• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

giveaway: Wooden Sen'SeY for Wii U eShop (NA, three copies)

maxcriden

rOZqawB.jpg

zxRQUCR.png

Wooden Sen'SeY's been out for a while now. Despite a final level that is wayyyy too hard for me, I wanted to bring some extra attention to this delightful platformer. FWIW, I personally think it's a lot of fun to play this game using the Wiimote only and with motion controls off, but it's nice either way how many control schemes there are. Anyway, forgive me for re-using kubus-created assets from my OT for the game for this thread. I wasn't going to post this till tomorrow but Mondays can be busy so better to give y'all a chance sooner. It'll probably end mid-day Tuesday.

By the way, there is a demo available for the game if you'd like to try it out before entering.

Wooden Sen'SeY is an action-platform game, available to download from Nintendo eShop on Wii U, set in a unique Japanese Steam Rock world filled with humor. Follow Goro, a village chief, as he seeks revenge through a series of levels, from picturesque villages and underwater caverns to factories packed with menacing machinery!

I7271LF.png

Genre: Humorous Japanese Steam Rock Vengeance Platformer

As your quest for vengeance continues, slice and dice your enemies using axes, or squash them into submission with a well-timed leap! Jump and grapple your way through exotic worlds, dodging obstacles such as fire, collapsing platforms, pits and whirring metal blades!

Enjoy a unique gaming experience inspired by old school game mechanics, with the stylings of modern 3D games, in Wooden Sen'SeY. If you want a real challenge, speed through 30 hair-tearing levels as quickly as possible in Time Attack mode, and try to beat the developers' times in each stage!

• Jump and grapple through a number of exotic worlds
  • Dodge obstacles and defeat enemies as you make your way to the goal
  • Put your skills to the test in 30 Time Attack levels

Wii U Exclusive Features

•Play the game the way you want! We support almost anything that connects to the console: Wii U Gamepad, Wii U Pro Controller, Wii U Remote, Wii remote + Classic Controller Pro, Wii Remote + Nunchuk!
•Use motion controls: triggering the special ground stomping attack and swinging with the grapple has never been so easy!
•Off-TV play support: can't use your TV? No problem! Enjoy the game on your GamePad!
•Challenge your friends - and the whole world! - with online leaderboards!

How to Enter

Wooden Sen'SeY is notable for its stunning Japanese vistas and also for its tough-as-nails mechanics. To enter, tell me about an overlooked game you enjoyed for its punishing difficulty curve and how awesome it felt to get good at the game. Feel free to enter as many times as you like, but keep in mind you can only win one copy.

Disclaimer: I do not work for Neko Entertainment or any game company. If I'm giving away an eShop or Steam game in a thread like this, the codes are usually provided by the publisher or developer, but I am not being paid or asked to do this.

To enter, tell me about an overlooked game you enjoyed for its punishing difficulty curve and how awesome it felt to get good at the game.
The Wonderful 101 seems to fit that quite nicely. The game has some really fantastic mechanics, but it refuses to teach you. I had to go out of my way to learn its mechanics.
I imagine this is partially why it had a mixed reception, but once you learn them the game is just so good (which is why I imagine the game has a bit of a cult following here)

Spike

Ninja Gaiden - NES

I borrowed it from my friend when it first came out. I was in High school at the time (I know I'm old) but I started playing when I got home and pulled an all nighter, but I finished it. Those damn birds nearly broke me, but I never gave up and can now get through the game without any problems.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - NES

One of the toughest games on the NES. Technodrome was especially hard, but once you learn the pattern, it becomes second nature. I also finished this when I it first came out. Schoolmates didn't believe me, so I had them over on a Saturday and proceeded to finish in front of them. :)

n64coder

Dark Void Zero on Nintendo DSi eshop.

It's an old school NES styled game where you don't have any save points. It's arcade style that you need to beat the game with the lives you get. You can find stronger weapons or get a jetpack. It's a lot of fun and I never was able to beat it.

dark-void-zero-20100203052735088.jpg

maxcriden

Dark Void Zero on Nintendo DSi eshop.

