• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gibson, Glover, and Richard Donner Returning for Lethal Weapon 5

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
When was the last time Donner made a good or even decent movie? Maverick in 94?

Prob just be a baton passing movie anyway. Glover is ancient and Mel is a senior who never recovered from his "faux pas".

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Saw it for the first time last year. Its a goofy fuckin movie.

But I can see how it would've been badass at the time.

Nymphae

Banned
I love these movies, just bought the Bluray collection late last year. Hopefully Clapton returning for the emotive guitar riffs. Mel Gibson was the fucking man, can't wait to see Riggs again.

Hinedorf

Banned
I read this and had the same cringe I felt watching De Niro try to be a tough gangster moving stiff as a board. All the best writing in the world can't make old men look like young street cops. Nothing but red flags all over this....

Prison Mike

Banned
They're all too old for this shit!

PA2wCGc.gif

Nymphae

Banned
You guys are a bunch of downers. These movies are good fun, and the OG cast is coming back for one final hurrah while they still can. Enjoy Marvel movie # 27

All the best writing in the world can't make old men look like young street cops. Nothing but red flags all over this....

From movie 1 this series focused on an aging police officer who was too old for this shit, and his reckless partner who struggles with not having a family of his own. It's never been about making them young street cops, it's always focused on their family lives as aging police officers primarily.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
You guys are a bunch of downers. These movies are good fun, and the OG cast is coming back for one final hurrah while they still can. Enjoy Marvel movie # 27

From movie 1 this series focused on an aging police officer who was too old for this shit, and his reckless partner who struggles with not having a family of his own. It's never been about making them young street cops, it's always focused on their family lives as aging police officers primarily.

Last I checked they brought in Chris Rock to age them out in the last movie because their age was already a major issue. Not about being downers it's about being realistic. You can put these 2 same great characters in a great comical movie but an action flick just isn't going to work.

And I just double checked.....they were too old in 1998......it's 2020

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Last I checked they brought in Chris Rock to age them out in the last movie because their age was already a major issue.

Again, it's been a central issue since the first movie. It's part of the franchise DNA. They just added principle members with each new movie to spice it up, Pesci, then Russo, then Rock, there was never any passing the torch moment, it's always been a focus on these two guys and their families. I just don't get the cynicism here, it's not trying to be anything it's not.

Last edited:
kay, kay? this is how Hollywood fucks you. They don't release a goddamn thing for thirty years then they make a sequel and sell it for $30 to stream it, $40 on Blu-ray and $20 in the cinema

Hollywood fucks you on the move, they fuck you at home and the fuck you in the cinema.

Last edited:

brap

Banned
kay, kay? this is how Hollywood fucks you. They don't release a goddamn thing for thirty years then they make a sequel and sell it for $30 to stream it, $40 on Blu-ray and $20 in the cinema

Hollywood fucks you on the move, they fuck you at home and the fuck you in the cinema.
Imagine paying for the newest hollywood filth
mjlol.png

We have a New Lethal Weapon, and Eddie Murphys filming a new Beverly Hills Cop.

The only thing we are missing is a new Rush Hour and then 80s/90s buddy cop fever will return!

I'm going to do a double take here, also a good buddy cop movie, and say that Mel Gibson looks way too different in his old age so I'm not sure how this will work. I guess they are going to die his hair blond and die Dannys Glovers hair black, but I doubt we will see much action. It will be more of a "talking" movie with some gun fights.

At least Eddie Murphy has aged well, so he can pull off Beverly Hills Cop IV at nearly 60 years old, and Jackie still likely has enough strength to join Chris Tucker in another Rush hour, but Mel and Danny are in Crystal Skull territory.

You can never have too much Eddie Murphy.
And who doesn't want to see a 78 year old Nick Nolte running around!!??

Issue is that Nick Noltes character was made for the time period, so certain lines you would expect from Cates would get him fired and the left would tar and feather him on the streets. Jack Cates is not a politically correct character.

Valonquar

I loved all the behind the scenes stuff for the last one where they keep bringing up how afraid everyone was that Jet Li would hurt Gibson or Glover.

Grinchy

Banned
I'd watch it. This is more enticing to me than a new Bill and Ted movie, I guess. I don't even care that they're all way too old.

Hell, I still want a new Batman movie starring Michael Keaton where he can barely function as Batman anymore but has to rescue is grand kid or some shit.

Birdo

Banned
The last one ended with a photo montage of scenes from the series. It was literally a closed book.

This will just be another "Passing the torch" turd for a generation that doesn't give a shit about Lethal Weapon.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

I understood that reference.gif

Can't be worse than 3, I checked the fuck out when Mel Gibson acted like a dog for like five minutes or whatever. 4 was fine though.

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
I just watched Lethal Weapon 1 the other day and don't remember Richard Donner. Which character was he?
lol

*EDIT*
Never mind,, I'm stupid, he is the director. lol
Reported for extreme stupiditery

Top Bottom