• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GmanLives - Remembering the Aliens versus Predator games

R6Rider

Gold Member

This one is kinda underrated from the Sniper Elite guys. It was cool how they did 3 separate campaigns, 1 for the Aliens, 1 for Predator, 1 for marines.
Yeah I had fun with this one. Played it on PS3 originally, and then bought it again on PC a few years back.

skit_data

That 2010 one looks really great even now.
It looks pretty impressive no doubt but I’ve honestly barely played it despite being very excited about the game. I tried playing some multiplayer and found both the Xenomorph and Predators movement very rigid and off (especially the Xenos wallcrawling)

AVP2 still holds up pretty well in my opinion, I remember thinking the alien and human campaigns were fantastic.

I remember the 2010 version having some cool sections too and was an ok reboot to the franchise. Would have loved to see more.

H4ze

Great video, I played the shit out of AvP 2010 back in the day and loved the marines camapagne. The sound of the machineguns ist just so damn satisfying.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Good games or not the crossover between those aliens should have never happened.

Last edited:
AvP2 must have been one of the best single player campaigns ever, and the online was amazing especially the predator hunt mode, shame it released before online had really taken off. The rebellion 360 avp game Multiplayer just wasnt as good as the old AvP2.

Laptop1991

Great games, loved both Alien vs Predaror 1 and 2, the feeling when the motion sensor was starting then going mad while playing as the marine was really unnerving

Drizzlehell

Banned

This one is kinda underrated from the Sniper Elite guys. It was cool how they did 3 separate campaigns, 1 for the Aliens, 1 for Predator, 1 for marines.
They were also the OGs who started this whole series in the first place. I liked the 2010 game a lot but it didn't really hold the candle to the 1999 game tbh.

I mean, obviously, AvP '99 looks antiquated by today's standards but for its time it was such a novelty and it stood out among its peers, while the 2010 game was merely an okay shooter that could barely stand against other games that were coming out at the time.

I kinda wish they'd make a whole Predator game based on the ideas introduced in AvP 2010, though. That was my favorite campaign in that game and it just felt so badass using all those gadgets to sneakily hunt for Aliens and humans.

shaddam

AVP 2 marine mission 1 :messenger_fearful: That shit traumatized me as a child. I love the game, I host one multiplayer server for 2-3 years. There are 1-2 crazies in the community but the rest of it is pretty laidback.
avp99 with texture packs looks really cool

DD5B5ABAEB0A6E9EE19F38D264D8775644BD7F17

Last edited:

RagnarokIV

I would love RTX remix of AVP2 - the BEST of all AVP games. Multiplayer was INSANE - you could enable "alien life cycle" for fun, which meant alien players start as facehugger and get their prey and then develop into an alien.
Campaigns were damn good too.

Pakoe

GMan is the goat. The marine campaign from AvP2 (I think?) was the most scariest shit I had played at that time. Genuinely freaked me out.

Just finished the vid, it definitely was AvP2.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

You would have thought AVP for the Jaguar would have led the platform to games of equally such great calibre...but it didn't and on top of the fact there was meant to be an AVP 2 for the Jag I think for the CD-unit..

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
You would have thought AVP for the Jaguar would have led the platform to games of equally such great calibre...but it didn't and on top of the fact there was meant to be an AVP 2 for the Jag I think for the CD-unit..
Thankfully the jag was mercy killed pretty quickly.

I played AvP2, Extinction and 2010. Very good games.

AvP Extinction was quite good on PS2 but it was weird they didn't port it to PC. Of course, the game wasn't perfect and there were performance slowdowns during big fights but yeah.
I wish AvP 2010 had a large playerbase. Currently, only one server is almost full on regular basis. Saad.

