• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

giveaway: Paper Monsters: Recut for Wii U eShop (NA, three copies)

maxcriden

cover_large.jpg

Paper Monsters: Recut hit Wii U this past Thursday in NA.

Via Nintendo.com:

Dive into the world of Paper Monsters Recut and watch a living world made out of paper, cardboard, and even a few cotton balls unfold right before your eyes.

Paper Monsters Recut mixes classic 2D platformer gameplay with gorgeous 3D graphics and brings it to life in a brand new title for Wii U.

--FEATURES--

Classic 2D platformer gameplay with gorgeous 3d environments.
An adorable cast of fun, original characters.
Tight responsive controls, with super-speed and double jump!
Old school-style playable overworld, with plenty levels and secrets to unlock along the way.
Tons of awesome power ups including jetpacks, submarines, lasers and more!
Collect special treasures to unlock bonus high score mini games.
Awesome original soundtrack.
Wii U GamePad special features and support, including Off-TV Play!
Fun for gamers of any age.

Via Nintendo Life's description:

Since the release of Paper Monsters, millions have explored Paper Land and fallen in love with its quirky cast of characters. In Paper Monsters Recut for Wii U players will experience:

New levels, redesigned levels, space levels.
More power ups, more bad guys, more of everything
Full graphics overhaul; including new lighting, animations, effects, and more
Recut and completely remade for Wii U

To celebrate the game's release, I have three NA copies of the game to give away.

How to Enter

The game taps into a sense of childlike whimsy and wonder. To enter, tell me a story about a game you played as a child that really stuck with you, be it funny, sad, scary or triumphant, or anything in-between.

Anyway, OST samples, screens and videos are welcome. You may enter as may times as you like, but you can only win one copy.

I will choose winners in a few days so you can get your paper gaming on very soon!

Disclaimer: I do not work for Mobot or any game company. If I'm giving away an eShop or Steam game in a thread like this, the codes are usually provided by the publisher or developer, but I am not being paid or asked to do this.

DangerMan

Banned
Mischief Makers provided a sense of wonder and childlike joy that wasn't found anywhere else at that point in my life. From it's sense of humour to its artstyle and music everything about the game resonated with me in a way that few games have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uKtzlH5zAc listening to this song gives me more Nintendo nostalgia than most first-party N64 games.

Cbajd5

One time I played Hey! You! Pikachu!. now my main memory of it is being terrified by something involving Haunter in it, which I know is probably ridiculous, but I haven't gone back to it so see what it even was.

I should probably do that eventually since I think I've got found everything I need to play it again.

From the OP:

Oh, thanks. It was hidden in plain sight it seems.

The game that stuck with me the most from my childhood is The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. It was a Zelda game that felt very unfamiliar and whimsical in comparison to the land of Hyrule in Ocarina of Time, and it sparked a sense of curiosity to explore and get to know it because of just how strange it was. The characters really stuck with me and it was the first time in a video game where I felt like I connected with the characters in the game, no matter how minor they were. And what's better is that even though the game took on a whole new meaning as I aged, it still sparks the same childlike curiosity to explore the world that I had when I was a kid, which most games don't really do often anymore.

Oh, and the Deep Pythons still scare me 14 years later.

Coppanuva

The game that stuck with me the most in a sense of whimsy from childhood was probably Banjo Kazooie. I remember first going out into the tutorial area and it's massive. The intro area to that game was as big as some full levels in other games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C3m5Lno_20

The other thing that stuck with me is the music, it just fit the levels so well. The dark caverns sounded moist and had nice echos, going out into the sun brought flutes, that soundtrack is so fitting for every level. The abilities you got throughout the game made it so wonderful as well, you'd be playing a level and suddenly you get a flying power! Or the ability to run up inclines. You never knew where these might come from but they always made it feel so exciting going somewhere new.

eggwolio

Pretty much the only RPG I ever made it through (that wasn't mario or south park) is Faxanadu. In my third grade year, this kid moved to town and then his family moved away the summer after. He wasn't even in town a whole year, but to this day, I remember his name and occasionally facebook stalk him because I loathe his big brother. Once I finished the game, I loaned it to him. In the sleeve with the cartridge was the slip of paper with all of my passwords on it. Including the one with everything maxed. The one that I really worked hard for. The one that started me in the room before the boss, ready to go. I only beat that boss one time before I loaned him the game and his big brother destroyed my password sheet. I've never had the patience to get through it again, but it still is very special to me.

North America.

steveovig

One of my favorite games of all-time is Super Mario World and I've had it, in one form or another since launch. Maybe like 20 years ago, I had a save on my cart with a star on it and I was very proud of it. I happened to be sleeping over my cousin's house and while I was sleeping, he pops in SMW. By the time I woke up, my save had been wiped out mistakenly and I was angry, very angry but I internalized it all and didn't let on much. That was a pretty traumatic incident for a 10 year old to experience. We've remained close all these years though (me and my cousin).

wilflare

I was thinking quite a bit about this and it's hard to really pinpoint one specific game.

for me, Suikoden II will always be special to me - having played it when I was still under the age of 13 (I can't remember exactly when... but I wasn't a teenager then)
I try my best to not talk about the story/plot in detail lest I spoil it for anyone.

