• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GiantBomb - TitanFall framerate in mech combat is not fixed in Xbox One retail code

Status
Not open for further replies.

DieH@rd

Banned
edit- I forgot to put XB1 in the title

The frame rate in Titanfall is uneven on the Xbox One and though it's usually fine, it can get downright nasty in specific situations. In one Last Titan Standing match--where every player spawns in a robot suit--several players crammed their mechs into a tight area and began duking it out, and the frame rate dived down to what must have been single digits per second. Even out in wider areas, the game feels a little hitchy from time to time, and there's noticeable tearing throughout. The visuals in Titanfall look nice, but that's mostly due to some solid art and interesting design, not the performance. As of this writing, I haven't seen enough of the PC version to know how well it runs.
http://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/this-is-not-a-titanfall-review-yet/1900-630/

Should have kept it at 720p.

I bet respawn had pressure on them to up the resolution late in development after resolution-gate and CBOAT and this is the price they pay.

jabuseika

single digits?

I don't know what to say...

Even if it's for a small segment, or single mode, that stuff shouldn't get past testers.

I never felt extreme framerate drops in the beta. Or maybe it did and wasn't as bad so didn't notice. Certainly not single digits.

Funny reading this after just reading

"Because Titanfall's advanced AI is handled by the Azure servers, your Xbox's or PC's innards can be used to achieve more detailed graphics and the game's silky-smooth frame rate."

How often does this happen
If beta is anything to go by, after around 2 minutes when everyone is calling down titans I imagine which means quite often.

kiaaa

The beta wasn't well optimized on PC either from what I experienced. I had very similar frame rates and drops from both the highest settings to the lowest settings.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'd make a "this is next-gen?" joke, but uh... no, that just comes across as horrible optimization. How could such an ugly game run that poorly?

Funny reading this after just reading

"Because Titanfall's advanced AI is handled by the Azure servers, your Xbox's or PC's innards can be used to achieve more detailed graphics and the game's silky-smooth frame rate."

Maybe the cloud servers were running hot from all that advanced artificial intelligence.

ibcScddzH9ft8.gif

I got single digits once when entering a building in the beta, but it was done after a few seconds. I assume this could still happen at random times in the final version. Nothing I'm worried about, though.

DieH@rd

Banned
How often does this happen? With 4 titans on screen?
2 minutes into every match Titans will start to fall. Soon after that you can start seeing few of them on screen. Even on my PC, engine started chugging a little. I think that their choice to use Source backfired here. Game looks like ass, but it also cant handle large battles well.

In "Last Titan Standing" there are only Titans from start to end, so situation is even worse. From beginning to mid-stage of every match, game will suffer.

I got single digits once when entering a building in the beta, but it was done after a few seconds. I assume this could still happen at random times in the final version. Nothing I'm worried about, though.

This is not building-related, these framedrops are during Titan combat, or when you are on foot and there is few Titans around you.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Single digit frame rate drops at 790p.

What the flying fuck.

Whatever leadership thought this was acceptable in 2014 should never work on games again.

I feel bad for the crunching low on the totem pole devs who have likely been scrambling with duct tape to save this thing for months.

Zaph

IMO this is kinda redeeming for CBOAT.

IW/Respawn are all about gameplay smoothness. I can totally imagine a scenario where Zampella went to EA/MS, said they need to drop res and texture quality, but were refused.

Liamario

Banned
The scores are clearly not taking these things into account and that's why video game journalism is a farce.
The game is a lot of fun, but you can't excuse this shit. They pulled the same bullshit with skyrim.

Lucifon

This. I played 6 hours of the beta and never encountered single digits once, but I'm sure given a specific scenario it's possible for a very brief moment. Really not worth a thread over.

Into

2 minutes into every match Titans will start to fall. Soon after that you can start seeing few of them on screen. Even on my PC, engine started chugging a little. I think that their choice to use Source backfired here. Game looks like ass, but it also cant handle large battles well.

In "Last Titan Standing" there are only Titans from start to end, so situation is even worse. From beginning to mid-stage of every match, game will suffer.

Figures its Titans related. The only visual thing i think looks good in the game are the Titan animations, everything is else is forgettable from a visual perspective

I hope they use a better engine next time around, perhaps Frostbite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom