Jeffs rant about Doom was pretty funny.

You can be both.

How did no one laugh at A Strike Man

Fan art sense tingling!

If Austin and Jason were in the same office, there would be an anime podcast featuring Jeff as the voice of reason until he grudgingly falls to the kawaii charms and then the site goes full bronie.

Thank god for a continent of separation.

That's my next Dream Bomb Crew QL Team Up right there.

ArjanN

I don't understand the whole, "you can't chain moves together" thing when they were talking about QB. I'm now doing just that just because they got me thinking about it.

I haven't played QB but Jeff's playstyle in games in general seems to gravitate to just finding the cheesiest most effective thing, and then sticking with that the entire game unless he's forced to do otherwise.

def sim

Thanks Bombcast!

Yeah, I only just got around to playing it yesterday. After having read his review and listened to the bombcast, the game is nothing like I expected. It's straight up a super hero shooter and I feel super capable.

Top Bottom