• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Girl-Gaf - A thread for girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzu

Londa said:
I haven't been able to play FF6 yet. I hear its really good..
It's my favorite FF game! The characters and music are so great. It's on GBA and PSN. You should check it out.

Ducky_McGee said:
I'll see your Terra and raise you a Celes.

Celes is the best.
Haha! It took me awhile to warm up to her, but she is pretty cool too.

--

Also I never got into Barbies, but the one really "girly" thing I liked was horses/ponies..

delta25 said:
sarah-connor---terminator-ii-7.jpg

In the first terminator sure. I kinda hate what they did to her character in T2. No femininity whatsoever. Impossible to relate to. Same with what happens to Ripley from the Alien series. Speaking of movies with great female leads. I saw the Descent on TV not too long ago and it's freaking fantastic. I recommend everyone see it if you haven't already.

I think a fun part of being a woman IS being sexy sometimes. Granted I think there's a line between being portrayed as sexy/confident and being portrayed as a sex kitten whose sole purpose is to provide the 13 year old male audience with jacking material.

Case in point. Lulu from FFX. Sexy character but in no way offensive or stupid IMO.

Sure a lot of games overdo it, but it doesn't really BOTHER me. You have games like God of War and Dead or Alive. I just go "lolz some kid's probably jacking to this" and move on with my life. Doesn't hinder my enjoyment of the game, although generally the games that are most guilty of this aren't my style to begin with.

Also

BeyondGoodEvil_news.jpg

Prax

Satchwar said:
idk, shooting arrows is a pretty cool thing to do

takes great marks(wo)manship to be able to nail a target while riding on horseback

But her art had a SWORD! >:I
I was mislead to believe she would be swordfighting by Link's side at some point! *mournful sigh*

I like that Zelda's noble and wise and is obviously female but doesn't display crazy amounts of stereotypical female mannerisms. It's what makes her a cool character to me.
I haven't played Half-Life, so I don't know much about Alyx, but Samus is pretty cool. You just don't get to know much about her though. And Other M's portrayal was kind of.. not my style (mainly her ultra heels in her zero suit was bananas).

Perhaps if there were more female writers and designers in the videogame industry, we'd have better female characters. The dearth of them is pretty sad.

MY FAVE FEMALES:
6. SOPHITIA (Soul Calibur)
sophitia3_2.jpg

But how Namco keeps undressing her is a CRIME.

I though Hildegarde was pretty swank in design, but I don't know much of anything about her:
400px-Hildegard.jpg

5. CELES (Final Fantasy 6)
Celes.jpg

4. CHUN LI! (Street Fighter)
chun_li.jpg

3. SAMUS (Metroid)
samus.jpg

2. ZELDA (Legend of Zelda)
zelda-and-sheik.jpg

- yes, they need to give her a sword, bow, and magic next time. She'd be like Link, but prettier!

1. AYRA/IRA (Fire Emblem: Genealogy of Holy Wars)
ayra.png

fire_emblem_princess_ira_by_meibatsu-d2xnfmg.jpg

LOOK! Sword-fighting lady with PANTS! And she kicked so much butt and she had butt-kicking kids! And from my favourite series. (I made the 2nd image <3 )

0. ME
When I get to make a character in games.. I am the best female one. Hahaa...
I enjoyed playing the Dragon Ages as a female, but then again, there was nothing particularly female about that role. I suppose that's fine by me.

Angry Fork

hey girls how do i get a girlfriend what do i say
lol

But yea about the Alyx stuff, changing character models to have bra + panties on I always find that shit incredibly stupid/embarrassing. It ruins the character I don't understand it. Alyx is definitely the worst one since she's a really cool character but Zoey from left 4 dead is another one that ran rampant for a while.

My favorite 'badass' kind of female character (T2 Sarah Conner already mentioned she was amazing):

13.jpg

I love the movie so much one of my favorite action films it's called La Femme Nikita if anyone here hasn't seen it yet. From the writer/director of Leon. This girl is really sexy/beautiful in the movie, her lips are ridiculous, but she's able to look professional enough as an assassin. This movie has oozes french kind of style check it out on netflix (subtitled only, dubs suck).

As far as gaming goes there aren't many, Alyx is already mentioned but pretty much everyone seems to love Elena for being down to earth/loyal and all that:

UC3.jpg

Angry Fork said:
hey girls how do i get a girlfriend what do i say
lol

But yea about the Alyx stuff, changing character models to have bra + panties on I always find that shit incredibly stupid/embarrassing. It ruins the character I don't understand it. Alyx is definitely the worst one since she's a really cool character but Zoey from left 4 dead is another one that ran rampant for a while.