RAIDEN1

Thankfully the jag was mercy killed pretty quickly.
Well you say that but the developers of that AVP game knew how to get the most out of the Jag, and I think the sequel would have also likely have been somewhat of a showcase for the machine (in theory)

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Well you say that but the developers of that AVP game knew how to get the most out of the Jag, and I think the sequel would have also likely have been somewhat of a showcase for the machine (in theory)
Oh sure. It would have been interesting to see.

skit_data

GMan is the goat. The marine campaign from AvP2 (I think?) was the most scariest shit I had played at that time. Genuinely freaked me out.

Just finished the vid, it definitely was AvP2.
I never found AvP2 very scary, wheras AvP 99 scared the shit out of me.
Maybe it mostly came down to me being a little bit older and having spent more time playing games in general.
In the case of AvP it mostly came down to learning the Xenomorph bots were not the ever patient, lurking, wall running killers I imagines when I was 9 years old but instead they came running towards you with their arms flailing while screaming their head off. They improved that aspect in AvP2 though, at least the wall crawling part.

But I actually also consider AvP 99 visually more impressive in some aspects (mostly lighting and shadows) that just adds to the overall sense of dread.
IIRC, there must’ve been som type of enemy randomization going on in AvP 99 because enemies would not appear in the same area at times or the number of enemies would change. I don’t think AvP2 worked that way, but I could be wrong.

AvP2 was overall the better game though, especially the multiplayer. It was my first ”real” multiplayer experience and I was very surprised the 2010 game felt like it was taking steps back instead of further improving on the formula, because the core gameplay in AvP2 was/is damn solid still to this day.

I might actually have to give the 2010 games campaign another shot, felt sorta blasphemous making this thread because my only experience with it was trying out the multiplayer and really bouncing off because I found the movement controls and melee combat system was abysmal.

Edit: I wonder if the movement controls playing the xeno and predator was simply necessary due to the geometry of the maps simply getting too complex or something. I remember having to press specific buttons just to transition from surface to surface and when going through vents when playing as xeno, it just didn’t feel intuitive at all compared to AvP 99 and AvP2. Playing as a predator also felt too clunky, slow and tedious. I guess the aimable leap made sense to get some manouverability but I really liked the crouch-jump from AvP2 better.

Anyway, I will probably just buy it on the steam link posted earlier ITT and try to approach it with an open mind. It definitely holds up rather well visually compared to many other games from that era. My late 2013 iMac should be able to run it with decent settings via boot camp, which is something I can rarely say about any PC game nowadays.

Last edited:

The campaigns are incredibly short and a lot of the environments are re-used. The marine campaign is the one that's had the most work and love put into it. I played the multiplayer and it was absolutely badass running through the jungle with your team of Predators and attempting to hunt the marines from above, but the whole combat and hit detection are all janky which ultimately ruins the entire experience.

MiguelItUp

Man, I absolutely ADORED these games. So damn much.

I hope they revisit the IP again someday, and in the best way yet. It'd be awesome to see them take everything from the previous games, and just put it into a new one. The xeno evolution in campaign and multiplayer, the ability to destroy light sources in campaign and multiplayer, xeno cacooning (what if they could do something similar to the hive tech in NS2?), being able to skin humans and take trophies as a Predator, etc.

There are SO many things they could do, and it's honestly surprising we haven't seen it yet IMO. I hope that we do someday. 🤞

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
AVP3 was not very good. Its just so…dry. I wasn’t crazy about AVP2 either when I played it in 2019 but I can imagine at launch it was pretty damn cool/scary. I played AVP3 at launch, however, and even back then it felt very been-there-done that. And there’s so. much. brown.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I would love to see someone give the RTS another try. The three distinct races is a natural fit for the genre, lots of cool potential units, scenarios, planets, it's just ready made for the genre.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I would love to see someone give the RTS another try. The three distinct races is a natural fit for the genre, lots of cool potential units, scenarios, planets, it's just ready made for the genre.

Not an RTS fan but agreed. Its the perfect setup. Good opportunity to get crazy with xeno designs, like Flyer-types and heavy Brute/Praetorian units.

Top Bottom