It's an old school NES styled game where you don't have any save points. It's arcade style that you need to beat the game with the lives you get. You can find stronger weapons or get a jetpack. It's a lot of fun and I never was able to beat it.

dark-void-zero-20100203052735088.jpg

Oh, interesting. I don't think I heard about this one at all, thank you. I'm glad DSi Ware is still available on the 3DS eShop.

I'm going to go with Knights in the Nightmare.

Knights_in_the_Nightmare_cover.jpg

You play as a wisp of a disembodied soul from a king that just passed. He suffers from memory lost so he doesn't remember much, but as the journey goes through piece by piece drops in. The wisp must rally knights and other fighters to protect the land. The story jumps back and forth between the past and present time.

Knights in the Nightmare is a turn based strategy tactics game at its core. However other genres come into play such as real time strategy and shoot em up/bullet hell. The main goal is to kill enemies in a tic tac toe fashion across the matrix board. It sounds simple enough, but there's various stages you have to understand to fully enjoy this game. Due to this the game has been overlooked. The game has its own tutorial which can take up to an hour to fully go through, so you can see why many have pass on it or overlooked it. The game does have a pretty steep learning curve, but it's really something special once you even get half of what's going on. Now I will try my best to present most of the basics. If you feel that mine was a bit unclear I will put some of the Atlus tutorial videos at the bottom.

hqdefault.jpg

Your main character so to speak is the wisp ( bright white light in the picture). You can easily move the wisp around the map. The wisp controls everything on the map for your team. You see that shadow outline on the picture? That's one of your knights, you simply drag the wisp into it and you can attack. There's regular attacks in which you can charge up or you can drag an item from the item bar and give it to your knight for a special attack. However you need MP and the knight needs to be able to use that weapon for special attacks to work. In order to get MP you need to kill/damage enemies, once you do they will spit out gems which you need to collect with the wisp that restores your MP. They can also drop new items and weapons. When attacking the game will show you the range in which you can attack just like any strategy turn based game.

Now your life bar is the time section. Enemies will attack your wisp by shooting out bullets and such. If you get hit by such your time will decrease, your time also decreases when you use a attack so make sure to plan ahead before touching any of your units to prevent wasting time. You can cancel attacks, but you won't regain the lost time that you used.Once your time is dropped to zero your turn is over.

Next up is the phase act. The game has two which are law and chaos. You can switch between the two by going counter clock wise . Some weapons are only allowed in certain phases, so you might have to switch back and forth to be able to use some. It is ideal to bring in an even number of weapons for each phase before you go into battle. Changing phases also changes the attack range in which your knights can attack. Skills also changes between phases, most of the time they end up doing something completely new. Different job classes also have perks if their skills are used in a certain phase. So you will be changing phases a lot of the time and all for good reasons.

At the top left corner you see 0 Hits. That area right there is the rush count system. While in each turn the number of hits will rack up there. If you hit a certain number of hits you might trigger an effect from a weapon. Each weapon has different effect at different rush count number hits. The effects from the weapons stay in put for a good bit of time.

Now you see the for victory grid on that picture? That is the kill matrix, it shows where the enemies are and the color bar is also their life meter. Once their life meter goes to zero the words KILL will appear in that space. As I said earlier you need a tic tac toe to clear the map. Now it may take a bit of time, since enemies might not land in such a way. Fear not though, because between turns on the bottom screen a slot like machine pops up that places more enemies on the map for you to get that tic tac toe. While the machine is going you can choose which enemy/ies to appear on the screen if you're quick enough that is. Eventually the matrix will get bigger and you will have more enemies to appear on the screen.

For boss fights, they don't use the kill matrix instead HP and a rage bar appears. The rage bar is simply their meter for their most powerful move. They gain meter by getting hit or using a certain skill. The rage bar will shrink the weaker the boss gets allowing him to go into rage mode much easier. Each boss has a certain item weakness if you use it on them it slashes their meter and changes how they gain meter for the rest of the match.

