• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giveaway - Gaming is Good Edition

qNWNC56.png

In light of the recent controversies, politics and journalists vilifying gamers and our hobby, the growing divide in the community and the recent turmoil that NeoGAF was put through, I felt like making a small and humble gesture in order to emphasize the many positive aspects of the gaming community. So I've bought a Humble Bundle and will be giving away all the games.

Over my many years of gaming, I've encountered so many fellow gamers from all walks of life and from all the corners in the world. We went on virtual adventures, beat bosses, competed against each other, shared moments of joy and hardship and told each other stories about our epic feats and unflattering failures. Yes sometimes we like to talk smack, we niggle a lot, we don't always agree and yes we are far from perfect, but in the end it is our hobby that binds us.

Gaming is good, so let us celebrate this community, let us celebrate gaming!

NxG8ab4.png

Tell us an uplifting, heartfelt or funny story about one of your experiences with the gaming community. Tell us why you are a gamer and what gaming means to you. Let's show some appreciation for each other, the games we enjoy and the stories we share. And most importantly, let's have a good time.

u6yb0iY.png

Broken Sword 5: The Serpents Curse
Shadowrun Returns
Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure
Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut
Shadowrun: Hong Kong - Extended Edition
Wasteland 2: Director's Cut - Standard Edition
Age of Wonders III
Xenonauts
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Dreamfall Chapters

9YdaFXN.png

If you want to participate, use this banner in your reply (so that it is easier to recognize). Everybody else is free to like and comment. Please make sure to mention the games that you want to win from the list above. Based on the likes that each story receives, I will pick the winners and pm you a Steam key. Everybody can participate. I'll let the giveaway competition run until next Friday, March 2, or until all games have been given away.

x28QoHx.png

• sadaiyappan - Torment: Tides of Numenara
  • Kadayi - Dreamfall Chapters
  • DeliciousDoc - Wasteland 2
  • Tesla Effect - e0n

I'll be very much looking forward to your contributions. Good luck :)
(note to mod: feel free to move this to off-topic if it doesn't fit here)

Last edited:
Good luck to everyone. Things like this makes me feel privileged for being a NeoGafer and being a gamer in general.

Started gaming because i liked cartoons a LOT as a kid. ''Getting to play moving cartoons ? Is this real ?'' was my first reaction when i first saw Genesis at one of my friend's house. Unfortunately, my family were not from a well to do class so i couldn't afford one. Worked my way in life, now im about to complete my Masters in Business administration and play my ps4 whenever i can. 30 yrs of age and i'm not stopping. Without making it much dramatic, i hope to see advances in videogaming in future so i hope to keep respawning to experience this marvel of human past time.

Thank you,

A friendly neighborhood Gaffer.

Last edited:
qNWNC56.png

Gaming has been a learning tool for me.

Like many people, I learned English from badly translated Japanese games. Later, I then learned Japanese from unreleased games.

I also learned of facts about a variety of subjects through games. When I have discussions about history, geopolitics, psychology a lot of times the question "why do you know that" the answer is either school or games.

Unfortunately games are not useful to learn social skills.

I hope this story qualifies. I would like wasteland 2 if I were to win.

Last edited:

sadaiyappan

When I was younger (2008) I had a surround setup and a new LCD flat 1080p tv in my room. I already had everything set up for a game room. So I thought I am just missing a console. So I took apart my desktop and sold each part on ebay. I saved up enough for ps3 and bought one on ebay. Then I kind of got way less depressed and way too into video games. I forgot about many of the things that I did at university. Then I signed up to study at a different college (computer science). I also ended up losing too much weight and my life kind of changed. I graduated and now have a computer science degree. My family ended up becoming wealthy. I think all these positive things happened to me after I bought my ps3 so I thank gaming for some of this.

bronk

Banned
This is very kind of you! If I ever want to giveaway some games which I think I would like to. I'll let you do it haha. I'm not good at setting up a nice thread.

When I was younger (2008) I had a surround setup and a new LCD flat 1080p tv in my room. I already had everything set up for a game room. So I thought I am just missing a console. So I took apart my desktop and sold each part on ebay. I saved up enough for ps3 and bought one on ebay. Then I kind of got way less depressed and way too into video games. I forgot about many of the things that I did at university. Then I signed up to study at a different college (computer science). I also ended up losing too much weight and my life kind of changed. I graduated and now have a computer science degree. My family ended up becoming wealthy. I think all these positive things happened to me after I bought my ps3 so I thank gaming for some of this.

In my case, I didn't have weight to lose (opposite problem) but games have helped distract me from stressful times in my life. Weird that selling your computer lead to a computer degree but it is hard to predict what will happen in life.

Kadayi

Banned
qNWNC56.png

There are manifold reasons why gaming is good, but I think the thing that really stands out for me is that as an interactive medium it has meant that I've engaged with people from a multitude of diverse places and backgrounds through CO-OP, Competitive MP, MMOs and gaming web forums and have not only found common ground with them but also been exposed to a lot of insights, information, play and life strategies and recommendations from them on a variety of subjects covering pretty much everything under the sun, from TV shows through to real shaving.

Game wise: Dreamfall chapters

I think all these positive things happened to me after I bought my ps3 so I thank gaming for some of this.

Please make sure to tell us which games you would like to win.

This is very kind of you! If I ever want to giveaway some games which I think I would like to. I'll let you do it haha.

I'm certainly planning on doing more in the future, at least once in a while. Feel free to pm me your ideas :)

Well, unfortunately this giveaway didn't get a lot of traction, so I decided to gift the games to everyone who participated. Following prizes have been sent out:
The other games are still available, so feel free to share your story. Will be giving them away on a first come first serve basis now :)

Kadayi

Banned
Well, unfortunately this giveaway didn't get a lot of traction, so I decided to gift the games to everyone who participated. Following prizes have been sent out:
The other games are still available, so feel free to share your story. Will be giving them away on a first come first serve basis now :)

Thank you very much Strange. Most generous. :)

DonF

man, I applaud your initiative. I don't want any games, I just wanna say that its a shame it didn't get more traction. Gaming has been very good to me and it's my hobby/vice.
Congrats to the winners and I read all your stories, GG.

e0n

Do you still have Tesla Effect?

I'm never one to share personal stories online, but I do think gaming is still probably the most enjoyable hobby in terms of fun/cost. Nowadays, I only play several games per year, but it's interesting to see games being a lot more social and showcasing technological advances over the years.

Tumle

I first starting my gaming career at about 5-6 years old when I passed the local arcade with my grandfather it was around 1984 and I was so intrigued with all the bibs and bobs coming from those big machines.. I can still recollect me begging my grandfather every day I was visiting him and my grandmother, if we could go to the arcade and try the machines. Most of the time they said no, because they didn’t see the fun that I did, and thought I was too young to play, as I could barely see the screen if I wasn’t sitting on a barstool. Plus the kind of people hanging at the arcades was much much older than me..
But one day and I still remember it clearly my grandpa told me we where going for a ride to pick up some things from the mall(that’s where the arcade was).
When we got there he walked me straight up to the arcade area and showed me his coin purse which was filled to the rim with the danish version of quarters, and we spend all afternoon with my brother playing everything from star wars to dragons lair, and every machine in between until we had emptied the coin purse... I was too young to know what to do in those games(kids back then where not so tech savvy as today’s kids),but I was loving every second of it :)

ehead

I play games for fun and relaxation. Most of the media I watch/listen to are related to games. It's really a good part of my lifestyle now. As for positive gaming communities, I think the MHW online community is great. I wish other online communities are the same.

If you still have Xenonauts, I'd like to give that game a try. I only discovered the XCOM series 3 years ago. Started with XCOM Enemy Unknown, I got immediately hooked. Then tried XCOM Enemy Within, game got harder but I still loved the gameplay. Then in 2016, I bought XCOM 2, and that game became one of my favorites. I hear Xenonauts is similar to the classic XCOM games, and I wanted to check if I'll get hooked as the sequel is coming.
qNWNC56.png

I remember when South Park: Stick of Truth was out. As a massive South Park fan, I was really looking forward to it, but, at the time, one of my cats became sick and the vet bills ate up all my money, and then some, that I'd set aside for South Park. I just made an off-hand comment about being foiled by my damn cat. Hype was at an all-time high, cash wasn't. But I was excited for the game and was reading either an OT or hype thread for the game. Then I got a private message from a fellow GAF member offering a steam code. I was kind of blown away by it. They said cat emergencies were no fun, and they had one that cost them a fortune, so here's a steam code. So, yeah, I think for the following week or so, I battered that game to completion. It lived up to my expectations. Stick of Truth was a fantastic tribute to the series and its fans. Thank you, Clydefrog. I still haven't forgotten your moment of kindness.

If you still have Xenonauts or Shadowrun : Hong Kong, I wouldn't mind trying either. But, anyway, that's my little story for what it's worth.

Doom85

I was able to play video games early as a little kid mainly thanks to my cousin who gave me my NES and a ton of games since he wasn't playing it anymore. My parents didn't want to get me such an "expensive" gift for Christmas (even though IIRC some of the LEGO sets I got were of a comparable price) so this was a massive deal for me. I remember beating Dragon Quest 1 and how proud I felt, never quite beating Mario Bros. 3 (think I must have been halfway through the final world, hard to tell, it just keep going!), playing Friday the 13th and thinking, "there are monsters in those movies? I thought it was one killer guy?" since I wasn't allowed to watch them yet, playing Batman a ton even if I could barely get through a handful of levels, etc.

Finally with the N64/PS1 gen, my parents were willing to get me a console for Christmas (and for the Gamecube I managed to save up enough allowance money, while PS2 was a Christmas gift) and my mom found an INSANE deal for a N64 with 3 games: Mario Kart 64, Star Fox 64, and NBA Hangtime (Don't remember the exact price but it was cheap apparently). I didn't freak out as much as the N64 kid, but it was probably comparable to how I felt inside, that Christmas day was awesome.

My last one is a bit more personal. Last year my 2nd favorite game was an indie adventure game called Night in the Woods (Nier Automata being my #1). There are some mild spoilers ahead so be warned:
I have some anxiety problems and one is that I sometimes worry about how much my friends really like me. They don't do or say anything to make me think this, it's just how I've always felt though it's not a severe paranoia or anything. So in Night in the Woods, at the end of Bea's character storyline if you choose to hang with her mostly during the game, she and Mae have a conversation after Mae unintentionally humiliates her and Bea is furious. After talking for a while and getting mad with one another, Mae questions if they would even be friends if they hadn't conveniently been in girl scouts together as kids and wound up stuck in this small town. Bea admits she's unsure but points out that with everything wrong in her life at this point that a friend in proximity is genuinely helpful to her regardless of Mae's shortcomings. It really spoke to me, that if my own friends genuinely were unsatisfied with me they would be making clear signs to distance themselves from me but that's never happened (likewise, for as frustrated or angry Bea can get with Mae, she is always willing to spend time with her). I'm like Mae, not necessarily in specific behavior, but in that I admit I'm not always the most "mature" person and that I can probably be frustrating at times, but I realize that what happiness and support I do give my friends outweighs any negative aspects. Night in the Woods does an excellent job at covering a lot of mental and emotional issues people can face in their lives and I was genuinely helped by playing it, so the highest of kudos to its development team.

If you still have Shadowrun: Dragonfall, I would be happy to receive it. Thank you for this thread, sharing joy with others is always welcome.

Kaleinc

Banned
Gaming is one of few pleasant distractions and also made me resistant to trash talk :D

Is Age of Wonders III still available?

Top Bottom