I grew very attached to all the characters in the game - I wanted to find out more about each and every single one of them. I made sure I found all the 108 characters so that I could save everyone and get the best possible ending. I shuffled among all the characters to try out the different attack/skill combos - it was just rather crazy.

It was a very powerful experience in the sense that for my age then, the game's story/plot made me think about my little world then - how it would feel if I had to fight my best friend in school then. in some senses, it also inspired some form of idealism and a yearning for adventure - like how would it feel to take on the world with my good friends in school then.

it stuck with me till this day and remains, in my heart, as one of the best games I have ever played - it highlighted or foretold the process of growing, of the coming of age - a reminder of the little promises we've made as young friends, no matter how silly they may seem at some points, end up being the bond that keeps us together.

sigh. I would love to play this on my Vita

enewtabie

When I was a kid, my mom kept me out of School for the day and took me to Hecht's and bought me Legend of Zelda.. I played that game until the late hours of the night. She
told me I had been a good boy and wanted to do something for me.

rjc571

Banned
Is it really that hard for people to read the OP? Cheezus Crust.

The one game from my early childhood that really stuck with me is the first game I ever played through by myself: Sierra's Mixed Up Mother Goose. My father was a huge fan of Sierra's text-base adventure games, especially the King's Quest series, and while I would often watch him play those games and offer him (usually bad) advice, they were far too complex and too punishing for my 4 year old self to tackle on my own. Enter Mixed Up Mother Goose, a "faux-adventure game" whose gameplay premise is as simple as it gets: find items scattered around the game world and return those items to their proper owners, who happened to be characters from well-known nursery rhymes.

F2AfyJ9.png

Of course, such a simplistic game would be considered laughable by today's standards. But back in the early 90s, seeing my favorite nursery rhymes translated into an interactive package, complete with the bleeps and bloops of my 286's internal speaker blaring out the corresponding song after I completed the quest for each nursery rhyme, was a sight to behold for my 4 year old self. Sierra had some of the best EGA artists in the business, and their beautiful, low-fidelity 16 color pixel art really helped breathe life and character into the scenarios presented by the nursery rhymes. I can still feel the atmosphere that the game evoked as I approached the moonlit clearing in the back corner of the map, delivering the fiddle to the cat to complete the Hey Diddle Diddle quest.

V3p9wfu.png

Despite probably being the simplest game ever made, Mixed Up Mother Goose is still the most important game from my early life. It showed me the value of gaming as a medium for entertainment by demonstrating the type of response that such an interactive medium can invoke by, intimately connecting the player with the game world and characters. Soon afterwards I was ready to take on more complicated games such as Lemmings, and the rest, as they say, is history.

Camjo-Z

A game that really stuck with me as a kid, huh? Well, that would have to be... Animal Crossing!

tumblr_mqfv9mJzPq1stovwyo1_250.gif

My brothers and I all had houses in the game and we all covered different bases. My character, a girl named "Bonnet" who only wore gingham clothes, was the bug-catcher and general penny-pincher who'd do anything for money. (Countless weeds were sprouted and countless Bells were pocketed thanks due to my constant changing of the in-game date.) My younger brother played a fishing-obsessed boy only known as "xcv!" who would often be sporting a tan from his many trips to the Gameboy Advance island. My youngest brother played another girl named "Katrina" who sucked at everything but had fun doing it, and my oldest brother... you know, I don't even remember his character, he barely played the game. All I remember is whenever he did, he was a major asshole who would pick up and sell everything he saw on the ground and buy up all the good items from the stores! Even Bonnet had some standards...

Anyway, despite the lack of simultaneous multiplayer, we'd watch each other play and make up our own competitions. Who could send the most obnoxious letter to a villager and still get a thank-you note back, who could get a villager to say the most ridiculous catchphrase, who could plant pitfalls in the most devious places.

And even when we weren't coming up with challenges, hilarious moments were still abound. Somebody let Tortimer choose to build a bridge right next to the one already in town. My brother started his file one day, only to discover that his shovel had been taken from his inventory and dropped in the middle of a sea of pitfalls. Nobody would own up to it, but a mysterious figure only identified as "a man to konw" kept posting bizarre messages in the town square. (Considering one of us was still in preschool and I already knew how to spell properly, it wasn't too hard to guess who.)

tumblr_mametl7JoZ1qeg6edo1_500.gif

And the secrets this game held, holy shit! It felt like every time I played the game there was something new to find.

- The "money rock" you could randomly find each day (dig holes around yourself first to get maximum Bells and hear that cool 1-Up sound effect!)

- Getting a golden shovel by burying a regular shovel in a hole that money was dug up from

-The invisible ghost that would do you a favor if you found him in the wee hours of the morning

- The ability to change the menu background by dropping some clothes onto a hidden inventory slot

- The secret NES games you could only get through passwords (many thanks to Radd in Spaztown) or e-Reader cards

- The "DUMMY" beta item that could be randomly won in igloo games

- The insanely creepy "hollow face" I found myself wearing when I visited my cousin's town on a separate memory card and then didn't bother saving afterwards

And the list goes on! Usually these sort of tidbits would be the stuff of video game urban legends, but they were a reality in Animal Crossing.

tumblr_m74b4e1Zl01qeg6edo1_500.gif

I enjoyed the later games in the series, but none of them made the same impression on me as the first one did. Maybe it's because the internet got rid of the mystery since I can just look up things, or maybe it's because our differing schedules and locations mean my brothers and I can't share a town and have the same kind of fun together. But despite that, the original will still always be one of my favorite games.

sfried

I recall the first time I really got into playing videogames wasn't necessarily Super Mario Bros. or its pack-in counterpart Duck Hunt, but rather this odd little game my Aunt bought for us kids: It was called Faxanadu.

061224_faxanadu02.gif

Faxanadu_illustration.jpg

While it was certainly not the first game my siblings played hours-on-end, it was the first one I would see my older sister be invested in heavily, as with I. Back in those days, I was simply no good playing these games compared to my older sisters. I might sometimes borrow a top down shooter or side-scroller and get past the first few levels before losing all my lives, so I would often watch as my sis completed each segment of the ever expansive world of this game. This was, of course, before terms such as "metroidvania" came to describe them.

061224_faxanadu03.gif

I distinctly recall my sister fighting the first dragon in a castle in order to get the "Mattock". The dragon looked more like a bat, and in fact some of the designs did terrify me when they appeared on screen. My sister would fail at first, but then she would deftly try to use the upper foothold by climbing the "scaffolds" a few screens past, and she would use the "Deluge" ring along with some neatly timed swipes of the dagger before the beast was fell. I've seen her many times complete this segment that it has been seared into my memory.

The next few castles would also leave a lasting impression of wonder and terror as my sister ventured forth. Like me, she too didn't have any prior knowledge of what was to come, so there were strange and bizarre moments like encountering the "tambourine man" that somehow did damage to our character, and finding enemies inside town shops. It was cruel and harsh, but I saw her brave though these scenarios with impetuous problem-solving and resolve, no matter how bizarre the foes or obstacles might get.

061224_faxanadu04.gif

We finally get to the very last boss, and acquire the very last gear (that forces us to don a full knight armor as a set), and head straight to the lair of a meteorite creature. My sister and I was at first shocked at how it pretty much looked like a sci-fi alien than anything, but with only a few placed jump slashes with the sword, my sister downed the creature and any horror it may have presented. I was ecstatic to see her finally beat the game, jumping for joy (I was, after all, a little kid back then), with my big sister equally happy, but telling me to calm down.

After the epilogue, I felt I myself wanted to get better at playing videogames because of the sensation these feats of accomplishments brought; even if I wasn't the one who was playing, I always felt that something was done. That cemented me to the person I am today. But of course, I also thought of the game as one of the reasons I still up to my sister's sage advice to this day...

(Images courtesy of GameSpite)

I have many childhood favourites, such as Pokemon Crystal, Mario 64, and Super Smash Bros. I may do another post on one of those, but the one that I think best fits the criteria is Paper Mario. (Oh, both of the games involve paper!)

Paper Mario is a game I never owned. I didn't get very many games when I was younger, or at least ones that I directly picked. But I went to Rogers Video to rent a game every month or two. So, there was an N64 in the house, and I already had Mario 64, Donkey Kong, Goldeneye, and some others. I decided to rent Paper Mario one day, probably because it had Mario in it xD Now, I was probably four or five at the time (I just checked, and it came out in Japan on my 3rd birthday, must've been destiny) so I didn't have the best reading skills. So the game was hard to play...

But I played it anyways. Constantly talking to random people and going to random places to activate events was what I had to do. The first time I rented it I was able to get to the desert city, but I could never find where the temple to the star was (I didn't know the beeping led me to it). I played the other files on the cartridge, and one was in the sky area and another was at the final boss. I didn't advance on either one. The game had to go back.

But I rented it again on one of the other times I rented a game. This time I managed to get to the temple in the desert, but I couldn't beat it. So the game had to go back again.

A few years later, I rented The Thousand Year Door. This time instead of not being able to read, I decided NOT to read. So I didn't know the Koopa could hold his shell in place, thus I couldn't enter Hooktail's castle. I actually got this game for Christmas and redid my progress, and now I am at the final boss.