That's pretty much the basics, but the game gets more complex as you go along. I can't cover everything, since I'm not totally crazy. However if you are planning to try this title out I would advise to skim through at least the tutorial. There's also various other things such as recruiting characters ( which I believe are 200ish that you can get), adjusting characters' skills upgrading and merging items. Hell you can even merge two characters souls to improve one's health. (This action cannot be reversed.) The game also allows you to replay earlier maps , so if you don't have time or just want to grind you can. There's various difficulty modes, so you can adjust to what you think you can handle.

This game does have a stiff learning curve and while going further in later levels it can get quite crazy with everything that is going on. I can see why many would be turned off from it. I enjoyed this very much and it's packed with things to do. As I said earlier I'm putting some the tutorial videos here and I even found some that showed off some of the different classes.

easy tutorials

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWJSTpIouL4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7puD-dR-dQ

classes videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHTCqK6t5bk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzDXG5SteVo

video showing off some gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfzoPvDEgKg

ElDuderino

Mike Tyson's Punchout

I remember throwing my controller several times as a kid. Sandman, Super Macho Man, and Tyson haunted me for years. Thats not to say Bald Bull, Soda Popinski and others weren't difficult but those 3 had their difficulty ramped up. One of my greatest gaming moments tkoing Iron Mike. Love that game now.

Monster Hunter! To me, one of the best series ever!

MH has a bit of an old-styled gameplay philosophy, in that the game gives the player full control over his attacks and the camera, and that makes it quite unforgiving for beginner.

Newbies complain that there's no auto-target, and say that it's clunky, but they don't get it's all part of the game's strategic gameplay. You need to be in full control of your swings, because:

First, you're aiming at a especific spot in the monsters' body, like belly, head or tail. Each has different weaknesses, or maybe you want to break or cut a certain part, so you need to aim you shots;

Second, each attack from each weapon has a different timing, and to make your blows land where you want them to you need to control your direction (and know the monsters' attacks too).

With careful study of the monsters' moves and experience with you weapon, you slowly optimize you hunt. It's great how you go from failing quests, to actually completing them, to doing them faster and faster. Of course some research on weapons and armor skills goes a long way into getting what's best for you play style.

mh3u-3.jpg

Same way as the attacks, people often complained about the camera. The manual camera is ass at first (especially outside the Wii MH games) but after you learn it you enjoy having full control on it too. Besides, now with MH3U they did add some auto-target for big monsters in case you're lost (I don't know how good it is because I've never used it, but it's there nonetheless).

Of course the game is a bit grindy, but that's good in a way because it actually forces you to learn to fight a monster you'd otherwise ignore (happened to me too many times). You end up learning to fight every monster in the games well and what was a chore once becomes more and more fun.

f7da9188b7f8ca633ddc2104be2f59cf.jpg

Now, I'm fine with just the gameplay aspect, but for some people the allure is simply to fight big monsters. One thing that helps the illusion is that the hunts usually take a long time, especially in the older games hunts could take from 15 minutes to the full 50 minutes (the game's time limit). This helps the monsters feel like real threats in an almost realistic way. Also the great animations and sounds help the immersion a lot.

eba976f97159bcec53b2be894961bd03.jpg

Ever since I played the first MH like 5 years ago I flt in love with the series and played all the major releases (except Frontier...) I highly recommend it to anyone willing to give the game the time it needs to shine (or you to shine in it). Starting with MH3U is a good idea, since it it's more polished than the older games and less frustrating to a beginner.

Texan365

Pilotwings Resort

box-art-386x342.jpg

One of the first games out on the 3DS. Everyone said it was a great display of the 3D capability
and it really is
, but it was seriously overlooked since this was before the huge price drop.

Anyways, I bought it for like $10 on Amazon and expected a couple hours of flying around and then probably put it away forever. Man, I have never been so wrong. Sure, the Novice and Bronze missions are piss easy to perfect, but around the first Silver missions I started to need a couple of tries to get a perfect
I'm one of those gamers that must have a perfect score if possible haha
. Then I get to Gold. Difficult, but eventually cleared 'em. Nice. Then Platinum. Jesus, that was hard, glad it's ove....then Diamond....hardest 3 missions of my life. I can barely pass them, let alone perfect them.

