• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bombcast - 04/05/16

GRaider81

Really good listen this week especially listening to Jeff talk about QB. Explains everything really well for those more curious or in disagreement with his review.

Danne

Neo Member
Great work on that OP! These threads always amaze me with the amount of work that must be put into them.

jahasaja

No PS4K discussion this time? They were the only podcast that acctually had an interesting discussion about it and understood the implications.

All other podcasts "look at mobile phones this is just the same"..

FluxWaveZ

No PS4K discussion this time? They were the only podcast that acctually had an interesting discussion about it and understood the implications.

All other podcasts "look at mobile phones this is just the same"..

What more is there to talk about?

LiK

Hm, had to scrub through the entire Quantum Break talk. Was a bit too spoilerish to me at certain spots.

Curufinwe

The 10 million number for FFXV was just an ideal, not a break even point.

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps4-news/5019.html

Does Final Fantasy XV really need to sell 10 million copies to turn a profit?

Some people thought that's what game director Hajime Tabata meant when he said the anticipated title would have to push that many units in order to be considered a "success."

But Tabata has now clarified his comments. In a statement to Famitsu (as translated by Novacrystallis), the Square Enix boss said that was the ideal number for the team; i.e., how many copies the devs would like the game to sell. It's not necessarily the number they need to hit to make money. Obviously, Tabata admitted that 10 million is a pretty lofty goal but the publisher is clearly going to push the hell out of this game, if that massive "Uncovered" event is any indication.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
There is some pretty unnecessary DS3 spoilers in this. Nothing major but just pointless for them to mention.

blakep267

Really good listen this week especially listening to Jeff talk about QB. Explains everything really well for those more curious or in disagreement with his review.
Meh. After listening to Jeff I get the vibe that ,maybe this game just isn't for him vs it's not a good game. Like he had an issue with almost every facet of the game where I felt the opposite of it. Also he doesn't really like Remedy games, so why would this all of a sudden be the game to sway him. If I don't like Souls ganes( which I don't) wouldn't it be dumb for me to review one and lost the things I hate about them like story telling etc which others seem to love

LiK

I feel like I had to scrub though a lot of game discussions this week. Will need to play the games and come back and listen to the impressions/review.

The Alison Rapp discussion was pretty great tho.

Dimmle

There is some pretty unnecessary DS3 spoilers in this. Nothing major but just pointless for them to mention.

Time stamps for Dark Souls III? I'd really like to go in fresh on Tuesday and I know I can't trust Bradley. He loves to leap into beat-by-beat discussion.

LiK

Oh what? GB app is on AppleTV now? Sweet. Roku app UI sucks so I'm gonna try out the Apple one tonight.

killroy87

Meh. After listening to Jeff I get the vibe that ,maybe this game just isn't for him vs it's not a good game. Like he had an issue with almost every facet of the game where I felt the opposite of it. Also he doesn't really like Remedy games, so why would this all of a sudden be the game to sway him. If I don't like Souls ganes( which I don't) wouldn't it be dumb for me to review one and lost the things I hate about them like story telling etc which others seem to love

You just explained the inherent problem of what happens when people put so much emphasis on reviews and scores, haha.

Turns out reviews are written by people, and people have different tastes.

blakep267

You just explained the inherent problem of what happens when people put so much emphasis on reviews and scores, haha.

Turns out reviews are written by people, and people have different tastes.
Well yeah but normally you should review a game that fits your tatstes

Brad actually seemed more interested in QB from the start so I was suprised when he didn't review it

Ha, why? The perspective is still worthwhile. Movie reviewers don't only go and review movies in genres they like, and I'm sure Jeff got more than his fair share of games he didn't find appealing when he worked for Gamespot. Alex sure as hell didn't.

jacobeid

Banned
Man, I love this podcast so much and it exposed me to 8-4 play which is also great. My old podcasts have started to lose me so it's nice to find something more up my alley.

killroy87

Brad actually seemed more interested in QB from the start so I was suprised when he didn't review it

It suits Jeffs taste in that he likes shooters, I would say that's enough. At some point you could just as easily go too far the other way, and have someone review the game who loves the dev so much that they overlook flaws in the game.

I agree that certain people shouldn't review certain games, but only when it's in regards to their expertise. I don't know a fucking thing about basketball, so I should never review a basketball game. I like fighting games though, so even though Tekken isn't my favorite series I'm still pretty equipped to gauge what it has to offer.

Reviews coming from someone predisposed to loving the game are 100% as useless as reviews from someone predisposed to not liking it.

blakep267

Ha, why? The perspective is still worthwhile. Movie reviewers don't only go and review movies in genres they like, and I'm sure Jeff got more than his fair share of games he didn't find appealing when he worked for Gamespot. Alex sure as hell didn't.
Not really. If so, then let's have the European correspondent review Madden 2017 and the resident COD fan review Persona 5. I'm sure the reviews would be worthwhile

Quantum Break is in no way outside of Jeff's wheelhouse, he's perfectly qualified to review it. The idea that Jeff can't review a 3rd person shooter is ridiculous. And if he hadn't reviewed it, no one probably would have.

.JayZii

Banned
Well all the connections he mentions are super obvious foregone conclusions if you've watched a few lore videos and read the illustrated guide before you start playing like him. Oh, Brad.

tesqui

Was hoping someone else on staff besides Jeff would have played a bit of Quantum Break. Curious of other's opinions.

No_Style

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

If this rule was adopted across the industry, scores would become inflated and even more homogeneous than they already are. This would make them less informative. The only way to make some sense of them would be to pick a reviewer who "shares your tastes" but of course no reviewer is going to match your tastes exactly, which brings you back to where you started, with some reviews matching your opinion and some not.

How did no one laugh at A Strike Man

Because the bomb crew doesn't poison themselves with anime.

Curufinwe

It suits Jeffs taste in that he likes shooters, I would say that's enough. At some point you could just as easily go too far the other way, and have someone review the game who loves the dev so much that they overlook flaws in the game.

See the Polygon review.

I'm really looking forward to hearing them discuss the shitshow that is the PC version next week.

Curufinwe

Not really. If so, then let's have the European correspondent review Madden 2017 and the resident COD fan review Persona 5. I'm sure the reviews would be worthwhile

Jeff is Giant Bomb West's resident COD fan and its resident Persona fan, so that actually works.

Renpatsu

While I can understand this mentality of pairing people with works they may have a comfortable grasp on in order to produce informed opinions it also a conveys a facile acknowledgement of the breadth of knowledge individuals may bring when approaching a piece of work.

Reducing people to easily digestible labels based purely upon their supposed affinity for specific genres or titles is unnecessarily reductive and inhibiting for discussion. This is the kind of mentality that stifles broader discussion and produces a culture of homogeneity in creative industries.

Protome

Not to pile on here, as everyone seems to be tearing your post apart already but -

If a review is well written, your tastes should be irrelevant. Every review is someone's opinion of a game but if you explain that opinion well the reader can easily go "This wouldn't bother me as much" or "I'd find this more of an issue than you did" etc etc. Jeff's QB review is actually a really good example of good review writing in that respect. Hell, most of his reviews are.

mjc

Talks down about Quantum Break..."Lets talk about good games now...how about Street Fighter V? It's real good!"

notamused.gif

jacobeid

Banned
Talks down about Quantum Break..."Lets talk about good games now...how about Street Fighter V? It's real good!"

notamused.gif

Street Fighter V is a good game though. Whether or not you are ok with the amount of content has nothing to do with the fact that the game is extremely mechanically sound and feels fantastic to play.

I didn't even realize people were up in arms over his QB review. I kind of assumed we had moved past the whole 8.8 ridiculousness that plagued last gen. Guess not. Sad.

Top Bottom