My favorite 'badass' kind of female character (T2 Sarah Conner already mentioned she was amazing):

13.jpg

I love the movie so much one of my favorite action films it's called La Femme Nikita if anyone here hasn't seen it yet. From the writer/director of Leon. This girl is really sexy/beautiful in the movie, her lips are ridiculous, but she's able to look professional enough as an assassin. This movie has oozes french kind of style check it out on netflix (subtitled only, dubs suck).

^5 for La Femme Nikita (movie version). Forgot about that one.

I remember reading a thread about turn offs a while ago and one if the biggest ones guys kept posting was "girls who use excessive profanity."

Which I'm sad to say I'm pretty guilty of. :/ Anyone else have this problem? I have a decent vocabulary I just.... I just... I dunno. Anyone got any tips on how to avoid swearing for emphasis?

Kisaya

Ducky_McGee said:
I remember reading a thread about turn offs a while ago and one if the biggest ones guys kept posting was "girls who use excessive profanity."

Which I'm sad to say I'm pretty guilty of. :/ Anyone else have this problem? I have a decent vocabulary I just.... I just... I dunno. Anyone got any tips on how to avoid swearing for emphasis?

Yup I have it too. I'm an impulsive person so it happens :/ But with people I don't know that well I usually can control myself. Honestly I don't really see why is a big turn off unless you have a nasty tone with it.

Londa

Banned
Ducky_McGee said:

I don't have a problem with cursing but I feel that...I would never change my speech to be accepted by the other sex.

I guess I could suggest that you try hard not to let your mind think of the curse word?

Ducky_McGee said:

I'm extremely vulgar but I think it comes with being around more boys than girls growing up. And being more in those communities in which swearing is pretty much a norm.

Not like I'm telling people to fuck off or calling names either, I just use them as descriptors more often.

Angry Fork

Ducky_McGee said:

Girls who curse a lot become hotter to me so i'm okay with it, not sure why guys would consider it a turn off. It makes me think they're down to earth and don't really care about what kind of rules they should abide by or anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdZmMiHTaVc

However it would be disappointing if it's the only way they can communicate. As long as they have a good vocab outside of that then it's cool.

Prax

Ducky_McGee said:

I've never used a lot of profanity. Just doesn't suit my character well. :>
Maybe just use fake words (friggin', freakin' doof) or grunting noises? That ain't exactly sexy either though.

Opiate

A personal favorite for me is Emma Thompson in Wit:

wit.jpg

I'd like to remind everyone to try and keep this girl centric. I'm going to go ahead and delete the pictures of "hot chicks" gyrating on stripper poles. We still are trying to be cautious with this, so there is no punitive action as of now, but I would say common sense should dictate that "hot chicks on stripper poles" aren't perfectly compatible with a thread intended for women.

Prax

Opiate said:
A personal favorite for me is Emma Thompson in Wit:

wit.jpg

I'd like to remind everyone to try and keep this girl centric. I'm going to go ahead and delete the pictures of "hot chicks" gyrating on stripper poles. We still are trying to be cautious with this, so there is no punitive action as of now, but I would say common sense should dictate that "hot chicks on stripper poles" aren't perfectly compatible with a thread intended for women.
That was such a cool movie.
I love bitter witty women.
I wish to become one, one day! Just 30-40 more years to go. It will be so awesome.

I usually like all the cool witty women in movies.
Sexy and naive hot heads don't seem to be my type (guy or girl). Neither are women that "try too hard" to be tough and be one of the boys. Try-hards are painful for me to watch.

re: Zelda

I've also loved Zelda's portrayal in the games, and their efforts to make her a more active part of the adventure, like Link's teammate almost.

I don't know if any of you played Spirit Tracks, but I loved her in that game -- she gets to wear a big suit of armor, kill stuff with a big sword, and carry Link around, it's pretty awesome.

That said, I wouldn't want her to replace Link. She fits a specific part of the archetype. She's supposed to be wisdom, and she's still a Princess. I've liked her bow-and-arrow parts in the Zelda games because they're an elegant, princessy sort of thing. I don't want her to get her hands dirty -- that's for other awesome women like Samus.

As a side question -- a lot of you are saying you like Sheik. I got into a discussion with my girlfriend about how my assumption was that she used her magic to turn into a guy (the musculature of the character, especially the upper body, says "male" to me) but she thought it was just cross-dressing. She was also a bit tomboyish as a younger girl so I wonder if the tomboyish girls here are sort of projecting, in a sense, onto the character. I don't mean it in a negative way at all, just a curiosity of mine.