This is the mission I'm stuck on to this day...
http://youtu.be/DoJLNS0mkII?t=2m57s

Basically, you need to learn every aspect of that mission's vehicle
and there are a lot of vehicles
and the course, which can span a tight space on Wuhu Island or go from one island to another in one go. The objectives of the missions are actually a lot more varied and fun than you would think and the later missions combine a lot of objectives into one tough challenge. Be able to perform tight maneuvers, keep up your speed, land gently, and take every shortcut you can to whittle down your time. Eventually you'll be an ace pilot and feel like a badass as the muscle memory in your thumbs takes over. God it feels so good to get a perfect.

And after all that stress, exploring the island in Free Flight mode while listening to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSHfGFSFHnA...
542058_full.jpg

...is pretty damn relaxing.

It's not on sale right now, but it is pretty old and I'm sure a deal can be had in the coming months. Buy it, it's fun.

Camjo-Z

I struggled to come up with an answer for this one. I was going to say Rabi Laby, but I already made a whole thread about that. Then I thought about Umihara Kawase, but you did a giveaway for that one not too long ago so it'd be an obvious choice. So after much deliberation, here's one for you: Earth Defense Force 2017!
GcdEoM8.jpg

You'll face big clumsy robots!

Unlike most games with punishing difficulty, the challenge isn't forced on the player. You don't actually ever have to experience the nightmarish hell known as Inferno unless you want to. Aside from a few beefed up weapon variants and one BFG obtained by clearing the mode completely, everything else can be unlocked by playing on the Easy, Normal, Hard, and Hardest settings. And because most of the weapons are obtained on those difficulties, they're basically a requirement for Inferno unless you have a death wish.
ZSGmxjN.jpg

Giant killer ants!

On Inferno, all of your skills get put to the test. Not only do the enemies require way more firepower to defeat, but they also dish out way more damage than you could handle previously. Just a few strands of webbing from a rogue spider can take you out in seconds. It's incredibly rewarding to beat these stages though, because you have to pretty much master the game. You need to know exactly how the enemies will act, where they spawn, what weapons will be most effective, and what route you should take through the areas.
5anusVM.jpg

And defunct gaming websites! Wait, no, that's just the watermark.

Aside from a few gimmick levels where you only need to wipe out a couple of enemies, there's no cheesing your way through Inferno. It's so hard, I've had the game for years and I'm only halfway through it, since it can easily take hours to puzzle and plan your way through just one mission. It's so hard, I couldn't even get halfway through it on my own! I had to play co-op and have my brother lay down turrets and snipe bug nests from the rooftops.

Anyway, bottom line: if you want an experience that will truly test your gaming mettle, then EDF 2017 will BRING IT!

Zangeki no Reginleiv on some harder difficulties this game was brutal and i really enjoyed it and online mode was a blast and was a little upset to see it not do so well im japan not get localized.

c_l1262024462_37.jpg

Kevtones

Spyborgs

Famous for selling triple digits in its launch month, this co-op brawler brought a simple but effective combat system along with a ton of worthwhile content. It's packed with 40+ levels filled with variety, secrets and interesting boss encounters that mesh spectacle and new mechanics.

spyborgs0616.jpg

The game is made by some really nice guys famous for their dev on the Ratchet series and the polish shows through the weighty mechanics. With three archetypal characters that effectively differentiate, there's plenty of replay and with the secrets/unlockables, there's great reason to revisit levels over and over again.

Spyborgs-Y3J.jpg

spyborgs-screenshot.jpg

The game even looked kinda nice too. Thanks for the opportunity OP!

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I think the obvious choice for me is beatmania IIDX.

5XeeO8x.jpg

When I was out of high school, the first post-HS community I found was through playing Dance Dance Revolution. I made friends there that I still have today. And we played a ton... at the arcade. Playing at home wasn't something I enjoyed, so I wanted a different music game. I'd heard IIDX was neat so I imported a JPS2, a controller, and 6th Style.

I got rekt.

One of my friends was super into the game and the ludicrous difficulty curve. We bonded over how badly it kicked our ass. I was a poor college student and had to sell my JPS2 and IIDX since I needed the money and we stopped playing.

Eventually though, we got this abomination in the West:

OOkIIqZ.jpg

It was accessible and a cheap controller so the two of us bought it and started playing again. The song selection was shit and the difficulty curve was even worse somehow, but we had fun and decided to import RED.

MEZ5eYq.gif

This is what really made me fall in love with the series. The improvements the CS versions made between 6th and RED were just ridiculous. Having access to play all the songs on an easier difficulty made it easier to learn the game, rather than playing Jelly Kiss five hundred times.

I don't play it enough, but whenever I do I am absolutely enthralled by it. The game design is elegant. It's never cheap. You're successful based on your own input. It's a really brilliant game.

casiopao

Shinobi series while not as famous as Ninja Gaiden, is also one of the hardest game I had ever played. For this one, I would give more focus to Shinobi 3D which is released by Gryptonite Games for Nintendo 3DS.

shinobi3d-17.jpg

In this game u play as the older Shinobi M.C's father. While as other older classic games, the story is not the main points. The scene on each stage makes u see how cool Shinobi is.

shinobi1.jpg

Now, the main focus of these games is the gameplay and boy it is intense and trully rewarding if u dwelve into the game.

This game provide u with several simple button to play. Slash button, jump button, kunai(throwing knives), magic(4 kinds of magic) and parry button. Yup "parry" and no block moves.
However if u are able to master them, u are going to be able to enhance(power up) ur blade. To cause more damage and get more points as long as u does not get hit just like this picture below.

shinobi_review-5.jpg

This game also had tons of difficulties level. From very easy to easy to normal, hard, very hard and shinobi.

To even finish shinobi, u are only given 3 lifes to finish all these highly difficult, challenging and yet fair game.

The graphics is also highly stylish with more colors and 3d effects like explosion. There is even After Burner stage.

Hoped that this mini review is helpful for fans of Shinobi who is still on fence till now lol.

(While I hoped I can win the game, I hoped that more people would love to try this game more here. It is a great game guys. Challenging too.)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Within Wii U or personal experience?

The_Wonderful_101_Unite_Morph_battle_screenshot.png

The Wonderful 101 is both punishment and reward. It punishes folks who didn't learn the system and its underlying things (even subtle ones, like Wonder Fist being able to absorb fire attacks) and rewards players with deliciousness when they learn all of those stuff.

valkyrie-profile-2-silmeria-20060926092232559.jpg

Personally though, I consider Valkyrie Profile 2 to be an underlooked difficult but rewarding game. Much like W101, it punishes people who do not learn the system (in particular, AP conservation, use of skills, and sealstones) and rewards those who knows how to play the game with great drops, great gameplay, and amazing spectacles. The gameplay is simple like W101 and the simplicity can lure people into a lazy/casual setup, but those who master the system will get more out of the game. Sample.

maxcriden

Congrats to our winners!

I struggled to come up with an answer for this one. I was going to say Rabi Laby, but I already made a whole thread about that. Then I thought about Umihara Kawase, but you did a giveaway for that one not too long ago so it'd be an obvious choice. So after much deliberation, here's one for you: Earth Defense Force 2017!

Spyborgs

Famous for selling triple digits in its launch month, this co-op brawler brought a simple but effective combat system along with a ton of worthwhile content. It's packed with 40+ levels filled with variety, secrets and interesting boss encounters that mesh spectacle and new mechanics.

I think the obvious choice for me is beatmania IIDX.

5XeeO8x.jpg

When I was out of high school, the first post-HS community I found was through playing Dance Dance Revolution. I made friends there that I still have today. And we played a ton... at the arcade. Playing at home wasn't something I enjoyed, so I wanted a different music game. I'd heard IIDX was neat so I imported a JPS2, a controller, and 6th Style.

Top Bottom