When the Wii VC console launched, I hoped for Paper Mario. The day I heard it was on the service, I bought it. I am now at the final boss. So there is a trend: cannot progress due to something to do with reading -> final boss -> stop. I will beat them some day.

So yeah, long post over, but Paper Mario was amazing to me as a child, even though I couldn't get far in it. Now, enjoy some music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5Tv3Q96jvQ

Paper Mario is one of my favourite games of all time. Almost everyone prefers TTYD, but the original holds a special place in my childhood.

tornjaw

When I was much, much younger my mother worked at a store called Children's Palace. It was the main competitor to Toys R' Us. Occasionally my dad would bring me by the store for me to see my mom just so I'd get a chance to see her. I didn't realize it at the time, but we didn't have much money and that was why they were both working as much as they did.

One game always caught my eye:

We only had 3 games for our Atari. Moon Patrol, Tank, and Yars Revenge. I had to have this game. Why? I don't know, maybe it reminded me of a teddy bear but I had to have it. After relentlessly bugging my parents, they finally got it for me.

On my birthday, my mom brought out a gift. She watched me rip open the wrapping surrounding the box as I tore it open and threw the game into our Atari. She sat and watched me play for no more than 5 minutes as she could tell that I was disappointed and frustrated. As it simply wasn't fun.

She turned it off, swapped carts, and sat down next to me to play Yars Revenge and she played with me for what seemed like forever making new sound effects with her mouth making me laugh and made me forget about how disappointed I was.

Yars Revenge is the only video game that I've ever seen her play and through all this time, she still has an Atari 2600 with Yars Revenge in the living room, though it's not hooked to the television anymore.

As a grade school kid in the '80s, the first real videogame system I played as a kid was the Atari 2600. One of my best friends got the system as a gift with a bunch of games that a friend of his family didn't want anymore (maybe because the guy was a teenager and they got a computer with games and the 2600 just didn't interest him anymore? His loss). He had all the classics, Pitfall, Atlantis, the Atari ports of Pac Man, DK and Mario Bros arcade and a ton of others. But one game that stood out was the first game to ever make me laugh:

Tank_Plus_2600_ScreenShot1.jpg

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v2OHV0EmaTU

The game was Tank. Just two little tank shaped sprites on a simple overhead maze shooting little ping pong style bullets at each other. It was like we had control over two little virtual tank toys, you know? Each time one of us would hit the other and the little tank would spin and go "Blooooop!" we would crack up, laughing like crazy, especially when the bullet would come from the other side of the screen. At one point his mom came into the living room while we were laughing and she chuckled and shook her head saying, "I think that game has taken over your brains." We just looked at each other, laughed and went back to battling it out with our primitive little sprite tanks.

Grizzo

There are already some really cool stories in this thread (and I've noticed that a lot of them are dealing with N64 games :D).

Keep them coming guys!

Oh boy I love this topic. I have a ton I can talk about, probably more than I should. For now I'll just mention these 2 with the last one being my personal favorite.

First off is Duck Hunt.

DuckHuntBox.jpg

I know this choice isn't original, but this game is very important to me since it's the first one I ever played. It boosted my interest in games and I do believe if I didn't played it I probably wouldn't have played any other game at all. That's how strong of an impression this game made on me.

One day I had to stay over at my cousin's house. I been there before and well to be honest I didn't like going over there much cause he would just pick on me. This time however when I went over there he just showed off his NES and his games to me. He had Super Mario bros/Duck Hunt, Snake Rattle 'n' Roll, a Ninja Turtles game and Dick Tracey. All he did was play those games in front of me for hours. I was insanely bored and when I asked if I could play he refused and said if I played he would sit on me. I didn't get jealous until he started to play Duck Hunt.

I just thought it was so cool when he pulled out that orange light gun and started shooting the ducks on the screen. I was amazed how they went down exactly where he shot them at, it just blew my mind he could do that without using the regular controller. Plus the game had a dog in it and I love dogs, so the other half of the reason I wanted to play was just for that. I begged, I offered my toys and dessert for him just to let me play once. He still wouldn't , so I continue to sit in agony as I watched him.

I thought I was never going to play, but a chance came my way and I took it. We got called to go to lunch at the table. So he rush out of his room to go eat. I stayed behind , locked his door and played Duck Hunt for what felt like years. It was pure fun. Even though I realize I sucked I still had a blast. I heard him yelling and screaming while pounding on his door , but I didn't care. I was just shooting ducks and trying to shoot that laughing dog. Eventually he got through and he stuck to his word. He sat on me for playing his games. Now mind you at the time my cousin was a very big boy, so this punishment was worse than it sounds. I also got in trouble since I messed with his items without his permission. While being told this my cousin oddly enough did the same laughing smirk that dog did from Duck Hunt. The one we all love to hate. He laughed too soon, because he also got in trouble since he sat on me. We spend the rest of the day without games, desserts, TV and had extra chores to do.

duck-hunt.gif

Even though I got in trouble plus sat on, I left there wanting my very own Duck Hunt. I really would do it all over again exactly the same. It was beyond worth it.

Now my next choice isn't really a game from just my childhood its one that remains relevant to my life even now. So I guess you could say it's the game of my life in some way. Now this game took a while before it even came into my house, but that didn't stop it from creating memories. Although it really wasn't appropriate for my age at the time, it provided some of my best gaming memories.

1057160759.jpg

That's right the cheesy over the top zombie shooting House of Dead is the game with most memories for me.

It all started when one day our car was having trouble, so we took it to the mechanics to get it fixed up. We were stuck there for hours and the only thing there was a House of Dead machine. Now my dad really wanted to play, but was really hesitant to do so. I was a very timid child, so he was afraid I would get scared. Going against his instincts he played the game , cause well he really wanted to play. lol Instead of getting scared, I was drawn in watching him play. Without even asking he threw in some quarters in the second slot for me to play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRUZbZoKaxI

We played those arcade games so much, I know the opening scene word for word from the first one. We would stop and play a round every time we saw one. He invented rules or handicaps in which ways we would play sometimes. Some of them included playing with one eye, playing with ya non dominant hand , playing both guns crisscross , etc. I would make excuses to go to places that had a machine there just so we could play. The day I beat his score is one of my most proudest gaming achievements. Just about every major event that happen in my life he found a way for us to play it. I remember the night of my HS graduation, as a surprise he took me to one of the last machines he could find in our city. We walked into this tiny arcade all dressed up just to play House of the Dead
We stayed there til closing and we played with all of our handicaps. It wouldn't surprise me if he did the same for whenever I get married. I wouldn't put it passed him.

Even today whenever one of us finds a machine we will play on it and text the other our score , handicap and the location of the machine. It doesn't happen as much since most of the machines are gone, but its still nice to do. Our fun doesn't stop there since I grabbed Overkill, HOD2&3 the Resident Evil on rails games for the Wii. ( yeah we actually have those and play them) We usually run through them around the holidays. It's just simple fun that I look forward to and I wouldn't change it for anything.

HouseOfDead460x276.jpg

I hope when I have kids I can do the same for them. Find a game we can enjoy together, through all stages of life with our own twist on it. Now it probably won't be full of cheesy zombies that explode like nuclear bombs. Whatever it is I hope it creates the same joy I had .

Glass Joe

Lol I keep tryin' to win a free game from maxcriden, maybe one day I will! But it's cool that you do this and smart of publishers to do so as it seems to get some word of mouth going about their games.

My choice of game to talk about as a kid that tapped into my "childlike whimsy and wonder" is Shadowgate for NES (yes, I'm an old fart). It was unlike anything I played at the time on the 8-bitter, kind of a puzzle game / RPG / text-adventure hybrid. And the theme was "mature," come to think of it. I remember it being actually creepy at moments and compelling despite the unforgiving nature of the game.

240full.jpg

This is one of the (if not the very first) screens of the game, and it has the potential to get you stuck. You have to learn the commands and "hit" the skull above the door to reveal a key to "take' and then "use" on the door... IIRC. I really was hoping for a Virtual Console version of this trilogy (also including Deja Vu and Uninvited) but if that were to happen, it would be missing out on some obvious touch screen potential.

EDIT: I am from North America of course, which the contest requires.

A classy, creepy game... Especially for this time of year (Halloween) to re-explore.

Banjo Tooie will forever be my answer to questions like this. Nothing will ever beat how I felt as a kid exploring this massive, interconnected world where my brain would repeatedly be melted and abused by puzzles that spanned multiple levels. There was just so much love and ridiculous attention to detail but into this game to the point where I was underwhelmed by most games I played afterwards for a while. It could just be the nostalgia talking, but man, that game fucking ruled.

TunaLover

The game did that for me was Super Mario 64

Super_Mario_64_%28NA%29.png

The jump to 2D sidescrolling games was something really impressive for me, the first time I saw the game running was in a retail, the game showing in an old tube screen, I still remember the feeling of wonder, I thought: It's like magic, you can move everywhere, and the world is so big!. In that moment the course playing was "Cool, cool Mountain", everything in the stage looked so vivid and fluid, is almost like you were inside the game.

From this:
super-mario-world.jpg

To this:
supermario64.jpg

Then I got my N64 and played the game, it happen something funny before start playing, I was so used to play with the d-pad that I handled the controller the wrong way, Mario didn't move, something was going on, re-connected the controller then I remember about the analog stick lol. The game intro although short was beatifull, seeing cameraman lakitu was wonderfull I only knew him in 2 dimensions, then the paning around the Peach Castle I really couldn't believe I was playing a video game.

Peach%27s_Castle_-_Overview_-_Super_Mario_64.png

The first thing I did once Mario jumped from the pipe was running free, it didn't make any sense now that I think aboit it, I felt a feeling of freedom, the new movements for Mario scared me at first I though: I only used to run, jump, and get inside pipes, what I gonna do with all this new movements!

Breakdance.gif

Mario_PPK.gif

From the free running I start experiment the movements and explore, there was no urgency of accomplish a goal, get items or collectibles, neither figure out what to do to get the next level, it was just exploring for fun, I remember I spend most of the time climbing on the threes, running on grass and making senseless jumping, looking the sky, enjoying the view.

Once I entered Peach Castle I got amazed by the music, coming from simple midi samples to more complex samples sounding like real life instruments, the interior looked so real, for the first time I was inside a 3D room.

I still remember how happy I felt with game, now 3D worlds are common but at that time it was really an amazing experience, not about frame rates, resolutions, image quality, art style, nothing, just pure fun.

Sorry for the images size, I'm typing through Wii U :p, if someone knows the html code to make thumbnails please let me know :)

This looks really cool, any word of an EU release? So tired of these awesome indie games hitting the US while we twiddle our thumbs

Shauni

Playing my first Pokemon was a pretty good one. I loved the idea of collecting a bunch of creatures, raising them, and sort of having all of these pets was a real novelty to me. At the time, I had just lost my first (and really only) pet dog. For whatever reason, my grandparents, whom I lived with at the time, really didn't want to get anymore pets. Pokemon kind of served as a virtual replacement to that, and it always made me think of my dog in an indirect kind of way.

EDIT: This would've been Pokemon Red Version specifically.

qko

I had two older brothers who finished most games on NES or SNES before I could. But the one game I finished before they could was 1943.

I played the game about two years ago and was stunned at how bad I was in my late 20's and how fricking good I must have been at 12.

maxcriden

By the way, we'll run the contest through tomorrow morning or so, and I'll pick winners then. The contest will be open until then. Please let me know if you have any questions!

Piscus

The NES was relatively new when I was a child, and it was something my father seemed to enjoy. I would sit there and watch him play for hours, completely content with not playing myself. I remember marveling as he beat the Legend of Zelda in one sitting, being instructed on how to get unlimited lives in Super Mario Bros (well, 128 lives), and cringing as the seaweed entrapped every turtle in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I was so enchanted with the device, and looking back, I think he was fully aware of my wonderment. That's why he could convince me so easily to run around the block to my friend's house to borrow Mega Man 2 or Super Mario Bros 3.
Let me repeat that.
Somehow, my father convinced a five-year-old me to travel great distances, on foot, to pick up a game so that he could play it. And I was excited to do it.

...I'd still probably do it again, if he asked me to.

Piscus

Oh man! Another story from my youth that I still bear the guilt of!

When I was like 7, my best friend and I lived pretty far apart, so we didn't get to see each other very often. We both had the NES and a love for video games, so whenever we saw each other, we would trade games to borrow. One time, when I was at his house, we put in a new game that his grandmother had recently bought him for his birthday:

I don't know why, but we were mesmerized by the opening level of the game. Being in a cabin and climbing stuff. That's all I really remember about it, but for some reason we were hooked. Miraculously, I convinced my friend to let me borrow his brand new game that he just got. I went home, and it turned out that we wouldn't be able to see each other for a while after that. Long enough for him to forget what he had done with the game. See, I made the fatal mistake, despite my parents warnings, of bringing borrowed games to another friend's house. While walking home, I realized that Dizzy was missing. I retraced my steps over and over, hoping I would find that gold, fake cartridge in the grass somewhere. I never found it, and weeks later when my friend told me he couldn't find it and asked if I had borrowed it, I denied any recollection of the game. I became the worst friend ever.

In the end, I bought a copy of the game years later (like 20 years later) and gave it to him for Christmas. I confessed of my wrongdoing, and he frankly forgave me, laughing the whole situation off. What was lost had now been found, and we played it together once more.

Turns out that game sucks. Like, really sucks.

In 1992, my cousin had a NES and my brother and I did not. We already had a Game Boy and we'd seen a NES thanks to a friend from school, but having one in the family elevated our last name above the rest. We weren't mere commoners anymore, we had something to be proud of! Some time after getting the NES, my uncle traveled to the USA and brought my cousin two games. As our cousin described them, one was the coolest thing ever, the other was unplayable. The first one had robots, which automatically made it better, and they were playing baseball no less. The other was unplayable, as in it literally couldn't be played since there was nothing to control. The cool one was Base Wars, the other was Dragon Quest 2.

We lived in different parts of the city and we saw each other on Sundays, holidays and summer vacation, always at our grandparents' house. The weekend right after getting his new games, my cousin brought his NES so we could play together. One look at the games' boxes and I knew my cousin was wrong: such awesomeness couldn't contain a bad game inside. Besides, it had Dragon right there in the title and it was next to the word Warrior and the number two!!! (Had it been the original Akira Toriyama artwork, I would have probably slapped him). On Friday, Dragon Quest 2 was played for all of five minutes (tops!) while my cousin and brother rested from destroying each other at robotic sports. But that was enough to see my cousin was a fool who had never heard of game intros (or at least that's why I think he thought he couldn't control the game... maybe...). They didn't let me take two steps outside of town before we were back to Base Wars.

Having already played Gargoyle's Quest, the overworld looked very familiar, fantastic and inviting. After all, I already recognized Gargoyle's Quest to be the best product of human civilization and I'd already explored every traversable graphic tile in its tiny overworld, so if this game was somewhat similar in at least one aspect, Dragon Quest 2 could only be one thing and that thing was awesome. I knew, however, that my brother and cousin would go out with my grandfather the next morning and that would allow me to Warrior some Dragons around on my own.

On Saturday morning I got out of bed before anyone else in the house, turned on our 80s Crown color TV, changed to channel 3, put Dragon Warrior 2 in the NES, and turned the power ON. My mind went places that morning. New places, and I'm not sure it ever returned. I was 7 at the time but thanks to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoons on VHS and the handful of games I'd already played, my English was good enough to make my way through town. Everything felt like a discovery. Having played Gargoyle's Quest, the town and overworld felt familiar, but the rest was like nothing else I'd ever seen. The title screen, the music, the way the story was written, and the game itself. Like a friend from Miiverse so eloquently put it: "That's NoriNori♪ (Well...,It mean My heart dancing with sounds.) It remain in my heart." Now we were talking. Now this is an adventure.

Right after getting out of town, one Slime appeared. My thoughts on the matter at hand: "Whoa! FIGHT RUN PARRY ITEM. No idea what PARRY is, only a slight idea of what an ITEM is and I don't wanna FIGHT anyone, Slime or otherwise. RUN!" And run I did. The little pacifist that I was tried to run from pretty much every single encounter for the duration of the entire play session. The concept of Experience Points was way beyond my young years, and conflict was already the least of my priorities. After picking one direction to go, I walked and walked, set on exploring as much as I could of that seemingly endless world. I remember reaching a cave where two guards stood, saying something about needing the King's permission to enter, but they were of no use to me so I kept on walking. But there was no escape. Eventually, of course, I got what was coming to me, inside some far away, dark cave, God knows how far from the first town.

A few hours later my brother and cousin came home and it was back to the boring life where games were about robots playing baseball and fighting each other over first base. Robots had never seemed more uncool to me, and never have ever since. A day later my cousin went back home, taking his NES away and with it any chance of me spending quality time alone with Dragon Quest 2 for many years to come. Every time I went to my cousin's house I would see the game cartridge, looking as inviting as it did that first day. But the poor thing never had a fighting chance against Ninja Gaiden 2 and Base Wars in my cousin's eyes, and it remained unplayed, probably forever. Thinking about all those lonely slimes, waiting for a hero to appear and slaughter them, is a sad, sad thing.

DQII1.png
DQII2.png
DQII3.png
DQII4.png

Like so many people in my life over the years, my cousin left the country in 1995 and I never saw him in person again. We talked a couple of times on the phone but nothing relevant could ever come out of a "forced" conversation like that, with the whole family hanging around us as we tried to make out each other's voices over a bad connection. The last time we talked he was already sick but I didn't know to what extent. I wanted to do more than exchange the usual "hello, how you doing?", but it had been more than ten years since we saw each other last. We had gone from 10 years old to over twenty and that kind of time creates a barrier that is hard to cross. We tried to speak and the right words wouldn't come out. When he died, I didn't know exactly how to feel and I didn't cry, as sad and depressing as the whole thing was. It felt like he had died a long time ago and this made me think about and question things that aren't really relevant to this thread.

One afternoon, about a year ago, I randomly decided to play Dragon Quest 2 for the first time in over a decade. The plan was to finally get to the end but I didn't last very long before the controller got all wet, it must have been raining in my room. Either that or I was crying, but I think I was able to hold back most of it anyway; I wasn't alone and no one likes to see other people cry for reasons they themselves don't fully understand and can't begin to explain. When people talk about emotional connection to videogames, like in a recent thread here on this forum, it's usually the story or characters that they talk about, or a certain cutscene created for that purpose. I don't know much about the story in Dragon Quest 2 and I have no idea what the characters are even called. I have actually never beaten the game. And yet, I can't get past the BEGIN A NEW QUEST screen without thinking about how much I miss my cousin and how grateful I am to my family for the childhood I had.

Do you think Horii, Sugiyama and Toriyama know that what they were making together in 1987 in Japan was actually loneliness?

DQIIRUN.png

Music Samples: Distant Journey / My Road My Journey / All Hope is Lost / Only Lonely Boy / Only Lonely Boy (vocal version performed by Meine Meinung, video)

...dang. After an entry like that, I'm not even sure if I deserve to win.
Haha, I think I might have gone a bit overboard with this one! So please don't say that! I really enjoyed reading your entries, they made me laugh out loud. Your father seems like a really cool dude!

Neo Dark

For me, the game will have to be Donkey Kong Country 2
DK_Country_2.jpg

This game and Super Mario World were probably my most played games on my SNES. The first game was great but the second was even better. This game would sometimes be the reason I had a friend of mine come over. Simply put, it was just to play this game.

This game practically reminds me that I had good times in my childhood and there were plenty of fun times. I mean how can you have a map in a game designed after a carnival and not have it scream fun to you?
K.K.Artwork.jpg

Everything about this game was what I loved and enjoyed as a three year old but improved on for the four year old me. Best of all, the game introduced some of the best pieces of music that David Wise has composed including the one we all know and love, Stickerbrush Symphony

Here's a few more that I enjoy
Kannon's Klaim
Snakey Chantey

To be honest, I really love the soundtrack overall, so maybe I should have just linked the whole soundtrack

Regardless, this game still resonates with me today especially the music and whenever I'm in the mood for some SNES music to think back to the days of my childhood, usually this soundtrack is my first pick.

I really need to go bust out my SNES over winter break and bring out this game again.

Also, while writing this, it made me want to write a little bit about Super Mario World as well.
super-mario-world-box.jpg

The thing that makes this game so important to me is because this was where it all started. It was one of the first video games I've played and one of the main reasons I loved playing video games in the first place. This game came with the SNES when my dad bought it for my mom so she could play it when she was pregnant with me. She was really good at it and after I was born, I grew up watching my mom play this game and learning how to play video games from her starting with this game. Without this game, In turn, I ended up dragging other family members like my grandpa into playing games with me and just having a good time with them. I probably wouldn't be the gamer I am today and wouldn't have had a chance to have fun playing games with my family as I did growing up without this game.

maxcriden

I humbly announce the winners:

The one game from my early childhood that really stuck with me is the first game I ever played through by myself: Sierra's Mixed Up Mother Goose. My father was a huge fan of Sierra's text-base adventure games, especially the King's Quest series, and while I would often watch him play those games and offer him (usually bad) advice, they were far too complex and too punishing for my 4 year old self to tackle on my own. Enter Mixed Up Mother Goose, a "faux-adventure game" whose gameplay premise is as simple as it gets: find items scattered around the game world and return those items to their proper owners, who happened to be characters from well-known nursery rhymes.

In 1992, my cousin had a NES and my brother and I did not. We already had a Game Boy and we'd seen a NES thanks to a friend from school, but having one in the family elevated our last name above the rest. We weren't mere commoners anymore, we had something to be proud of! Some time after getting the NES, my uncle traveled to the USA and brought my cousin two games. As our cousin described them, one was the coolest thing ever, the other was unplayable. The first one had robots, which automatically made it better, and they were playing baseball no less. The other was unplayable, as in it literally couldn't be played since there was nothing to control. The cool one was Base Wars, the other was Dragon Quest 2.

I enjoyed the later games in the series, but none of them made the same impression on me as the first one did. Maybe it's because the internet got rid of the mystery since I can just look up things, or maybe it's because our differing schedules and locations mean my brothers and I can't share a town and have the same kind of fun together. But despite that, the original will still always be one of my favorite games.

Thanks to all for playing. Stayed tuned for another giveaway very soon.

Aww man I missed this one! I won the first(?) giveaway so maybe I coudln't even have won lol. Game looks really interesting none the less and now I wanna buy it! Some great stories in here. I'm looking forward to the next one.

Zarovitch

When i was young i was the king (in my neighborhood) of Montezuma's revenge (ColecoVision version). When you complete the game, you restart at the begining but more it's more difficult. After some restart every wal and floor are black you only see enemies ans items.Even that didnt stop me to complete it. In this time, a friend of mine, sometime talk about it.

Thank you! There were some great entries this time, I enjoyed reading the whole thread.

Oh, neat, thank you. I've got the first two games but haven't played 'em yet.

Play them, I'm sure you'll love them! You'll also want to get the third one, it's my favorite. (and get the fourth and fifth and the two spinoffs while you're at it! XD)

Camjo-Z

Woo, thanks for the game max! Only played the first few levels on Paper Monsters so far but it seems like a solid platformer!

BTW, I checked out that drama you told me about... it was interesting, but I think I preferred the comedy style of the first one you recommended.

maxcriden

Woo, thanks for the game max! Only played the first few levels on Paper Monsters so far but it seems like a solid platformer!

BTW, I checked out that drama you told me about... it was interesting, but I think I preferred the comedy style of the first one you recommended.

My pleasure! (BTW, you should try Love Shuffle instead.)

Top Bottom