Also, I know she's an AI, but GlaDOS is a great female character, if you ask me.

Lastly, I totally agree that I'm tired of the problems with how female characters that are supposed to be "strong" are portrayed. Why can't we just have more normal females that aren't differentiated purely by being THE female?

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I think it's hard for a lot of us guys to understand what is and isn't the sort of stuff girls want to talk about - to be fair some subjects brought up by women are pretty taboo when brought up by men. And I think a lot of guys want to participate in this thread, not in any sort of... creepy, I want to stalk you, sort of way - but sort of the same way straight guys like to ask questions in Gay-GAF threads.

That being said, maybe the male footprint is a bit too large in this thread, so I'ma back out and sort of just watch from a distance, after this one last comment!

Girls who decorate their own places, what colour palette/design theme appeals to you? I sort of have free reign in designing my place, and I want to incorporate a lot of earthy pastel shades, but I don't know if that's going to look good in the long run, or if it's going to put forth the right image of me - I want my place to say "bachelor pad" without it being gross and dirty or black/white/chrome.

Londa

Banned
Kinitari said:
I think it's hard for a lot of us guys to understand what is and isn't the sort of stuff girls want to talk about - to be fair some subjects brought up by women are pretty taboo when brought up by men. And I think a lot of guys want to participate in this thread, not in any sort of... creepy, I want to stalk you, sort of way - but sort of the same way straight guys like to ask questions in Gay-GAF threads.

That being said, maybe the male footprint is a bit too large in this thread, so I'ma back out and sort of just watch from a distance, after this one last comment!

Girls who decorate their own places, what colour palette/design theme appeals to you? I sort of have free reign in designing my place, and I want to incorporate a lot of earthy pastel shades, but I don't know if that's going to look good in the long run, or if it's going to put forth the right image of me - I want my place to say "bachelor pad" without it being gross and dirty or black/white/chrome.

Well this thread is trying not to be a place for straight men to ask women questions. We aren't here to provide a service. We want to talk about female subjects.

Kinitari said:

Something like this I think is a good medium for you. It's greens and browns.

VrR1N.jpg

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Londa said:
Well this thread is trying not to be a place for straight men to ask women questions. We aren't here to provide a service. We want to talk about female subjects.

Yeah I can appreciate that, I am assuming it's not like you girls have the opportunity to talk to other girls who share so many similar interests very often, so a chill place to do so would be nice.

Devolution said:
Something like this I think is a good medium for you. It's greens and browns.

http://i.imgur.com/VrR1N.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I like it minus the wicker.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Favourite video game characters

Alyx from half Life games

28v4ow3.jpg

Shadow Marshal Luger from the very first Killzone, probably one of the only two likeable characters from the ISA side in the ENTIRE Killzone series, apart from Templar.

2lvzghz.jpg

The Boss from MGS3

2wdndrb.jpg

Elena from Uncharted (Ignore Drake)

2hncs5y.jpg

Chloe from Uncharted games

2ecn792.jpg

EDIT: Also Pre Wii Samus Aran

Damn. Am I really late to this party or what?

Glad to see where all the girls are on GAF. Sometimes I can't tell with the usernames. Like mine. I'm sure I come off like a dude.

*subscribed* Imma lurk moar now.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Did my post get deleted? I could've swore I just posted, I was genuinely curious too.

Guess I'll ask again: Girl-GAF, what makes you like a female character aside from realistic body proportions?

Cheska

Have we already discussed the generic "What's you're favorite Disney movie" question ladies?

It'll forever and always be Beauty and the Beast for me.

1-images-beauty-beast-g.jpg

Aeana

Cheska said:
Have we already discussed the generic "What's you're favorite Disney movie" question ladies?

Sleeping Beauty.

Thanks to a sister who was and still is obsessive about Disney movies, I can probably sing word-for-word any of the songs in a Disney princess movie, or at least any in the pre-Mulan days.

And probably the whole script itself for Little Mermaid (her favorite). She actually wore out the VHS tape for that one.

That said, from my perspective, Gaston is Disney's best character ever.

Prax

Cheska said:

http://www.imagesdisney.com/images/1-images-beauty-beast-g.jpg

Yes! Beauty and the Beast!
I enjoyed Tangled a lot too. It wasn't as "grand" And beauty and the Beast, but I think it put it up there with the old classics.

