• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bombcast - 04/05/16

killroy87

I didn't even realize people were up in arms over his QB review. I kind of assumed we had moved past the whole 8.8 ridiculousness that plagued last gen. Guess not. Sad.

You assumed people stopped putting a stupid amount of emphasis on review scores? Whatever drug you've been on lately, give me some, because I want to live in that universe.

You assumed people stopped putting a stupid amount of emphasis on review scores? Whatever drug you've been on lately, give me some, because I want to live in that universe.

I honestly haven't seen it as much. Maybe I've just learned to avoid it better, but I had attributed it to this gen's deflated review averages.

Well yeah but normally you should review a game that fits your tatstes

Brad actually seemed more interested in QB from the start so I was suprised when he didn't review it

This... doesn't make any sense.

So we should only end up with positive reviews because people should only be reviewing games that fit their tastes? Jeff has been a big fan of past Remedy titles. That alone should have suggested he would be going into it with an open, even friendly disposition. How much more to his "taste" does it need to be?

blakep267

This... doesn't make any sense.

So we should only end up with positive reviews because people should only be reviewing games that fit their tastes? Jeff has been a big fan of past Remedy titles. That alone should have suggested he would be going into it with an open, even friendly disposition. How much more to his "taste" does it need to be?
Who said it would be a positive review of you review a game that's of interest to you or fits your tastes? I like Call of duty but I'd still tear apart ghosts of BO3 for their flaws. But like Jeff never came off as interested in the game ever since the unfinished so it's what I expected of the review

check the GAF review thread. people were going nuts over the score.

Did we get any Uncharted 3 level gems? I avoided reading the Quantum Break review thread cause I was more interested in waiting to play the game to see how my opinion fared with critics.

Who said it would be a positive review of you review a game that's of interest to you or fits your tastes? I like Call of duty but I'd still tear apart ghosts of BO3 for their flaws. But like Jeff never came off as interested in the game ever since the unfinished so it's what I expected of the review

Once again, he's liked Remedy's past games. He likes shooters. He likes FMV. I don't know how many more boxes needed to be ticked for him to be appropriate for the review.

Likewise, should we be blocking people from doing reviews of games because they didn't show interest in games during the preview cycle? Perhaps they weren't showing a lot of interest in the game because it wasn't very good in preview form, and perhaps it remains not very good once released.

Edit: In fact, other sites have taken the opposite tactic. I recall Greg Miller, back when he was working with IGN, specifically took himself off of allowing himself to do the review of Infamous 2 because he was a fan of the first game and was super hyped about it during previews. He didn't think he could give a honest review because of just how interested and excited he was for the game. That makes sense to me, and you could perhaps say it for someone who demonstrated a hate for a game leading up to release too, suggesting that they wouldn't give the final product a fair shot. But if you're suggesting Jeff falls on that side of the spectrum, I think you're imagining things. You'd likewise be setting up this arbitrary grey area where you get to discount certain reviewers because their disposition leading up to the review wasn't to your liking. But then again, maybe that's exactly what's going on here.

LiK

Did we get any Uncharted 3 level gems? I avoided reading the Quantum Break review thread cause I was more interested in waiting to play the game to see how my opinion fared with critics.

mods were trying to keep it under control early. but yes, there were lots of meltdowns, iirc.

To be fair, after what I've played of the game, it doesn't feel like a 2 out of 5. 3 out of 5, sure, if it's not your type of game. But a 2 does feel categorically too low for what's in the game.

Protome

Yeah, apparently Jeff is way off base on his opinion. It's clearly not a 2, it's a 3. that extra point is a massive deal, and Jeff's wrong.

People arguing that they think the arbitrary number a reviewer picked isn't as correct as their own arbitrary number is definitely the best part of high profile reviews coming out.

Ha, why? The perspective is still worthwhile. Movie reviewers don't only go and review movies in genres they like, and I'm sure Jeff got more than his fair share of games he didn't find appealing when he worked for Gamespot. Alex sure as hell didn't.

No, he messed up the Metacritic of a sort of exclusive game therefore, he is not qualified to review it.

killroy87

Ok, so you shouldn't be critical of others' thoughts about a game based on your own experience with it? I don't have a problem with it -- I'm more surprised honestly that he didn't enjoy it more since it seems like something he'd be into.

It's funny because all those posts, yours included, aren't critical of his thoughts, you're critical of his score. Very few people are actually taking his words into consideration and engaging in discussion about what does and doesn't work about the game.

That's why it's all so hilarious. People just see the number and react.

Another episode of the bombcast that has a segment that could be a perfect example of why some gamers prefer gaming on consoles. That sounded awful.

mlclmtckr

Banned
Good criticism isn't about some arbitrary score or thumbs up or whatever. It's not like your favourite game becomes better when it gets a good review.

I don't know why nerds have such a problem understanding this, although I have a few theories.

Whether it's Zelda fans flipping out about Jeff's review of Twilight Princess or the LA Times reviewer getting death threats for not liking the Avengers or people boycotting Polygon over their Bayonetta review, there's this really childish and sad zero-sum mentality that permeates nerd culture.

Nameless

For a fan of a franchise, I find I really dislike Brad's commentary about Soulsborne games most of the time.

It's funny because all those posts, yours included, aren't critical of his thoughts, you're critical of his score. Very few people are actually taking his words into consideration and engaging in discussion about what does and doesn't work about the game.

That's why it's all so hilarious. People just see the number and react.
That's only possible when you've played the game and can offer rebuttals based on experience, which is why the idea of doing rebuttals in a review thread when majority of GAFers haven't played it seems like a lost cause and good schadenfreude entertainment for us spectators :p

"Actually playing Quantum Break means you'll engage in a lot of third-person cover shooting and some ill-conceived platforming. The cover shooting is buoyed by your time abilities, which let you do things like stop time around a group of enemies, shoot a bunch of bullets into a stasis bubble, and watch as it all collapses, forcing a ton of bullets into your enemies all at once. You can run faster than fast, letting you get close for melee takedowns. You can pop a time shield around yourself to block damage and have time to heal. You can... cause a time explosion that... kills enemies? You can flip on time vision to see any objects in the environment that you can pick up and/or read? It feels like the developers just came up with a set of abilities and slapped the word "time" on the front of each one. The gun handling in Quantum Break is pretty underwhelming and the powers at your disposal don't feel as cool as they probably should. In some alternate timeline, this game has abilities that work together and chain off of each other, creating a more satisfying feeling of flow in combat. Instead it's simple cooldown management as each of your powers is just about as good as every other one at taking down one or two enemies at a time. Eventually you'll encounter enemies that aren't affected by those time powers, which means you'll have to fall back to the game's mundane shooting on its own. Remedy has delivered fantastic action games with exciting shooting components in the past, and it's a real shame that Quantum Break doesn't follow in those footsteps."

I can say I disagree entirely with his opinion on the combat, in that I don't engage in much cover shooting (quite the opposite). I try to be as creative as possible, much like I would in Bulletstorm, Vanquish, or SUPERHOT. The gun handling with the enemy hit reactions is pretty satisfying rather than underwhelming especially with the shotgun and riddling SMG rounds into someone's head. Playing on hard difficulty is fun because you're pummelled if you stick in cover for more than five seconds and encourages variety in your strategy on a moment-to-moment basis. The time abilities feel and look really cool while acting distinct enough from each other where I use different abilities for different enemies. It's fun to chain different ones in scenarios where enemy placement is varied enough thanks to their pretty good AI that you're incentivised to time stop some, time blast a heavier enemy, time dodge to get your bullet time on, and time shield when you're in dire straits.

drunkenbaker

Neo Member
As a fan of both Max Paynes and Alan Wake I'm finding my opinions on Quantum Break lining up almost 100% with Jeff's now I'm around the halfway point. It just feels wholly unremarkable, certainly not worth the fervour.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Drew is such an air headed ditz, it's sort of endearing. Makes Dan look like a wizened philosopher when they're on together.

Brad's Souls talk is weird, because it sounds exactly like someone who missed the boat the first couple times but has had the "playing together via discussion" phenomenon explained to him. Like he is missing what makes it unique. It's weird to hear it explained kind of weird.

Yeah, apparently Jeff is way off base on his opinion. It's clearly not a 2, it's a 3. that extra point is a massive deal, and Jeff's wrong.
Did you stop to think at all before you wrote that? Wtf.

Maybe take a moment and realize that your self-worth does not go up or down because someone didn't like the same thing you did.
No, he messed up the Metacritic of a sort of exclusive game therefore, he is not qualified to review it.

Jesus Christ. I can't tell if you're serious or just taking the piss. Seriously? Do you get a bonus check in the mail for the metacritic score?

I just don't know anymore who's serious and who's being 'ironic'.

Zekes!

people in general need to

latest

Drew is such an air headed ditz, it's sort of endearing. Makes Dan look like a wizened philosopher when they're on together.
Hey look it's my weekly reminder why I can't/don't want to engage in these threads with how personal some of the posts get. Was this specific to something or did you just need to pronounce it to make yourself feel superior? Good two for one insult there too.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hey look it's my weekly reminder why I can't/don't want to engage in these threads with how personal some of the posts get. Was this specific to something or did you just need to pronounce it to make yourself feel superior? Good two for one insult there too.
Are...you Drew? Sorry pal. And I don't think it's insulting to compare yourself to Dan, he's a great guy and has fantastic insights if you get past his rollicking exterior into his cheesy core heart.

killroy87

Did you stop to think at all before you wrote that? Wtf.

Maybe take a moment and realize that your self-worth does not go up or down because someone didn't like the same thing you did.

Jesus Christ. I can't tell if you're serious or just taking the piss. Seriously? Do you get a bonus check in the mail for the metacritic score?

I just don't know anymore who's serious and who's being 'ironic'.

I can't tell if you're actually angry at us, or couldn't tell we were being sarcastic...

I know tone is hard to derive from text, but we were laying it on pretty thick :p

mattp

Talks down about Quantum Break..."Lets talk about good games now...how about Street Fighter V? It's real good!"

notamused.gif

street fighter 5 is a fucking phenomenal game

...with a lottttttt of bad decisions made around it and its release lol

Dimmle

Are...you Drew? Sorry pal. And I don't think it's insulting to compare yourself to Dan, he's a great guy and has fantastic insights if you get past his rollicking exterior into his cheesy core heart.

Drew is super knowledgeable on a broad range of subjects and he's pretty clever. I don't subscribe to that characterization. Maybe you're not meaning to sound as harsh as I'm interpreting?

Drew is definitely the most clever guy on the Bombcast. Not always the funniest, but he's the one who makes the other guys laugh, which in turn makes me laugh. "Turner and Chocobo" was definitely the funniest thing uttered this whole episode.

Brad is right about Dark Souls 3 being a best of collection of past souls/borne games. I notice a lot of things from previous games in the videos that are out.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Drew is super knowledgeable on a broad range of subjects and he's pretty clever. I don't subscribe to that characterization. Maybe you're not meaning to sound as harsh as I'm interpreting?

Yup, it is important to remember that Drew is a production guy not an on-camera/podcast entertainer by trade. He's a smart, tech guy but he isn't as avid a gamer so can't contribute as readily in that regard.

I guess they arent real big on JRPGs? lol. They didnt seem to happy about FFXV.

I really liked their take on the whole Nintendo firing debacle, Jeffs rant about Doom was pretty funny.

LiK

street fighter 5 is a fucking phenomenal game

...with a lottttttt of bad decisions made around it and its release lol

Fighting game equivalent to Destiny, imo. Have amazing core gameplay but everything around it is a mess.

Top Bottom