Disney should continue making princess movies with songs forever.

rataven

Cheska said:
Do Pixar films count? If so, mine is

En7Qb.jpg

For the more traditional animation, then it's definitely The Little Mermaid. Beauty and The Beast was amazing too.
Prax said:
I enjoyed Tangled a lot too. It wasn't as "grand" And beauty and the Beast, but I think it put it up there with the old classics.
I just saw this two days ago and loved it! So beautiful, and Zachary Levi's voice work was amazing.

Hard to pick.

Little Mermaid I think. I didn't actually see most of the classic Disney movies when I was little. Grew up without ever seeing Bambi, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White etc. My 4 year old niece LOVES 101 Dalmatians. I think that's up there too.

She also loves Tangled which is adorable. I took her to see it in theaters and she sat through the whole movie playing with her hair, entranced. So cute. She's been obsessed with it ever since.

ikkemenx

Aeana said:
Sleeping Beauty.

Lion King, followed by Beauty and the Beast. I really like Aladdin too, though...

EDIT:

Prax said:
Yes! Beauty and the Beast!

Disney should continue making princess movies with songs forever.

I watched Tangled recently and was very pleasantly surprised! Stunning animation and some awesome songs. Was very impressed with Mandy Moore's performance, completely shocked when I found out it was her.

I'm 19.

As for what I like about a female character, really depends. Sometimes it's the breaking of a stereotype or just overall baddassness. Sometimes it can just be something really unique and stylistic. A great example I think is Sheena from Tales of Symphonia. She's perfectly and completely feminine without being the slightest bit girly or ditzy. She's heroic, a ninja, and actually a character you can sympathize with.

Kisaya

Cheska said:

I like almost all of them, but probably Little Mermaid or Tangled if I had to choose.
They should make princess movies forever :(

Rikkun

ikkemenx said:
Lion King [...]
Wow, I thought Lion King would be the very last Disney movie a girl could place on top of her top something.

Also: no Mulan? girl-gaf is quite strange to me.

Kisaya

Rikkun said:
Wow, I thought Lion King would be the very last Disney movie a girl could place on top of her top something.

I love Lion King and Mulan :(

Rikkun said:

huh? Why? Lion King is excellent. It's not like girls are immune to quality. And Scar is an incredible villain.

ikkemenx

Rikkun said:

Mulan is definitely up there, don't worry. And yeah, Lion King topples over the rest in my opinion. It was a grand success on pretty much every level imaginable.

Aeana

Rikkun said:

I love Mulan.
Sleeping Beauty is just better. And is something I watched during my childhood, so I have more nostalgia for it. I was like 18 when Mulan was released.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Mulan, Sleeping beauty and The Lion King are my favourite animated movies. WallE isn't too bad either.

EDIT: Oh so I'm not the only one who likes Mulan :D

Yackie

Ducky_McGee said:
Just out of curiosity. How old is everyone here? (I'm 20)

Well, I'm older than you but slightly younger than Aeana, and I'll just leave it at that.

Cheska said:

The Little Mermaid is my favorite for sure (followed by Aladin/Lion King/Beauty and the Beast all tied for 2nd). Ariel is the best and will always be my #1 seashell bra-wearing, legs-wanting, voice-losing, red haired, under the sea girl. Although I must say Prince Eric was pretty bland. Favorite Prince gotta be Aladdin for me.

And also, for some reason, I just really hated Tangled. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I hated the songs, the story was boring, and I just wasn't feeling it.

ikkemenx

Yackie said:
Well, I'm older than you but slightly younger than Aeana, and I'll just leave it at that.

The Little Mermaid is my favorite for sure (followed by Aladin/Lion King/Beauty and the Beast all tied for 2nd). Ariel is the best and will always be my #1 seashell bra-wearing, legs-wanting, voice-losing, red haired, under the sea girl. Although I must say Prince Eric was pretty bland. Favorite Prince gotta be Aladdin for me.

And also, for some reason, I just really hated Tangled. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I hated the songs, the story was boring, and I just wasn't feeling it.

Aladdin's voice/singing voice *swoon*

Omigosh... I love the Emperor's New Groove!! As far as princess movies go, I really liked Tangled and my fave childhood princesses were from most fave least face were: Ariel from The Little Mermaid, Belle from Beauty and the Beast, and Jasmine from Aladdin... Surprising that are some of the most vocal and strong Disney heroines? I think not!! Si predictable

Cheska said:

http://www.imagesdisney.com/images/1-images-beauty-beast-g.jpg
I love Beauty and the Beast. It's my favorite but I was a huge Disney dork when I was younger. Loved Little Mermaid, Aladdin, and all that but I think Disney is another reason I liked animals so much when I was younger because of Jungle Book, Lion King, Fox and the Hound, and 101 Dalmations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom